: T2 chip not in new iMac

whippet0
Mar 19th, 2019, 09:42 PM
Apple came out with new iMac models today but I notice they do not have the T2 chip in them. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it likely that Apple will eventually cut off support in OS X for Macs that do not have a T2 chip?

Thanks,
George

pm-r
Mar 19th, 2019, 11:37 PM
Is it likely that Apple will eventually cut off support in OS X for Macs that do not have a T2 chip?

Who knows what Apple is going to do in the future, but I would suggest that they would be shooting themselves in the foot If they dropped support for a Mac model that they have just released and before it's normal unsupported Legacy time.

- Patrick
======

wonderings
Mar 20th, 2019, 09:07 AM
I do not think they will cut support, they will just not have the same level of security. Apple will bring it eventually in what will be their best iMac ever!

Eventually though like all computers, it will no longer be supported for newer OS's.

polywog
Mar 20th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Apple came out with new iMac models today but I notice they do not have the T2 chip in them. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it likely that Apple will eventually cut off support in OS X for Macs that do not have a T2 chip?

Thanks,
George

Don't think it's strictly necessary without biometric authentication. I don't think there's a touch ID on the new iMacs. The extra security provided by the T2 is just bonus. May be mistaken though.

HowEver
Mar 20th, 2019, 02:41 PM
These are just updates, with prices kept similar. I wouldn't expect major changes here.

wonderings
Mar 20th, 2019, 03:08 PM
The i9 chip is a pretty big jump, though nothing ground breaking like a new design and features, just performance increases.