: Don Cherry VS. Ron McLean

iLabmAn
Mar 26th, 2003, 11:34 PM
Did anyone catch this?

IS there a site out there with a recording of their tirade or at least a transcript? I want to hear the whole thing.

Clockwork
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:36 AM
I wouldn't mind reading that as well. I heard something like 60% of the 1000 or so emails CBC received were anti-War.

MaxPower
Mar 27th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Can someone fill me in on this? I heard mention of this the other day, But I never found out what really happened.

MACSPECTRUM
Mar 27th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Coach's Corner.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/coach.html

Please write a letter to CBC and let's get Mon. Cerise off the air once and for all.

His contract with CBC is only week-to-week so he can be let go very soon. Listen to the very end of his clip. You'll even hear him saying he will be looking for a job soon.

CBC says that the letters are running about 6-4 against Cherry, so far.

Pamela
Mar 27th, 2003, 02:11 PM
I just watched the clip.

After hearing the news the past couple of weeks, I am finding this general pattern that the older male generations seem to be supporting the Americans.

I would assume it's because most of them have been through various wars, and also have been trained to think a certain way because of it. Their opinions are highly emotional as well.

I don't think Cherry was offensive in that clip. I just think he has a position and that he's standing by. Just like Ron MacLean. Of course if he was more articulate it wouldn't sound so "bad". It also seems that his opinions are highly based on emotion rather than facts. Fair enough.

At least in this country he is allowed to say what he feels, compared to south of the border right now.

I don't think I've ever experienced such a conflict that has raised so many different views and positions. It's a tough one. I don't think anyone can pretend to know what's *really* going on here. So it's tough to really make a decision. So many hidden politics, so much propaganda. I wonder who does really know all the facts? Probably Bush I for starters.

PosterBoy
Mar 28th, 2003, 02:16 PM
I think if Cherry wasn't such a loudmouth then probably it wouldn't have sounded quite so bad. I agree with Pamela on that one.

Personally I don't relaly like Don Cherry, and the only reason that I don't mute Coach's Corner is Ron McLean (when I actuall watch HNIC that is), but he does have millions of Fans so I doubt we'll see him off the air anytime soon.

--PB

iLabmAn
Mar 28th, 2003, 11:39 PM
Ok.

I just finished watching the full clip again. I must say that it is time for Cherry to go.

That's it. :mad:

Cynical Critic
Mar 29th, 2003, 04:10 AM
Cherry and McLean offer an interesting point-counterpoint; however, I'm always amazed McLean has the restraint not to smack or even strangle Cherry some days. I appreciate Cherry's passion but he's a real loud-mouthed blow-hard. Or, rather, the nice way of putting it is that he's a "real character." ;)

Griller
Mar 29th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Wow, just saw that for the first time. That was probably the most heated Coach's Corner (CC) that I've seen. I've liked Don Cherry up until now just for the fact that he's entertaining. A lot of times him and McLean are hiliarious.

If the CBC knows what's good for business, they'll keep Cherry. CC is ten times more interesting than the '40-Minute Boring Stove.'

No doubt though Cherry's comments here were really opinionated. If he didn't yell at the top of his lungs while trying to have a normal discussion and wasn't so concerned with getting in the last word (whatever that's worth) AND if he was as calm and articulate as McLean, no one would have a problem with this. They simply had a healthy argument, but Cherry was loud and annoying (much like people Hardball or LK Live which are albeit much more dedicated to this type of content, unlike the average CC).

All in all, Cherry should stay but should admit he got caught up in the moment, but trust me I would've liked to smack that smug look off his face at the end of that CC though. :mad: smile.gif