: Cheap 20GB iPods!

RobTheGob
Apr 30th, 2003, 04:34 PM
If you don't mind the "old" iPods, Compusmart have their 20GB iPods on for $549. Online they only list the French versions, but some stores still have the English versions in stock (I think I got the last on in Calgary!). You probably will have to point out the website pricing, since mine was still listed at $799.

The French version should be easily changed to English (or any of the other iPod languages), and it's fairly easy to convert a Mac version to Windows and vice-versa.

Some people will be willing to pay the extra $50 to get the new 15GB version, but I think I'd rather have the extra space for less money. Plus I kind of like the old button layout.

Ohenri
Apr 30th, 2003, 09:59 PM
man... thanks for the look out.

cheew
May 1st, 2003, 09:10 PM
Ditto on the thanks. I called the local store and placed the las Mac version on hold. Can't wait to get it this weekend!

On another note, glad to join the ehMac community finally. I've been lurking for the last month and made the plunge at last.

Ciao for now.

RobTheGob
May 2nd, 2003, 05:49 PM
Welcome! And your welcome!

I noticed that London Drugs has marked their remaining iPods to clearance prices as well. The 20GB's are $549 and 10GB's are $399, although I heard of a couple of open box 10GB's going for $349).

Robert-oh
May 2nd, 2003, 07:14 PM
I just picked up a 10 gig iPod at London Drugs this morning. $399!! It was the last one left at the Brentwood location. This thing is the most freakin' awesome little machine in the world!!!!!!!

used to be jwoodget
May 2nd, 2003, 07:22 PM
Heh, if these sales are happening worldwide, Apple will have one heck of a lot of new iPoders. Now, when will be get to order songs on-line????? I think that Apple has some headroom for reducing the prices of the new iPods (probably in time for Christmas). That should also stimulate the volume. Too bad I'm an impatient dork tongue.gif

Betty Fooz
May 2nd, 2003, 11:50 PM
I prefer the old ipods to the new ones, I have a 5gig one and I would love to get a 20gig for those prices.

RobTheGob
May 3rd, 2003, 04:03 AM
I just picked up a 10 gig iPod at London Drugs this morning. $399!! It was the last one left at the Brentwood location. This thing is the most freakin' awesome little machine in the world!!!!!!! I must have called there just after you bought this!

The 20GB iPod that I was supposed to get from Compusmart ended up being damaged. I was going to get a French version, but ended getting a 20GB version from London Drugs for $512.

It just finished charging...

cheew
May 4th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Woohoo -- got my "classic" 20 gig iPod today and I love it! smile.gif Apple did a terrific job here all the way down to the packaging. Going to be busy the next while filling this baby up.

Ciao!

RobTheGob
May 5th, 2003, 12:06 PM
I'm getting pretty used to mine already. I've got it about 3/4 full now, I'm glad I decided on the 20GB model. Lots's of work needs to be done on my playlists however!

I'm just doing a "battery" test today, I started it at 7AM and want to see how long it will go playing my "4 & 5 Stars" playlists. I'm hoping 9 or 10 hours... The Apple tests are very optimistic based on their test methods to keep the track changes and HD spinning to a minimum.

Being a Test Engineer by profession, I'm very interested in seeing how well it works in a real life situation. A little over two hours so far and still three bars!

RobTheGob
May 5th, 2003, 01:10 PM
I should have said "four full bars" after two hours. Now after three hours, I'm down to three bars...

RobTheGob
May 5th, 2003, 03:42 PM
5 hours, 40 minutes - down to 2 bars.

RobTheGob
May 5th, 2003, 06:02 PM
7 hours, 30 minutes -> down to 1 bar.

RobTheGob
May 5th, 2003, 10:22 PM
The suspense must be killing you guys...

10 hours -> 0 bars.

11 hours 45 minutes -> She's dead, Jim.

I'm very happy, indeed.

Chealion
May 5th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Wow, thats a really good battery life! So Apple was about right with their tests. But what about the laptops, are they comprable to Apple's tests or are the real life tests substantially lower then what Apple says?

RobTheGob
May 5th, 2003, 11:50 PM
Jeez, and I thought I was talking to myself. I figured that posting it here means that I can always have a back up of what it was doing new...

I have no idead about the new Apple Laptops. My "modern" laptop is a Dell (blecchh, POS). The newest Apples are 5300's... Their batteries don't last too long.

RobTheGob
May 14th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Geez, just when I thought that the 20GB iPod chapter was closed and I was ready to take a walk and enjoy it...

Last week I ordered another 20GB iPod from Dell.com (yeah - I know, but they have very good discounts). The price I paid was $349 -20% with free overnight shipping. Total paid: $279.20 US shipped to my shipping address in Oregon. I didn't think they were going to get stock to fill the orders, but mine shipped today!

That comes to about $390 CAD. Not bad for a 20GB iPod! I just have to wait about six weeks to get it. I will be returning the one I bought locally, I still have a few days before the cut off...