: Must watch for perspective on this war

ehMax
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Last night when I couldn't sleep I watched on CBC they aired a PBS documentary from the show called Frontline called The Long Road to War (http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeyesunday/feature_230303.html). Absolutely fascinating program to watch. The most informative perspective on the conflict with Iraq that I could imagine. Fascinating behind the scenes look at how this all came about from the pre-George Bush Sr. days to George Bush Jr and how the US came up with their current foreign policy and what their future foreign policy might be.

There is also a special PBS web site (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/longroad/) with lots of the information that was discussed in the program.

Intersting (for lack of a better word) times we are in and will be in the upcoming years.

MACSPECTRUM
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:34 AM
I too watched that show last night on CBC.

I agree. Required viewing as a primer for what is going on.

Well researched and documented.

Bravo PBS !

used to be jwoodget
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:03 AM
EhMax, what was your take on the PBS documentary? Did it keep you awake or help you sleep?

ehMax
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Good question. ;) Kept me awake actually. Oddly, I fell asleep right after Saddam's live speech.

I guess I don't know quite what to think about the facts in the program. The situation 2..5..10 years from now in Iraq will be interesting in how it unfolds.

America has so much power. I think it is possible that its power could be used to bring good change to the world. Emphasis on could. That's the somewhat intriguing part. The scary part is that its power.... well... you know.

MacDoc
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Wish I had seen that - I'll keep an eye out.
PBS is and has been and will continue to be a thorn in the side of the "controlling" government in the US.
After 911 they were one of the few voices of reason.
PBS is one aspect of American society I do admire.... along with the library system which has been a huge influence in tempering the "morality police" that crop up from time to time. :rolleyes:

Can I suggest a "program alert" thread that is continually updated when interesting documentaries like this are on. I watch ehMac frequently and alerts like that are appreciated.
:D
It would also serve as a list of what is worth watching.

Dr.G.
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Macdoc, an interesting idea. We could then expand that thread during Federal elections, in that the polls close here in NL before anywhere else. I could post the results of a "........." (you fill in the blank) landslide/small majority/minority/whatever government. Actually, St.John's North (which was St.John's East) has usually sent an opposition member to the House. Thus, whatever happens in St.John's will be reversed by the time it gets to MacNutt's turn to vote. MacNutt voting NDP or Liberal? We shall see.

Seriously, I like the idea of a thread dedicated for sharing a "heads up" pertaining to educational events on TV/radio, much like we are sharing our views pertaining to "interesting readings" of books.

used to be jwoodget
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:10 PM
I think we'd all be better off if the US administration dumped its current doctrine of "might is right". If the US is only ever seen as protecting its own interests, it will end up an isolationist state, feared by all other nations. There has to be common good. By redefining its interests in terms that are less selfish, America could regain its mantle of respect and benefit from increased stability. This is not Bush's game plan, as far as I can see.

It's utterly incredible that he has managed to alienate so much of the world in pursuit of one of the worlds most ugly and widely condemned regimes!

Dr.G.
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:15 PM
jwoodget, you have hit the proverbial nail "right on the head". This is what makes an opposition to the war and an opposition to Hussein and a desire to see him gone from power in Iraq, so difficult a fence to "sit upon". Personally, I straddle this fence as best I can, having people from both sides of this fence hurl vindictives at me with the shouts of "hypocrit".

I shudder to think about how the US will raise the $75-80+ billions of dollars to pay for the war/reconstruction. I can only estimate how many children might be fed world wide from the cost of one rocket or bomb. :(

AlienRadar
Mar 24th, 2003, 12:19 PM
I watched it, and thought it was very well done...certainly more entertaining than the Oscars, a colossal bore except for Michael Moore. smile.gif

It makes you think...what would be happening today if Colin Powell had been around the night Bush gave his speech on TV after 9/11 instead of being out of the country? Would the Bush Doctrine have had the chance to evolve into what we currently have before us?

No surprise than Josef Stalin is Saddam's personal hero.And it makes sense that the only way Saddam is going to leave Iraq is in a coffin.Was it just the translator, or was Saddam's speech this AM the greatest cure for insomnia ever devised?

It appears that hopes that he would give up at some point and save everyone a lot of bloodshed arent gonna happen.

Hopefully, Newsworld will re-run this excellent documentary for those who may have missed it.

gordguide
Mar 24th, 2003, 01:20 PM
CBC has also been peroidically re-running the show about the Patriot missile system and it's performance/deployment in the first Gulf War.

Strange to have seen that and this (Monday) morning have a CBC announcer repeatedly say that he couldn't understand how a Tornado could be shot down by a Patriot since it "was designed to hit missiles, not aircraft" (something I have also heard recently from announcers on other networks). He should view his own network from time to time.