: is it safe to download fonts to computer

mcoltezo
Feb 9th, 2019, 01:05 PM
I am wondering how safe it is to download fonts that can be found on the internet for free. I'd like to add different looking fonts to some graphic designs I'm doing and I see lots of possibilities online. ....but are they safe?

thanks

pm-r
Feb 9th, 2019, 03:24 PM
I am wondering how safe it is to download fonts that can be found on the internet for free. I'd like to add different looking fonts to some graphic designs I'm doing and I see lots of possibilities online. ....but are they safe?

thanks

I guess that could depend on the site and its reputation but I have never had any problems with any that I have downloaded.

When installed for use, It may be best to keep them in your username folder:
/Users/username/Library/Fonts/

I believe they are still available for your use when installed there unless the latest Mac OS has changed that as well as some other things.

- Patrick
======

mcoltezo
Feb 9th, 2019, 07:05 PM
Thanks Patrick! And, I'm running an older OS (El Capitan) so possibly just fine.

Cheers!

eMacMan
Feb 9th, 2019, 09:38 PM
Only problem I have ever encountered is if the font kind is not compatible with the particular OS. If you place it as Patrick suggested it would be easy to boot into safe mode and remove a bad font.

eMacMan
Feb 10th, 2019, 01:30 PM
I see that in El Cap new fonts are automatically verified within FontBook. So anything that is not compatible should be spotted when you try to install it, if you use FontBook to do the install.

pm-r
Feb 10th, 2019, 07:09 PM
I see that in El Cap new fonts are automatically verified within FontBook. So anything that is not compatible should be spotted when you try to install it, if you use FontBook to do the install.

I thought that happened starting back in Mavericks time.

Anyway, it's still a good idea to use FontBook.app unless some font utility does the same thing, when installing or managing fonts.

I just wish Apple would get something better to deal with and manage fonts properly. Decent font use has been missing for ages, and they don't seem to help or support some of the third-party font manipulation software developers very much from what I've read.

- Patrick
======

wonderings
Feb 11th, 2019, 11:48 AM
a bad font can corrupt your whole system. That being said if you use font management software you should be ok.

A good site that is good for free fonts and demo fonts
www.dafont.com

I use FontExplorer Pro for my font management. If you are not looking to purchase software I am sure the built in Apple Font Book will serve you ok.

eMacMan
Feb 11th, 2019, 12:13 PM
a bad font can corrupt your whole system. That being said if you use font management software you should be ok.

A good site that is good for free fonts and demo fonts
www.dafont.com (http://www.dafont.com)

I use FontExplorer Pro for my font management. If you are not looking to purchase software I am sure the built in Apple Font Book will serve you ok.

True although removing it will usually resolve the problem. Still it's always good to have a tested bootable clone to allow for rapid recovery.

polywog
Feb 11th, 2019, 12:29 PM
Comic Sans is most certainly not safe to install. Or maybe it's not safe to use?

wonderings
Feb 11th, 2019, 12:35 PM
True although removing it will usually resolve the problem. Still it's always good to have a tested bootable clone to allow for rapid recovery.

In most cases. I had one that messed up the OS so bad I could not get or read anything. Thankfully had a time machine backup so just restored over lunch to the hour before I installed the font. That was the one and only time it has happened in my many years working in design and print.

pm-r
Feb 11th, 2019, 02:05 PM
Comic Sans is most certainly not safe to install. Or maybe it's not safe to use?

And then there are some just trying to be funny... :D