: I have just had it with Word X

iGeeK
May 25th, 2003, 11:00 PM
I have just converted a whole bunch of files from Word
5.1 to Word X and noticed that they all became 6 times the previous size. WTF?

Other than that, I have not ever worked with a wordprocessor as insidious and painful to use
as this version of Word.

Am I hopelessly consigned to running 5.1 under Classic, or is there hope?

Any OS X wordprocessors out there that are not
bloated with bizarre features, and palettes that
crowd the screen?

Cheers,

G/<

PosterBoy
May 26th, 2003, 02:28 AM
BBEdit is the answer to all word processing questions for many people.

You can at least take comfort in the fact that the little PaperClip is a lot easier to get rid of in Word X than in any other version (that has it) I have worked with. You can also get rid of the palettes if ou dont want them, just click the button on the toolbar that looks like a little window with an A and some lines in it and watch them genie their way up and out of the way.

--PB

CubaMark
May 29th, 2003, 04:33 PM
PosterBoy, BBEdit is on my hard drive, but unfortunately, publishers need Word documents and nothin' else. Sigh.

:mad:

Today's Microsloth lament:

Huge friggin' manuscript due, like, yesterday. Microsoft Word fighting me every step of the bloody way (and this is with all autoformat features turned off!).

Doing the final read-through and corrections before burning to disk and passing it on.

What does Word decide to do? Change all of my trailing-quote marks to leading-quote marks. Curse, curse, curse. Ok, fine, I'll do a find-and-replace, taking the ." and replacing them with ."

Word churns away for a few seconds, occasionally flashing up the "word is replacing" progress bar. Finished.... "Word has made 0 replacements." WTF?

I literally had to stop myself from throwing my dear iBook against the wall.... (at the last minute realized it's not my Mac's fault, it's MS-Word's lousy code).

Thankfully, the house is empty, and my profane ratings annoy no-one, except perhaps too-nosy neighbours.

But... #$%^&*.... I'm tearing out my hair, here! Looks like I'll have to go through the entire 300-page document and fix every single curly quote by hand.

M

hayesk
May 29th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Use BBEdit, save it with a .doc extension and they won't know the difference. Word can open text and it doesn't care about the extension, so trick 'em! ;)

CubaMark
May 30th, 2003, 12:09 AM
Ha. Ha. Very funny, Hayesk. graemlins/ptptptptptpt.gif

I'm sure the publisher would notice the missing footnotes, formatted text, hyperlinks, etc.

Sigh.

When is AppleWorks 7.0 coming out? :confused:

M.

elmer
May 30th, 2003, 10:24 AM
Man, I feel for ya - at the times when I've had to do a lot of Word documents (Word 97 on WinNT/2000), it has strained my faith in computer logic and turned me into a paranoid psycho.
All you can do is laugh at the utter futility.

CubaMark
May 30th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Michael, try as I might, I just can't laugh my way through this. Too much lost sleep. Too many burned-out synapses in the frontal lobe.

Good thing we don't have 'thought police' (a la "Minority Report"), or I'd be doing serious time right now...

M