: OS advice for my new PowerBook

neema
May 9th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Hey everyone. i won an auction for a Powerbook G3/266 yesterday off eBay and I wanted to see what OS people think I should install.

Here is the url to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2728370404 (eBay Item Page)

I am going to be using this computer mostly in school to take notes, etc... I can get my hands on a OS8 cd, which I guess would be licensed since that is what shipped with the system. I have a fresh copy of OS9 that I am not using on any computer that I could install and I have my Jaguar Family Pack that I could put on a copy of.

Do you guys think that it'll be able to run Jaguar? Just to give you guys an idea of my expectations, my iMac G3/350 runs Jaguar fast enough.

OK then, let me know what you think! THANKS! :D

Britnell
May 9th, 2003, 03:39 AM
I would not do Jaguar. Stick to 9

spinz
May 9th, 2003, 04:16 AM
I agree.

I also have a 300mhz PDQ and wouldn't even consider running Jaguar on it. But it does just great with 9.2.

I would still max out the RAM on it regardless.

Lawrence
May 9th, 2003, 10:03 AM
I have a Lombard 333 mhz with 384 mb of ram on it and I have tried running X on it in the past on a partition but found it a little sluggish, What I am planning to do is to add a second drive to my MCE expansion bay module and then have X running in that drive, Then I'll have both OS's on two different disks.

At the moment I have OS 9.2.2 running on my Lombard and it uses 35 mb of ram, Yet with OS 9.2.2 on my 366 mhz Beige with 192 mb of ram it uses 26 mb of ram, Doesn't figure.

(Although I have noticed that the more ram on a computer then the more ram the system will use, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the increased cache size)

David
:cool:

[ May 09, 2003, 09:16 AM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

Kosh
May 9th, 2003, 11:01 AM
I'd stick with OS 9 on that. I still have OS 9 on my Powerbook.

MACSPECTRUM
May 9th, 2003, 01:29 PM
for those that don't want to go to ebay to look up the basic specs

Mac PowerBook G3 Wallstreet, 266MHz/1 Mb Cache/14 inch Monitor/128 Ram/4G HD/ 20XCD/Battery/AC Adapter

I would go with OS 9.2.x

Why run Jaguar just to "mostly...take notes, etc" ?

dycs mxims
May 9th, 2003, 01:36 PM
we have a wallstreet 250 MHz and we're running jaguar. this is not an os9 household.

my advice is to get as much RAM as possible. you should be able to run osx.

Rob
May 9th, 2003, 01:36 PM
I have 2 Wallstreets, 266 & 300 Mhz. These run just dandy on OS 9. They will run with Jaguar (more like Jog-uar on these machines). Your 4Gig drive is a bit small to be running Jaguar since there won't be much room left after the OS is installed.

Stick with OS 9 and you will have a fast and powerfull machine.

If you had a bigger hard drive you could create multiple partitions and install OS 9 on one and X on another.

I think you took a big risk buying an older laptop from the US on ebay. If the screen is poor then your machine is almost worthless. I would want to see a laptop in the flesh before I decided to purchase. There have been some pretty decent deals on EhMac lately. I bought my 300Mhz machine from the trading post a couple of months ago. I noticed another good deal here on a Lombard machine just recently too. EhMacers seem to be a pretty honest group.

dthompson101
May 9th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Slap in a sonnet G4 upgrade card, and watch that bad baby sing as your run jaguar on it!

There is a ton of lige left in that CPU. Max it out to 1GB or RAM and if there is an option to up the onboard video ram, do that as well.

If not, I side with everyone else here and stick with 9.2

Mac OS X does indeed rule though!

PosterBoy
May 9th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Depends really.

I have come to the point of disliking OS 9, so I would go X.

Do you want to stream your MP3s from on machine to another using iTunes (one of my favorite things about having two macs right now)? You'll need X.

Worried about it being a little sluggish? Maybe OS 9.

--PB

mose
May 9th, 2003, 05:21 PM
All good observations

I have a 400mhz Lombard and have tried all the different systems and 9.1 is the optimum for this puppy. 512 RAM - still slow with OSX

right up to Jaguar (But haven't tried it as I don't feel the investment is warranted based on the experiments with the other OSX versions I have)

9.2.1 and 9.2.2 were not stable - but 9.1 has been rock solid for almost 6 months - never a crash. I REALLY like stable!

I use this at large presentations and I cannot afford to have it freeze.

my 2

Betty Fooz
May 9th, 2003, 05:45 PM
i have a 333mhz imac that hates osx but runs well in os9. i would stick to os9, the amount of room alone needed for osx would make my decision.

neema
May 10th, 2003, 05:25 PM
thanks for your opinions everyone!

i will just wait and see i guess. today at the apple store bellevue square grand opening there was someone that had a powerbook g3/266 running 10.2 and it was kinda sluggish but not that bad, but, i'll wait and find out ;)

thanks all!