: Magsafe is back! (but not from Apple)

CubaMark
May 13th, 2019, 01:34 PM
The Uno Cable is a magnetic all-in-one USB-C cable with USB-C, Lightning & MicroUSB (https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/13/uno-cable/)

https://9to5mac.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2019/05/tips.jpg

The Uno Cable is a single USB cable with a MagSafe type magnetic attachment for three different tips:

Lightning
USB-C
MicroUSB

You can also add a USB-C to USB-A adapter for even more flexibility (not included).

Any downsides? One. Yes, you can carry a single cable, but you still have three tips. These are small and easily lost. I was able to leave the USB-C tip connected, plugged into a USB-C to USB-A adapter, and then the two other tips attached magnetically to that. Itís a reasonably good setup, but I do worry about the tips coming detached in my bag and potentially going AWOL. Weíll see.

The Kickstarter price is decent, at $25 (or $21 if youíre quick). Multi-packs are also available.

Itís a Kickstarter project, so the usual risks apply. However, this is the companyís fifth Kickstarter project; it has worked with the same supply-chain partners for three years; working prototypes exist; and itís fully-funded. All-in-all, Iíd be pretty confident the cables will materialize.

The Uno Cable is available for pre-order on Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asaptechnologies/uno-cross-device-usb-type-c-magnetic-cable?ref=6qmjz5), with an official price of $25 and a few $21 rewards left at the time of writing. Delivery is set for July. The retail price will be $39.

(9to5mac (https://9to5mac.com/2019/05/13/uno-cable/))

NOTE: As of 13 May 2019, they've raise just shy of $199-thousand (initial goal $6719)

macintosh doctor
May 13th, 2019, 02:09 PM
dude where have you been hiding ? i have been using these for months, i love them.. especially my kids who destroyed two iPads while yanking on cords..

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078Y4WNVR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
i have been using these for months in my car, house everywhere.. i love them plus they sync with iTunes too which is amazing..

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61rur5bzYHL._SL1000_.jpg

no kickstarter needed $29 for 3 cables.

wonderings
May 13th, 2019, 02:54 PM
What made these things great before was they were integrated and just there. Still a great add on but Apple is basically becoming the Windows of old. Lots of tweaks you could do to make things better and more functional but they never thought of it themselves. Apple its glory days integrated and gave us all these great things that actually improved and made life better when using a computer. Not anymore though, now if you have kids or a dog that runs around and you want to save your laptop you need to go out and buy another product because Apple decided their great idea is no longer good or necessary.

robert
May 13th, 2019, 05:07 PM
maybe so but I still prefer the OSX to any Windows OS/

That and I have many computers running which are over 8 years old.

Yes there has been slippage in innovation but the quality is still there IMHO.

wonderings
May 13th, 2019, 05:19 PM
maybe so but I still prefer the OSX to any Windows OS/

That and I have many computers running which are over 8 years old.

I do agree, but I am agreeing less and less with every update.

Windows 10 is a solid OS, I use it lightly so hard to compare fully. I use MacOS for work with Adobe CC so spend way more time in it.

My next laptop will most likely be a PC variety. I just do not feel the extremely high price point while getting not a lot from Apple is worth it anymore. Any Apple laptop that you can buy that has 500+ gigs is $2000+

Apple had a wider range of affordable and pro computers that you could get to fit most peoples budgets. Now you buy the cheapest you get an incredibly small 128 gig drive and really are expected to subscribe for online cloud storage, so cheap but you are paying monthly to get the space that is super cheap but Apple does not want to sell you anymore (on certain models).

All their products still feel first rate though, from the phone to the laptops and everything in between. It is just what is inside that is bugging me lately.

CubaMark
May 13th, 2019, 05:33 PM
dude where have you been hiding ? i have been using these for months,....

Well, I've only had a USB-C equipped Mac for about a month, so I had no need previously.

I also didn't see anyone else post the info, I thought it would be useful for some folks.

CubaMark
May 13th, 2019, 05:44 PM
Windows 10 is a solid OS, I use it lightly so hard to compare fully. I use MacOS for work with Adobe CC so spend way more time in it.

I couldn't see myself moving to Windows, ever. I used to set up LANs back in the Windows 95 days - enough horror stories to occupy my nightmares for a lifetime. I've had to work with Win 10 at the office from time to time, and nothing about it has screamed "user friendly' to those of us who go beyond basic email and word processing. I gladly pay the "Apple Tax" just to use macOS.

My next laptop will most likely be a PC variety. I just do not feel the extremely high price point while getting not a lot from Apple is worth it anymore. Any Apple laptop that you can buy that has 500+ gigs is $2000+

I have posted elsewhere in ehMac about my dilemma - I needed to replace my late-2014 Retina MacBook Pro when the keyboard gave out (I type a (*lot*), making do with an early-2013 MacBook Air in the interim, but well aware of the current state of Apple laptops (i.e., not impressive, with stupidly fragile keyboards and a display cable issue that I don't know whether it has been resolved as yet). I couldn't in good conscience recommend a Mac laptop to anyone (and I'm the go-to guy when folks are buying). In the end, I personally shifted my world over to a desktop (27-inch iMac, 4.2ghz I7). It's a lovely machine... and the old MBA still works well enough for whenever I need to do some light work on the sofa.

And what's inside for me is just fine: Mojave works amazingly fine on the 2013 MBA with only 4 gigs of RAM! On my iMac, it's great (and will be better once I double my RAM: I chose this model iMac specifically for its upgradability in that regard). This computer will serve my needs for a long time to come....

And although I have two USB-C ports on the back, one currently hosts a USB-C to USB-A adapter, pretty much everything else is on a hub, and I have the best of all worlds, port-wise. Maybe when Apple manages to convince me that its laptops are trustworthy again, at that point I'll be worried about Magsafe. But Apple's position nowadays appears to be: Magsafe not really an issue anymore with all-day battery life, less of a need to leave your portable plugged in.

macintosh doctor
May 13th, 2019, 10:21 PM
Well, I've only had a USB-C equipped Mac for about a month, so I had no need previously.

I also didn't see anyone else post the info, I thought it would be useful for some folks.

i have an asus mx27U monitor with a hub connected to it which is located under my desktop. I have the monitor connected to my laptop by USB c which charges and provides conductivity to the hub .. all good.. also my cars are still regular usb and my many chargers lying around the house..

wonderings
May 14th, 2019, 03:51 PM
I couldn't see myself moving to Windows, ever. I used to set up LANs back in the Windows 95 days - enough horror stories to occupy my nightmares for a lifetime. I've had to work with Win 10 at the office from time to time, and nothing about it has screamed "user friendly' to those of us who go beyond basic email and word processing. I gladly pay the "Apple Tax" just to use macOS.

I have posted elsewhere in ehMac about my dilemma - I needed to replace my late-2014 Retina MacBook Pro when the keyboard gave out (I type a (*lot*), making do with an early-2013 MacBook Air in the interim, but well aware of the current state of Apple laptops (i.e., not impressive, with stupidly fragile keyboards and a display cable issue that I don't know whether it has been resolved as yet). I couldn't in good conscience recommend a Mac laptop to anyone (and I'm the go-to guy when folks are buying). In the end, I personally shifted my world over to a desktop (27-inch iMac, 4.2ghz I7). It's a lovely machine... and the old MBA still works well enough for whenever I need to do some light work on the sofa.

And what's inside for me is just fine: Mojave works amazingly fine on the 2013 MBA with only 4 gigs of RAM! On my iMac, it's great (and will be better once I double my RAM: I chose this model iMac specifically for its upgradability in that regard). This computer will serve my needs for a long time to come....

And although I have two USB-C ports on the back, one currently hosts a USB-C to USB-A adapter, pretty much everything else is on a hub, and I have the best of all worlds, port-wise. Maybe when Apple manages to convince me that its laptops are trustworthy again, at that point I'll be worried about Magsafe. But Apple's position nowadays appears to be: Magsafe not really an issue anymore with all-day battery life, less of a need to leave your portable plugged in.

I have had a tough time recommending Apple laptops as well right now. Like you friends and family come to me for all their tech help and in the past I would always recommend something from Apple as they had various computers for various prices and it did not feel like you were getting ripped off in terms of storage and you could always upgrade the RAM yourself at a later date. Apple refuses to upgrade anything beyond the specs of what you purchased.

I have recommend and help people buy iMacs, still like the form factor though the design is very dated now with that massive bezel. I still use a 5K iMac that I bought maxed out. Fantastic screen.

As for the OS Apple has done nothing in many years to get me excited about any update. I used to be an early adopter as in day 1 since the very first version. Now I sit a couple versions behind till I have to or I decide to fight with Apple's changes that make me "Think Different".

pm-r
May 14th, 2019, 05:00 PM
dude where have you been hiding ? i have been using these for months, i love them..

Good for you and I could never figure out why Apple dropped using the MagSafe connector with their more recent models.

But I just received an e-mail notice about this cable and its adapters today, yet I don't even have a Mac bottle I could use it with.

I thought Griffin or somebody were making a similar type magnetic adapter as well. And didn't Apple have a patent on their design or something or has it lapsed??

EDIT:
i have been using these for months, i love them..
Sorry, your linked cable you seem to be using are different but similar cables: NetDot 3 in 1 5th generation magnetic cable
not the Uno Cable that have just recently been released.

PS: some of the user comments at the site you mentioned might be worthwhile reading for some.

I gather they are working better for you than some of the posters that had problems with them.

Anyway, they seem like a good idea if the Mac's connection doesn't release as well as Apple says it does.

- Patrick
======

pm-r
May 14th, 2019, 05:15 PM

Hmmm...??? I think some are wondering about that lately.

Case in point just to mention a few quickly:
- delaminating retina screens
- keys jamming on some of the keyboards
- battery/software failures on some iDevices
etc,

Certainly not the standards that Apple used to have, and supplied.

- Patrick
======

macintosh doctor
May 14th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Good for you and I could never figure out why Apple dropped using the MagSafe connector with their more recent models.

But I just received an e-mail notice about this cable and its adapters today, yet I don't even have a Mac bottle I could use it with.

I thought Griffin or somebody were making a similar type magnetic adapter as well. And didn't Apple have a patent on their design or something or has it lapsed??

EDIT:

Sorry, your linked cable you seem to be using are different but similar cables: NetDot 3 in 1 5th generation magnetic cable
not the Uno Cable that have just recently been released.

PS: some of the user comments at the site you mentioned might be worthwhile reading for some.

I gather they are working better for you than some of the posters that had problems with them.

Anyway, they seem like a good idea if the Mac's connection doesn't release as well as Apple says it does.

- Patrick
======

I have been recommending them for months to others and everyone is super pleased..
i had one lightening adaptor flake, sent an email literally over night got a bag of 3 for free, that is service.. [ that is incredible service - as for reviews.. i always read them with a grain of salt, knowing there are many that love complaining. ]

as for my laptop i have been using Magsafe usb c cable by griffin tech.. love it.. had it fall apart after a month and they sent me another no questions asked..

i am not going to wait or bitch about apple, it will not help me.. besides Tim Cook has to go he is too political and liberal for apple, but again i am glad there are 3rd party companies out there which are filling the void.

pm-r
May 14th, 2019, 09:27 PM
besides Tim Cook has to go he is too political and liberal for apple,

If he does, which I very much doubt as he seems to be the apple board and most of the stockholders Golden Boy, but I sure hope he takes Jony Ive with him.

Maybe then we could get some good practical Apple Innovation back.

- Patrick
======

hexdiy
May 14th, 2019, 09:55 PM
Not sure if I'd call Tim Cook too liberal or political. The fact that he's gay and stands for it is no concern of ours...

Our concern is that he's a tight ass bookkeeper (no pun intended), who doesn't really care for innovation, neither cares for customer service (sorry, Mz. Arerndts), neither cares for a (now wellnigh orphaned) Mac user base as long as the (iPhone) $s keep flowing in...

As for Jony Ive (Mr Flatten): look where the recent butterfly keyboard has gotten him...
And the LVDS cable...

Sorry for the rant.

pm-r
May 14th, 2019, 11:34 PM
neither cares for customer service (sorry, Mz. Arerndts),

No need for apologies, Angela Ahrendts left the company with April 15 2019 marking her last day at Apple.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/15/angela-ahrendts-officially-leaving-apple-today/

Maybe now the Apple stores will get back to normal or as they were with their geniouses etc. as I understand things, but I've never been to an Apple Store. The closest one is too far away with a ferry trip and possible overnight stay needed.

- Patrick
======

hexdiy
May 15th, 2019, 12:56 AM
Sorry for the misspelling.
And I still believe the best Apple store is your humble self...

Otherwise, Apple sites around the world will assist you better than any youngun self-declared Apple Genius can...

wonderings
May 15th, 2019, 09:30 AM
If he does, which I very much doubt as he seems to be the apple board and most of the stockholders Golden Boy, but I sure hope he takes Jony Ive with him.

Maybe then we could get some good practical Apple Innovation back.

- Patrick
======

While I find those Jony Ive videos pretentious and annoying, he is skilled when controlled and guided. I think Steve Jobs utilized him well and created some fantastic products. He just seems to have free reign now where he should be guided.

As long as Apple is making money like they are I do not see Tim Cook going anywhere. I do hope that it does end soon though and people, myself included, start showing with our dollars our dislike for the direction Apple has gone. I do not see that happening though, and the people who are not happy are a small minority I think which is why we have seen no Mac Pro innovation and see hard drive sizes drop while becoming insanely expensive if you want what was once normal. Apple as a whole and this probably starts at the top, is way to full of themselves and it was incredibly evident at the last event where they announced 3 or 4 new ways to give Apple money every month with different subscriptions.

Apple was a tool for the creatives, now they think they are the creatives and hold themselves up as world changers.

polywog
May 15th, 2019, 09:52 AM
No need for apologies, Angela Ahrendts left the company with April 15 2019 marking her last day at Apple.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/15/angela-ahrendts-officially-leaving-apple-today/

Maybe now the Apple stores will get back to normal or as they were with their geniouses etc. as I understand things, but I've never been to an Apple Store. The closest one is too far away with a ferry trip and possible overnight stay needed.

- Patrick
======

There was a definite change under her. It was not a pleasure to shop at the Apple Store the last few times I went. To the point I don't bother anymore. Once upon a time it was great, though.

wonderings
May 15th, 2019, 10:48 AM
There was a definite change under her. It was not a pleasure to shop at the Apple Store the last few times I went. To the point I don't bother anymore. Once upon a time it was great, though.

I have always found the help at the Apple store to be first class. Never felt like I was fighting to prove that I was having a problem or anything like that. Took me at my word when I could not repeat an issue I had been fighting with for a while and did the work needed. Of course this was all in warranty, not sure what they are like outside of warranty.

hexdiy
May 16th, 2019, 05:55 AM
I am my own Apple Shop.
Point blank...

pm-r
May 16th, 2019, 02:08 PM
I am my own Apple Shop.
Point blank...

That's nice having your own in-house Apple Genius but not so good when some Apple Warranty or Apple replacement is needed. :o

- Patrick
======

hexdiy
May 16th, 2019, 11:01 PM
Indeed, but none of my Apple devices are young enough to even be electable for Apple Care.

Most of these devices are elderly, most of them have been repaired by myself.

My youngest Mac is a mid 2012 13" MBP under El Cap.

unblocktheplanet
May 16th, 2019, 11:32 PM
While weíre on the subject:

1) Lack of ports
2) Tiny SSDs or big price
3) Loss of Magsafe
4) Not upgradable
5) Poorer quality standards
6) Geniuses?!? One has to beg!
7) Apple Zoos!
I prefer to customise by phone.
8) Restrictive AppleCare
9) Poor customer service
10) No feedback mechanism
11) Bluetooth peripherals

Here some of you may differ. I hate to worry about battery maintenance. I want USB keyboard & mouse/trackpad for the only affordable Mac.

However, the iMac only works for those of us who can work at a desk.

These complaints notwithstanding, Iím still using my 2011 17Ē MBP but Iíll be the first in line for the promised 16.5Ē!

HLReiku
May 28th, 2019, 12:48 PM
I was watching a youtube video showing off the G4 Power Cube. Although it was an unpopular piece of hardware, it still had that classic Apple magic. It's hard to describe, just things like a handle that clicks out. The whole computer coming out and its guts being there. But you can cram it all back into the enclosure. It was different.

Now the argument for Mac vs PC whats the difference is kinda narrowing down.

baker_jeff
Jun 28th, 2019, 03:44 PM
I'm using a magnetic connector at home with my 2017 MBP. A dongle is plugged into said connector. When I arrive home, I plunk my MBP into it's stand (which is tucked behind my 28" 4K monitor) connect the single magnetic connector in 0.5 seconds, and instantly my system is connected to my large display, and the USB 3.0 stand/dock it is placed on. It is a wicked system and very convenient.