: Who the heck is…???

unblocktheplanet
Aug 23rd, 2019, 12:28 AM
Same mid-2011 17-inch MBP, must have been worked on my somebody else at some point.

This somebody entered his login details and bullet-concealed password into the AppStore which means I can’t download!

Any ideas how to clear this & start fresh with my own details?

(No, I didn’t steal this Mac!) TIA!

CubaMark
Aug 23rd, 2019, 02:35 PM
Just go to the STORE tab - it will show which account is currently active. You can SIGN OUT on that menu, and then enter your own credentials.

pm-r
Aug 23rd, 2019, 02:48 PM
What's the question and problem and maybe provide some proper info and details???

Unless mind-reader CM understood better and provided a working solution.

- Patrick
======

CubaMark
Aug 24th, 2019, 09:30 AM
https://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/59a7d5bc170000290028798a.jpeg?ops=scalefit_820_nou pscale

pm-r
Aug 24th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Ah yes, a very faint form is trying to make itself visible... just concentration needed...and trying to focus...

- Patrick
======

unblocktheplanet
Aug 25th, 2019, 03:40 AM
Sorry if my explanation of the problem was inadequate! CM (aka Dr Mesmer) nailed it straight on. Thanks, CM!

pm-r
Aug 25th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Sorry if my explanation of the problem was inadequate! CM (aka Dr Mesmer) nailed it straight on. Thanks, CM!

Did you possibly figure out who the stranger was, especially if you are the only user of your MacBook???

- Patrick
======

unblocktheplanet
Aug 26th, 2019, 01:03 AM
Nope! It's a Thai name so must be a techie at one of the shops where I get repairs & software installed... (Funny, eh?)

wonderings
Aug 26th, 2019, 02:48 PM
pretty sure if you are the admin of the computer you can just load up keychain, find the username and password there for everything that has been logged into on your computer.

CubaMark
Aug 27th, 2019, 11:12 AM
pretty sure if you are the admin of the computer you can just load up keychain, find the username and password there for everything that has been logged into on your computer.

Glad my solution worked :)

Now that that's resolved, and wonderings raised the issue of Keychain... anybody know how to permanently unlock the damn keychain? I mean, if I'm logged-in to my Admin account, and open the Keychain to find a password for Wifi or some damn thing, why do I have to click eleventy-billion times and re-enter my admin password to view each password entry?

M

wonderings
Aug 27th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Glad my solution worked :)

Now that that's resolved, and wonderings raised the issue of Keychain... anybody know how to permanently unlock the damn keychain? I mean, if I'm logged-in to my Admin account, and open the Keychain to find a password for Wifi or some damn thing, why do I have to click eleventy-billion times and re-enter my admin password to view each password entry?

M

I think it is a valid level of security. If you log in to your computer and step away for anything, people could have access to literally everything you have logged into with username and password.

Also not sure if it is really meant to be used on a regular basis, something like iCloud keychain or something similar should be more useable and safe for daily use. I only use keychain if I forget my wifi password as it is not something I am logging into unless I buy a new device.

TiltAgain
Aug 28th, 2019, 03:48 AM
I think it is a valid level of security. If you log in to your computer and step away for anything, people could have access to literally everything you have logged into with username and password.*SNIP*

I am on board with this rationale; but maybe they can put the whole app under the admin password - enter the password to open the app, and once in, do not keep asking for the admin password for every password enquiry.

I actually use keychain access quite often because I have multiple logins for some websites/portals; and I am not really sure which ID is for what purpose. So, when i click on each instance, I have to enter the password so many times.

Cheers

wonderings
Aug 28th, 2019, 09:07 AM
I am on board with this rationale; but maybe they can put the whole app under the admin password - enter the password to open the app, and once in, do not keep asking for the admin password for every password enquiry.

I actually use keychain access quite often because I have multiple logins for some websites/portals; and I am not really sure which ID is for what purpose. So, when i click on each instance, I have to enter the password so many times.

Cheers

That does sound like it would be simpler. Wonder if it is more complicated to have an app with that level of security to open rather then simply needing a password to unlock the specific keychain you are looking for.

pm-r
Aug 28th, 2019, 12:44 PM

That, IMHO would be a much more sensible and practical way of having the keychain password access work.

But it's not much of a hassle in my case as my OS username password is basically not much more than a mouse click. Nice and fast and simple.

- Patrick
======