: Starbucks hates Haidas

MasterBlaster
Apr 16th, 2003, 06:59 PM
a

macello
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Starbucks could be more consistent with their corporate culture substituting the "b" with "f". graemlins/scream.gif

MacDoc
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Yeah well it's Timothy's for me for a while :mad: Goofball American brats :rolleyes:

Vote with your graemlins/greedy.gif graemlins/greedy.gif

jrtech
Apr 16th, 2003, 07:59 PM
Having been to Masset, which is basically in the middle of nowhere, I do not see what harm is being done by having a bit of fun with a name variation. :D tongue.gif

MasterBlaster
Apr 16th, 2003, 08:33 PM
a

MACSPECTRUM
Apr 16th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Maybe the Americans are planning to use this as an excuse to invade the Queen Charlotte Islands?
"Liberate", not invade.

Havoc
Apr 16th, 2003, 09:32 PM
[email protected]!&%s coffee is crap anyway.

P&ss on 'em. graemlins/ptptptptptpt.gif

jfpoole
Apr 16th, 2003, 10:07 PM
The thing to keep in mind with trademarks is that if the owner of a trademark stops defending it, then they can lose that trademark.

Since HaidaBucks is similar to Starbucks and is in a similar field (both are restaurants/cafes), I can understand why Starbucks is threatening legal action. Whether or not it'll go anywhere is another question entirely; I've no idea how similar a name has to be to a trademark before it is considered infringing.

MacNutt
Apr 16th, 2003, 11:54 PM
There would seem to be some similarity there. I know that the holders of the Starbucks name are very picky about this sort of thing because a guy in Victoria had a small coffee house called "Starcups" and he had to change it to "mr.beans", because he got several nasty lawyer-letters from a big law firm threatening him with action if he didn't.

Good thing nobody in the Queen Charlottes is building motorcycles and calling them "Haida-Davidsons"...

Now THOSE guys are REALLY serious about their trade name. Boy HOWDY! :eek: :D

jrtech
May 11th, 2003, 08:50 PM
Seems that HaidaBucks is gathering support for their battle with the giant Starbucks. They also have a website (http://www.haidabuckscafe.com/) , good for them not to roll over and give into the pressure. I am sure this will be an interesting confrontation if it does go the distance.