: Base Mini or base iMac

Sitting Bull
Sep 6th, 2019, 09:56 PM
Well , my refurbished 2007 iMac is finally comming to the end of its life after 12 years of service. I am not into all the tech numbers at all. I will be using my computer for web browsing, you tube, a few documents here and there, basic photos and light accounting.
If i get the mini and purchase a basic monitor it will be about the same price as the iMac. So what would you guys recommend? any benefits to one over the other?
Thanks for the feedback.

18m2
Sep 7th, 2019, 12:22 AM
I've never had a Mac Mini but bought a new iMac after my old one stopped working. The form-factor of the new iMacs is very nice and the mouse and keyboard that are no longer tethered to the monitor are a great feature.

SINC
Sep 7th, 2019, 06:03 AM
I bought a base model Mini in 2015 and it absolutely sucks. So slow I can barely use it.

wonderings
Sep 7th, 2019, 08:48 AM
I bought a base model Mini in 2015 and it absolutely sucks. So slow I can barely use it.

Personally I like the iMac form factor, though I would only buy the base 4K, screen is amazing. I have a few older minis here at work still plugging along nicely thanks to an ssd upgrade, the form factor is nowhere near as polished for the obvious reason of not being all in one. The advantage of the base mini is the ssd drive it comes with whereas the base iMac has a traditional slow hard drive. The mini will run circles around the iMac when it comes to restarting and loading apps. iMac has the better cpu, and the integrated graphics seem similar, though the iMac I will assume is faster. If you upgrade to the base 4k iMac you get a much better computer other then the slow hard drive.

Sitting Bull
Sep 7th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will look more closely at the iMac. For those that live in the Edmonton area, Is the Apple store a better place to buy than Westworld computer?

ChilBear
Sep 7th, 2019, 05:08 PM
If it helps I know some Prepress shops buy the high end Mini and add a monitor and it serves the purpose for 2 years roughly in a commercial environment. Have you considered a few year old Macbook Pro - I am typing on a 2012 and very happy after my 24 in iMac retired - I have it mirrored to a 24 inch monitor and have swapped to a SSD

OldeBullDust
Sep 8th, 2019, 10:34 AM
You might want to take a look at the Apple refurbs, mostly 2017 iMacs but with the full Apple warranty - just like new.
Save a few bucks - enough for a couple of beers!

I bought a 27" i7 in 2010 - still runs fine, a little slower these days, but still boots up and even runs all my old software.

pm-r
Sep 8th, 2019, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, I will look more closely at the iMac. For those that live in the Edmonton area, Is the Apple store a better place to buy than Westworld computer?

Unless you are buying a refurbished the unit from Apple Canada, purchase from the independent authorized Apple resellers and support them, otherwise they won't be there when you do need them.

Apple has lots of money.

Also, go for the iMac unless you have some specific reasons to go with or use an Apple Mini. Even then I would question the decision for a generally slower and underpowered model.

- Patrick
======

polywog
Sep 9th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Personally I like the iMac form factor, though I would only buy the base 4K, screen is amazing.

5k, if you go with the 27", which I strongly recommend. At least the option is there to upgrade the RAM DIY in the future. And the screen is amazing.

Sitting Bull
Sep 9th, 2019, 11:24 PM
5k, if you go with the 27", which I strongly recommend. At least the option is there to upgrade the RAM DIY in the future. And the screen is amazing.

Cant afford the purchase price! Wish I could, my needs are very light so a basic iMac with an SSD would be ideal.

wonderings
Sep 10th, 2019, 05:17 PM

I agree, but it does not seem the budget is there for even a 4K iMac so a 5K would be right out of the question.

Sitting Bull
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone! You are right , the budget was not there unfortunately, otherwise I would have went crazy with the wallet. Anyway, I picked up a used iMac and it is one heck of an improvement from what I had. Once finances improve I will upgrade.
I have one small hick up with Mail and will ask in a new post.
Thanks again folks!
Guy.