: Spring is Here!!!! (almost)

Dr.G.
Mar 20th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Well, it is T minus 60 minutes until the official start of spring here in St.John's. St.John's "Salty", our groundhog prognosticator predicted an early spring. He, sadly, was burried under a two meter drift of snow from the blizzard we had on Groundhog Day. Still, we are set to dig him up to see if he is smiling (a sign that by tomorrow morning the 525cm of snow this winter will be ALL gone). People have gathered down in Bannerman Park to see this yearly event unfold once again. I shall take the doxies down to the park, just in case they need some help digging Salty out from under the 9 meter (yes that is NINE meter) pile of snow that has been his "home" since Feb.2nd. Wish us luck!!!!!!!!!

Just in case I forget, or get mobbed in the frantic "rites of spring" that we celebrate here in St.John's (think of Druids and kids on the last day of public school), may you all have a warm and peaceful first day of Spring.............a time of rejuvination and rebirth..........a time when we may all reflect upon what the long months of winter have done to our spirits/souls.........and to know that we have survived. Yes, springtime in St.John's is something to be shared with ALL of my friends here in ehMacLand. Paix.

Chealion
Mar 20th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Congrats on 2000 posts, Dr. G, this was your 2000th Post!!!! And well enjoy your spring, mine won't start for another 5 hours, but we'll I'm looking forward to some parts of it. Like no snow, warmth and the heralding of the end of public schooling for the rest of my life.

Dr.G.
Mar 20th, 2003, 10:33 PM
Thank you, Chealion. My wife is from Calgary, and misses the springtime out west, but likes our falls here in St.John's. Such is Life.

What exactly did you mean by the "...the heralding of the end of public schooling for the rest of my life."? Might I assume that you mean graduation from high school/college/university??? Hopefully, you will appreciate the fact, if you don't already, that all knowledge need not come from the classroom or a teacher, and that learning is a lifelong journey. As my grandfather would say, "What you are to be you are just now becoming." Kudos.

Chealion
Mar 20th, 2003, 11:11 PM
Dr. G, college and university tend to not be considered public schooling as the taxpayer isn't paying for your education as in K-12. So yes, graduation from High School. Knowledge from the classroom? I thought that the classroom was only a place where it was collected and discussed occasionally so you could show the government you know some basics of how the world works.

4 hours and counting to Spring time :D Thanks Dr. G

Dr.G.
Mar 21st, 2003, 06:38 AM
Chealion, I concur with Macnutt. I did not want to insult you by saying "Kudos on graduation from high school", when you were about to get a Master's degree after you six years of scholarship. Actually, in the state of Georgia, university is publically funded if you maintain a "B" average or better. The lottery that they set up for the Olympics is still being utilized, but with the funds going to education.

Anyway, enjoy spring.

RicktheChemist
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:06 AM
It was beautiful here yesterday.. but if you check out my pictures on here: RtC PhotoAlbum (http://homepage.mac.com/rscy/PhotoAlbum27.html)

You can see that it's still very winter like here, notice the cabins down on the ice, and how the ice has not broken in the bay yet... sigh...

Cheers,

RtC

Dr.G.
Mar 21st, 2003, 08:55 AM
RtC, a beautiful site. We sent some pictures of our front to my wife's father in Calgary. He has been to our house during the summertime, so he has an idea of what he is looking at as to the scale of the house and the snow banks. He thought that we had somehow "touched" up the picture, since the main "mound" of snow looks as if a city bus was hidden underneath.

As Charlie Brown always said, "Sigh......."

Someday soon..........................

MacNutt
Mar 21st, 2003, 01:46 PM
Springtime has been in effect out here for sometime. It's been a pretty good one so far. :cool:

Chealion...congrats on ending your servitude to the publicly-funded education system. I still have trouble imagining that someone as well-informed and erudite as yourself can possibly be less than two decades old! (boggles the mind, really) :eek: :cool:

I think that you are particularly well prepared to move into the halls of higher learning...and that you will do very well indeed.

Your journey has just begun.

Unimagined wonders lie before you. This world we live in is an amazing place. Enjoy! :D :cool:

Dr.G.
Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:23 AM
Sunny and very blue skies here on a mild (+4C) St.John's morning. The glare off of the snow in Churchill Park is incredible, in that it looks like someone has randomly spread millions of diamonds around the park. The doxies are feeling that first hint of spring...............as do I.

Peace to everyone............spring is here!

MacDoc
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:34 AM
I'm having a hard time coping with robins on my lawn - I was thoroughly convinced my lawn was a glacier aborning. tongue.gif
I mean this is like a 1 week change. Maybe the robins control the weather. tongue.gif Decided to stay south a bit longer for a convention or something. :D

Chealion
Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:32 PM
Dr. G, macnutt - redface.gif Thanks.

RtC - nice pictures, I wish I could be that good.

Dr.G.
Mar 23rd, 2003, 07:15 PM
Macdoc, back in February, I saw what looked like 30+ robins in the tree just outside of my home office. I thought I was seeing things, and I called our local "birders" group. Yes, there was a large flock that for some reason did not fly out of the province. Within the next hour a dozen "birders" were camped out in my driveway waiting to see if they returned to this tree. I love birdwatching, but I don't chase them around in order to claim a sighting. Such is Life.

MacDoc
Mar 23rd, 2003, 10:38 PM
See, see, a convention...told ya tongue.gif

Dr.G.
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:28 PM
Macdoc, if you knew the type of weather we had in February (records for the amount of snow and cold temps), I don't know how anything could have lived outside. Still, everyone set out extra feed throughout the city in hopes that they would all survive the winter. We shall see................

MacDoc
Mar 23rd, 2003, 11:38 PM
Used to live out on a farm just above the Niagara Escarpment and it was up on a small hill with a view in many directions.
Now like robins I figured Blue Jays were generally solitary - maybe 2 or 3 around a feeder.
Imagine my surprise when a 10 minute long wave of hundreds of jays swept over the farm, some pausing very briefly then flying on. This intense blue undualting carpet over the fields.
It was magical and very very unexpected as I had been birdwatching for many years and had never heard of them migrating in large flocks.
Dod some reading and found out that they do indeed migrate.
I suspect our location on the escarpment was one of the flyway paths.
tongue.gif :cool: Very cool, very pretty.
A male cardinal was in full song and mating feathers today in the backyard - wow what intense colour after the drear of winter.

Dr.G.
Mar 24th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Macdoc, I have only seen a male cardinal once, but his coloration is dramatic.

I heard on one of the US news stations with an international weather report that the good weather in Newfoundland (due to a stalled high which is bringing lots of sunshine and little wind) is causing a unique type of "bend" in the jet stream. It is said that this will be the cause of tomorrow's sand storms in Iraq, with the jet stream bringing two lows together. We have been getting hit all winter with two lows coming together bringing in a "weather bomb" of high winds and lots of snow. Now, when we get a bit of a respite with a few sunny days, we are being blamed for stalling the US armored advance. There is no justice in this world.

Actually, I should not make light of this fact, since I fear that this advance will result in a great loss of life, on both sides.