: Wireless, Blackberry and Mac

chy
Apr 24th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Is there a third party solution for sync'ing a Blackberry to the Mac? ... or dirvers for either the Sierra or Novatel cards? ... or drivers for any cdma phones (like the A500)?

TIA

VertiGoGo
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:47 PM
I use the Blackberry 6710 handheld for my work email, but the software currently available from RIM (http://www.rim.com) (the makers of Blackberry) is only available for Windows.

Their Blackberry web-mail will work through OS 9 and OS X. But the desktop software will not.

Kind of a bummer. I looked at their site briefly and didn't see a 3rd party solution either.

ehMax
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:46 PM
I have a friend who works for a company that makes software for the BlackBerry. He's an OS X nut and has got a few people there to start using Macs. In his spare time he has told me he is working on a way to sync up a BlackBerry with iSync. Not sure where he is at, but I will try to check with him.

Would be really nice. If it worked. Apple kind of shot themselves in the foot with RIM.

RIM is not very far from where I work. RIM wanted to support Apple and the Newton when they were just making wireless cards. They bought several Newton MessagePad 2000's. They had to wait forever for Apple to ship the weird little dongles they had and some extra accessories. When they finally shipped and they were going to get started, Apple pulled the plug on Newton. A high up engineer told me personally, "no one is ever going to support Apple if they pull stunts like this... no warning or anything. We certainly won't." So getting RIM to support the Mac may be an uphill battle.

There's a little inside dirt for yeah! ;)

jfpoole
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Maybe it's a good thing that RIM has changed a fair bit over the past couple of years. Maybe the people that got burned working with Apple in the past are off doing other things, so RIM might feel more inclined to work on Apple software (especially if it's as simple as an iSync plug-in).

ehMax
Apr 25th, 2003, 08:49 AM
There's always maybe, especially if it makes good business sense.

Apple has ticked of other companies in the past and is still paying the price. [AutoDesk]

I'd love to get a BlackBerry and have it seamlessly work with Mac "out of the box". smile.gif

Apparently, RIM was pretty ticked though and Mike Lazaridis is still co-ceo and will be for a long time.

chy
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:05 AM
it's pretty frustrating ... there is a huge void in drivers and sync'ing to something other than Outlook ....