: iBook Tapping Noise CDROM????

GreekGuy
May 14th, 2003, 03:55 AM
I'm wondering if anyone else hears this.
When its really really quite, i hear a very rhythmic, tap tap tap noise on my ibook.
I realize its the cdrom because when i eject it and listen again its gone. When i do have a cdrom in the drive, the noise is gone (after the cd stops spinning)

This sound almost sounds like it is polling to see if there is a cdrom in the drive (at least i think thats what its doing)
I have no errors or anything so i think its just normal. Does anyone else's ibook do this?
Its very quiet but its still there if you listen closely.

Thanks!

Clockwork
May 14th, 2003, 08:09 AM
I have the same problem. It does not happen all the time. Yeah when you open and close the CDROM it stops. I had another iBook and it did not do this. If it gets bad enough I will take it to get it fixed but for now it is not that big of a problem for me.

haiggy
May 14th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Mine only "pulses" 3 or 4 times, but it hasn't bothered me too much.

Nick
May 14th, 2003, 11:14 AM
My Ibook Taps when i am ejecting CD's some time. Not sure what it is. I am thinking if contacting apple.

jrtech
May 14th, 2003, 11:45 AM
No noise from mine :D :D

emceepj
May 14th, 2003, 11:48 AM
mines the same as nicks, but it hasn't done it in a long time.

GreekGuy
May 14th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Hmm. so sounds like its almost a common thing.

I noticed that when i open and close the cdrom door, it doesnt start again until later..

Doesnt do it all the time. Trying to figure out what makes it start. Like right now, I just brought it out of sleep and typing this response and i dont hear anything.

Wierd.

PosterBoy
May 14th, 2003, 03:44 PM
The only noise mine makes is the fait clickity click of the hard drive being accessed. Is this the noise your makes?

--PB

GreekGuy
May 14th, 2003, 06:58 PM
I thought it could of been the hard drive as well, thats why i ejected the cdrom and then realized the sound is gone.

When there is a cd in the cdrom it never does it..
only when its empty.

So.. my conclusion, when there is a cdrom in the drive, it doesnt have to poll, hence no click click noise.
when there is a cdrom, no noise.

I've only had my ibook for about 2 weeks so if the problem noise gets worse, i'm going to contact apple..

Nick
May 14th, 2003, 07:35 PM
My Harddrive is dead silent. Just a fast Clicking noise sometime when i eject a CD.

jonmon
Aug 5th, 2003, 01:36 PM
Hey, I just noticed I got the same noise

Did you ever contact Apple GreekGuy?