: How many tracks would you buy per week?

used to be jwoodget
May 2nd, 2003, 07:17 PM
The Apple Music Store allows you to buy music one track at a time (in general) for 99 cents (US), if you have a US based credit card. Assuming the service comes to Canada, how many tracks would you buy per week, would you still buy CDs and would the Music Store increase or decrease the liklihood of you buying an iPod?

Strongblade
May 2nd, 2003, 07:41 PM
The number of individual tracks per week... Right now, it would be very few, but only because the available stuff doesn't really appeal to me. I have rather eclectic tastes but I couldn't find more than a half-dozen tracks that would consider buying (Either I already have it or am not interested in it).

As more and more content is provided, and a wider and wider selection appears, I suspect my interest will grow and my credit card will feel the burn...

smile.gif

:cool:

ehMax
May 2nd, 2003, 07:53 PM
I should note, that the day the store is available in Canada... I will probably spend about $100. Then it will go to 1-5 a week probably. Will still buy CD's in which I like the entire album (U2 but very few others)

used to be jwoodget
May 2nd, 2003, 08:00 PM
I think we might see a new "Billboard" sort of chart phenom due to the on-line stats on the Music Store. U2 downloads are high in the overall charts along with Elvis and Eminem. And these are the musical tastes of Mac users.....

Personally, I think this has the potential to radically change record buying behaviour. I also think that it will be a key selling tool for iPods (and may well drive MPEG4/AAC adoption to the detriment of WMP - yippee). If I were Jobs (sounds like a song title) I'd be hiring 50 programmers to bring iTunes and the Music Store to Windows users a.s.a.p. and another 50 lawyers to close the licensing deals.

jfpoole
May 2nd, 2003, 10:08 PM
I think I'd probably buy quite a few tracks from the store immediately, then the odd one here and there. There are a lot of CDs out there that have the odd track or two that I'm interested in, but I can't bring myself to spend the money to buy the whole CD.

elmer
May 4th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Last question needs a 4th option "No, I like the iPod I have, thanks".
I agree with ehMax - I'll probably spend about $100 the first day/week. After that, who knows?
Here's another question, not sure how it would be phrased in a poll: "How much of the stuff you buy in physical format could be internet delivered?" Movies, sheet music, paperback novels, what else?

gordguide
May 5th, 2003, 02:07 PM
I only buy CDs. I have never d/l mp3s and probably never will. The AAC codec is better, but still is inadequate for my tastes, so although it's an intersting development to me it won't affect my habits one bit.

You can get free CD-quality (by that I mean 16 bit/44.1Khz audio files, not the wildly innacurrate claims of mp3 players) from the Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org/index.php) and movie footage (MPEG2) which the copyright holders have made available as public domain or other user copyright assignments (ie personal use). There is quite a variety of music for those who find mainstream CD resellers and the Apple Store are too "popular" for your personal tastes.

You will need a MPEG2 player (QuickTime MPEG2 player, or various freeware versions) for movies and for audio files, a UNIX tool called Shorten to decompress the sound files. It's a lossless audio compressor available from the usual places (macupdate, versiontracker) as a free d/l.

And, of course, because these are high-quality files they will be quite large, so hispeed and some HD space is a must.

[ May 05, 2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]