: 2005 Emac starts up but no picture on screen...

macfalls
Feb 13th, 2019, 07:02 PM
hello all... it's been ages since i've been on here. life takes you in different directions than you expect lol.

anywho, i recenty was given a 2005 Emac and was in the process of reinstalling 10.5.6 and updating it to 10.5.8. i walked away from the mac to do other things while it downloaded patches, updates and security updates and when i returned to continue and finish things the monitor was off and wouldn't come back on moving the mouse.

no worries, i just held the power button to turn it off then waited about a minute and hit the power button. i hear the "booong" sound and i see the white light on the front by the cd slot and i hear the fan... but nothing ever appears on the screen.

ive been doing my due diligence looking up what the issue could be. and it seems the common issue with some models was the IVAD cable. but it sounds like the HDD isn't working.... but would that cause the picture to not show up ? would it not just show the question mark and folder icon ? i'm totally stumped as it was working when i got it and only when i went to wipe and reinstall the OS did this happen.

sorry for the run on sentences as im googling if anyone else had the same issue or remedy.

pm-r
Feb 13th, 2019, 11:50 PM
Do you have any other clone volume that you could try booting from, or even a compatible install CD/DVD???

You could also try using a SafeBoot, but it sounds like the hard drive has died. Or it may even be the GPU has gone kaput and hence no display.

(Don't forget, the display has to work in order to show any possible questionmark "?", and as you suggested, the hard drive would have to spin up in order to discover there was no blessed Operating System to Boot from.)

- Patrick
======

- Patrick
======

macfalls
Feb 14th, 2019, 01:28 AM
just to clarify...

even if the hdd was dead the screen should come on and show the question mark and folder correct ?

i have the adapter to run another display and unless the monitor i'm using isn't compatible it's not showing anything on it as well. so would that suggest i have a dead GPU ? or would it possibly be the IVAD cable ?

how would i get into safe boot ?

SINC
Feb 14th, 2019, 06:05 AM
Start the system in Safe Boot mode
Restart the Macintosh. Press and hold the Shift key immediately after you hear the startup tone.
Release the Shift key when the Apple logo appears. Safe Boot appears on the Mac OS X startup screen.

pm-r
Feb 14th, 2019, 12:45 PM
or would it possibly be the IVAD cable ?

Check out the comments for the bad cable and symptoms here:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8454822

For heaven sakes watch out for the high-voltage inside those machines It can kill!!!!

As much as I like keeping older Macs running, I'd say it's time to retire that old eMac.
It's sure not up too much as far as browsing the Internet goes and is incapable or running a lot of newer software. And I'm sure not suggesting Mojave.

- Patrick
======

macfalls
Feb 14th, 2019, 04:17 PM
does the newer OS 10 install on old PPC systems ? i thought they did a microsoft thing and made it compatible with older systems... or just older intel based systems ?

pm-r
Feb 14th, 2019, 05:14 PM
does the newer OS 10 install on old PPC systems ?

It depends on which PPC Model, but I believe all Mac models from the G3s and beyond can all run various versions of Mac OS X (ie: Mac OS 10.x)

You can check out all the Mac specs here:
https://everymac.com/

Or specifically here on processor types:
https://everymac.com/systems/by_processor/

You'll find more than enough information at https://everymac.com/

- Patrick
======

CubaMark
Feb 14th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Are you able to connect an external monitor using the mini-VGA port? That would tell you if the system is indeed loading, and narrow down the failure.

https://i1.wp.com/www.nicholaspyers.com/wp-content/uploads/emac-ports.jpg?ssl=1

macfalls
Feb 15th, 2019, 12:01 AM
so far this is what i'm finding out as i try different key modes in start up. when holding S when starting it boots, but i get nothing on the screen. i tried tapping the power button to put into sleep mode then tapping it again to wake it hoping it would make the picture kick back on, but no luck. i tried holding T while starting and that did nothing.... i even put in my 10.5.6 disc and held the C key and that did nothing as well.

BUT, when i lean into the eMac while it's starting up i hear the fan of course, and i think the hdd is spinning up. and i hear the cd rom... i think. i have not tried the video out port yet. i will do that next and see what happens. i have an LCD monitor, can i use that or do i have to have a certain type of monitor to use the video out port ? i have the VGA adapter just need to know if it has to have a certain kind of monitor.

btw, thank you all for help with the trouble shooting.

i think i may just take the risk and buy a used but tested working logic board off ebay and see if swapping it out would do the trick. i did take a look inside the ram port to see if i could see any leaks from capacitors but it looks to be fine. and my google searches come up with the IVAD cable or the video portion on the logic board going bad. but those are the 700-800 models. mines the final version before they were discontinued and they say these didn't have any issues that were major like this....

i don't smell anything like it's burnt or frying anything.... it seems fine aside from having no picture. i know it didn't cost me anything, but i would like to try and fix the issue before resorting to recycling it.

macfalls
Feb 15th, 2019, 12:06 AM
ohhh, what i'm thinking of and just came across in another search. someone mentioned if they had used a second monitor and changed the settings, thus causing the main screen on the eMac to stay off. like they used a bigger monitor and have it set to use that thus the settings have it set to the external one and not this.

the only thing is if that's the case, how does one get back into the settings to turn that feature off and go back to the eMac's screen ?

pm-r
Feb 15th, 2019, 12:18 AM
the only thing is if that's the case, how does one get back into the settings to turn that feature off and go back to the eMac's screen ?

Try an NVRAM and PRAM Resets.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204063

- Patrick
======

Rob
Feb 15th, 2019, 12:30 PM
macfalls, GET A GRIP, MAN!!

I knew immediately that the disease had reared its ugly head again when I read these words, "I recenty was given a 2005 Emac". The disease is commonly referred to as Junkmacresurrectionitis. Sadly, there is no known cure, but this form of mental illness can usually be controlled through therapy, and the help of concerned friends and family. There is usually no need for medication, unless the disease has progressed significantly. An emptying wallet is the certain indicator of significant disease progression, and must be dealt with immediately.

Take a few deep breaths and follow these instructions explicitly.
1) Unplug the eMac
2) Take the eMac to the nearest electronics recycling center

The hallucinations should end in a day or two, but you must follow the instructions explicitly.

.... and to the rest of you folks giving this poor man/woman "encouragement". STOP IT, YOU BLOODY SADISTS!!!!!

eMacMan
Feb 15th, 2019, 12:49 PM
FWIW Leopard is the last system that will run on an eMac.

I think Tiger introduced the restart in the middle of updates, it sounds like something went amiss at that point. Ideally you would boot from an external FW drive and do your trouble shooting and a fresh OS install from there.

The external monitor idea may have merit, booting in safe mode should bypass that setting.

macfalls
Feb 15th, 2019, 12:57 PM
lol, that made me spew coffee out my nose.

i'm not one of "those" people.... trust me on that ! i have a life and family. i can only "tinker" once in a while... and i consider macs and apple systems works of art, not these black or grey pc boxes that run windows. i really hate to just toss a mac in the electronics bin if i don't have to.

i mean if it's a simple part or a few hours to fix it back to a running state i would much rather do that and also learn something in the process. but enjoyed your input none the less !

macfalls
Feb 15th, 2019, 01:09 PM
eMacMan,
where would i find a firewire cable ? i see them on ebay but the majority are coming from china or some location overseas, and the local NA ones are expensive for a one time use. if you have an ontario based store you can think of please let me know... i tried factory direct.ca and they have a store here in town, but the cables were shoddy and didn't want to risk frying something dealing with ports.

your thoughts that something buggered during a restart could be possible. maybe the video drivers didn't install or failed to somewhere. i'm open to trying things.... so i will do the external monitor next and see if i get a picture, but first will try the PRAM/NVRAM thing.

pm-r
Feb 15th, 2019, 02:14 PM
I knew immediately that the disease had reared its ugly head again when I read these words, "I recenty was given a 2005 Emac". The disease is commonly referred to as Junkmacresurrectionitis.

LOL!!! :clap: :lmao:

PS: My fully loaded LC 630 and G3 Desktop are still operational in my spare basement work area, and were used to rescue a lady's husbands writings who passed away who had saved them to old floppies.

Including some that were on Apple DOS formatted floppy disks.

Sure couldn't do any such recovery on any recent Mac!!!

- Patrick
======

Rob
Feb 17th, 2019, 02:38 PM
I'm not one of "those" people.... trust me on that! I have a life and family.

Denial. My worst fears have been realized. There's no pulling back from the brink at this point. The best we can do now is pray.

On a serious note, the eMac is a very dangerous computer to work on. Like the original iMac, it has a cathode ray tube like the old TVs. Even when unplugged, there are high voltage capacitors inside that hold a charge for days, it not weeks. We're talking thousands of volts here, and certainly enough to cause serious burns, or even death. This is not a machine that you want to be "playing around with".

This Youtube shows what's involved with changing the hard drive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQqwlk-Qf08

The hard drive is right by the nasty end of the cathode ray tube. One small slip with the screwdriver, or a hand, on the dozens of screws involved will make you a sure candidate for a Darwin award.

I would say there's a 95% chance the hard drive is already toast, since it's 13 years old (older than dog years). I wouldn't be risking my life to replace a hard drive on a piece of crap eMac, and neither should you.

Take this thing to the recycle center now. Please. No kidding.

If you want to play with an old Mac, go for one that does not have an integrated cathode ray tube monitor. If you're keen for frustration, you can try one of the lampshade iMacs with the LCD screen. The LCD screens don't have the dangerous voltages that the cathode ray tube models have, but are still completely user unfriendly.

For a more pleasant experience, go for a G3, G4 tower or desktop. Apple made these very easy for replacing common components, usually without the need for any tools. Just about any Mac computer that does not include a monitor will be easy to work on. There are few exceptions, but you probably won't kill yourself.

pm-r
Feb 17th, 2019, 04:02 PM
On a serious note, the eMac is a very dangerous computer to work on. Like the original iMac, it has a cathode ray tube like the old TVs.

I seriously hope the 0P takes serious heed of your comments and is fully aware of the dangers inside those machines, and one might want to add the power supply and different contact points that can also Zap one seriously.

Actually, I don't think many people even use them to make fishtanks with anymore!!! ;-)

- Patrick
======

polywog
Feb 18th, 2019, 07:16 AM
I seriously hope the 0P takes serious heed of your comments and is fully aware of the dangers inside those machines, and one might want to add the power supply and different contact points that can also Zap one seriously.

Actually, I don't think many people even use them to make fishtanks with anymore!!! ;-)

- Patrick
======

Even with the right tools, I was always petrified of working on CRTs despite proper training. One wrong move on a bad day and you're magic smoke.

macfalls
Feb 18th, 2019, 01:04 PM
oh boy.... i came back a little too late. i read up on them by grabbing an old apple repair manual (im guessing for the repair shops) and although it looked daunting and dangerous (which btw is my middle name lol) i took to the task of opening it up and seeing what i could find.... apparently near death !

actually things went well. i watched a youtube vid of a guy doing a hdd upgrade on his and he was clear to say only mess with the logic board side of the unit and NOT the CRT side. so i heeded that warning and was extremely careful. as in keeping a steady hand and if any screws fell, they were going to stay exactly where they landed. i'm not one of those guys that stupidly fishes around trying to get that one last screw and then touches that part and is on the 11 o'clock news.

i found the culprit, the capacitor next to the video connection had popped at the top. i'm not sure if it's the same capacitor(s) that the 700-800 series had issues with, but it was popped. the top of it looked split and peeled back of sorts like a jiffy pop tray. i called a local computer repair shop for shits and giggles to see if they could solder on a replacement and from the sounds of bubba and marv i took it they didn't have those kids of skills, and with me not having a proper work area and no replacement on hand didn't feel up to the task.

i just removed the hdd (which after some testing works perfectly !) and the ram and put it back together so i can drop off at a recycling depot. BUT, a local on kijiji posted one for free ! the same model and specs that they were happy to let me grab. so it worked out after all. i got another one plus have an extra 80GB hdd and 2GB of ram.

i know some were saying it's very dangerous, and it is no doubt. but following the video and the repair manual it made it very easy. it's like 7 screws and the logic board is off and you don't have to worry about touching the CRT. then you are free to mess around with relative safety. if you have messed with upgrading your mac towers or mac mini this really isn't that different aside from the CRT portion to get around. but DEFINITELY not for those who are not skilled.....

pm-r
Feb 18th, 2019, 01:45 PM
so i heeded that warning and was extremely careful. as in keeping a steady hand and if any screws fell, they were going to stay exactly where they landed

The trouble with that is there is a possibility that they can roll around and short something or below other components.

Good news and luck on your kijiji find.

When I did such work on those type of Macs I would borrow the discharge tool from my electronics friend. Even then my nerves would be shattered and it would sound like a small shotgun going off when discharging the big stuff.

But I'm too old and can't be bothered these days to fiddle with such old Macs, and there really isn't any real point or value in doing so AFAIC.
But then again, I never could see the point of climbing a mountain "just because it's there" either!!!

Anyway, enjoy your new found Old Mac.

- Patrick
======

macfalls
Feb 18th, 2019, 10:15 PM
thanks all for input and comments. help is always appreciated ! i'll consider this case close lol.