: Mac OS Catalina out today

18m2
Oct 7th, 2019, 03:28 PM
Just got a notice. I think I'm going to try to perform a clean install on my iMac. I have some old program files that force messages but are not visible.

Wish me luck.

pm-r
Oct 7th, 2019, 07:56 PM
Just got a notice. I think I'm going to try to perform a clean install on my iMac. I have some old program files that force messages but are not visible.

Wish me luck.

OK, Good Luck...!!! OK...???

I heard it was out and even though my 2011 iMac cannot I use it, I was a bit surprised to see it just tucked down in the App Store amongst all the other applications, and surprisingly marked as utilities.

I would have thought that Apple would have released it with a little bit more flourish and pomp, and I hope for you people they aren't too embarrassed about releasing it.

I also noticed that they used their stupid light grey font colour that they seem so keen on using, almost to the point it is almost unreadable:

- Patrick
======

Macfury
Oct 7th, 2019, 08:31 PM
Catalina finally ditches support for some of my favourite 32-bit software, so it will be quite some time before I go there.

pm-r
Oct 7th, 2019, 10:04 PM
Catalina finally ditches support for some of my favourite 32-bit software, so it will be quite some time before I go there.

Similar here, I pretty well gave up on Apple's OS "Upgrades" after they started dropping some useful "features" after Mavericks 10.9.x that I still use as my main boot OS.

And nothing really improved that interests me even if I could use any.

And I don't even really enjoy using my iPad 3 and Apple's idea of a good working iOS with the latest version it can run.

- Patrick
======

Macfury
Oct 8th, 2019, 12:28 AM
I have a 32-bit standalone Photoshop. If I let that go, I'm stuck on Adobe subscription services.

robert
Oct 8th, 2019, 07:47 AM
you should look into Affinity Photo then. No subscription.

wonderings
Oct 8th, 2019, 09:24 AM
I have a 32-bit standalone Photoshop. If I let that go, I'm stuck on Adobe subscription services.

Are you using Photoshop CS6? Thought that one was 64 bit already?

I am staying away as well, Apple has not added anything really major that makes me want to update anymore. Plus a few helpful apps I use for work that would not longer work, I will just stay where I am for the time being.

robert
Oct 8th, 2019, 10:00 AM
yup 64 bit for CS6. CS5 was 32 or 64 bit.

Macfury
Oct 8th, 2019, 10:54 AM
you should look into Affinity Photo then. No subscription.

I'm still happy with good old 32-bit CS5, but it's definitely on my list of things to try.

macintosh doctor
Oct 8th, 2019, 09:46 PM
oh crap.. i still use apple iWeb
guess i won't upgrade

robert
Oct 8th, 2019, 09:55 PM
I picked up Affintiy software when it goes on sale.

Usually July 1st/July 4th/Black Friday/Boxing Day

CubaMark
Oct 9th, 2019, 10:32 AM
oh crap.. i still use apple iWeb
guess i won't upgrade

I guess I also have to finally get around to moving those old iWeb sites I have into something new. For some of the community NGO sites I manage, I've gone with WordPress (http://wordpress.com). For the academic event sites, I've been using Tumult's Hype (http://www.tumult.com/hype).

Beyond that, I don't think there's much in the 32-bit world that could bite me in the ass... I ditched Adobe years ago, going with Pixelmator (http://www.pixelmator.com).

SINC
Oct 9th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Tried to download Catalina this morning and could not. Odd to have damaged software on the App store. Deleted the download and trying again. Go figure.

pm-r
Oct 9th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Tried to download Catalina this morning and could not. Odd to have damaged software on the App store. Deleted the download and trying again. Go figure.

Try using the System Preferences Update instead, and it's about twice the size apparently. Not sure what all the extra stuff is for.

It looks like Apple is keeping up to date with their latest sloppy OS Updates.

Oh well, nothing new or useable for me that I'd even want to use, and besides my 2011 iMac can't use Catalina officially anyway, and at least the old Mavericks kept some features that I prefer to use that seemed to have been remved from later macOS versions.

EDIT: Opps, it looks like you were using the System Preferences Update rather the smaller one from the App Store.

- Patrick
======

eMacMan
Oct 9th, 2019, 03:45 PM

Every so often Apple sends something out that is actually dangerous and is quickly withdrawn. The one I vividly recall was 10.3.7, which was out for less than 4 hours. I noted it in the morning and was intending to update at lunch, by then it had been pulled. I think that was the one that created major headaches for anyone if their main OS partition name contained a space. 'Macintosh HD' being an obvious example.

BReligion
Oct 10th, 2019, 10:28 AM
No issues here..
Well, actually had to upgrade Citrix Workspace (new client dated 08/10/19) manually as the auto update for that application hadn't picked up on it.

Other then that, no issues.

BReligion

18m2
Oct 10th, 2019, 01:47 PM
My laptop performs flawlessly. So far.

I haven't yet upgraded my iMac due to some issues with some old apps that produce messages almost at random and can not be found or deleted. Yes, I turned on the setting to make hidden files visible. An app named NETserver is the worst offender. I think it's for the Brother printer.

FWIW, all the Affinity software is a good alternative to the Adobe stuff.

pm-r
Oct 10th, 2019, 02:40 PM
I haven't yet upgraded my iMac due to some issues with some old apps that produce messages almost at random and can not be found or deleted.

Do you need such a feature, or just not know how to find and delete the application causing the problem???

As for the NETserverand any Brother printer/scanner:
TidBITS Talk - What is NETserver.app? (http://tbtalk.tidbits.com/What-is-NETserver-app-td4663729.html)
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/could-you-live-in-140-square-feet-ubc-students-move-into-nano-suites-for-fall-semester-1.4573582?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

EDIT: is this unknown application preventing the installation of Catalina??? That would be a bit odd.

- Patrick
======

18m2
Oct 10th, 2019, 03:09 PM
I can't find the app.

I believe NETserver is related to the Brother printers ability to scan. The printer scans are poor quality and not useable so I only tested it once. I possible tossed something that makes the app function some time ago.

Thanks for the help. Eventually I'm going to give up and try the clean install route as a last resort. My experience with previous "clean installs" was not good.

This iMac is less than a year old. My old iMac died. I used my backup to reinstall stuff from the HD out of my old iMac and NETserver possible come from the back up.

pm-r
Oct 10th, 2019, 04:01 PM
I can't find the app.

If you know it's name or any other of its other attributes, you should be able to find It and any of It's associated Files using Find Any File (FAF):

Download it from here If you really don't have a copy already:
Find Any File (FAF)
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File (http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php)

- Patrick
======

wonderings
Oct 10th, 2019, 04:18 PM
I'm still happy with good old 32-bit CS5, but it's definitely on my list of things to try.

It is pretty feature rich and should do more then Adobe CS5. The spot healing brush alone is worth it for Affinity Photo, it is a tool in later versions of Photoshop as well and the one tool I use the most.

18m2
Oct 10th, 2019, 11:22 PM
If you know it's name or any other of its other attributes, you should be able to find It and any of It's associated Files using Find Any File (FAF):

Download it from here If you really don't have a copy already:
Find Any File (FAF)
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File (http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php)

- Patrick
======

Thanks for pointing m at "Find Any File". That app works. It found the file, its part of the Brother software. I wonder why Siri or Apple's search failed?

But the app is open and can't be deleted. I searched Brother's site for an upgrade but there is nothing there that's related. I left a message on Brother's site so I'll see.

pm-r
Oct 10th, 2019, 11:45 PM
Thanks for pointing m at "Find Any File". That app works. It found the file, its part of the Brother software. I wonder why Siri or Apple's search failed?

Because for some crazy reason, Apple restricts a lot or search options.

PS: When using Find Any File.app (FAF), press the option key when doing a search and that will put you into using root permissions, and then the "Delete immediately" Option (right click) may actually delete the selected item rom the items found list.

- Patrick
======

SINC
Oct 11th, 2019, 09:56 AM
Got it done without any issues, but Apple has removed Dashboard and that is a terrible move. Gone are all my widgets that I used dozens of times a day. No more quick looks at the weather, the world clock, the calendar and more. I will really miss that feature.

CubaMark
Oct 11th, 2019, 12:15 PM
But the app is open and can't be deleted. I searched Brother's site for an upgrade but there is nothing there that's related. I left a message on Brother's site so I'll see.

A few thoughts...

1/ You can try killing that process using Activity Viewer, in your Utilities folder.

2/ Reboot in Safe Mode (hold SHIFT key) to prevent loading non-Apple apps, drivers, etc., and then try deleting it.

3/ Check this page (https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=dcpt300_all&faqid=faq00000314_004) from Brother about manually removing driver software.

BReligion
Oct 11th, 2019, 01:38 PM
Got it done without any issues, but Apple has removed Dashboard and that is a terrible move. Gone are all my widgets that I used dozens of times a day. No more quick looks at the weather, the world clock, the calendar and more. I will really miss that feature.

They are still there.... At least I think what you talking about it.
Upper right hand side of the screen beside the search icon in the menu bar, the "Notifications" section there is a "Today" tab that has all of the widgets in there.

Now playing, weather, world clock, calendar etc...

BReligion

pm-r
Oct 11th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Just because Apple has removed Dashboard from its latest Mac OS Version doesn't mean to sayIt doesn't work, and if you need a use them, why bother "Upgrading", If you can call it that, to Catalina.

Why not just use the Mac OS version that works for you???

- Patrick
======

18m2
Oct 11th, 2019, 02:26 PM
A few thoughts...

1/ You can try killing that process using Activity Viewer, in your Utilities folder.

2/ Reboot in Safe Mode (hold SHIFT key) to prevent loading non-Apple apps, drivers, etc., and then try deleting it.

3/ Check this page (https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=dcpt300_all&faqid=faq00000314_004) from Brother about manually removing driver software.

OK! I learned a lot over the last couple of days.

With your help I was able to "kill" the app. But attempts to toss it in the trash kept failing. NETserver.app was locked so I unlocked it but it still was not complying. I used a program called AppDeleteLite to try to delete it and it showed there were two additional demons that likely supported the app. With AppDeleteLite it finally ended up in the trash and is gone.

Thanks CubaMark and pm-r for all you help.

SINC
Oct 11th, 2019, 02:38 PM
They are still there.... At least I think what you talking about it.
Upper right hand side of the screen beside the search icon in the menu bar, the "Notifications" section there is a "Today" tab that has all of the widgets in there.

Now playing, weather, world clock, calendar etc...

BReligion

Yes, but only the Apple info widgets are there. All my third party widgets like Environment Canada weather for example, are toast.

SINC
Oct 11th, 2019, 02:40 PM
Just because Apple has removed Dashboard from its latest Mac OS Version doesn't mean to sayIt doesn't work, and if you need a use them, why bother "Upgrading", If you can call it that, to Catalina.

Why not just use the Mac OS version that works for you???

- Patrick
======

That is what I am in the process of doing. Catalina borked both my printers, one colour and one B&W with toner cartridge. Damned if I will buy two new printers. So long Catalina, it hasn't been nice knowing you.

18m2
Oct 11th, 2019, 02:52 PM
Yes, but only the Apple info widgets are there. All my third party widgets like Environment Canada weather for example, are toast.

You can search for Widgets in the App Store.

pm-r
Oct 11th, 2019, 03:06 PM
That is what I am in the process of doing. Catalina borked both my printers, one colour and one B&W with toner cartridge. Damned if I will buy two new printers. So long Catalina, it hasn't been nice knowing you.

It seems you are not alone with your disatisfaction of macOS 15 Catalina and a lot of sites are now popping up with How to downgrade from macOS Catalina instructions.

Not the easiest thing to do If you want to back to High Sierra or earlier.

I got fed up with Apple removing so many features and stuff not working years ago I have just stuck with using mainly Mavericks but I have a working copy of Sierra available to use in case I need itIn a separate partition, and a copy of High Sierra hidden away If I get really desperate, which is also the last Mac OS Version my mid-2011 iMac can run.

Nothing I need or can use in the later OS versions and besides I want to use the older features they removed from their latest versions.

So much for their "New and Improved" OSs!!!

- Patrick
======

pm-r
Oct 11th, 2019, 03:21 PM
You can search for Widgets in the App Store.

Yes, It seems Apple has killed off Dashboard with the latest Catalina Mac OS 15, but widgets will still remain:

Dashboard is finally going away entirely in Catalina, but Widgets are still there, they're just architecturally better and easier to access from the Today panel of the Notification Center.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/07/review-macos-catalina-1015-is-what-apple-promised-the-mac-could-be-and-is-a-crucial-upgrade

ActuallyI thought they were basically both the same sort of thing, But Dashboard was the application, and Widgets were the information part that got displayed.

Either way I hardly ever used them as they were some pretty heavy duty OS Resource users. Or should I say Dashboard was a heavy OS resource user and would hold on to a good big chunk of memory even after being Quit.

- Patrick
======