: iTunes fear

Jazzboy
Jun 6th, 2019, 06:27 PM
I was just reading a CBS News report on the demise of iTunes. Disturbingly, it suggests that songs bought on the site since it premiered in 2001 might require an annual subscription to the new Music app to be playable! Someone, please, tell me it ain't so!

pm-r
Jun 6th, 2019, 11:41 PM
Just make sure you have your own copies of all your old iTunes music and stuff and make sure it's backed up as well.

And maybe use google and read more, ie:
Apple is shutting down iTunes—here’s what will happen to your music
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/04/apple-is-shutting-down-itunesheres-what-will-happen-to-your-music.html

Apple Is Pulling the Plug on iTunes. So What Happens to All Your Music?
But what’s going to happen to all that music you’ve collected over the years? Worry not, Apple says in a press release announcing macOS Catalina: “Users will have access to their entire music library, whether they downloaded the songs, purchased them or ripped them from a CD.” You’ll just have to use that new Music app instead of iTunes.
https://time.com/5600502/apple-itunes-app-music/

etc. ...

As for iTunes and iDevice backup and support, one should be using iMazing.app anyway and it's on sale lately for only $20.00:
https://www.macheist.com/sales/imazing-2-universal-license-for-mac-windows-5?utm_source=macheist&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=2019-06-06_macheistdeals_imazing-2-universal-license-for-mac-windows-5&utm_content=imazing-2-universal-license-for-mac-windows-5

- Patrick
======

wonderings
Jun 7th, 2019, 10:10 AM
It's not so. Apple is separating what iTunes currently does. I think it is actually a good thing. No longer needing iTunes if you manually connect and add to your iPad and iPhone. It now shows up like an external drive.... almost anyways.

iTunes is being replaced with Music which will have all your music in it that you have downloaded. I can see them eventually getting rid of individual sales though. As pm-r said make sure everything is downloaded and not streaming. Apple will give a lot of warning when/if they decide to go down this road of streaming only and removing purchased songs from their store.

eMacMan
Jun 7th, 2019, 10:42 AM
It's not so. Apple is separating what iTunes currently does. I think it is actually a good thing. No longer needing iTunes if you manually connect and add to your iPad and iPhone. It now shows up like an external drive.... almost anyways.

iTunes is being replaced with Music which will have all your music in it that you have downloaded. I can see them eventually getting rid of individual sales though. As pm-r said make sure everything is downloaded and not streaming. Apple will give a lot of warning when/if they decide to go down this road of streaming only and removing purchased songs from their store.

Does this mean those of us who do not upgrade to the latest and greatest OS will no longer be able to purchase music? I am still on elCap on the MBP. and usually run Snow Leopard on the cheese grater. The MBP could run High Sierra but I have no other reason and certainly no wish to go there.

OTOH I pretty much stopped making iTunes purchases once they bumped the price above 99¢.

wonderings
Jun 7th, 2019, 11:10 AM
Does this mean those of us who do not upgrade to the latest and greatest OS will no longer be able to purchase music? I am still on elCap on the MBP. and usually run Snow Leopard on the cheese grater. The MBP could run High Sierra but I have no other reason and certainly no wish to go there.

OTOH I pretty much stopped making iTunes purchases once they bumped the price above 99¢.

No idea, will be interesting to see when Catalina is released how things fair for the rest of us. I am not updating my OS anywhere near as fast as I used to. Was an early adopter up till Snow Leopard. After that the improvements were less and less interesting and useful to me.

I would imagine the store will still be there just access differently with the new apps. Can't see them wanting to close of that potential revenue stream for people who do not update immediately.

18m2
Jun 7th, 2019, 11:37 AM
Apple released a support document outlining what to expect in OS 10.15

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200

pm-r
Jun 7th, 2019, 12:16 PM
Apple released a support document outlining what to expect in OS 10.15

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210200

In typical Apple fashion, that article seems to assume that everybody is just going to jump right in and install their latest upcoming Mac OS.

Sure not going to happen on my iMac!!!

Anyway, I'm sure the change will be very similar to what they did with iPhoto.app and switching to Photos.app. But some old features will probably be dropped or not available the same way they used to be.

- Patrick
======

SINC
Jun 7th, 2019, 02:43 PM
In typical Apple fashion, that article seems to assume that everybody is just going to jump right in and install their latest upcoming Mac OS.

Sure not going to happen on my iMac!!!

Anyway, I'm sure the change will be very similar to what they did with iPhoto.app and switching to Photos.app. But some old features will probably be dropped or not available the same way they used to be.

- Patrick
======

This is precisely why I run both iPhoto and Photos apps on my MBP with two different libraries. iPhoto is still far superior to Photos!

I will also maintain iTunes as well by not upgrading it, duplicating it and to keep using it as it is if necessary.

HowEver
Jun 8th, 2019, 11:22 AM
I keep backups.

But I have zero fear that Apple is going to stop selling me stuff that earns them billions.

pm-r
Jun 8th, 2019, 03:59 PM
I keep backups.

But I have zero fear that Apple is going to stop selling me stuff that earns them billions.

Definitely have no fear, even if Apple was going to stop selling you stuff, very doubtful, with all of the money at stake, there is bound to be several companies to come along and take their place, In fact there are already several that are competing quite well out there. So you'll certainly have no shortage of stuff to buy. :o

- Patrick
======

rgray
Jun 9th, 2019, 09:16 AM
I was just reading a CBS News report on the demise of iTunes. Disturbingly, it suggests that songs bought on the site since it premiered in 2001 might require an annual subscription to the new Music app to be playable! Someone, please, tell me it ain't so!

CBS is not a dedicated Mac news source. Suggest OS X Daily - News and Tips for Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Everything Apple (http://osxdaily.com), https://www.cultofmac.com, https://www.macintouch.com, etc., and this site.......

Jazzboy
Jul 2nd, 2019, 07:01 PM
Thanks for allaying my fears.

polywog
Jul 4th, 2019, 06:21 AM
Thanks for allaying my fears.

I've been using Catalina Beta since the public release. It's actually pretty nice, not much missing except column browser, but it's a huge memory hog. Though, it is still beta so there's some time to fix those last two.

18m2
Jul 4th, 2019, 12:50 PM
All good so far except Apple TV fails to work for down loading or streaming movies.

pm-r
Jul 4th, 2019, 01:06 PM
All good so far except Apple TV fails to work for down loading or streaming movies.

Is this problem related to iTunes or some beta OS version you might be trying out or just installed???

- Patrick
======

18m2
Jul 4th, 2019, 01:46 PM
Not sure but I suspect it might be the app was not fleshed out. BETA #2 is now available and appears to have fixed the Apple TV issue.

It appears the Day One app has some issues as I can no longer access the data file in my lap top (runs the BETA OS) but everything is OK on my desk top and iPhone. The developer claims its an OS problem and they have not begun to look into it. The old pass-the-buck answer.

polywog
Jul 4th, 2019, 08:21 PM

Purchased tracks are not encrypted. If you're really worried, download all of your purchased tracks and stash them somewhere.

That and, CBC is full of it, at least in this case.