: what do i do now that i have my laptop...

Pamela
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:22 PM
i would have used a question mark at the end of that sentence but when I type a question mark it gives me this... É or é anyone know how to get rid of thatÉ

lol there it is again

i got my base station working....sweet. had it plugged in the wrong hole.

this keyboard is pretty swanky too...so smooth

i just donèt know what i should be doing nowÉ!

any ideasÉ do i need updates or need to install stuff...or....help ièm a little overwhelmed!

mmp
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:23 PM
#1 thing to do is ENJOY!! :D

Chealion
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Pamela, lets start by getting you to go to System Preferences, go to International and then Input Menu and select the U.S layout, that should help as you have the incorrect keyboard setting, most likely French Canadian.

Another thing you can do is download Safari, if you haven't already and get rid of Internet Explorer ;)
If you have MSN Messenger, I can help you if need be as I'm online right now. You can get MSN Messenger for the Mac by going to www.microsoft.com/mac/ (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/)

P.S My 1500th post :D

EDIT: Fixed spelling, and fixed how to fix keyboard, (still stuck in 9, as it was in the keyboard control panel back then redface.gif )

[ April 24, 2003, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: Chealion ]

elmer
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:36 PM
First do what it says in the Getting Started book that comes in the box. Pay special attention to the instructions for calibrating your battery - very important.
Run Software Update next, and install all the updates available. Then start the steps of switching, described on the website. You'll feel at home once that's done. Do this all in a dark room, of course, so you can enjoy the lighted keyboard graemlins/heybaby.gif
By the way, congratulations.

ehMax
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Right on Chealion. ;) I see this all the time. Its not your fault! When you started up your Mac, it asked you to select a keyboard layout. US or Canadian-CSA. Being the patriotic Canadian, you picked the Canadian flag. What they don't tell you is that its a French Canadian layout. :(

Yes. You should go to System Preferences --> International -->Input Menu, then just uncheck all the flags except the US. (If you do this, you won't have a US flag in the top right of your screen 24/7)

If you WANT a US flag there all the time, you can do this... You should see a Canadian flag at the top right of your screen. Just click this and select the US flag.

Voilå!

Chealion
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Remember Pamela, don't hesistate to ask question here on ehMac! If you are looking for software updates or some shareware to fill your computer, I suggest you go to versiontracker.com
Have fun!

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Run Software Update next, and install all the updates available.

where do i find this exactly??

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:22 AM
I got safari...I got messenger...i changed my keyboard...I got my airport base station working...

...anything crucial at version tracker i should get??

oh yeah...i have my cinema display hooked up and it's in extended desktop mode...how do i get it to mirrored mode? I checked everywhere i could think of?!

I'll have to wait to transfer files till tomorrow..I have my last project due tomorrow morning...

elmer
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Run Software Update next, and install all the updates available.

where do i find this exactly??
Apple Menu (top left corner), then System Preferences ..., then Software Update. That's for most Apple software, including Safari. Sounds like you have high speed, so it shouldn't take too long.

elmer
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:28 AM
oh yeah...i have my cinema display hooked up and it's in extended desktop mode...how do i get it to mirrored mode? I checked everywhere i could think of?!
Isn't that F7?

Chealion
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:29 AM
Software Update can be found in the System Preferences.

VersionTracker - nothing really, but when looking for software updates and such, this is the place to look.

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:31 AM
ok...found the mirror/extended option....and i'm downloading the software updates (it didn't say it would be downloading 10.2.5 though? how do i know what version i have?)

it seems that when i mirror that it doesn't end up filling the entire cinema screen? Then I changed the resolution and it fit but it seemed kinda big and fuzzy? is this normal? It didn't look like this is the store i checked the display out on...?

edit: oh nevermind...it is downloading 10.2.5

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:53 AM
is it possible to configure a mac mail program to get hotmail?

(( p g ))
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Just finished work and thought I would toss in one more post for the day.

Pamela, you were asking about hotmail in OS X Mail. Here's a link to a discussion thread on that very topic on Apple's help site (a very helpful place...so keep it bookmarked).

(http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.3bc19dd0)

Note that they talk about a freeware app available via VersonTracker. See? Good ol Version Tracker...is there anything it can't do?

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:50 AM
sounds like version tracker sure has it all Patrick!

Just to let whoever know...I figured out the whole monitor thing completely.

I am now transferring music through idisk from my windows xp machine...slow but i don't feel like burning cd's....it's going in the background as i work. (I know I said i wasn't going to transfer anything tonight...but i couldn't help it ;) lol)

hhmmm..whatelse. Oh yeah..my ipod. I couldn't quite figure that one out. No "on" button? or is that the middle button? anyway..nothing would turn it on...so I had to plug it into the powerbook and found it and that was all fine...but i have no idea if it was charged or not..seemed like it was dead...so anyway i'm charging it right now and i'll test moving over mp3's to it when I've finished transferring them from my pc.

downloaded remote desktop but can't figure it out...i probably don't need it since I have .mac and idisk and all that.

I really have to check out that hotmail like you sent me patrick...i still haven't figured out how to get all my mail working...(haven't totally tried)

oh yeah one more thing...my pc doesn't seem to "see" my printer that is connected to the base station?

well that's about it for tonight...I'll be up all night working on this last project (and transferring files in the background) since i've been too busy playing with my machine smile.gif

keep the suggestions coming! thanks for all of your help! :D

jfpoole
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you're not transferring files from your PC to your PowerBook via Windows File Sharing? I'd imagine it'd be a lot faster than going through iDisk.

Remote Desktop is useful if you want to use your PC from your PowerBook. You need to have Windows XP Professional running on the PC and have remote desktop connections enabled. It's useful if you're not at a particular PC yet need to do something on that PC.

Oh, the iPod doesn't really have an on or off button; pressing the "play" button should turn the iPod on, and holding the "play" button should turn the iPod off. Of course, the iPod will turn itself off after a couple of minutes of inactivity.

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:28 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any reason why you're not transferring files from your PC to your PowerBook via Windows File Sharing? I'd imagine it'd be a lot faster than going through iDisk.

Umm...cuz I've never done this before and I'm hacking my way through it? lol.

I have no idea how to do what you've just suggested. I don't suppose you could let me in on the tiny trick that probably makes it possible?

....makes sense with the ipod..lol...imagine that...no on button...Glad i'm not going crazy smile.gif

jfpoole
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:54 AM
- From the Finder, click on the "Go" menu
- Select "Connect to Server..."
- Enter <code>smb://&lt;computer-name&gt;/c$</code> in the Address text field
- Click "Connect"

You might be prompted for your username and password. Enter both and click "OK".

You should now have a volume on your desktop named C$. It allows you to access files on your PC's C: drive. You can mount the other drives on your PC as well, using the same method.

Note: This will only work with Windows NT, 2000, and XP. If you're using Windows 95, 98, or ME then you'll have to create a share manually.

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:59 AM
- From the Finder, click on the "Go" menu etc....

yeah I tried all that and I couldn't gain access?? I'm not sure if I had the wrong smb://<computer-name>/c$ in the Address text field or what...I thought I knew my computer's name...??

PosterBoy
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:15 AM
What do we do now? Same thing we do every <strike>night</strike> time we get a new laptop <strike>Pinky</strike> Pamela, TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

But seriously now, to connect to your PC you should just have to go under the "Go" menu and choose "Connect to Server" (or hit command-k) and in the dialogue box that pops up you there should be 2, maybe three columns visible. In the far left one you should have two or three listings, "Local" should be on of them and "YourWorkGroupnameHere" should be another. Select your workgroup name and it should list your PC.

What version of Windows is your PC running? I find all of them except Win2k and WinXP to be a bit of a pain to work with the built in SMB sharing.

--PB

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:49 AM
so wierd. the network works now?! slow..but it works..lol...and it *is* faster than idisk.

jfpoole
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:51 AM
If you're having trouble connecting, then you can use <code>ipconfig</code> on your PC to figure out its IP address, then use that in lieu of computer-name in the Connect to Server dialog box.

Also, if you're using XP on your PC (I presume you are), you might have to disable simple file sharing. To do that:
- Double click on "My Computer" on the Desktop
- Click on the "Tools" menu
- Click on "Folder Options"
- Click on the "View" tab
- Scroll down the list box named "Advanced Settings"
- Deselect "Use simple file sharing (recommended)"

If, after using the IP address to connect and disabling simple file sharing, you still can't connect then I'm at a loss and you're on your own tongue.gif

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:58 AM
maybe you misread my post? I said that the network works now smile.gif hehe. Don't ask me why...i did what i did before..so i thought. it's actually sending the files over quite quickly...thanks for you help jfpoole smile.gif

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:14 AM
my powerbook won't come out of sleep (the screensaver is on and won't come off) mode...?
I've had it on all night transferring files while I work on my project and it has gone in and out of sleep a few times due to "inactivity" but it always came back...till now. I'd hate to reboot, It's in the middle of transferring files....

any suggestions??

elmer
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:57 AM
It's plugged in, and the light on the latch is 'breathing', right, so it really is in normal sleep?
I guess some things you could try would be hitting all different keys, hitting Cmd-Opt-Esc, unplugging and replugging USB devices, closing and opening the lid, etcetera, or just waiting a long time. Sounds like you hit your first gremlin already :( Sorry.

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:59 AM
*hmmf*

i don't like "glitches" :mad:

I've waited almost 2 hours I think...

I tried hitting all the keys and moving the mouse. I guess it isn't "sleeping" because the little light in the front isn't on. The screensavers are going...and they are stuck on one continuously too...

How do you force a mac to quit?

Dr.G.
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Pamela, I agree with mmp -- "enjoy" and then "kvell" (which is a Yiddish word and can best be described with what a grandmother might do when asked if she had any pictures of her first grandchild.........as she was pulling out an album full of pictures of the little child." Yes, enjoy and kvell, and seek advice from the Mac Mavens of ehMacLand (who are the true "missing manuals"!). Mazel tov to you.

elmer
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Or, maybe it's not sleeping? Here's the other answer:
By the way, if you are viewing a screen effect such as a slideshow or something, it's not sleeping. You can use Cmd-Opt-Esc (it's like Ctrl-Alt-Delete) to get a menu to kill things that might be slowing your system, or you can just wait, it should respond to you eventually, it's just really busy right now. Normally the system responds to your commands no matter what is going on, files transferring, whatever - so if you're having trouble quitting the screen saver by hitting a key on the keyboard, then you have something to complain about. Hopefully this won't happen again, at least not often.

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:05 AM
thank you doc G smile.gif ...I will as soon as this paper is done and I've slept for 3 days straight tongue.gif

elmer
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:08 AM
And if Cmd-Opt-Esc doesn't work, I guess you have to force a shutdown by holding down the power button. Not too sure if that's the only thing to do, but it will force a shutdown. Any other ideas?

By the way, Cmd is the key with the Apple logo on it ... and Cmd-Opt-Esc is really much better than Ctrl-Alt-Del

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Or, maybe it's not sleeping? Here's the other answer:
By the way, if you are viewing a screen effect such as a slideshow or something, it's not sleeping. You can use Cmd-Opt-Esc (it's like Ctrl-Alt-Delete) to get a menu to kill things that might be slowing your system, or you can just wait, it should respond to you eventually, it's just really busy right now. Normally the system responds to your commands no matter what is going on, files transferring, whatever - so if you're having trouble quitting the screen saver by hitting a key on the keyboard, then you have something to complain about. Hopefully this won't happen again, at least not often. No, I would agree it isn't sleeping.

I'm not viewing a slide show either. This is what happened...

I connected it to my PC through a network to transfer files from my PC to the mac...everything was going fine and transferring...a few gigs worth....

well every so often it would go to the screensaver (which I'm convinced I turned off..so I don't know what it was coming on)...so I would move the mouse and it would pop out of screensaver mode (the screensaver is different views of beaches...came with the system)

....but it seems that this last time it just wouldn't pop out of that mode...I pressed every key in the book, including what you are telling me is a "forced quit". No response.

What do I do now? Take the battery out?

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 10:11 AM
power button is a no go to elmer.

this thing is just plain stuck.

I'll see if taking out the battery does it.

edit: taking the battery out worked. Now i have to retransfer everything cuz i don't know what got through and what didn't :(

robert
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Pamela, I think I know whats wrong.
If you could send me your powerbook, I could have it up and running in no time. :D :D :D
Of course it might take a while to return it to you. graemlins/rofl.gif graemlins/rofl.gif

Glad you got "the book". Hope all is well in lotus land.
Robert
ps: a nice walk around the seawall at sunset might help in recentring yourself. That or Wreck beach. graemlins/heybaby.gif

gordguide
Apr 25th, 2003, 11:49 AM
OK Pamela, maybe you should try what I do every time I fire up a new Macintosh.

Go to: Dock: System Preferences (similar to control panels in a Windows machine)
Now, one by one, launch every single control panel and configure it as you see fit. If you are unsure about an option or whatever, don't change it, but do go through them all. You should get familair with what each does.

Because your PB has a LCD screen, it will always display best at it's native resolution. Changing to another resolution will be less clear than the native one. This is true of all LCD displays, whether a standalone monitor or a laptop screen, running any OS or made by any manufacturer.

To get you started, I will go through a few (as they are on my desktop-a powerbook will have different options in some cases).

Desktop:
Pick a desktop pattern
Optional: customise the pattern by using a photo of your choice
[Select: Show All icon to get back to the full list]

Dock:
Play around here. I like my dock on the left side with little magnification (may be easier for a former Windows user, because you're used to accessing icons on the left), but whatever you prefer.

General:
Again, play around. I like my arrows together and select "click to here". What that means is when you click the scroll bar on the left of an open window, it will move to the relative page (ie half way down the bar would go to page 50 in an 100 page document). The other option will go to the next page with each click (ie if you're on page 50 it will go to 51). Whatever you prefer. Select the appropriate font smoothing for a powerbook.

International:
I like to work this one a bit. Under Languages: select: Edit and I have all languages except English deleted. Saves time and disk space for certain things (eg searching and indexing). The script part you can ignore (it will be at Script: Roman and Behaviour: English; if not set it so).

Login Items:
Where you put programs you want to launch on every startup. Click the hid button if you don't want to see a splash screen or whatever when they launch. I keep this panel fairly empty, but do have my soundcard config program launch as well as a securty program. But, if you always have mail run whenever you use the computer, you may as well have it launch automatically. Or whatever.

My Account:
Password and login picture selection. Make an address book card while you're there.

Screen Effects:
[seems to be giving you trouble already; fix it here).
Your problems may be related to the tab: Activation
Set the length of time (or never) and indicate if you want to have to re-enter a password to get back to the computer. I don't.

Don't forget to mark/unmark the hot corners. I find it best with no activation (2 clicks on each corner to get a - ) but you decide what you want.

OK, that's the first row (on a desktop system, anyway). Go through them all, and ask questions if you have any doubt as to what to do. There really aren't that many of them; aside from Preferences in each application it's all you need to configure every aspect of your computer, in one place.

elmer
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:21 PM
A little bit of preventive maintenance now and then is good: boot up with the shift key held down until the grey screen with the Apple on it shows up - this forces a filesystem check/repair. I usually do it after a Software Update.

gordguide
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:25 PM
In general, if you are doing a long file transfer over a network (or rendering a DVD, or some other lenghty process) it doesn't hurt to use AC power and temporarily set the Screen Effects control panel to "never". Dim the backlight and go off to some other task, or just relax.

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:27 PM
such helpful enthusiasm from everyone! This is great!

I ended up going through all of the preferences screens earlier this morning (due to a problem I was having)...but thanks for the detailed tip on what to look for and what the preferred settings are smile.gif

hey elmer...is that called zapping the P ram? or is that something else? LOL...I always remember that phrase from my previous mac days...no idea what it means...but apparently it was one of the first things to do!

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:31 PM
In general, if you are doing a long file transfer over a network (or rendering a DVD, or some other lenghty process) it doesn't hurt to use AC power and temporarily set the Screen Effects control panel to "never". Dim the backlight and go off to some other task, or just relax.

yes...i thought I had that all taken care of...but I hadn't checked *everywhere*...that's when I got my panel preferences test...lol. It's all set to never now. That's how I prefer it smile.gif

By the way guys...man...you should see this 23" cinema...It is just out of this world. I can't believe all of the space...and the quality...just gorgeous. and no dead pixels that I can see on either piece of equipment *knock on wood* smile.gif

17" has been purring like a kitten for about 16 hours now...soooo quiet...gorgeous. my ipod is set to go with a pretty pink iskin....i listened to it for a couple of hours...great sound...great little machine...

elmer
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:38 PM
hey elmer...is that called zapping the P ram? or is that something else? LOL...I always remember that phrase from my previous mac days...no idea what it means...but apparently it was one of the first things to do!
See OS X FAQ tips site for more details. (http://www.osxfaq.com/dailytips/02-2003/02-25.ws)

excerpt:
Safe Boot mode forces a directory check of your Mac's hard drive. This is identical to using Disk Utility's Repair Disk or the fsck -fy command in the terminal.
EDIT:
Zapping the PRAM is something else - it is something drastic. Shift-boot is just a maintenance thing you should do once in a while.

jfpoole
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Pamela,

If your computer froze and the only way you could reboot it was by removing the battery, then it sounds to me like Mac OS X crashed....

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 12:55 PM
If your computer froze and the only way you could reboot it was by removing the battery, then it sounds to me like Mac OS X crashed....

sure does doesn't it. Should I let bygone's (sp?) be bygone's? lol tongue.gif

MACSPECTRUM
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:11 PM
"What do I do now?" said the Wise man to the Fool,
"I have spent my whole life searching, to find the Golden Rule,
Though centuries have disappeared, the memory still remains
Of those enemies together, could it be that way again?"

- Chris de Burgh: "Crusader" from album of the same name

[ April 25, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: macspectrum ]

Kosh
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Congrats on the new laptop Pamela.

You may want to download MacJanitor from versiontracker when you have a chance. It's probably best to run it once or twice a month to run the MacOS X cleanup routines, since it's liekly you'll shutdown the laptop daily (the cleanup routines normally run at night if the computer is on).

Britnell
Apr 25th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Congratulations on the new "iron".

My suggestions for stopping off at VersionTracker:

tinkertool (I love having both arrows at both the top/left AND bottom/right of the window.

Cocktail

DragThing. Once you have installed DragThing, you will never have to dig though folders again. And it can put a trash can on the desktop, just like it OS 9!

If you use the Newsgroups a lot, consider Thoth.

Britnell (aka Easy_Meat)

Pamela
Apr 25th, 2003, 04:28 PM
okey dokey. I just handed in my last paper. *phew* i'm exhausted. But i can't just leave my shiny new mac sitting here and not play with it! screw sleep!

ok i'll get on verison tracker and get those things everyone mentioned :D

hey...how do you install a printer? or do mine's a canon s9000...my pc couldn't read it when it was attached to the base station...i guess should test it out with the mac...