: Time Machine Restore / Migration Assistant help needed

TiltAgain
Dec 31st, 2018, 12:34 AM
iMac 27" Late 2013, macOS Mojave 10.14.2, with all updates done. I have two user accounts on this machine - mine and my wife's.

I have the issue of blank screen after logging out of the Guest Account (does not happen when logging out of any of the other two user accounts).

I also have another issue once the machine goes to sleep after logging out of any account. When I press any key to wake the machine so that I can log in, it takes a few presses of the key for the machine to wake up; and once it does, there's a quick blanking of the screen and it flicks back on.

Apple is unable to help with this issue and told me to do a clean install; hence the following question:

Let's say I do a Time Machine backup of the full system.

I then do a clean install of Mojave, and create a new dummy account so that I can use Migration Assistant to restore our old accounts and data.

Now, I do not wish to restore applications, I shall reinstall each individually. I only need to restore the data and emails and keychain passwords for both accounts.

The Migration Assistant info available online does not specifically address this question - if I choose to only restore the two users, will all the old emails be restored properly along with the accounts info and passwords and the POP/SMTP settings etc.? We are still old-fashioned and prefer POP3 to IMAP.

And will it also restore the keychains?

Thanks and cheers

pm-r
Dec 31st, 2018, 05:03 PM
#1, I would suggest not creating more work than you need to, especially considering your normal accounts all work and it's just the guest account that seems Goofy. Whoever bothers using that to do normal work, or why????

At most, I would suggest using the "Download macOS Mojave 10.14.2 Combo Update" and run it.

Do make sure you have a current, bootable backup before doing any major updates. Heck, you should always have one.

Happy New Year to All.

- Patrick
======

TiltAgain
Jan 1st, 2019, 12:59 AM
Thanks Patrick. I made a time Machine backup (not bootable unfortunately) and went ahead with the nuke and pave anyway. After restoring the time machine backup everything seems to be working fine now.

It was not just the guest account logout that was an issue - the significant issue was the second one about the machine not waking up instantly. That problem too has been resolved.

Cheers

pm-r
Jan 1st, 2019, 01:23 PM
Thanks Patrick. I made a time Machine backup (not bootable unfortunately) and went ahead with the nuke and pave anyway. After restoring the time machine backup everything seems to be working fine now.

Glad to hear things are working better again Tilt and a good way to start off the New Year.

BTW: A Time Machine backup should be bootable, but it can take a long time, but maybe that feature wasn't implemented until some OS X after Snow Leopard. I'd have to go googling I guess to check.

- Patrick
======

hexdiy
Jan 1st, 2019, 03:45 PM
A Time Machine backup in se is not bootable. Only if Time Machine backs up the Recovery partition wil you be able to boot from it.

Happy reading in the new year!

pm-r
Jan 1st, 2019, 08:33 PM
A Time Machine backup in se is not bootable. Only if Time Machine backs up the Recovery partition wil you be able to boot from it.

Happy reading in the new year!

What's "se"???

Regardless, another good reason to have and use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! that both support bootable ALL OS X version backups.

- Patrick
======

TiltAgain
Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:26 AM
What's "se"???

Regardless, another good reason to have and use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! that both support bootable ALL OS X version backups.

- Patrick
======

I read on Apple that Time Machine is not bootable.

I do have SuperDuper and that's what I started with; but since I was not sure about what to restore and what not (considering my original question about not wanting to restore the problem-causing settings) I decided to go with Time Machine instead!

Cheers

SINC
Jan 2nd, 2019, 04:17 AM
I have been using both Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner to back up my machines and my website for over a decade now.

I can assure you that TM is NOT bootable, thus my use of both methods of backup.

In my experience TM, however, does have one big advantage over CCC. That is, it tends not to drag any OS issues with it, that may have caused you to do a nuke and pave in the first place. I've found that CCC can bring back an issue to the same OS during a reinstall of an unstable or problem OS in some cases, while TM does not.

pm-r
Jan 2nd, 2019, 02:13 PM
I can assure you that TM is NOT bootable, thus my use of both methods of backup.

I don't use Time Machine but several sites explain about booting from a TM backup and it has been confirmed and discussed in several threads at https://www.mac-forums.com/forums/index.php

I was just relaying such experiences as posted by others but have no personal experience trying to do so,, and doing so may be dependent of several conditions.

- Patrick
======