: MBA shutting down randomly after new battery install

james_squared
May 7th, 2019, 04:44 PM
I had a new battery installed in my mid-2013 MBA as the other battery was barely holding a charge.

With this new battery, unfortunately, the computer just shuts itself down somewhat randomly. It happens when it is sleep, when it is awake and just sitting there, and when I'm actively using it. It shuts down whether on battery power only or when plugged in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure the hard shutdowns are not good for the machine!

The MBA is currently running 10.12.6 MacOS Sierra

Here's the information on the battery that comes up under "About this Mac".

Model Information:
Serial Number:
Manufacturer: SMP
Device Name: BQ20Z451
Pack Lot Code: 0
PCB Lot Code: 0
Firmware Version: 006e
Hardware Revision: 00aa
Cell Revision: 1
Charge Information:
Charge Remaining (mAh): 5599
Fully Charged: Yes
Charging: No
Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 5599
Health Information:
Cycle Count: 1
Condition: Normal
Battery Installed: Yes
Amperage (mA): 0
Voltage (mV): 8356

pm-r
May 7th, 2019, 06:08 PM
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm sure the hard shutdowns are not good for the machine!

Try a SMC reset:
How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

- Patrick
======

james_squared
May 7th, 2019, 06:19 PM
Try a SMC reset:
How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201295

- Patrick
======

Thanks. I hope it works!

james_squared
May 9th, 2019, 12:34 AM
It's definitely helped. Thanks.

Not too sure about this battery. My istat menu sometimes shows the batter as 100% health and sometimes at 50% health. It still shows just 1 cycle, which isn't right at all.

Fun.

pm-r
May 9th, 2019, 12:54 PM
It still shows just 1 cycle, which isn't right at all.

You'd have to check and make sure it met the conditions that dictates a full charge, ie:
A charge cycle happens when you use all of the battery’s power—but that doesn’t necessarily mean a single charge.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201585

Anyway, keep your receipt for the bappery replacement just in case. :o

PS and OT: My wife's nephew who was married a year of so ago is now living and working in Cranbrook, British Columbia. He's a native of Nelson where his parents still live.
He definitely does not use Macs or any Apple products and can be quite opinionated about the topic!! :o

- Patrick
======

james_squared
May 9th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Nice information. Thanks, again.

It might not help that I think it's an extra cheap crappy battery. And, yes, I have that receipt!

pm-r
May 9th, 2019, 01:13 PM
Nice information. Thanks, again.

It might not help that I think it's an extra cheap crappy battery. And, yes, I have that receipt!

BTW: It has happened with even Apple's replacement batteries that they have supplied a poor preforming battery. I have had good luck with third-party supplied batteries and refused to pay apples absurd exaggerated price.

PS: I added an OT edit to my previous post above you may not have had a chance to notice, anf BTW, his name is James also.

- Patrick
======

james_squared
May 10th, 2019, 07:36 PM
BTW: It has happened with even Apple's replacement batteries that they have supplied a poor preforming battery. I have had good luck with third-party supplied batteries and refused to pay apples absurd exaggerated price.

PS: I added an OT edit to my previous post above you may not have had a chance to notice, anf BTW, his name is James also.

- Patrick
======

No, I missed that OT. That's funny because I think Nelson is much nicer than Cranbrook! Pretty hilly, though.

There are lots of people named James. It was quite the popular name. Mind you, of the two or three hundred employees where I work I think I'm the only one. :(

pm-r
May 10th, 2019, 09:00 PM
@James
No, I missed that OT. That's funny because I think Nelson is much nicer than Cranbrook! Pretty hilly, though.

It may be, I think we've only passed through Cranbrook two or three times on our way to Calgary via a stay at Nelson with the relatives, but in the case of the other James, one has to go where the work is available, and in his case, a better-paying job as well.

- Patrick
======