: Alberta, the country.

FeXL
Dec 8th, 2018, 02:30 PM
For decades of my life there has been an undercurrent among Alberta's population for separation. It's like the tide: Depending on who is in Ottawa at the time, the swell comes & goes.

Living through PET's rape of Alberta in the 80's (NEP) made me a lifetime member of the "Albertan before Canada" club and, quite frankly, I have no memory of being a Canadian first. Perhaps as a wide-eyed youth. I honestly can't recall.

I do, however, have memories of the wave of Western separation that washed over many conversations, spawning such dreams as the Western Canada Concept political party, among others.

The Reform Party's efforts to make the West more relevant, with their "The West Wants In" slogan, was the most successful of the grass roots movements. However, it fell far short of what Alberta truly needs.

As much of a prick as Cretien was, he didn't seem to pick the separation scab much. Harper made things a bit easier to take but failed to deal with what westerners in general & Alberta in particular would term critical.

Now we have Jr., the airhead. A twice dropped out grad student, a snowboard instructor, a substitute dama teacher (I'd still like to find out what happened there...), a trust fund baby born with a silver spoon in his mouth who has never worked a day in his life.

The swell of separation is higher than I ever recall, largely due to The Dope's complete distain for Alberta (he learned well from his father) and at least partly because of Red Rachel. It's no longer just a few people talking loudly. It's many men & women quietly voicing their concern for the arrogance of the Laurentian Elite.

I ran across this post today (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2018/12/08/i-dont-want-my-country-back/) & there are a string of comments, including quotes from articles, that just struck a note today.

I'm tired of the central Canadian a$$holes pulling the puppet strings. I'm tired of our $12 billion transfer payments going to a province that refuses to develop its own resources & is content to receive gov't welfare. I'm tired of being told we can't build pipelines to move our petroleum product to world markets. I'm tired of leftist, Progressive group-think. I'm tired of having French on my cereal box. I'm tired of dysfunctional Kaybeck businesses receiving gov't welfare. I'm tired of being Canada's milch cow.

It's long overdue, my Alberta friends. It's time to grab the bull by the horns & get the hell out.

It's time to secede.

Rps
Dec 8th, 2018, 02:46 PM
You know I can see your angst here, but let me outline the case as I did for a Quebecer friend of mine...
1. No currency...you can’t use Canadian dollars
2. No shipping access for your products...although if you joined with B.C. you would have a stronger case
3. No Trade agreements...NAFTA, USMCA, TPP, or EU...you would be hit with the General Tarrif of 35% or so
4. No Post Office
5. Limited health care,
6 Limited to no Canada Pension
7. Limited Fire Department, Police, Schooling
8. No passports...you have to create your own and sign visa and access agreements
9. Fractured civil government
10. No external financing for infrastructure.
11. No oil subsidies....you still get them
12 No to limited provincial trade agreements
13. No border patrols , customs and excise etc...
14. Landlocked.

Now as I say if you, B.C. and say SK got together maybe.

FeXL
Dec 8th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Some quotes from the comments noted above:

Why stay? This is a serious question, and it deserves a serious answer — not vacuous platitudes and emotional rhetoric, but sober, solid, rational analysis addressing the economic, moral, cultural, and political advantages of staying. I do not believe a case for staying can be made. And whatever temporary dislocations would attend separation are negligible compared to what we risk by doing nothing, allowing ourselves to drift further into the morass of contemporary Canada.

We should undertake a move toward independence with a whole-hearted intention of achieving it, not as simply a tactic whereby to get (temporarily) a “better deal” from Ottawa (i.e., get some of our money back, provided as a sop to assuage “western alienation”). What Albertans have to understand is that the present Canadian reality is profoundly prejudicial to the interests of our children and grandchildren — economically, culturally, morally, politically — and that there is no realistic prospect of it ever getting better in their lifetime. Quite the contrary: there is every likelihood that it will only get worse, as Canada goes the degenerating way of Old Europe: stagnant, corrupt, spiritless, impotent.

Better still, use the $12 billion to reduce the taxes on Alberta’s citizens and businesses by that amount; let people spend their earnings as they please, and transform Alberta, already the most vibrant part of Canada, into the most attractive economic environment in all of North America. True, the population would double within 10 years, but Alberta is a big place, of almost unlimited potential. However, to realize that potential, we have to do one small thing: Declare our independence — withdraw from the Canadian federation, become an independent commonwealth with our own sovereign government, directly answerable to no one but the people of Alberta.

An independent Alberta would be every bit as politically and economically viable as Norway, Finland, Denmark, New Zealand and several other advanced countries of comparable population (but of far less natural resources).

Alberta could have had a Heritage fund of close to 1 Trillion dollars now but all the money is taxed away through various scams like Equalization and handed to Quebec and points east to buy votes for the ruling class in Ottawa.

Alberta needs to separate. Countless eastern PMs have savaged Alberta and denied its citizens for far too long now. It’s up to Alberta to make the move for a sovereign and distinct nation serving its own interests and prosperity... Alberta dies a little more daily under Trudeau.

It’s ironic that Alberta woild have better leverage with Ottawa by being outside of Canada. Without being hobbled by federal equalization, taxes, regulations and court rulings the ball and chain of asymmetrical confederation would be removed. Not just from energy but also agriculture.

No more egg and dairy marketing boards. No more made in Ottawa regulatory barriers. The opportunity to negotiate its own trade deals. Significantly lower energy prices, lower income/corporate taxes and a shorter, more transparent permitting process would spur investment and higher per capita income. Alberta’s was already the highest in Canada and one of the highest in the world at over $59,000, which was between Norway and Switzerland in 2016. The Canadian average was quite a few pegs down at about $42,000 (conference board of Canada). Alberta is also the highest per capita contributor to the federal treasury in Ottawa and gets the least per capita transfers from Ottawa. All that money currently going to Ottawa would stay in Alberta.

More money, more freedom, less abusive bullshit — what’s the incentive to stay in Canada? Learn from the errors of Brexit though. Make a cleaner , quicker break.

Letting Alberta walk away would remove whatever ability Ottawa still had to pay its debts. The Canadian dollar would go to zero, wiping out the mortgage debt of all Ca[n]adians.

All emphasis mine.

Rps
Dec 8th, 2018, 02:53 PM
FeXL, you can post all the rants you want, and I do see your point here, until you answer question number 1, which my Quebec friend couldn’t answer either, you are going nowhere.

Macfury
Dec 8th, 2018, 03:10 PM
1. No currency...you can’t use Canadian dollars.
Yes, you can use Canadian dollars or American dollars if you choose. However, you will have minimal effect on monetary policy until you develop your own currency. The EU countries have minimal control over monetary policy, but use the Euro.

2. No shipping access for your products...although if you joined with B.C. you would have a stronger case.
They don't have access now. Separation won't make it worse and would probably make it better regarding US access. However, they would still use roads, rail and all other forms of transportation.

3. No Trade agreements...NAFTA, USMCA, TPP, or EU...you would be hit with the General Tarrif of 35% or so.
So negotiate a trade agreement.

4. No Post Office.
Bonus! Post offices are a dying business, but you would still be able to deliver mail within your province. How is that impossible?

5. Limited health care,
Why? Equalization money now stays in Alberta. Better health care.

6 Limited to no Canada Pension.
The Pensions belong to individuals, not the province. Set up your own system.

7. Limited Fire Department, Police, Schooling.
What are you smoking RPS? These are local matters.

8. No passports...you have to create your own and sign visa and access agreements.
OK.

9. Fractured civil government.
Why?

No financing of external infrastructure by Alberta. It's a wash.

11. No oil subsidies....you still get them.
I'll bite. How much do they total?

Canada still doesn't allow free trade across its own provincial borders.

Create them.

14. Landlocked.
Because BC shippers would refuse to ship Alberta goods? Why?

FeXL
Dec 8th, 2018, 03:19 PM
You know I can see your angst here, but let me outline the case as I did for a Quebecer friend of mine...
1. No currency...you can’t use Canadian dollars
2. No shipping access for your products...although if you joined with B.C. you would have a stronger case
3. No Trade agreements...NAFTA, USMCA, TPP, or EU...you would be hit with the General Tarrif of 35% or so
4. No Post Office
5. Limited health care,
6 Limited to no Canada Pension
7. Limited Fire Department, Police, Schooling
8. No passports...you have to create your own and sign visa and access agreements
9. Fractured civil government
11. No oil subsidies....you still get them
14. Landlocked.

Now as I say if you, B.C. and say SK got together maybe.

I've prepared a few lists of my own for Kaybeck separatists.

As to yours:
1: Who cares? Don't want a seat on the BoC like PQ does, either. In a matter of a few short years, the Canuck buck will be worthless because, without Alberta's revenues rolling into Ottawa, they won't be able to pay their bills.
2: Shipping access would be negotiated PDQ once the RoC found out that anything that crossed our borders (air & land) would be subject to massive taxations.
3: Who cares? We have enough resources to be able to negotiate terms of our own.
4: So what? A private owned/operated postal service would not only run more efficiently, but cheaper, as well.
5: Why? We're already paying for a large portion of our healthcare ourselves. Imagine how much health care $12 billion/year buys.
6: Who cares? It's practically worthless anyways. Again, we could design our own.
7: Why? Save money & raise efficiency by privatizing them.
8: No worries. I'd be burning mine over incense anyways.
9: As opposed to the fractured federal gov't? What could possibly get worse?
10: Oh, you mean like for pipelines? (/sarc)
11: Yeah, those massive <snort> oil subsidies on fewer & fewer barrels of oil that we're actually allowed to ship. Once again, if we're not sending $12 billion/yr to Ottawa, they can keep their f'ing oil subsidies.
12: Who cares? We'll negotiate our own international ones.
13: Like any independent country, we'd create our own.
14: We're landlocked now, FFS!

Further:
1: Don't want the armed forces.
2: We'll pay out our share of the national debt in exchange for any/all pension monies contributed.
3: All First Immigrants who want to remain with the RoC are more than welcome to their land, with the acknowledgement that they will be surrounded by an international border.

That's a start.

Is it going to be easy? Not a chance. It's going to take good, ol' fashioned head down & ass up work. However, that's nothing that those of us who were born & raised here aren't used to already.

As far as BC & SK are concerned, I'm not interested in doing this for them. This is entirely selfish and for and on Alberta's terms alone. Period.

That said, if others want to join us, I'd be happy to sit down & talk with them.

Once again, no way in hell the lower mainland joins us voluntarily. Diametrically opposed. Frankly, I ain't interested in having them along for the ride anyways. They are part of the problem, not part of the solution. The last GD thing I want to do is invite to the party the same idjits who are already blocking access to tidewater.

FeXL
Dec 8th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Now, Rps, I hav a question for you, from my first quote:

Why stay?

Rps
Dec 9th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Now, Rps, I hav a question for you, from my first quote:

Why stay?

It’s called security in numbers and economy of scale. That said, as I have mentioned before, the West should start it’s own national party and run against the Libs or Con. The Reform Party worked but forgot their mandate.......

eMacMan
Dec 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM
I see a huge obstacle being CPP and OAS. Far too many seniors would be out of house and home without these supplements to their retirement income. Quebec is in far better shape in this area having long since established their own version of CPP.

Another is the new nation would be easy pickins for the US of A and the lure of statehood. Having dealt with health care in that nation, that is a road I do not wish to travel. Also if you think Albertans feel cut off from Ottawa, that's nothing compared to what it would be like dealing with the District of Corruption.

I do agree that a solid independence movement is vital as without it the province will continue to be victimized by Ottawa.

Macfury
Dec 9th, 2018, 11:18 AM
I don't think Alberta's "numbers" are being given security. The rest of the population seems to be working actively against its interests.

I also don't see how "economy of scale" applies here.

It’s called security in numbers and economy of scale. That said, as I have mentioned before, the West should start it’s own national party and run against the Libs or Con. The Reform Party worked but forgot their mandate.......

FeXL
Dec 9th, 2018, 01:09 PM
It’s called security in numbers and economy of scale.

Neither of those sound like concrete reasons to me. Feel free to elaborate.

That said, as I have mentioned before, the West should start it’s own national party and run against the Libs or Con. The Reform Party worked but forgot their mandate.......

Tried. Failed. Ain't worth wasting time/resources doing it again.

And it won't work because we simply do not have the nationwide support we need. If we did, we wouldn't need to be heading down this road now.

As to the Reform Party, it did not work. If it had, again, we wouldn't be sitting here where we are today.

We have two options: Reach for the lube or reach for the pitchfork.

Frankly, I'm tired of the lube...

Rps
Dec 9th, 2018, 01:30 PM
FeXL, the Reform didn’t fail.......they changed. The West, meaning B.C., Ab., Sk. And Mb have about 104 Federal seats. If a West Party got the the majority they would have considerable influence on the Canadian government...much like Quebec when it is in its separatist rants. The key is not to try and be a National Party, but be a Local Party running in a national election. Reforms mistake was trying to be a national party...

FeXL
Dec 9th, 2018, 03:46 PM
FeXL, the Reform didn’t fail.......they changed.

They failed because they changed. They abandoned their original mandate & forgot who & what put them there. Same with Alberta's Wildrose Party. Any way you measure that it's a complete & utter failure.

Period.

The West, meaning B.C., Ab., Sk. And Mb have about 104 Federal seats. If a West Party got the the majority they would have considerable influence on the Canadian government...

In response to your observation about a potential 104 seats I was going to say you'd be lucky to get 60. Just checked Wiki, Reform got 52 seats in '93 and 60 in '97. And, in '97 they never took a seat east of Manitoba. That's a far cry from your 104...

That said, I don't care about the Canadian gov't. No matter what the shape, form, stripe, smell, colour, whatever, I've had it with the bastards. The only influence I want to leave with them is the dust settling on the road as Alberta leaves confederation.

I'm tired of negotiating for the f'ing table scraps while the central, eastern & coastal areas get fine wine & caviar, on my tax dollar, no less! I'm well past "negotiations" which, in western Canada, is politispeak for BOHICA. In addition, I'm sure as hell not interested in teaming up with the f'ing NDP to overthrow a minority gov't.

The only way you get what you want here in the west is with a majority and only if the leader of said party isn't some effete, wet noodle, milksop idiot.

And, and, even if I was interested in said negotiations, there's no way in hell you get all 104 seats voting the same way in the first place! Do you honestly believe that a voter from the east end of Burrard St. in Hongcouver has a scintilla of political common ground with Kevin the dirt rancher from Manyberries, AB? Or a Sherwood Park Prog with the Rama, SK cemetery caretaker? Or the curator from the fossil museum in Morden, MB with some stoner on Gabriola Island, BC?

HA!

FeXL
Dec 9th, 2018, 04:06 PM
A few more quotes & resources.

Here’s some trivia (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2018/12/08/i-dont-want-my-country-back/#comment-1165755): if Alberta and Saskatchewan separated and formed a new country, it would be bigger than the combined area of Germany, France and the UK. And bigger than Ontario. (Wiki)

The GDP per capita of Alberta alone and a combined AL-Sask is higher than every OECD country except Luxembourg and Norway.

A separate country would be big, wealthy and rich in natural resources (oil, natgas, uranuim, grain, oilseeds, livestock, potash, lumber, legumes, maybe even diamonds etc.) to export.

Bold mine.

The article in the following link addresses points made by a NatPo writer in an article written earlier this year on why Alberta shouldn't leave. I don't agree with everything he says but most of the article makes sense.

The responder seems to couch his argument for secession in terms of joining the US. For the record, I ain't interested in becoming the 51st state.

Alberta Separation Is A Great Idea (http://www.poletical.com/alberta-separatism.php)

This accusation/response I found most interesting & is a position I find myself agreeing with almost entirely:

He suggests Alberta would have to pay $71 billion in order to pick up our share of the national debt!

Alberta has paid more into Canada than it has gotten back in federal expenditures to the tune of almost $221.4 billion between 2007 to 2015. Canada can pay us the difference upon our exit and we can just forget about all the other money leading up to 2007. Fair?

Bold mine.

The almost part comes in when the Feds start dickering about nickels & dimes & we start talking real loud-like about the differential prior to 2007...

The next link is to a pdf file containing a report/template by the above writer on how to create a nation of Western Canada (which includes BC, AB, SK, MB). Again, I don't agree with everything but I found it interesting brain food:

A Better Way (https://thepoliteseparatist.com/a-better-way/)

CubaMark
Dec 16th, 2018, 10:04 PM
...and is Alberta, the country, prepared to deal with the environmental disaster that the oil & gas industry has and is leaving behind?

The story of Alberta’s $100-billion well liability problem. How did we get here? (https://thenarwhal.ca/the-story-of-albertas-100-billion-well-liability-problem-how-did-we-get-here/)

Landowners once promised a fair share for hosting oil and gas infrastructure on their properties say Alberta’s liability management system is broken. They're worried the regulator has long been propping up the industry by exaggerating profits and underestimating the costs of cleanup — often leaving landowners with a tangled mess of wells, rusty pipes and contaminated soil.

the government — and the Alberta Energy Regulator in particular — is not only struggling to deal with Alberta’s long-standing well issue, but that the organization is propping up a beleaguered industry without requiring the necessary assurances that wells will be cleaned up in the future.

Critics worry that not only are orphan wells already sitting neglected in farmers’ fields across the province, but that a whole new wave of inactive wells are poised to be thrust onto the Orphan Well Association — and that, increasingly, taxpayers may be forced to shoulder the bill.

It has been estimated that at the current rate of spending, it would take 177 years to clean up the province’s inactive, suspended, abandoned and orphan wells.
(The Narwhal (https://thenarwhal.ca/the-story-of-albertas-100-billion-well-liability-problem-how-did-we-get-here/))

Macfury
Dec 16th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Assuming we take "The Narwhal" at its word, how do you see this affecting any such decision to separate?

...and is Alberta, the country, prepared to deal with the environmental disaster that the oil & gas industry has and is leaving behind?

The story of Alberta’s $100-billion well liability problem. How did we get here? (https://thenarwhal.ca/the-story-of-albertas-100-billion-well-liability-problem-how-did-we-get-here/)

Landowners once promised a fair share for hosting oil and gas infrastructure on their properties say Alberta’s liability management system is broken. They're worried the regulator has long been propping up the industry by exaggerating profits and underestimating the costs of cleanup — often leaving landowners with a tangled mess of wells, rusty pipes and contaminated soil.

the government — and the Alberta Energy Regulator in particular — is not only struggling to deal with Alberta’s long-standing well issue, but that the organization is propping up a beleaguered industry without requiring the necessary assurances that wells will be cleaned up in the future.

Critics worry that not only are orphan wells already sitting neglected in farmers’ fields across the province, but that a whole new wave of inactive wells are poised to be thrust onto the Orphan Well Association — and that, increasingly, taxpayers may be forced to shoulder the bill.

It has been estimated that at the current rate of spending, it would take 177 years to clean up the province’s inactive, suspended, abandoned and orphan wells.
(The Narwhal (https://thenarwhal.ca/the-story-of-albertas-100-billion-well-liability-problem-how-did-we-get-here/))

SINC
Dec 17th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Why leaving Canada makes sense for Alberta, and U.S. would likely welcome a new state

'Right now, every man, woman and child in Alberta pay $6,000 more into the national budget than they get back. Alberta is the only province that is a net contributor'.

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/why-leaving-canada-makes-sense-for-alberta-and-u-s-would-likely-welcome-a-new-state?fbclid=IwAR0705-kQb8ExmvnXtGHoD8o49J7Ejsk8PTX8iBRTyaFAZ43tnSw8w4pY Os

FeXL
Dec 17th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Assuming we take "The Narwhal" at its word, how do you see this affecting any such decision to separate?

Precisely.

If the "problem" actually exists, then we'll have it either with or without the RoC. If the latter, then the $12 billion/yr we send to Ottawa en route to Kaybeck would pay that down in a matter of years.

The math is left as an exercise for the Progs...

eMacMan
Dec 17th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Why leaving Canada makes sense for Alberta, and U.S. would likely welcome a new state

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/why-leaving-canada-makes-sense-for-alberta-and-u-s-would-likely-welcome-a-new-state?fbclid=IwAR0705-kQb8ExmvnXtGHoD8o49J7Ejsk8PTX8iBRTyaFAZ43tnSw8w4pY Os

Having experience with both US Medicare and the Canadian system, I can assure you the US system is orders of magnitude worse than Canada's. Also I gave up my US citizenship for very solid reasons and you could not pay me enough to re-instate it. Nor do I ever again want to see a 1040 or any other IRS form, in this or any other life.

Alberta remains landlocked and therefore vulnerable should it strike out on its own. To me the threat of being part of the USA is the biggest argument against independence.

FeXL
Dec 17th, 2018, 08:47 PM
I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2018/12/17/i-want-a-new-country-2/)

How long has this been going on for now? 40 years?

As concern grows among workers and politicians over Alberta’s embattled energy sector, a massive rally got underway in the city of Grande Prairie, Alta., to support the resource industry and to call for pipelines to be built.

Sure. Things are bound to turn around any day now.

More:

“We aren’t just a monumental cash cow for the government. We provide opportunities for families across the country,” Bernard Hancock, known as Bernard the Roughneck, told the crowd at a park in Grande Prairie, Alta., on Sunday.

“It puts chicken in the pot in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. It puts a roast in the oven in Miramichi, New Brunswick. It puts tortiere on the fork in Granby, Quebec. And it puts tofu on the table in Toronto and Vancouver!”

Bold mine.

From the 2nd link:

‘We are not at war with Alberta’: Quebec stands firm against pipeline (https://globalnews.ca/news/4755410/we-are-not-at-war-with-alberta-quebec-stands-firm-against-pipeline/)

There is a growing conflict developing between Alberta and Quebec. Last week, Premier François Legault sparked outrage when he called Alberta oil “dirty energy.”

Alberta Premier Rachel Notley has accused Quebec of hypocrisy for accepting equalization payments from oil revenue.

More:

“Yes, I heard it created quite a storm in Alberta,” said Justice Minister Sonia LeBel. “We are not at war with Alberta. We always have good relationships with Alberta (and) we intend to continue that way.”

Bold mine.

Bull$h!t and up yours...

Macfury
Dec 17th, 2018, 10:23 PM
Legault is only repeating what Notley has already been saying. Too late for her to overturn the narrative now.

SINC
Dec 18th, 2018, 11:38 AM
And so it continues:

Talks of Alberta separating from Canada grow

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/talks-of-alberta-separating-from-canada-grow-1.4220518

FeXL
Dec 18th, 2018, 12:06 PM
And so it continues:

Talks of Alberta separating from Canada grow

I don't know who political scientist Duane Bratt is, but he don't have a clew. The pipeline issue is the straw that broke the camel's back. There are economic issues which stretch back decades.

Beej
Dec 18th, 2018, 09:46 PM
I don't know who political scientist Duane Bratt is, but he don't have a clew. The pipeline issue is the straw that broke the camel's back. There are economic issues which stretch back decades.

$20 billion goes a long way to smoothing over problems with being a small landlocked nation. If this conversation continues, more Albertans will get a better idea of the costs, and it will stun them.

It's in the neighbourhood of $5k per person. $15,000 per year for a family of three. That's net, after subtracting what the federal government spends in Alberta.

The case for Alberta being in the federation is weak and many politicians in Ottawa and other provinces don't seem to get that. Canada losing Alberta would be an idiotic "own goal" to be studied for the ages.

FeXL
Dec 26th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Galt Oil, Inc. (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2018/12/26/galt-oil-inc-3/#comments)

“There is no work here. And it’s not because there’s no oil here. It’s because you are systematically – the province and the federal government – destroying this industry.”

From the comments:

The enemies of Alberta, and our industries, are heavily populated with folks who have an intense disdain for anyone who does well on the basis of “dirty” work. “Coarse” industry should never be a wellspring of wealth. Oh, it’s perfectly acceptable to become wealthy by owning such enterprises, or shares in them. As long as one is educated and earns the bulk of one’s living by more noble means, such as education, or medicine, or law. But, it’s another thing entirely to actually become wealthy by dint of skill or the taking on risks associated with scratching at the earth. It’s not just the energy industry, either.
They recoil at the idea of a welder building steel girders for a highway bridge earning as much as a lawyer or an accountant. They regularly look down their noses at the purchase/lease of a $700,000 combine as some kind of exercise in ego-stroking, or ranching as basically “watching cattle **** and eat grass”, never grasping that the guy running that combine has to put several million dollars worth of barley and canola through it just to break even, or that the rancher might be running two or three million dollars worth of cattle, upon which he makes a nice living, fraught as it is with risk.
I once stood in line at the Subway, right behind two doctors. I happen to know that both are big Liberal supporters here in Red Deer. They were discussing the fact that a guy who owns five local car dealerships- he started out as a salesman at a GM store- was building a big hacienda out in a rural subdivision where the two doctors had new places. I heard a line that will long stick with me, largely because I know these two guys will be Liberals til they die.
One asked the other “Who does this used car salesman think he is building a place out there with us?”
This is a guy who employs several hundred people directly. His dealerships EACH pay in the neighborhood of a quarter million a year just in property taxes (That number could easily be way low. It’s not high.). Add payroll taxes, and GST, plus all the people employed building the cars he sells, plus those employed in advertising his stores, and so forth.
But the Liberal doctors were insulted by the fact that this rather coarse merchant was living among them. That strain of thought runs through the intelligentsia who are the backbone of modern liberalism. Wealth is not for those for whom toil is coarse in nature. Nor are the venues of public policy. Those who engage in coarse ventures can only coarsen the debate, and by extension, coarsen public policy.
We can’t be having any of that now, can we.

Also:

My thoughts:
1. Vote out Nutley
2. Vote to renegotiate equalization.
3. Wean Alberta off RCMP. Set up Alberta pension plan instead of CPP. Disconnect ourselves from as many federal programs as possible. Set up dual income tax like Quebec.
4. Stop BC wine and BC “sewage” fish being sold in Alberta.
5. Opt out of supply management of dairy. Use the not withstanding clause.
6. Harass or even stop BC and Quebec goods from passing through Alberta. Really thorough safety inspections of vehicles, trains, and their contents. Etc
7. Apply a carbon tax on all oil products going to BC. $5 a litre might get their attention. It would be a pilot project.

I am so angry that I now really see Alberta separating.

And:

“I am so angry that I now really see Alberta separating.”
As a resident of B.C. I agree with you 100%.
I hope the price of gas in BC goes to 5 bucks a liter.I buy ALMOST all my gas and diesel for our cars and truck in the US as well as much of my discretionary purchases from the US. A large portion of the goods purchased in Canada comes from China thru the port of Vancouver. Charge $8000 for every railcar that comes through Alberta from B.C. And DON’T stop until the first drop of oil flows through an expanded Trans Mountain pipeline. And tax every railcar going to Quebec UNTIL the Energy East pipeline starts carry Alberta oil to the east coast.
The wine embargo was a good start and got the attention of B.C. Unfortunately Notly folded WAY to soon.

FeXL
Dec 27th, 2018, 11:49 AM
I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2018/12/23/i-want-a-new-country-3/#comments)

If you’re still wondering…

… why oil-rich Alberta doesn’t have a massive sovereign wealth fund like Norway, consider this.

Alberta is a province, not a country. Ergo, we don’t get to keep all the wealth we generate in this province. Not even close.

I realize this runs counter to the preferred narrative in Canada, where politicians and media types insist Alberta either “put all its eggs in one basket” by failing to diversify its economy (hello Christy Clark), or that Albertans “spent like drunken sailors” during boom times.

Sure, there’s some truth to those arguments. But the far bigger reason why Alberta isn’t rolling in filthy lucre is that we are part of a federation called Canada.

FeXL
Jan 3rd, 2019, 04:42 PM
Truckers For Pipelines (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/01/03/truckers-for-pipelines-2/)

Calgary Herald;

Organizers of a truck convoy to Ottawa to pressure the federal government to fast-track pipeline construction say the effort is snowballing.

Proponents of pushing hundreds of trucks and other vehicles to Parliament Hill in February say a GoFundMe page and a recruitment effort are swelling the effect of the so-called Yellow Vest protest that’s expected to embark from Red Deer on Feb. 15.

[…]

Several protest convoys of hundreds of vehicles have already trundled through Alberta venting anger over legal and political roadblocks facing the Trans Mountain and Energy East pipeline expansions.

Organizers of the Convoy to Ottawa effort say they’ll harness that momentum and emotion for the countrywide trek that is expected to end with a rally on Parliament Hill sometime between Feb. 19 and 23.

A “rally”? Fill the streets, park them and walk. Turn that city into a parking lot.

Bold mine.

Nails it.

Comments very salient.

FeXL
Jan 14th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Very interesting article linked, including a bit of history about the breakup of the Northwest Territories into AB & SK I was unaware of.

I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/01/12/i-want-a-new-country-4/)

The author lists 2 ideas:

1. Saskatchewan and Alberta indicate to the federal government the desire to immediately enter into negotiations to take over responsibility for the collection of all taxes, both provincial and federal. This is the same deal Quebec has long had and is the first step to taking both responsibility and accountability for our own affairs. This way we begin to more closely control the level of taxes that are submitted to the federal treasury from our two provinces.

He fills out the details further.

And:

2. Saskatchewan and Alberta form an expert council to immediately develop terms of reference to enter into joint discussions on a suitable path forward as equals. No options will go unexplored and will include but not be limited to;
A. The merger of the two provinces as equals as was the original intent in the formation of Buffalo.
B. Exploration of admission into the United States of America as the 51st State.
C. The formation of a new sovereign nation, independent of either Canada or the USA.
D. The exploration of a joining together with British Columbia, Manitoba and the 3 Canadian Territories to form an independent nation.
E. A new deal presented to the rest of Canada that allows the confederation of Canada to remain intact geographically while enhancing our own power and control over our own affairs to our own satisfaction. This would imply significant changes to equalization, resource extraction and mobility and a much greater share in control over the judiciary and policy of Canada.

A is interesting but doesn't go far enough.
B is a non-starter. What happens if somebody like Bill's Wife <shudder> gets elected? Out of the frying pan & into the fire.
C is by far the most preferred & only option.
D doesn't work because of BC. There is also an interesting comment by Chris Couture at the linked article that discusses further issues.
E is a non-starter, too.

Lengthy, but worthwhile comments at first link, especially one (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/01/12/i-want-a-new-country-4/#comment-1173766) & two (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/01/12/i-want-a-new-country-4/#comment-1173775) that could be used as a partial template.

FeXL
Jan 30th, 2019, 03:04 PM
Six hundred and eleven billion reasons why Alberta should tell the Laurentian Elite to shove it.

Canadians have taken Alberta for granted. That’s dangerous for us all (https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/jack-mintz-canadians-have-taken-alberta-for-granted-thats-dangerous-for-us-all)

Six-hundred and eleven billion dollars and counting. That is how much Albertans have paid to the rest of Canada in net federal fiscal transfers from 1961 to 2017 — that is, federal taxes paid by Albertans net of federal spending in Alberta (all numbers in 2017 dollars).

In a presentation last week in Calgary, Tim Hearn and Robert Mansell of the University of Calgary’s School of Public Policy also noted that in just the past eight years alone, since 2010, Albertans have paid $180 billion in net fiscal transfers, more than any other province.

Just think about that. In 57 years, Albertans have paid almost as much in transfers to the rest of the country as the total of our entire federal debt today. It’s a transfer averaging $3,674 per Albertan every year. Over 57 years, it totals $209,418 per Albertan.

Bold mine.

I want my cheque, fukcers... :mad::ptptptptp

FeXL
Feb 4th, 2019, 11:46 AM
Nope.

Alberta: Our 51st state? (https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2019/01/alberta_our_51st_state.html)

Alberta as our 51st state is not as far-fetched as it sounds at first blush. The idea was written about by Peter Zeihan in Accidental Superpower (2014) and recently broached by Holman Jenkins, Jr. in no less than the Wall Street Journal. Before diving into the politics and practicality of a Alberta leaving Canada, let's first review some background to see why such a traumatic event could even be considered.

While it's an interesting take, I ain't interested.

The author notes:

Landlocked as it is, Alberta could not make it as an independent country.

I disagree. The potential of every vehicle (including passenger cars) & every piece of freight crossing our border (land & air) getting hit with users fees & tariffs puts us in a very strong bargaining position. And, we will still have access to US markets & their transportation system, just like we currently do.

FeXL
Feb 9th, 2019, 08:52 PM
Canadians in the west, more than those in the east, say Ottawa does not treat them fairly: poll (https://globalnews.ca/news/4904460/canadians-western-provinces-ottawa-poll/)

Nearly three out of four Canadians living west of Ontario believe their province is not treated fairly by the federal government, according to a new poll from the not-for-profit Angus Reid Institute.

And Westerners who feel that way — that the rest of the country is not giving them any respect — say it’s been getting worse in recent years.

Going to the poll results, I see that Kaybeck has a 47%/53% agree/disagree response. I'm stunned to learn that 53% disagree with the question. WTF more do they want?

And, I find the observation that BC'ers identify more with Washington state than any other province. You can tell precisely where the polling was conducted: the lower mainland. I can assure you that people living in Fernie, Fort St. John & Williams Lake sure as hell don't...

Related:

A Western Canada party once worked to win a place in Ottawa. Today, voters might back another: poll (https://globalnews.ca/news/4925521/western-canada-party-angus-reid-poll/)

Western Canadians are still dissatisfied with the federal government — perhaps more than the 1980s, according to a series of polls from the Vancouver-based Angus Reid Institute that looks at the West’s place in Confederation. Angus Reid last week reported that nearly three out of four Canadians who live west of Ontario don’t feel the feds treat their province fairly, and that the feeling has grown worse in recent years.

Now, another Angus Reid Institute poll has found that, were another prospective “Western Canada Party” to start up in the coming federal election, it would have a stronger chance at drawing votes in every western province save for Manitoba — although the margin wasn’t very wide in one place.

Related, too:

50% of Albertans see separation as a real possibility, Western Canada Party dominates poll (https://www.thepostmillennial.com/50-of-albertans-see-separation-as-a-real-possibility-western-canada-party-dominates-poll/)

Western Canadian sentiments in regards to national unity appear to have hit a new low since the election of Justin Trudeau.

According to a new poll by Angus Reid, the animosity has gotten to a point where a majority of Albertans support separation as a real possibility. Enough Western Canadians would also support a Western Canada Party, if ever formed and the poll indicated that such a party could gain a notable number of seats.

The institute found that when they averaged support for the idea across all western provinces (BC, AB, SK, MB), the Western Canada Party actually came out ahead, with 35%, followed only by the Conservatives who brought in 29%.

More:

If allowed to fester, Ottawa could face separatism from not just one province, but up to four provinces which are mobilized largely against his leadership.

That number could even spike to potentially five if Quebec nationalists (many who current work within the provincial CAQ) see opportunity in the ensuing chaos.

Bring it.

FeXL
Mar 11th, 2019, 09:07 PM
Posting a comment from SDA (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/03/02/like-a-torpedo-through-a-castle-of-glass/#comment-1186894).

All of Canada’s media is controlled by the state now. The RCMP answers directly to the PMO. He controls all the levers and buttons. All the Provincial Premiers are Servile running dogs, who lick his hand. The unelected Head of State is appointed by the PM. Every position of importance is appointed or controlled by the PM in Canada.
That is how crooked the Canadian System really is and has become. Even the Black Robed Priests come when he crooks his finger.
There is a long way out if you want to stay in Canada. You have to elect a strong Provincial Premier that serves only the citizens of their Province.
The Province has to have a Provincial Constitution enshrining the section of the BNA that divides the powers in Canada between the Provinces and Ottawa. Section 45 of the BNA provides this power.
The Premier has to have a mandate from the people, an undated signed check from the Provincial Citizens called a UDI a Universal Declaration of Independence as a hammer.
And every time Ottawa encroaches the Premier picks up the hammer. The other option which I think is the only way is for the citizens of Alberta to hold a binding referendum granting their Leader the UDI and use it immediately. Create a new country a Republic called Alberta. The UDI immediately removes the Province from all jurisdiction by Ottawa and the Courts. It ends all control by Ottawa inside the Provincial Borders of Alberta with one stroke. The will of the majority of Alberta’s 4m citizens then can not be ignored. They will have democratically spoken.
Canada is still a Confederation of Sovereign states (Provinces) it is not a unitary Federation. The Premier of a Province is the First Minister of the Crown in that Province with equal power to the Prime Minister of Ottawa within the BNA.
Each Province has a Parliament and a Supreme Court. The system is already in place in each Province because Canada is a Confederation.
The original 13 Colonies in the USA were Provinces until they Declared UDI. The Provinces were each Individual Colonies of Great Britain complete with a Governor of each Province who answered directly to the British Crown, that Governor is still in each Province in the Office of Lt. Gov. Each Province still has it’s own Head of State. When these colonies united in 1867, they became the United Colonies of Canada. The Provinces in effect merely exchanged colonial status with Great Britain for Colonial Status under Ottawa.

Interesting read.

Macfury
Mar 11th, 2019, 09:38 PM
Posting a comment from SDA (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/03/02/like-a-torpedo-through-a-castle-of-glass/#comment-1186894).

Interesting read.

Notley rolled over and played dead for Justin.

SINC
Mar 11th, 2019, 09:42 PM

Well, not much of a move by Notley when Turdeau has been dead from the butt up since birth and rising much higher since 2015.

FeXL
Mar 11th, 2019, 11:53 PM

What I'm having difficulty reconciling is whether she was just being stupid when she traded the carbon tax for an alleged pipeline or if she honestly believed Justa Turd was going to produce. :confused:

FeXL
Mar 17th, 2019, 01:05 PM
The same will be required to get beyond the issues today.

Building energy and the west required iron will and stoic discipline (https://boereport.com/2019/03/11/building-energy-and-the-west-required-iron-willed-and-stoic-discipline/)

The most glaring and disheartening variable that we cannot change at present is the overarching policies set by those for whom misguided UN-dictates are more important than national governance. Our current federal leadership is, frankly, an inbred, ignorant, self-centered national disaster. But even if Trudeau & Co. disappear, the problem remains to some extent. Power centers like Ottawa or Washington develop their own ecosystems, and attention goes where the votes are. From Ottawa, that primary concern extends about 300 km in every direction and then fades, with but a few localized hot spots scattered across the country. A conservative government may well treat the west differently, but come election time the same problem always exists – some areas are going to dominate the agenda. These days, energy has an uphill battle everywhere.

Bold mine.

Too polite by half.

Western Canadians in general & Albertans in particular will need to recognize the fact that separation is the only option available if we want to move product, any product, unfettered to market.

FeXL
Mar 24th, 2019, 11:54 AM
Interesting, considering the source. When even the Grope & Flail is paying attention..

I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/03/24/i-want-a-new-country-7/#comments)

So pay attention.

Western Canada is experiencing a rising tide of resentment toward the rest of the country amidst political battles over pipelines, emissions and equalization payments, with a majority in Alberta and Saskatchewan now saying they get so little out of Confederation that they might as well leave.

That’s according to a massive new survey from the Environics Institute, which confirms a widespread impression that Western alienation has gotten worse since Justin Trudeau became Prime Minister. Add a persistent malaise in Atlantic Canada, and the survey depicts an uneasy Confederation on the heels of its 150th anniversary.

The poll, which asked more than 5,000 people about their attitudes toward the country between December and January, found a federation feeling more provincial. The proportion of Canadians who said their province or region is important to their sense of self rose from 69 per cent to 77 per cent in the past decade and a half, even as talk of Quebec separatism has cooled.

I have a habit of being a woman ahead of my time.

Couple comments stood out for me:

One: (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/03/24/i-want-a-new-country-7/#comment-1193417)

LCB you are right. Nostalgia. Your family in TROC will still be your family after Alberta and possibly Sask. are gone. Canada the old Canada is gone it will never come back. Let that sink in, Canada the Old Canada is gone. Alberta families essentially send over 600B to Ottawa since resources was made a part of equalization. What does that mean. It means Alberta Families alone paid off all the National Debt, and are still chastised and **** on inside the former Canada.
Are the resources of other Provinces included in the Equalization formula. Absolutely not. Quebec Hydro posted a 4B profit this year yet got 13B in money from Alberta and Sask. Quebec’s resources are untouchable. Get out Alberta. Get the hell out.
Kenney needs to stop all pipelines from BC flowing through Alberta. Shut them in, block them off. Shut down all commercial truck traffic for 2-3 days for each vehicle with safety inspections before allowing them to cross Alberta, also make the buy a special one time only transit permit. Shut down all rail traffic east and west through Alberta, and shut off all Alberta oil going east or west. No Alberta oil or gas for TROC let them pay world prices. This will also force Oil Tankers onto BC. Maintain these things until we get what we want. A fair and square deal. Let Err Buck.

Bold mine.

I love Watcher's comments.

Two (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/03/24/i-want-a-new-country-7/#comment-1193417):

It’s pretty obvious that the Liberals have written off Alberta and use the transfer payments to bribe Quebec and the Maritime provinces. The big question will be Ontario. What I want to know is…

New Brunswick has 770,000 people and 10 Federal ridings (77,000 people per riding).

Alberta has 4.31 million people and 34 seats (126,000). Alberta should have 56 ridings (22 more), or more ridings than Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and PEI combined.

FeXL
Mar 25th, 2019, 12:31 PM
An Article to All Canadians: Why Would Most in the West SEE it Any Other Way? (https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article-all-canadians-why-would-most-west-see-any-other-russell-huck/)

Mostly an interesting, if somewhat lengthy, read.

I'd like the author to clarify what he means when he notes about 1/3 of the way in:

The large majority of us westerners aren't climate change deniers...

If he means that westerners largely know the climate varies due to Ma Nature, fine. If, however, he thinks there is some measurable anthropogenic signal (and subsequent response) somewhere, that's another thing entirely.

FeXL
Apr 3rd, 2019, 08:37 PM
What is the west so upset about? Well, there’s this… (https://boereport.com/2019/04/03/what-is-the-west-so-upset-about-well-theres-this/)

Instead of raining blows upon people’s heads with yet another diatribe about how Canada’s petroleum sector is being disadvantaged, it’s time for something a little different, to explain to mystified Canadians just why feeling are running a little high out west. Yes, we see the news, we hear that Canada is warming faster than ever. Yes, we know the world is gravely concerned about climate change. We hear that, and the calls to do better. But the world continues to consume more and more petroleum products, for better or worse, and to pretend otherwise is unhelpful. Almost all of you, and us, are in that boat, with the size of our lifestyle footprints. What is irksome then, among other things, is the level to which things are taken for granted. So it’s quiz time!

Bold mine.

Some freaks & weirdos are concerned. The rest of us? Not so much...

The balance of the article is a good read. Tons of salient questions.

FeXL
May 14th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Interesting read from an article published in The Roughneck.

I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/05/14/i-want-a-new-country-9/)

The Roughneck has kindly provided the article free of charge to our readers.

Download the pdf here: Roughneck Article April 2019.

“…founded in 1952 as the voice of the Canadian oil community. The magazine reports on the people and events of that community – both past and present – that have made the oilpatch in Canada what it is today.” Here’s a link should you wish to subscribe.

I'm not sure that the concept of trading interior BC land for federal debt is a starter.

Comments salient.

Macfury
May 14th, 2019, 11:57 AM
Interesting read from an article published in The Roughneck.

I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/05/14/i-want-a-new-country-9/)

I'm not sure that the concept of trading interior BC land for federal debt is a starter.

Comments salient.

I used to read the Roughneck years ago when it had a joke page that would make SJWs shrivel up and die!

FeXL
Jun 12th, 2019, 03:11 PM
Trudeau Forgets His Support of Quebec Separating (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/06/12/trudeau-forgets-his-support-of-quebec-separating/#comments)

Lashes out at 6 premiers……

What was it he said back in 2012?

Comments salient.

"Captain Stumble". I love it... :lmao::clap:

From the link inside:

Asked about the concerns of the premiers and amendments by the Senate, Trudeau lashed out, saying they threaten Confederation.

Why, yes. Yes, we do, you arrogant pup...

FeXL
Jun 22nd, 2019, 06:03 PM
Vivian Krause shows Canada useful idiot to U.S. interests with Bill C-48 (https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/corbella-vivian-krause-shows-canada-useful-idiot-to-u-s-interests-with-bill-c-48?f)

If you ever doubted whether Canada’s government is acting like a useful idiot for U.S. interests, the passage Friday of Bills C-48 and C-69 in the Senate provided ample proof. Independent researcher Vivian Krause has stacks of documents to prove it.

But first, in Alberta, Premier Jason Kenney went appropriately nuclear over this.

“The passage of these two bills not only undermines Canada’s economy, but also the Canadian federation,” Kenney said. He’ll undoubtedly be criticized for saying this by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other members of the Laurentian elite. But this isn’t so much a threat as a warning.

“Their passage brings us closer to moving forward with a referendum on a constitutional amendment to eliminate equalization from the Canadian Constitution. If Albertans cannot develop our resources within the federation, then we should not be expected to pay the bill in the federation,” he said.

And it’s a very, very hefty bill. According to Statistics Canada figures, Alberta is the largest net contributor to confederation, by far.

More:

Krause — the Vancouver-based researcher, who over the last 10 years has been following the money trail behind environmental activism in Canada — backs up every claim with tax filings and other documents.

She has traced $600 million that has flowed into Canada from U.S. foundations to restrict the development and export of oil and natural gas from Canada and provided the senate committee with an 80-page document that showed each of those grants that specifically refers to a tanker ban in B.C.’s waters.

As she stated in her compelling testimony on May 7 before the senate committee that spent thousands of hours studying Bill C-48, Krause found more than 50 grants that specifically mentioned a tanker ban or tanker traffic.

Bold mine.

Hey, Bigot: Where's the criticism of foreign money influencing politics in Canada? Or is it OK because, Progs?

h/t SDA, from whence comes this salient comment (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/06/22/canada-is-americas-useful-idiot/#comment-1216949):

My only question for Premier Kenney at this moment, is:

How far do you need to be pushed before a separation referendum becomes a reality?

Not “if” but when.

Because there’s no other stopping old eastern Canada from stealing what is our future.
It returns to the front page, then leaves for awhile, a gov’t is turfed out, another is voted in with their shitty empty promises that “this time it’s different”… then shitty eastern Canada votes the elite centrists back in,
but it’s always the same.
We work for eastern Canada’s benefit, not our benefit. The Constitution of Canada favors the eastern provinces, there are no property rights, some groups are more important than others, the SCOC makes rules that act like acts of parliament. Our taxes go up, and then we’re told we’re the ones in the wrong.

Canada is broken. There’s no repairing the damage. Break it up. Then sign trade agreements, or don’t.

Bold mine.

Time to dial up my MLA & ask the question...

FeXL
Jul 24th, 2019, 02:28 PM
Caution, Progs: Link to Rebel Media inside. Your head will explode. Don't come whining to me later. You've been warned.

I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/07/24/i-want-a-new-country-15/#comments)

FeXL
Sep 17th, 2019, 07:01 PM
Libertas Alberta (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/09/17/libertas-alberta/#comments)

SDA’s longtime friend, Gord Tulk, has joined other conservatives in his province to create a society called Libertas Alberta. Their goals are not just to conservative policy but methods and legislative pathways that make them politically achievable. They became official in January and are having their first public event on September 26th at 7:00 pm MDT at the Baymont Inn in Red Deer. Admission is free but they would appreciate an RSVP via their website: LibertasAlberta.ca

The topic that night will be: Equalization – What it is and how to Fix it. It will also be a Facebook Live event.

So hoping you will check out their website to get a better understanding of the policy projects they’re working on.

And if you’d like to join, membership is $10/year or unaffiliated observer status is $25/year.

FWIW, I really disliked their website. Both slow & not very informative.

FeXL
Sep 18th, 2019, 03:31 PM
I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/09/18/i-want-a-new-country-20/)

Just as planned: B.C.’s top court orders review of Trans Mountain Pipeline’s environmental assessment

After the National Energy Board reviewed the project for a second time, the federal government approved the pipeline expansion again.

The Appeal Court says in its decision released today that in light of changes to the original report of the energy board when it reconsidered the project, provincial approval also needs to be reconsidered.

From the comments (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/09/18/i-want-a-new-country-20/#comment-1239633):

And after the provincial re-review, the Aboriginal community will need to be re-consulted, and the Feds will have to do another review because of those changes . . .

Yeppers.

There's one way, & one way only, out of this downward spiral...

FeXL
Sep 24th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Another thing that would need to be dealt with is the complete absence of property rights.

Eddie Maurice sued by intruder — the whole story (https://calgarysun.com/opinion/columnists/bell-eddie-maurice-sued-by-intruder-the-whole-story)

Eddie Maurice is being sued for more than $100,000. An intruder hit by the ricocheting bullet of a warning shot is doing the suing.

But that’s only the beginning.

Eddie was also going to be sued by the Government of Alberta until Monday afternoon, when that bureaucratic stupidity got put to bed right quick.

Eddie and Jessie Maurice are still shocked. Eddie is again under fire. Eddie is again on the receiving end.

Doug Schweitzer, the province’s top lawman, says the whole thing is ridiculous.

FeXL
Oct 17th, 2019, 03:58 PM
It's long past time to get out.

The Bloc Quebecois plan that would ruin Alberta (https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/braid-the-bloc-quebecois-plan-that-would-ruin-alberta)

If you’re unhappy about equalization, grab a towel to chew on as you consider the Bloc Quebecois idea for reforming the system.

It is a flat-out anti-Alberta policy in all but name.

Bloc Leader Yves-Francois Blanchet doesn’t even bother to hide his hostility — the result, perhaps, of Alberta lectures to Quebec over pipelines and oil imports going back to ex-premier Alison Redford.

Blanchet calls it La Perequation Verte, or Green Equalization. It’s a major plank in the Bloc’s election platform, released in French only.

This plan could actually mean something, since the Bloc is surging in Quebec and just might end up supporting a minority government, either Liberal or Conservative.

FeXL
Oct 21st, 2019, 03:33 PM
I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/21/i-want-a-new-country-21/#comments)

Patrick Moore;

Canada appears headed for a train wreck due to the widening chasm on energy, climate and finance policy between Alberta and Ottawa. It is possible that no combination of voting outcomes in the October 21 federal election can prevent the breakup of the federation.

Canada has been described as “a road from Ottawa to Montreal and back again”, a blunt reference to the fact that when Ontario and Quebec agree on something, the rest of us are chopped liver. This has given rise over the years to the angst known as western alienation. It has presently reached a boiling point like no other time in our history.

Bold mine.

Ouch. I'd never heard that before. But it describes perfectly how many of us feel.

Comments very salient.

Direct link to Patrick Moore's article:

Will Canada survive this federal election? (https://www.thepostmillennial.com/will-canada-survive-this-federal-election/)

The Post Millennial published the following column after an editor from a mainstream newspaper said it was “too inflammatory at the moment” and other newspapers rejected Moore’s submission.

All Canadians should imagine what it feels like for Albertans when both Ottawa and B.C. treat them like a hostile foreign power. B.C. pretends it doesn’t absolutely depend on Alberta for its transport and aviation fuel while blocking the Trans Mountain Pipeline that would bring Alberta oil to tidewater for export. And Eastern Canada prefers oil brought in tankers from Saudi Arabia, Nigeria and Venezuela rather than Canadian oil from Alberta via the stalled Energy East Pipeline. Meanwhile Ottawa bans tankers on the Pacific coast.

Bold mine.

Except for those full ones en route from Alaska... ;)

FeXL
Oct 23rd, 2019, 04:25 PM
I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/23/i-want-a-new-country-22/#comments)

Sunny days, friends. Sunny days.

Link goes to Rex Murphy:

Western anger was hot before Monday's election. Now it's molten (https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/election-2019/rex-murphy-western-anger-was-hot-before-monday-now-its-molten)

The frictions and anxieties out West over the deplorable treatment of its main industry, the harassment of regulations and protest and court delays that have paralyzed development and driven billions of capital away from Alberta, had — before the election — produced a mood and sentiment of near universal anger about the West’s place in Confederation.

Alberta in particular has very justifiably — as anyone who pays any real attention to the province would know and care greatly about — seen itself as a target, as subsidiary to the concerns of the centre in Ottawa, an afterthought in any of the great schemes proposed by a very “progressive” Trudeau government. It saw from the very beginning of Trudeau’s first government — with its grandiose global posturing, its almost camp presentation of itself as the champion of the global-warming frenzy — that this playacting was going to be at the expense, and to the detriment, of its concerns, its employment, its industry. When Catherine McKenna waltzed off to Paris with nearly 400 delegates to yet another Save the Planet summit, that was much more a message to Albertans, than it was to some assumed global audience. She certainly wasn’t going to show up in Fort McMurray with 400 true believers to see what could be done for unemployed oil workers after the fire and before the carbon tax.

Comments below drawn from SDA:

Watcher says (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/23/i-want-a-new-country-22/#comment-1250573):
October 23, 2019 at 11:43 am

Dannielle Smith chimes in on Twitter. Separatist sites are collapsing in Alberta. 195,000 joined in one day.
https://twitter.com/ABDanielleSmith/status/1186523349238927360

Watcher says (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/23/i-want-a-new-country-22/#comment-1250577):
October 23, 2019 at 11:52 am

WEXIT alone signed up 160,000 people in 24 hrs. They are having a rally in Edmonton Nov. 2 at the Ledge.
https://twitter.com/Barryabfreedom/status/1186884932095754242

B A Deplorable Rupertslander says:
October 23, 2019 at 12:26 pm

I just signed up:

https://wexitalberta.com/

It’s all fine and dandy to talk about wanting a new country, but it’s only air pudding unless I’m willing to make a personal commitment to the cause of independence, and that I just did.

By the way, Farcebook is restricting Wexit’s page. When asked why, there’s no response. Now isn’t that a coincidence, eh?

LC Bennet says (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/23/i-want-a-new-country-22/#comment-1250587):
October 23, 2019 at 12:18 pm

I was looking up some information today. Do you know that as of 2015 88% of Alberta’s exports go to the USA. That’s huge. It makes me wonder if this “but you’re landlocked” is really that big of an issue. Alberta not landlocked to the USA and the USA is where it does 88% of its trade.

https://www.remi.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/US-AB-Trade-Jobs-REMI-presentation.pdf

GRM says (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/23/i-want-a-new-country-22/#comment-1250617):
October 23, 2019 at 1:21 pm

As a 4th generation Albertan, exiled in MB, (for the moment) I would love to see a big beautiful wall on the MB/ON border. Independence for AB/SK/MB and build the pipeline from AB to the port of Churchill to get it to International markets.

FeXL
Oct 25th, 2019, 11:53 AM
They Hate You (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/25/they-hate-you/#comments)

I believe I said it first.

Trudeau has put a Quebec environmental extremist MP in charge of outreach to Alberta and Saskatchewan.

They just can't control themselves, even for 24 hours.

They hate you. Never forget that.https://t.co/sh7IzUb5oM

— Ezra Levant 🍁 (@ezralevant) October 24, 2019

FeXL
Oct 31st, 2019, 01:29 PM
Pollspotting! (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/31/pollspotting-8/#comments)

An interesting discussion in the comments.

FeXL
Oct 31st, 2019, 03:25 PM
Caution: Link to MotherCorpse inside.

I Wish I Owned All The Oil Companies In The World (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/31/i-wish-i-owned-all-the-oil-companies-in-the-world/#comments)

They want a new country, too.

Encana Corp., one of Canada’s oldest and largest energy companies, is moving its corporate headquarters from Calgary to the United States.

The company, which is also changing its name to Ovintiv Inc., said Thursday that having a U.S. address will expose it to increasingly larger pools of investment in U.S. index funds and passively managed accounts, as well as better align it with its U.S. peers.

I always give good advice.

Bold mine.

Fukc you, Juthdin.

If you don't want to give MotherCorpse a click, here's a link from the comments to a Bloomberg Story. (https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/encana-to-establish-u-s-domicile-as-permian-oil-output-surges) (I know. Almost as bad...)

eMacMan
Oct 31st, 2019, 03:49 PM
Caution: Link to MotherCorpse inside.

I Wish I Owned All The Oil Companies In The World (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/10/31/i-wish-i-owned-all-the-oil-companies-in-the-world/#comments)

Bold mine.

Fukc you, Juthdin.

If you don't want to give MotherCorpse a click, here's a link from the comments to a Bloomberg Story. (https://www.bloombergquint.com/business/encana-to-establish-u-s-domicile-as-permian-oil-output-surges) (I know. Almost as bad...)
To be fair he spent several years putting this together, so blaming Trudeau's re-election is rather absurd.

The guy in charge is a Texan. Far more likely he was sick and tired of being unable to hire Americans to any position of fiscal responsibility, having to report all data on any of the company accounts which he controlled to the IRS Criminal Enforcement Network, and having to deal with the guillotine of F(u)BARS, 8938s and 3520s on all of his personal accounts.

Not to mention that he probably hates winter!

FeXL
Oct 31st, 2019, 04:09 PM
To be fair he spent several years putting this together, so blaming Trudeau's re-election is rather absurd.

Not on Captain Stumble's re-election. On the Liberal's anti-oil stance, period.

FeXL
Nov 6th, 2019, 03:56 PM
I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/11/06/i-want-a-new-country-24/)

“Withdrawing from CPP is a provincial right. It can be exercised without constitutional or legal challenge.”

Interesting discussion in the comments.

Related:

Pengrowth stock plunges 77.5% after board agrees to sell out to Cona Resources for 5 cents a share (https://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/pengrowth-energy-to-be-acquired-by-cona-resources-for-740-million)

Canadian oil and gas producer Pengrowth Energy Corp. plunged 77.5 per cent on Friday after agreeing to be acquired by privately held oil company Cona Resources in a deal valued at $740 million (US$562.18 million).

More:

Johnston also blamed extreme volatility in the price of Western Canadian oil in the fall of 2018, coupled with an uncertain political and regulatory environment, “has led to a severe funding crisis in the Canadian energy capital markets which impeded the company’s ability to achieve a funding solution.”

They'll also be laying off 100's of workers.

Macfury
Nov 6th, 2019, 05:35 PM
They'll also be laying off 100's of workers.

Do they speak French... ?

CubaMark
Nov 6th, 2019, 05:56 PM
And now, a message from Peter MacKay (no, not *that* Peter McKay (https://twitter.com/PeterMacKay))....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w6c6w3jpviomjw/MacKay-1.png?raw=1 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157835835555152&set=a.10150257158715152&type=3&eid=ARD5uEqgSMGLXjIfOrLYmyR25ktanagugsENjRkYOEqZqv HM9IQqhqbJmYoScOqbPJR2U2EU7-Cv7ax1)

and:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oxhgdzsqqodgtjt/MacKay-2.png?raw=1 (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10157828731180152&set=a.10150257158715152)

The aforementioned opinion piece (https://medicinehatnews.com/commentary/opinions/2019/11/02/guest-column-did-you-know-the-deficit-went-up-by-2-billion/?fbclid=IwAR1cXKTr-G204iXJN3GByLLVGc7iEjiO8B8UumLzyzzMc-nkFJoYiD1hp04) by Scott Schmidt from the Medicine Hat News

Macfury
Nov 6th, 2019, 05:57 PM
These newspapers have some standards for common sense and readability, CM.

FeXL
Nov 6th, 2019, 08:08 PM
Do they speak French... ?

Nope. If they had, this never would have happened...

FeXL
Nov 7th, 2019, 10:11 AM
Hello, Bigot.

A puff piece done by the layout editor? Well, saaalute...

Let's examine this a bit, shall we?

First of all, the obvious. This layout editor seems quite concerned that the deficit went up by $2 billion. Now, while this is indeed a concern, he is complacent about the fact that the Progs were the ones that brought it up to $6 billion in the first place. Even more curious is the fact that he mentions the record debt that the EnDeePee amassed exactly zero times.

Regarding public sector job losses, this layout editor bemoans the fact that there will be a 7.7% reduction without noting that Red Rachel hired 60,000 public sector workers during her disastrous reign.

This layout editor complains that 66,000 AISH recipients will receive no inflation increases for the next 3 years without even bothering to note that 100,000 Albertans involved in the petroleum industry lost their jobs entirely.

The layout editor moves on to criticize the UCP economic forecast as questionable because of the uncertainty of the future of pipelines. While this is a fair point, it's curious that he doesn't mention the fact that Red Rachel used precisely the same uncertain standards and the exact same date for a balanced budget.

I could go on.

Perhaps Mr. Layout Editor should stick to what he knows best, rather than publicly embarrass himself as an economy critic...

And now, a message from Peter MacKay

Macfury
Nov 7th, 2019, 10:51 AM
Hello, Bigot.

A puff piece done by the layout editor? Well, saaalute...

I hear that the guy who prints those newspapers has a killer opinion on the Grey Cup...

FeXL
Nov 7th, 2019, 11:03 AM
I hear that the guy who prints those newspapers has a killer opinion on the Grey Cup...

Could probably give you next year's Triple Crown winners, too.

FeXL
Nov 13th, 2019, 08:11 PM
I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/11/13/i-want-a-new-country-25/)

“More of the same”.

Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe came out of a meeting with Prime Minster Justin Trudeau “disappointed” with what he says is a lack of commitment to address Western needs.

“We have provided some options for [Trudeau] to support the people of the province and today I did not hear a commitment to moving forward on those items,” said Moe.

Tell me he wasn't surprised.

I don't know much about Moe but it's readily apparent he's no Brad Wall.

FeXL
Nov 15th, 2019, 04:11 PM
I Want A New Country (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/11/15/i-want-a-new-country-26/#comments)

How Alberta pays Quebec’s bills

Very interesting exchange going on in the comments, including this little gem (http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/index.php/2019/11/15/i-want-a-new-country-26/#comment-1257646):

This is what Quebecers are told about the situation from the Bloc scum:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIP7y1DXkAEk1Dw.jpg

In their world Quebec is paying for the pipeline for Alberta. It’s beyond infuriating to see. I think the take away here is that the situation is hopeless. There’s just no way to reconcile this thing at all.