: After the war (reconstruction / legacy)

CubaMark
Mar 31st, 2003, 11:37 AM
I see from the BBC today that Dick Cheney's "former" company, Haliburton, is not shortlisted for the post-war oilfield reconstruction:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2901793.stm

Excerpt:
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
The US policy of awarding contracts only to US companies has drawn sharp criticism from overseas governments and companies.

Differences have even emerged between the British and US allies over who should rebuild the Iraqi port of Umm Qasr.

USAID has awarded a $4.8m to rebuild Iraq's only deep water port, which is under British military control, to US company Stevedoring Services of America.

The British would like it returned to Iraqi control as a goodwill gesture.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

messy, messy, messy....

M

PosterBoy
Mar 31st, 2003, 04:20 PM
I am not at all surprised. America has never started a war that didn;t serve their own interests, and this is continuing proof of that.

Another interesting note is that in Bush's coalition of the willing, he talks about them all as the invading force, but if you look at the list there are a few of them (noteably Japan) that are only pledged to help rebuild after the war, not fight in it.

Funny, I thought that was our position as well, but we aren't a part of the coalition. hmmm.

--PB

AlienRadar
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:30 PM
There's lots more contracts to be awarded; I'm sure Halliburton will be at the trough.Estimated rebuilding costs are $100 billion.

Maybe they'll get to build the US military base that's going into Iraq.

Ooops...geez ! D'ya think they forgot to tell the Brits about that,too? I think the Brits and the US have very different ideas about how things are going to be run afterwards.

The US has informed the UN that the $$$ in the Iraq Oil/Food acct. is now US property and will they quit buggering around and release it.

After all Blair's done for Bush in contributing what tiny shred of credibility to this mess that there might be, I suspect he's going to wake up one morning feeling like his new boyfriend
just had his way with him and isnt returning his calls.

MACSPECTRUM
Mar 31st, 2003, 06:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The US has informed the UN that the $$$ in the Iraq Oil/Food acct. is now US property and will they quit buggering around and release it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
You'd think they would wait until the actually took over the country. Or, does Cheney have a hot stock tip?

Didn't Bush say that the oil belonged to the Iraqi people, ergo so does the food?