: Global Satellite Broadband Internet: SpaceX's Starlink

CubaMark
May 29th, 2019, 10:28 AM
Last week, SpaceX launched it's own fleet of some 60 "Starlink" communications satellites (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riBaVeDTEWI), another step in its goal of a global-coverage, low-cost internet. The launch was innovative in a number of ways, including largest payload-to-orbit yet (about 40,000lbs) and the cramming of so many satellites into the fairing space with a novel launcher mechanism for deployment.

This article from Teslarati (https://www.teslarati.com/spacex-teases-starlink-internet-service-debut/) provides a good overview of the technology, the plan, and when it might become available.... and how very far ahead SpaceX is of the competition.

https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Starlink-solar-array-deploy-SpaceX-pano-3-crop-c-1024x555.jpg

FeXL
May 29th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Hello, Bigot.

No way in hell I'd ever subscribe to Musk internet.

Jes' sayin'...

Macfury
May 29th, 2019, 11:13 AM
There's something creepy about a global Internet system.

I hear these satellites are self-driving, by the way.

polywog
May 29th, 2019, 12:10 PM
There's something creepy about a global Internet system.

I hear these satellites are self-driving, by the way.

Well, global internet provider. It doesn’t change the internet one bit. Would be interested to see the price point. Hopefully cheap enough to persuade the Canadian ISPs to be competitive.

Macfury
May 29th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Well, global internet provider. It doesn’t change the internet one bit. Would be interested to see the price point. Hopefully cheap enough to persuade the Canadian ISPs to be competitive.

It's regulation of content that would worry me. A global Internet provider might willingly subject itself to UN rules for example.

FeXL
May 29th, 2019, 01:32 PM
It's regulation of content that would worry me. A global Internet provider might willingly subject itself to UN rules for example.

DINGDINGDNGDINGDING!!!

We have a winnah!!!

pm-r
May 29th, 2019, 02:20 PM
This article from Teslarati provides a good overview of the technology, the plan, and when it might become available.... and how very far ahead SpaceX is of the competition.

Thanks, and quite incredible and an amazing achievement what they have been able to do, and the speed that they have been able to do it.

- Patrick
======

pm-r
May 29th, 2019, 02:26 PM
DINGDINGDNGDINGDING!!!
We have a winnah!!!

You mean users will be limited to watching streaming reruns of Doris Day movies and Mary Tyler Moore Sitcoms and a live feed from the White House and maybe some history channel coverage of Nixon's speeches???

And, oh yes, several sports coverages maybe, as they have tons of money and clout!!

- Patrick
======

Macfury
May 29th, 2019, 02:29 PM
What do you think UN regulation of the Internet would look like?

You mean users will be limited to watching streaming reruns of Doris Day movies and Mary Tyler Moore Sitcoms and a live feed from the White House and maybe some history channel coverage of Nixon's speeches???

And, oh yes, several sports coverages maybe, as they have tons of money and clout!!

- Patrick
======

polywog
May 29th, 2019, 02:46 PM

That's a very good point.

pm-r
May 29th, 2019, 02:55 PM
What do you think UN regulation of the Internet would look like?

They have already said what they should be like but I'm sure they will be as effective as most of their peacekeeping initiatives have been, much of it being rather sickening and pathetic while the rest of the world watches many other countries citizens slaughtered off.

https://www.un.org/development/desa/en/news/administration/2018-internet-governance-forum-closes.html

Bottom line — Useless, for any sort of actual regulation!!! Rather sad really.

- Patrick
======

FeXL
May 29th, 2019, 03:24 PM

CNN & MotherJones, 24/7/365! Assbook & Twatter will give up all semblance of impartiality. Oh, and if you think Gaggle is currently biased, wait 'til your search engine has to clear the censors at Snopes first...