: 1Ghz eMacs

JohnnyG4
May 6th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Quietly announced this morning... Reasonable Canadian prices too.

$1199 for 800Mhz, 128MB RAM 40GB HD and a CD-ROM;
$1499 for the 1Ghz, 128MB RAM, 60GB HD and combo drive;
$1899 for Superdrive, 256MB 80GB HD and...
$2498 for 1Ghz, 1GB RAM Superdrive and Airport extreme.

Not too shabby.

John

mycatsnameis
May 6th, 2003, 12:01 PM
With $1749 as the edu price for the Superdrive model that is a very sweet price.

Now if they've only solved the video board problem ...

Dr.G.
May 6th, 2003, 12:05 PM
I would think that the next "quiet announcement" shall come with a reconfigured iMac, leaving the major announcements for the PowerMacs and new 15PB.

Apple timed this just right, as many schools in Canada and the US are now placing their orders for the classroom computer, and even computer lab purchases. I recall the day when Apple had the classroom market with the Apple IIe and the IIgs. Those were the days..................... Still, with quality products they may again gain in their market share. We shall see.

elmer
May 6th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Looks like to get 256MB standard on a new Mac its either the $1899 SuperDrive eMac or the G4 iMac starting at $1999.

Anyone using Mac OS X with 128 Mb and not wishing they had more RAM? Speak up!

Is RAM really that expensive? :rolleyes:

MasterBlaster
May 6th, 2003, 01:13 PM
a

CubaMark
May 6th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Dear Apple,

Re: 128megs of RAM as standard on some Macintosh computers.

Are you nuts?

512mb is more like it. This <u>is</u> Unix, y'know.

M.

Kosh
May 6th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Anyone using Mac OS X with 128 Mb and not wishing they had more RAM? Speak up!

Is RAM really that expensive?
No it isn't expensive, except from Apple. You don't want to buy RAM from Apple, buy it from a third party like Crucial. Frankly, I'd rather Apple not even put RAM in their machines, and let me buy the RAM separate - they usually stick in a small amount like 256 and you have to trade it out anyways.

mycatsnameis
May 6th, 2003, 02:21 PM
No it isn't expensive, except from Apple. You don't want to buy RAM from Apple, buy it from a third party like Crucial. Frankly, I'd rather Apple not even put RAM in their machines, and let me buy the RAM separate - they usually stick in a small amount like 256 and you have to trade it out anyways.
Amen to that brother. But then the Mac faithful always need something to complain about. If it wasn't this then it would be "Gosh why doesn't Apple release a bare bones machine so that I can fill it up with cheap 3rd party RAM/HD/etc/etc".

Tomac
May 6th, 2003, 02:37 PM
32MB ATI Radeon 7500 = ANCIENT! :mad:

128MB ram in the low and mid models = EMBARRASSING. OS X will chug... sputter... chug... cough :rolleyes: :(

Airport Extreme support = Very nice! smile.gif Next-gen 15.x" PowerBook, low-end iMac and iBooks SHOULD be next in line to get this.

DVD-ROM should be in the low-end model AT LEAST!

Our dollar's worth more now and SHOULD be reflected in the pricing: Low-end eMac should be $1099-$1125. Mid-eMac SHOULD be $1399. High-end should be $1799-$1825.

By the way, Apple's stock is starting to get back on track.

Chealion
May 6th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Tomac - The eMac is designed for the educational market, and a super duper video card is not needed, all that is needed is one that will run Quartz Extreme. As for the RAM, it is kind of embarrassing, but I believe Apple knows that schools usually order large volumes of RAM, and they get them for quite cheap and if you offer the really expensive Apple installed RAM, it may hurt sales. Airport Extreme :D , very good, I'll get an iBook when they get Airport Extreme in them.
Again, since the eMac is aimed at the educational market, and the education market usually uses computers in a lab setting, a CD-RW or DVD-ROM isn't needed as the computers are usually hooked up to a server and if anything needs to be transmitted its over the network. If they want to watch the DVD, they most likely would do so on the "teacher" station which could be a PowerMac or the high end eMac. Having helped set up one of these labs, I see how the eMac is a great computer because Apple has slashed a lot of the features that work for a consumer model machine, but aren't as practical for a low cost education machine. A CD-ROM is all thats needed as its dirt cheap, and will run everything needed, as DVDs are only movies at the present time.

Just My 0.02

VertiGoGo
May 6th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Love the new line-up. The top end machine is awesome! My 800MHz model was "top of the line" when I bought it and has less hard drive space and no Airport Extreme included. This is a great upgarde...and it is the same price that I paid back then.

Great machine!

Tomac
May 6th, 2003, 03:22 PM
When eMacs became available to ALL THE PEOPLE:
"Consumers have pounded on the table demanding to buy the eMac, and we agree," said Apple CEO Steve Jobs. Joswiak about today's introduction of updated eMacs:
"This has great appeal to a value conscious customer who is looking for a complete system," Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of Hardware Product Marketing, told MacCentral.

"We think graphics are important to customers," said Joswiak. "Often times they are surprised when they get a low-cost PC home and find out it's not a very good game machine. Things like 3D gaming are important to the consumer and we want to offer a great experience to them which means offering dedicated video controllers and dedicated video memory." The eMac are definitely NOW not just aimed at the educational market. Consumers CRAVED for the eMac and showed Apple that there was/is a SERIOUS market for them. If there was no eMac, a consumer wanting a desktop Mac would have to shell out $1999 for an entry-iMac. THAT WOULD DISCOURAGE TONS OF PEOPLE!!! The eMac smoothes out the $ gap and allows more people to be introduced to Macs. A DVD-ROM (cost around $20 more than CD-ROMS) just makes sense and would allow the software install CDs to be put onto one DVD -- like the one included with my Power Mac. Ease of use. People would have another platform for viewing DVDs -- ones that people have burned and created themselves or retail movies. People buying a new machine DON'T EXPECT a sluggish experience out of the box. Too bad that Apple's giving them just that with only 128MB ram. That's just one more hassle/cost the consumer doesn't need.

All I can say for now.

PosterBoy
May 6th, 2003, 04:11 PM
Tomac said:
32MB ATI Radeon 7500 = ANCIENT

Yes, but as pointed out above these machines are primarily designed for schools and school work, none of which requires a high end video card. The only reason that they put a 32 Mb video card in the machine is Quartz Extreme.

As to the 128MB RAM issue, it could be argued that it is support for the vendors, allowing them to make the extra bit of cash by adding on the more RAM. I doubt anyone here believes that, but it doesn't make it not possible.

--PB

VertiGoGo
May 6th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Did anyone else happen to notice that Apple is also shipping a new (read: updated) pro keyboard and mouse with the new eMacs?

You can catch all the main info about them over at macminute.com.

Cool. graemlins/heybaby.gif

Kosh
May 6th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Our dollar's worth more now and SHOULD be reflected in the pricing Actually, it is reflected in the pricing... I checked. The eMacs are priced 1.5, 1.5, 1.46, and 1.47 times the US price, which is using the exchange from about a few weeks ago. They will never use too current of an exchange rate, they don't want to change prices weekly.

I'mv just surprised they haven't adjusted the PowerMac prices. But I guess they are waiting until the new ones are introduced, so as not to affect retailers too much.

ehMax
May 6th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Only picture of new keyboard and mouse I could find...

http://a560.g.akamai.net/7/560/51/c4208e49e8e908/www.apple.com/r/store/gallery/emac2003/images/5.jpg

gordguide
May 6th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Well I remember what it was like when I wanted, but couldn't afford, a new Mac (or a new PC, for that matter). To be able to get in at $1200 is awesome, especially since I don't usually recommend that first-timers buy an expensive computer until they've used one for a while and understand their real needs.

Tomac
May 6th, 2003, 06:35 PM
http://news.com.com/2100-1042_3-1000001.html?tag=fd_top

(SORRY FOR THE BIG QUOTE redface.gif ):

As part of the revamp, Apple added a third, lower-cost model to fill a void left by the original eMac. The move is important because the $799 price tag gives Apple a low-cost alternative to PCs that use Microsoft's Windows XP operating system. The average selling price of XP-based PCs at retail is around $720, according to NPD Techworld.

But analysts questioned whether the new, low-end eMac packs enough features to effectively compete in the $700 to $800 price range.

The $799 eMac comes with an 800MHz PowerPC G4 processor, 128MB of SDRAM, a 40GB hard drive, a CD-ROM drive, a 32MB ATI 7500 graphics accelerator, 56kbps modem, 10/100 networking USB 1.1 and FireWire ports, and Mac OS X 10.2.5.

By comparison, Hewlett-Packard's $899 Pavilion 735n comes with a 2.13GHz Athlon XP 2600+ processor from Advanced Micro Devices, 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 80GB hard drive, a DVD+R/RW drive, a 48X CD-ROM drive, an Nvidia GeForce4 MX graphics accelerator and Windows XP Home. That price does not include a monitor.

But the problems with the underpowered entry-level model are more than just about competitors. Mac OS X 10.2.5's basic requirements demand a minimum 128MB of memory, making a memory upgrade almost a necessity for many eMac buyers. The $999 model faces the same issue.

"If you're a Macophile consumer, this configuration is probably just a little underpowered," said IDC analyst Roger Kay. "I think the lack of sufficient memory is potentially problem."HHHHMMMMMMMmmmmmmm..... Instead of pumping the most cash they can out of a small percentage, Apple would haul serious @$$ if they trickled cash -- cheapo Macs -- to help build up their user base. That's THE ONLY WAY they'll EVER gain SERIOUS market share. Apple needs a NEW desktop UNDER $1000 CDN. That's when people will flock to the Mac BIG TIME!!! :D

Ohenri
May 6th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Although I'm one who may think that they CRT is dead (and hella bulky), I was on the eMac from day one. with the unfortunate reports of dead screen/vid cards - I just stayed away despite the price drops and all. But I would expect a nice low end unit - it's really a bigger iMac -with a G4 chip. Anyhow, I may take a good look at these.

Audio line in
comes with Sound Studio (I do wave editing all the time)
iLife (this could be nice esp cutting some DV)
32x CD-R
4x DVD-R

I like the look of the new KB too...

Look fwd to demo units...

elmer
May 6th, 2003, 08:37 PM
CNET, quoted above by Tomac:
By comparison, Hewlett-Packard's $899 Pavilion 735n comes with a 2.13GHz Athlon XP 2600+ processor from Advanced Micro Devices, 512MB of DDR SDRAM, a 80GB hard drive, a DVD+R/RW drive, a 48X CD-ROM drive, an Nvidia GeForce4 MX graphics accelerator and Windows XP Home. That price does not include a monitor.
(boldface added)

Typical CNET clueless value comparison. Can't they at least be reasonable and pick a Pavilion that is the same price as the eMac minus the price of a 17" CRT???? Or pick from the numerous bundles that do include monitors, speakers, etc. :mad: :rolleyes: And please, don't compare Jaguar to XP Home. Try XP Prof.

elmer
May 6th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Still, I totally agree with Tomac about an under $1000 desktop to increase market share.

Mississauga
May 6th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Geez... for $1900 CDN you get a SuperDrive that writes DVDs at 4X, and Apple throws in a complete G4 computer to boot. Bargain!!!

MasterBlaster
May 6th, 2003, 11:47 PM
a

MasterBlaster
May 9th, 2003, 12:22 AM
a