: Anyone using HDR software?

krs
Nov 26th, 2018, 04:29 PM
Is anyone using HDR software?

I got interested in it to try to enhance pictures that have very light and very dark areas and where all the details in the black areas are not visible using a normal exposure setting on a camera.

The software I just tested - well tested is maybe a bit too strong a word - I just selected oner of my "problem" images , loaded into the software and then picked and saved one of the preset images that seemed the most natural.
I'm pretty happy with the results and will probably buy the software before the day is out since they offer a 25% discount today.

Just wondered if others are using HDR software and if so which one.
I was looking for one that can enhance existing jpgs.

Images enclosed, first one the way I received it from the photographer, second one with one of the easyHDR preset enhancement where one can see the wheels and trucks of the car

eMacMan
Nov 26th, 2018, 06:46 PM
From a review I did of the Fuji XP 90 underwater camera. Entire review here:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AOwliuHaBG0LI%5F0&cid=4500D393DAEAF21C&id=4500D393DAEAF21C%211984&parId=4500D393DAEAF21C%211197&o=OneUp

Over-Exposure
This camera has a second problem shared with most if not all digital cameras. There is zero tolerance to overexposure. That means that highlights with no-detail are lurking every time you snap the shutter in higher than normal contrast situations. RAW files would certainly overcome this problem, but RAW images are gargantuan in size and require more work after the shot.

Another solution is learning to recognize the potential problem and being a bit creative when you take an image. Here are three solutions. If the problem is mild use the built in HDR mode or work from a moderate underexposure. Tougher shots try using the EV bias and shooting at a -1, and a -2 Exposure bias, pick the best and lighten shadows and mid tones on your computer. For those really nasty situations there is a DYI version of HDR. Shoot normal and -2 frames then blend them back at home on your computer.

For samples click on the link below. Use the keyboard arrows to advance to the next image.
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AI7w%2D37aghRdJA8&cid=4500D393DAEAF21C&id=4500D393DAEAF21C%211669&parId=4500D393DAEAF21C%211668&o=OneUp

Moscool
Dec 17th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Once upon a time the dynamic range of digital images was rather limited, so HDR (using multiple exposures) was the only way to capture an image that could vaguely mimic light range of the human eye. Here is a primer (https://www.adorama.com/alc/8256/article/dynamic-range-photography-explained) on the concept.

Various techniques were available then if you didn't want to use dedicated HDR, mainly shooting in RAW format and 'exposing to the right': slightly overexposing (but not 'burning') in order for the darker part of the image to have more data and then lower the bright parts of the image on the computer.

Now you may still want to do HDR, either to create surreal images like this one (https://www.wallpapervortex.com/wallpaper-28650_hdr_extreme_hdr_chicago_cityscape.html#.XBfI lS10cWo), to really handle problematic examples like that one (https://i.pinimg.com/474x/09/13/29/091329dfd4e0788a6dbb8d05fcaa9ce8--hdr-photography.jpg).

However these days, you simply want to 'see more of the detail', which largely corresponds to opening up the shadows area of your photo. All modern apps will do that, starting with Apple Photos. I tend to use Lightroom but Photos will be OK on the fly. So just go in edit mode and adjust the light settings: start with exposure and then go down the list. Shadows and 'black point' will give you impressive results without the need for a separate app. This is because modern camera sensors capture files which have a lot more information these days.

One last point: said information gets 'crushed' at jpg conversion, so shooting in RAW will ALWAYS give you better results. Enjoy.

krs
Dec 17th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I decided to buy that HDR software while the sale was still on.
Works well for my porposes.

I don't have the time to fiddle with each imake in photo and these are mostly images a friend makes for me that I get in jpg.
Not sure his camera even does RAW and the RAW files would be much bigger, too big to just send by email.
The Easy HDR software gives one a set of images with different amounts of image correction (if you want to call it that) applied and one just picks the best one. I think one can also afiddle and adjust the images individually, but for my purposes selecting one of the pre-processed images works just fine and is definitely quick to do.

polywog
Dec 18th, 2018, 07:31 AM
I've used Photomatix Pro for quite some time. I find it has enough control to get a decent boost in dynamic range and detail, without becoming oversaturated and... well HDR like. I find for the most part HDR tends to be completely overdone.

chrismccoy
Feb 7th, 2019, 03:45 PM
im using aurora hdr myself