: Problem transferring OS 10.11 files/folders from old MBp to 2017 MBa

krs
Jan 14th, 2019, 12:26 PM
Now that I know the new 2017 MacBook Air will run El Capitan, I thought transferring everything from the old Mac to the new Mac would be easy and straight forward.

First problem I ran into was that there doesn't seem to be any way to link the two using hardware.
The old Mac has FW800 and USB 2.0 ports, the 2017 has only USB 3.0 ports.
There are no adapters/cables from FW400/800 to USB 3.0 as far as I know - at least not anything reasonably priced, and although USB 3.0 is backwards compatible with USB 2.0, the transfer doing it that way would run at USB 2.0 speeds and take forever,
The other option is via WiFi - I tried that years ago but the transfer was so slow that I gave up at that time.
However, lucky for me there was another way!
One of my backup drives had both FW800 and USB 3.0 ports, so I backed up the current old Mac using FW800 and then decided to use the USB 3.0 port on that backup to clone the backup to the new 2017 Mac.
Well, that did not work.
I could boot up with the 2017 Mac on the external connected via USB 3.0 but when I launched SuperDuper I got a message that I needed to mount the HD (on the 2017 Mac) but swhen I tried to do that via Disk Utility, the mount icon was dimmed out.
I could do everything else on the SSD drive on the 2017 Mac, but not mount it and I therefore could not just clone to the 2017 drive.
Normally with SD I would just select the drive I want to clone to, SD would erase any info on that drive and then copy to that drive.
I don't know why that was not possible - should have worked the way it always did.
Anyone have any ideas?

So now the plan is as follows:
1. Use Migration Assistant to move all the files/folders from the ElCapitan backup on my external via USB 3.0 to the 2017 MBa running 10.13. That is in progress now.
2. Use SD to make a backup of the 2017 MBa with all the folder/files to a USB 3.0 portable
3. Erase the drive on the 2017 MBa, (or maybe just run SD again and see if SD will see the 2017 drive)
4. Use SD to clone the ElCapitan backup from the external to the 2017 internal drive.

What I want to end up with is essentially just a hardware change from the old Mac to the new one - running exactly the same software and having all the applications available that I had on the old Mac.

krs
Jan 14th, 2019, 02:39 PM
Oh Boy - things are not going well with Migration Assistant.
The process completed properly - at least that is what the message said, but now I have all sorts of problems.

1. All the files and folders that were on the desktop are gone - all I see is the HD icon and the background.
Found threads about that on the net with no resolution so far I could find.
2. I checked contacts - no contacts in there except for Apple
3. Checked Mail - I had used Apple mail linked to my ISP on the old Mac - again no mail at all - I'm being asked to set up mail again with user name and password.

pm-r
Jan 14th, 2019, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the nightmare Apple has created.

You'll probably get there eventually if you have enough equipment, but don't forget to consider the wireless option that was offered, and you might want to rethink the story of the rabbit and the hare and compare it to the time you are currently wasting.

Also, remember that High Sierra and Mojave insist on a APFS formatted drive with any SSD to boot from. And I think that also applies to external SSD drives, but I'm not exactly sure. It's a confusing mess, especially for the average Mac User!!!

Good luck.

- Patrick
======

pm-r
Jan 14th, 2019, 07:46 PM
@krs
BTW: I was just thinking that you may want to join up and be a member at mac-forums where the members discuss Apple/Mac stuff and not sidetracked with political forum threads. You'll probably get much better Mac support and help over there, sorry to say.

Actually, there are quite a few ehmac.ca members over there already and a few vice-versa. Check it out:
https://www.mac-forums.com/

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be very much in the way of Mac help or support here at the ehmac.ca site any more lately.

Maybe see you there!!!

Sorry, I can't help more here, but I don't do much with the latest Mac OS versions and I am not up to date with some of their quirks and requirements.

But just maybe, somebody might come in and help here with your current problems.

- Patrick
======

krs
Jan 14th, 2019, 09:16 PM
Also, remember that High Sierra and Mojave insist on a APFS formatted drive with any SSD to boot from. And I think that also applies to external SSD drives, but I'm not exactly sure.
======

Hmmmm - I didn't know that.

krs
Jan 14th, 2019, 09:21 PM
@krs
BTW: I was just thinking that you may want to join up and be a member at mac-forums where the members discuss Apple/Mac stuff and not sidetracked with political forum threads. You'll probably get much better Mac support and help over there, sorry to say.
======

Thanks,

Sort of funny you mentioned that because I was just about to ask about the other Mac forum members migrated to.

Turns out I had already joined the other forum, probably years ago when people from here migrated.
But ehMac was always at the very top of my Mac bookmark folder so this was my first and usually only place I posted my comments and questions.

I started with the Mac back on OS 6 and have only used Windows in the office.
I think the Mac OS was pretty good until Snow Leopard - after that things just kept going downhill.

pm-r
Jan 14th, 2019, 11:23 PM
Sort of funny you mentioned that because I was just about to ask about the other Mac forum members migrated to.
... ... ...
I started with the Mac back on OS 6 and have only used Windows in the office.
I think the Mac OS was pretty good until Snow Leopard - after that things just kept going downhill.

You are certainly not the only Mac user who has mentioned that, and it seems to be getting louder and more often recently.

BTW: I thought this may be of interest and help to you:
HOW-TO
macOS High Sierra: Startup SSD volume must be APFS; other drives can wait
https://www.macworld.com/article/3230150/storage/macos-high-sierra-startup-ssd-volume-must-be-apfs-other-drives-can-wait.html

Might see you over at mac-forums, but hope you get your Mac problems sorted out soon.

- Patrick
======

krs
Jan 14th, 2019, 11:44 PM
HOW-TO
macOS High Sierra: Startup SSD volume must be APFS; other drives can wait
https://www.macworld.com/article/3230150/storage/macos-high-sierra-startup-ssd-volume-must-be-apfs-other-drives-can-wait.html

Might see you over at mac-forums, but hope you get your Mac problems sorted out soon.
======

So APFS is only required with High Sierra on an SSD volume.
I ended up erasing the pre-installed High Sierre OS on the 2017 MacBook Air and installed El Capitan from the most recent clone I had.

Hope that works OK

pm-r
Jan 15th, 2019, 12:29 AM
Hope that works OK

Good luck, and I see you got to mac-forums.

Jake and others there are much more up to date on the more recent macOS versions than I am. I don't need or use them and mainly use Mavericks 10.9.5.

I ended up erasing the pre-installed High Sierre OS on the 2017 MacBook Air and installed El Capitan from the most recent clone I had.

Or install it if you kept an installer copy, or maybe grab a copy from your App Store -> Purchases tab if you even did that previously. Then use migration assistant.

The clone should work as well as long as it was working well.

- Patrick
======

krs
Jan 15th, 2019, 12:12 PM
Or install it if you kept an installer copy, or maybe grab a copy from your App Store -> Purchases tab if you even did that previously. Then use migration assistant.

The clone should work as well as long as it was working well.
======

I wonder which way is better -
1. Using SuperDuper to clone to the new MBa, or
2. Install El Capitan on MBa and then used Migration Assistant.

I have done item 1 just now - one "problem" I encountered is that the mail passwords didn't get transferred - the mail password field on the 2017 is blank.

But I have used MA previously, years ago, and MA didn't transfer all the bits and pieces either. Even if I did the migration the first time the option comes up.

pm-r
Jan 15th, 2019, 02:03 PM
I wonder which way is better -
1. Using SuperDuper to clone to the new MBa, or
... ... ...
I have done item 1 just now -

Personally, I would have used Carbon Copy Cloner.app. It seems to pick up and include all those little detail bits better in my small experience with Super Duper.
I don't see any reason why you couldn't run CCC over your restored cloned clone. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't install the missing bits.

And no, migration assistant does not seem to migrate all the small bits and pieces and preferences in my experience.

- Patrick
======

krs
Jan 15th, 2019, 03:00 PM
I used to use CCC all the time, can't remember why I switched to SuperDuper.
Maybe CCC hadn't been upgraded to the latest OS I wanted to clone at the time....can't really remember.

I could do the whole exercise again with CCC - back up what I have on an external. the clone from the 2011 to an external and then from the external to the 2017 - maybe even try the WiFi option direct although from my previous experience that takes a very long time.
A clone right now from the 2011 to the external using FW800 takes about 3 1/2 hours.

pm-r
Jan 15th, 2019, 03:19 PM
A clone right now from the 2011 to the external using FW800 takes about 3 1/2 hours.

OK, so how fast can you type or enter all that data by hand???

I could do the whole exercise again with CCC - back up what I have on an external. the clone from the 2011 to an external and then from the external to the 2017
Why bother doing all that? Just run CCC using your SD backup clone and maybe overwrite the data or some of it at most. And maybe it will catch and add the missing bits that SD missed.

PS: CCC is free to use as a full working trial.

- Patrick
======

krs
Jan 15th, 2019, 03:56 PM
Why bother doing all that? Just run CCC using your SD backup clone and maybe overwrite the data or some of it at most. And maybe it will catch and add the missing bits that SD missed.

======

Well, if SD possibly missed some bits and pieces cloning from the external backup to the 2017 Mac, what makes you think it wouldn't have missed bits and pieces cloning from the 2011 Mac to the external in the first place?

pm-r
Jan 15th, 2019, 04:35 PM
Well, if SD possibly missed some bits and pieces cloning from the external backup to the 2017 Mac, what makes you think it wouldn't have missed bits and pieces cloning from the 2011 Mac to the external in the first place?

I'm just suggesting you try using Carbon Copy Cloner to do the same cloning you did when using SuperDuper, but hopefully, it will clone everything and not miss some bits as SuperDuper did.

You shouldn't have to start all over again, just use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone from cloned backup target to source, and just let it overwrite anything that is existing and hopefully add anything that was originally missed.

- Patrick
======