: Way Back When

SINC
Mar 19th, 2019, 11:33 AM
Nearly every day, I come across a picture that happened years back but remind me of another time. I thought this thread might be interesting to see what others see that takes them back in time.

I will begin with The Beatles with Fats Domino in New Orleans - 1964, all gone but Paul and Ringo.

Dr.G.
Mar 19th, 2019, 12:44 PM
A cool thread, Don. Merci.

Staying with the 60's, a fond memory of Shea Stadium, which was where I saw many, many ball games.

SINC
Mar 23rd, 2019, 11:19 AM
One part of my life that I still miss as I was never a fan of movie theatres, but loved the drive-in. My parents first took me there in the mid-50s, then with friends in the mid-60s, then with our own children in the mid-70s. A local mall holds two drive-in movie nights during the summer and while not the same as the old big screen of the original drive-ins, it is a chance to take the grandchildren to the cartoon style kids movies they show at this mall. Oddly enough the kids seem to enjoy it as much as I did as a kid. Ah, memories.

Macfury
Mar 23rd, 2019, 12:49 PM
Still a couple of drive-ins operating in the Toronto area. Big memory for me was kids playing in the little playground in pajamas. Parents knew they would be asleep in the car before long. We would wait and wait for it to become dark enough for the movie to start, but always a few cartoons first!

SINC
Mar 24th, 2019, 09:37 PM
Always been an old car fan and there is nothing that every became indelible in my memory than a pink and black 50s car. I owned one, a Plymouth, but the sweetest of all was a Ford Crown Victoria such as the one pictured here. The only issue with that year was the 6-volt electrical system. Only Ford lagged behind in the 55 autos. Both GM and Chrysler converted to 12 volt systems in 55. Ford didn't catch up til 56.

Macfury
Mar 24th, 2019, 09:39 PM
Always been an old car fan and there is nothing that every became indelible in my memory than a pink and black 50s car. I owned one, a Plymouth, but the sweetest of all was a Ford Crown Victoria such as the one pictured here. The only issue with that year was the 6-volt electrical system. Only Ford lagged behind in the 55 autos. Both GM and Chrysler converted to 12 volt systems in 55. Ford didn't catch up til 56.

SINC, what's the down side on the 6 volt system?

SINC
Mar 24th, 2019, 09:42 PM
SINC, what's the down side on the 6 volt system?

Not enough jam to turn over the bigger OHV V-8 engines introduced in 1955. My 1955 Mercury turned over so slow when hot, it seldom started. Let it cool down for an hour and it would start every time.

Also poor headlights at night gave little light to drive by. The 12 volt lamps made a huge difference.

SINC
Mar 24th, 2019, 09:48 PM
The 56 model also toned down the vivid pink to a more pleasing lighter colour although this is only a Victoria, not a crown Victoria.

Macfury
Mar 24th, 2019, 09:48 PM
That makes sense--thanks!

SINC
Mar 30th, 2019, 11:14 AM
I stumbled across an article about 3-D television while searching for material for my website and realized that such a set in our homes is far from reality and apparently a consumer flop.

It got me to thinking about my first experience with 3-D in the form of a movie when I attended the original 'House Of Wax' movie with Vincent Price back in the mid 1950's. As if a horror movie was not scary enough for a kid back then, adding 3-D made it extra so.

The movie versions of 3-D seem to be few and far between even today when surely technology has advanced to the level that making one should be a piece of cake. But they remain a rare oddity in any medium.

I can clearly recall that first 3-D experience and a couple more in later times as being a real event in our small community of 15,000 souls or so.

I bet there are even people out there who have never been to a 3-D movie.

Anyone else ever seen one, or have any memories of the medium?

Is there a future for 3-D in any medium?

Full disclosure; I am not a movie theatre guy any longer. After seeing hundreds of them during my childhood and teens the sound level in theatres drove me out of them by the early 1970s when I went to see 'The Exorcist' in Chatham, ON. Thinking it might be different, I attended 'Coming To America' as an Eddie Murphy fan out of curiosity in the late 1980s, but once again the volume level forced me to leave before the film was over. I cannot even imagine what the sound must be like in today's theatres given the way my car bounces at a red light under assault from the bass players in cars surrounding me.

I now rent movies and watch them in the comfort of my living room with popcorn and a cold beer at a sound level my apparently sensative hearing can abide.

Dr.G.
Mar 30th, 2019, 11:26 AM
"Is there a future for 3-D in any medium?"

Of course .................... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R3G_beQccA