: Never too old

lotus
Oct 1st, 2002, 11:48 PM
I could be your oldest member-75-can anyone top that? My love affair with Mac began with a hand me down Power Mac 6100. I now have an iMac G3. Could not find any Mac courses, so have learned from scratch by trial and error, plus words of wisdom from my local Apple dealer, so don't expect any hi-tech advice from me.
I am already on a seti team so can't help you there.
You lucky people living on Salt Spring Island, wish you could do something about the long ferry ride. Hope to be there for a visit by the end of the year.

Cynical Critic
Oct 1st, 2002, 11:55 PM
Welcome to ehMac!

Salt Spring Island truly is a beautiful place - even with the hassles of the B.C. Ferries.

MacNutt
Oct 2nd, 2002, 06:04 AM
Welcome Lotus! You probably are the oldest current member, but my Dad reads most of the posts (on his HP Pavilion :rolleyes: ) and I may just about have him talked into an iBook. He's 78. He's not a member of our community but he likes to check out what his wee lad has written. And he really likes to correct my near-perfect spelling (it's a Scottish thing).

The ferry ride to Salt Spring is only 35 min but that's from Vancouver Island. If you're coming here from the mainland it'll take a half a day or so, depending.

Such is the price of Paradise. :D

Drop me a line if you plan on being out this way!

Cynical Critic
Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:32 AM
It's funny that you say the aforementioned spell-checking is a Scottish thing because my mom always checked my written work rigorously over and over. She's a MacGregor (maiden name).

There's a certain amount of care in such an act and perhaps some continual assertion that they are our parents (and we'd best not forget!). :D

PosterBoy
Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:12 AM
The farthest back i have been able to trace my family's history, puts me square into the clan Fraser as I recall.

I tend to take after the Icelandic roots on my mothers side though.

--PB

Cynical Critic
Oct 3rd, 2002, 08:46 AM
Acccording to a dictionary of phrase and fable that I have, the MacGregor clan is the only clan to have its name revoked (temporarily) for being too brutal in combat. That's abridged version of the story anyway.

Too brutal! Doesn't that constitute an oxymoron in terms of Scottish battle? I mean I could understand being kicked out for dressing or acting British - or being too polite - but I always thought excessive brutality couldn't be excessive enough. That's what I understand a good game of Scottish rugby to be: brutal.

I wonder if my clan was doing something unmentionable with their kilts or was mistreating the sheep. . . :rolleyes:
I better stop my imagination now.

MacNutt
Oct 3rd, 2002, 01:48 PM
A MacGregor! The only proscribed clan in Scots history! Rob Roy's own clan! Your motto is "My Race is Royal" (stolen any cattle lately?) :D

The renowned " Children of the Mist" and a much-revered group amongst we of the Highland persuasion. ;)

Yes CC, this spelling thing does seem to be quite crucial to the Scots. I know that whenever I misspell a word the side of my head hurts like hell. Probably an early childhood memory involving a fist crashing into the side of my melon when I misplaced a vowel or dropped a consonant.

They say that you can teach a Scotsman anything....once you've gotten his attention. That is sometimes best accomplished with a two by four upside the head. tongue.gif

But, hey...it worked for me! And I've got the scars to prove it.
;)

MacNutt
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:13 AM
Hmmmm...I think perhaps you should read up on the Clan MacGregor a bit more, laddie. The clan was "proscribed" or "revoked" (as you put it) for excessive cattle theft and dirty dealings....not excessive brutality in battle.

Excessive brutality in battle would be considered an asset amongst the Scots. Certainly it would have back then. Other clans would be asking you to fight on their side in whatever war was going on that particular week. ;)

Actually, the cattle stealing business was a bum rap (cooked up by a Brit....natch) and virtually all Scots think very highly of the MacGregors. The Frasers as well.....although the most recent Lord Lovatt (cheif of the clan Fraser) was a bit of a wastrel and lost most of the family holdings over the past two decades.

Tell me CC....are your arms slightly too long for your body? That was a hereditary trait of the MacGregors and was one of the reasons that they were reknowned far and wide as some of the best swordsmen of old Scotland (where everyone carried three blades and weren't afraid to use them on a daily basis)

An extra long reach with the sword arm could mean the difference between a near miss and deep cut to your opponents jugular. Definitely an important distinction in ancient Scotland.

These days those extra long arms are mostly good for reaching across the dinner table to get that last pork chop without getting up out of your seat.

Who knows though....the way things are going these days anything could happen.If we nuke ourselves back to the bronze age you guys could be in serious demand once again.

Interested in knowing more about your rather famous ancestors?

Check this out...

Clan MacGregor (http://www.tartans.com/clans/MacGregor/macgregor.html)

Cynical Critic
Oct 4th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the link and clarification MacNutt!

I now know I was right to be slightly suspicious of Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. It's a little vague to say the least.

:D

Dr.G.
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Many are gone or no longer posting ................ but they are not forgotten.

SINC
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM
OK, I see now. It's national dredge up old stuff day. :D

Dr.G.
Jan 11th, 2009, 03:51 PM
No, just a day to remember those who have come and gone, and those no longer with us. Lest we forget. Paix, mon ami.

Kazak
Jan 11th, 2009, 10:23 PM
It's national dredge up old stuff day. :D

Sometimes the god of straight lines is kind, indeed.;)