: what do they call a 'scratch' phobia?

Podboy
May 18th, 2003, 06:36 PM
I recently got a new 30 gig iPod, dubbed it Galatea, and have taken it out of the box only once or twice. This is not right. I should be using it all the time by now. Why am I leaving it to hide in its container?

Well, look at the title of this post. I got a first-gen iPod the day they came out, but as there were no protective devices to hide my baby from abrasive materials, I simply had to swallow the frustration as it got more and more scratched. Long ago I vowed that, if I were to ever get another iPod, I would not let the same thing happen. The carrying case that Apple includes is nice, but it will never protect the sides of it. Those iSkin things are nifty too, and protect really well I would think, but if there's sand or something inside when you're putting the pod in, then it can get very bad. I've had someone recommend turtle wax to me *cough cough - :D (private joke)* but I'm not exactly sure how to apply it, and how well it works.

So in short, what do you do? what works, what doesn't? How can I stand between the marring evil of the world and Galatea? And although any sane person would come to the conclusion that, no matter what he or she would do, the iPod would eventually become scathed by the ravages of time, I have never claimed to possess an ounce [sorry -- millilitre] of sanity. I'm still working under the deluded notion that I will somehow be able to do what no human being has done hitherto.

Please help. I'd really like to start using my new mp3[aac?] player soon. It's eating away at me.

Cheers,
Podboy

jfpoole
May 18th, 2003, 06:44 PM
I've had my iPod for 8 months now, and I leave it in its case whenever I go out. There are a few scratches on its back, but those are probably from the few times it's been bouncing around my car without its case on.

In other words, if you leave it in its case, you should be fine.

gordguide
May 18th, 2003, 09:26 PM
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but as far as I'm concerned, everything is either a tool or a museum piece. I use the tools. They get scratched.

I believe the iSkin cases work well, though. They should be available for the newer form factor iPods soon.

Think Different (http://www.applelinks.com/cgi-app/store/agora.cgi?&p_id=146&xm=on&ppinc=search2)

betelgeuse
May 18th, 2003, 10:35 PM
i stopped caring about scratches since i've realized that i replace most of my stuff every 3-5 years anyways. so what's the point about being anal about scratching my notebook when in 5 years it'll be obsolete and collecting dust in a closet. i used to be very protective, but i find i enjoy using everything much much more when i'm not always worrying about it. i know i'm not answering your question sorry smile.gif

i think sratches add character heh

The Great Waka
May 18th, 2003, 11:39 PM
This should help ya. I would think that it offers enough protection.

iPod Armor (http://www.halfkeyboard.com/ipodarmor/)

Sander
May 19th, 2003, 09:09 AM
I know how you feel, Podboy. I babied my first iPod in the beginning. I realized that once it got a few scratches and I didn't care, I was able to enjoy it even more.

Oh, that and some therapy. ;)

Now I am using my new 15 Gigger with no case. It's so small and beautiful that it really is a shame to cover it up. IMHO.

Cheers.

Mississauga
May 19th, 2003, 11:01 AM
The Great Waka,

Wow! That's a nice case. But I'd be afraid of scratching it! tongue.gif

Podboy
May 19th, 2003, 12:28 PM
I guess you guys are right, perhaps I am being somewhat anal. I do this with everything, and I think that in the end, it only drives me a little closer to madness. Ah well. I'll try to relinquish my grasp on her, and let Galatea age with grace.

Unfortunately, I already bought a package of turtule wax :D

And, since I'm not about to let that go to waste, does anyone have any thoughts on a good, safe way to apply it? I think it might be best to just do the back and leave the sides and front, as the front has those rather sensitive buttons, and the sides have the 'crack' between plastic and metal. Or, would turtle wax just make a mess of my expensive new toy?

I appreciate your help, everyone.

Cheers,
Podboy

betelgeuse
May 19th, 2003, 01:38 PM
dosn't turtle wax smell?

JohnnyG4
May 19th, 2003, 01:58 PM
My 5GB iPod took a bit of a beating scratch wise. There wasn't any carrying case and I didn't like the third party ones.

MY 10 is in excellent shape except for where the label is affixed to the carrying case. I bet with a sharp knife you can remove the label and there'll be no sign of a mark.

My 10 also got 'polished' with Kleerscreen - the stuff/cloth system for my Powerbook's screen. Didn't touch the touch wheel - just the back and the side and the screen and it always took off the finger prints.

I'd leave Turtle Wax for my car - if I had one... :D

John