: Woo-hoo! Upgraded shipping.

JohnnyG4
May 1st, 2003, 01:38 PM
Just checked my order status for my 30GB iPod (probably the last I'm going to buy - should keep my entire collection) and they upgraded the shipping to "Priority Overnite (or is that OverNight)?".

I hope the new iPod is in my hot little hands tomorrow.

The old one will probably turn into a firewire hard drive.

John

monokitty
May 1st, 2003, 06:49 PM
Now, if we ever need to rob someone, we know JohnnyG4 has a lot of money. ;)

LOL

oryxbiker
May 1st, 2003, 07:01 PM
LOL graemlins/rofl.gif

Strongblade
May 1st, 2003, 07:35 PM
Heh... I haven't ordered the new iPod, but I am seriously considering it sometime this year. My 5GB one is great, but I find it a bit constricting for my ever growing music collection (which will grow even bigger when the iTunes store hits Canada)

:cool:

Tomac
May 1st, 2003, 07:56 PM
Post some pics when you get it -- if you can -- there aren't many around yet. Hopefully you can compare and report your thoughts on the casing -- less scratchable???

I know there'd possibly be heat problems but I wish Apple enclosed these 3rd-gen iPods in brushed aluminum like the 12" and 17" PowerBooks. It looks like they've used the "opaque" material found on the new 800/900 iBooks and the previous gen 700s.

Please Apple, bring out the PowerPod. :D Ooops... Someones used that name already. (http://www.powerpod.com/)

used to be jwoodget
May 1st, 2003, 09:11 PM
Mines shipping too (only the 15 gig model tho).... Better spend the weekend AAC encoding. smile.gif

ehMax
May 1st, 2003, 10:42 PM
Really! They are shipping already! I thought Steve said they will ship in the US of Friday and Internationally a week later or something...

Maybe they aren't that mad at us Canadians after all! ;)

Monkey
May 2nd, 2003, 02:38 AM
Judging by the email and status page, my 15gig has shipped, so we'll see when it arrives....

JohnnyG4
May 2nd, 2003, 01:21 PM
Money? Me? Hah!! (OK... Well, maybe the income tax return help a bit, but...) Really I was trying for a 17" Powerbook, but those are as rare at 1911 Silver Dollars...

John

used to be jwoodget
May 2nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
Yeeee-ha.... My iPod was just delivered to my home! This weekend should be music to my ears smile.gif

Clearly, Apple had the wee beasties stockpiled while they sorted out deals with the music industry. If only they'd hurry up and make the downloads available to the "coalition of the billing".

Tomac
May 2nd, 2003, 03:57 PM
Photos, photos, photos -- gotsta see the new 'Pod. :D

Kosh
May 2nd, 2003, 04:32 PM
Congrats on the new ipods.

I was hoping to buy one, but with buying a new house, I'll be lucky to have enough cash for food.

Pamela
May 2nd, 2003, 05:19 PM
was hoping to buy one, but with buying a new house, I'll be lucky to have enough cash for food.

don't I know what you're saying! Iwould have waited to get all of my new mac gear till sept. had i realized in advance that i'd be buying an apartment two weeks later. hindsight eh?

ehMax
May 2nd, 2003, 05:25 PM
iPod Link (http://www.apple.com/hardware/gallery/ipod_april2003_480.html)

Strongblade
May 2nd, 2003, 06:18 PM
Okay... I just have one negative thing to say regarding the new iPods.

Proprietary connectors.

Why did Apple want to change the &^@!$^! connector from a standard 4 or 6 pin FW to a flat non-standard connector?

One of the ubiquitous things about the older models is that you could buy a couple of extra cables for convenience that served multiple purposes.

Now the iPod connector is proprietary, meaning if you don't have the proper cable, you are screwed.

This may be a small complaint to some, but I own about 4 firewire cables (6 pin-6 pin) that I use with my iPod. One is hooked up to my work machine. One is hooked up to a home machine, one is in my backpack with my portable paraphenalia, and I have a fourth spare at home.

They can be used with any 6 pin FW device. So they have multiple uses.

This would just become one more connector I have to carry around.

*SIGH*

Good thing the new iPods are SO FRICKIN COOL otherwise...

:cool:

ehMax
May 2nd, 2003, 07:58 PM
New iPod is too thin to have a standard FireWire (6 pin). 4-pin would fit, but that doesn't supply power, so you couldn't charge the iPod through it.

New connector makes sense. I'll take more thin with a dock. smile.gif

used to be jwoodget
May 2nd, 2003, 08:04 PM
Yes, the new iPod is much thinner than the old. It's rounder and slinkier and I'm in love..... The old iPod actually feels clunky compared to the new one! Amazing, considering the old iPod is still one of the smallest hard drive players on the market. The G3 iPod pushes the envelope yet again.

ehMax
May 2nd, 2003, 08:07 PM
Nice comparative pictures (http://www.stanc.net/ipod2/index.htm) . :cool:

Me likey! :D

used to be jwoodget
May 2nd, 2003, 11:50 PM
Wait till you get one in your mitts EhMax. Twill be love at first sight. The backlighting is beautiful. It fades off!! This thing just exudes class. The touch-sensitive buttons take some getting used to but its like something from the next century.... The only thing I'm not too sure about is the dock. Seems pretty unimaginative to me. Just a place to plonk the iPod while transferring, charging, etc (and it has line-out for a stereo). Oh, and the earphones are the same as always :(

All in all, its super slick. The parachute game is fun....

Tomac
May 3rd, 2003, 12:32 AM
STUNNING photos. Thanks for the link ehMax!