: Strange Problem with MS Power Point

krs
Nov 21st, 2018, 08:04 PM
I have a Power Point presentation that works differently on two Macs even though each Mac runs the same Mac OS and the same version of power point.

Let me explain -

On a Mac Mini 2012 running OS 10.11.6 and MS Office 2011, after I launch the PPT presentation and select view>slideshow, the slide opens full screen on the monitor the way it should.

If I do the same thing on a MacBook pro 2011 running OS 10.11.5 and MS Office 2011, after I launch the PPT presentation and select view>slideshow, the slide doesn't really change - the toolbar is still there and all that happens is that the desktop icons disappear.
I expected the slide to open full screen like on the Mini.

The presentation itself is on a USB flash drive so it is identical in both cases.

I just reinstalled Office 2011 on the MacBook pro, but the problem is the same.
To reinstall, I moved the existing Microsoft folder from the application folder to the trash - are there other MS files I should have trashed as well before installing MS Office again?
Or does anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Thanks.

wonderings
Nov 22nd, 2018, 02:54 PM
I have a Power Point presentation that works differently on two Macs even though each Mac runs the same Mac OS and the same version of power point.

Let me explain -

On a Mac Mini 2012 running OS 10.11.6 and MS Office 2011, after I launch the PPT presentation and select view>slideshow, the slide opens full screen on the monitor the way it should.

If I do the same thing on a MacBook pro 2011 running OS 10.11.5 and MS Office 2011, after I launch the PPT presentation and select view>slideshow, the slide doesn't really change - the toolbar is still there and all that happens is that the desktop icons disappear.
I expected the slide to open full screen like on the Mini.

The presentation itself is on a USB flash drive so it is identical in both cases.

I just reinstalled Office 2011 on the MacBook pro, but the problem is the same.
To reinstall, I moved the existing Microsoft folder from the application folder to the trash - are there other MS files I should have trashed as well before installing MS Office again?
Or does anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Thanks.

Been a while since I used powerpoint but you sure it is not in presenter mode or one of the different views when a show is running?

pm-r
Nov 22nd, 2018, 04:17 PM

I thought Microsoft Office 2011 had its own UnInstaller, but maybe not, but there is this, But I don't think reinstalling is going to help as it seems to be some sort of setting difference instead, Anyway:
How to Uninstall Microsoft Office 2011 (Mac)
https://it.uib.no/en/How_to_Uninstall_Microsoft_Office_2011_(Mac)

- Patrick
======

krs
Nov 22nd, 2018, 11:52 PM
I thought Microsoft Office 2011 had its own UnInstaller, but maybe not, but there is this, But I don't think reinstalling is going to help as it seems to be some sort of setting difference instead, Anyway:
How to Uninstall Microsoft Office 2011 (Mac)
https://it.uib.no/en/How_to_Uninstall_Microsoft_Office_2011_(Mac)

- Patrick
======

Patrick,

Have you actually looked at the link you posted?
I get a nice logo and then a message: "There is currently no text on this page......"

But I rather doubt it's a MS corrupt application issue either.

krs
Nov 23rd, 2018, 12:02 AM
Been a while since I used powerpoint but you sure it is not in presenter mode or one of the different views when a show is running?

I have gone through all the different views, they seem to work fine except for the one that does not.

Interesting is that I found a number of threads on google with exactly the same problem but no resolution.
People suggest resetting PRAM and SMC but I think that ios barking up the wrong tree completely.

Somehow I think it might relate to the fact that this Mac was used with an external projector and somehow these settings to drive an external display are still there...somewhere.

I dug out a monitor last night and hooked it up.
The desktop of the MacBook pro along with the mouse was shown on the external.
I moved the desktop back to the MacBook pro via the Display arrangement tab pretty much sure that would resolve the issue but it didn't.
Restarted PPT and also rebooted the Mac, still the same problem.

When I can work on that MacBook again I will try this external display again but this time also launch the PPT presentation and then move that back to the display on the MBp.
Maybe PPT keeps some setting related to that.

But in the meantime any comments and suggestions are welcome.

wonderings
Nov 23rd, 2018, 09:21 AM
I have gone through all the different views, they seem to work fine except for the one that does not.

Interesting is that I found a number of threads on google with exactly the same problem but no resolution.
People suggest resetting PRAM and SMC but I think that ios barking up the wrong tree completely.

Somehow I think it might relate to the fact that this Mac was used with an external projector and somehow these settings to drive an external display are still there...somewhere.

I dug out a monitor last night and hooked it up.
The desktop of the MacBook pro along with the mouse was shown on the external.
I moved the desktop back to the MacBook pro via the Display arrangement tab pretty much sure that would resolve the issue but it didn't.
Restarted PPT and also rebooted the Mac, still the same problem.

When I can work on that MacBook again I will try this external display again but this time also launch the PPT presentation and then move that back to the display on the MBp.
Maybe PPT keeps some setting related to that.

But in the meantime any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Are you able to take a screen shot of what you are seeing? Very bizarre.

krs
Nov 23rd, 2018, 10:48 AM
Are you able to take a screen shot of what you are seeing? Very bizarre.

OK - as soon a I have access to that MacBook pro again.

I bet you at the end it's going to be - how come I didn't notice that? Really simple........

pm-r
Nov 23rd, 2018, 12:44 PM
Patrick,

Have you actually looked at the link you posted?
I get a nice logo and then a message: "There is currently no text on this page......"

But I rather doubt it's a MS corrupt application issue either.

That's rather bazaar, and yes I looked at the page and it was nicely done with lots of good illustrations. But as you say, sure nothing there now.

Maybe the differences are due to the set resolutions and Full Screen options/capabilities between the MacBook pro 2011 and the Mac Mini 2012.

As I mentioned and agree, I doubt if the re-install of MS Office would change or fix things. I'm also guessing that each Mac is using a different graphics card which may cause some differences. Just a guess...

- Patrick
======

wonderings
Nov 23rd, 2018, 02:25 PM
On a completely different point why not use Keynote? I find it the way it looks and handles images (PSD files, AI files) and video files vastly superior and powerful. I use to do a lot of setup with keynote and powerpoint and the clicks it took me in powerpoint were generally half if not more to do the same thing in Keynote.

krs
Nov 24th, 2018, 01:39 PM
On a completely different point why not use Keynote?

That was actually the first thing I tried when we ran into this problem, but Keynote has essentially the same issue - slide view (slide only) also doesn't show on the MacBook.
Besides, Keynote has another problem....this presentation was created initially using MS Power Point,it was then updated also using Power Point and when one opens it in Keynotes, some of the fonts originally used are substituted because Keynotes doesn't have these fonts.
So some of the text looks a bit different.
But we would still have used Keynotes if it had resolved the problem.

Now, having said all this and looking at it again on the MacBook pro last night, I'm pretty much convinced the issue relates to having an external screen connected a while back. I mentioned that previously.

I took some screen shots which I will post shortly.

krs
Nov 24th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Screen shots:
1. MacMini ppt normal view
2. MacMini ppt slide view
3. MacBook ppt normal view
4. MacBooki ppt slide view

I have to dig my monitor and cable out of storage again on the weekend and hook it up to the MacBook pro, but I think I will see the proper slide view on the external display.

krs
Nov 26th, 2018, 07:24 PM
An update on this problem - just did a bit more testing.

1. Hooked up the external display again. launched the presentation and tried every display option in the book.
Moving displays around etc.
Everything worked the way I expected it to, so there goes my other idea out the window.

However,
I tried it again opening the presentation with keynotes.
The view is not the same as expected in power point, second image in my post above, the slide is shown by itself (which is great), but it's moved all the way to the left of the screen but the text is messed up - the two lines above the image of that lady is tiny and the one line text below the image is missing completely. So that is a no-go as well

Then tried opening the presentation with Libre Office.
In Libre Office the slide opens (on the MacBook pro) like image 2 above, ie exactly what I expected, but some of the text is missing.
Looks like the one liner below the image moved up and disappearde behind the image so all it shows is REMEM.

I then got a different presentation from 2011 and tried that on the MacBook pro and the Mini
On the Mini slide view opened fine, like image 2, on the MacBook pro slide view opened like image 4, ie only the very top bar is gone.

So from all of that, I conclude that the issue has to be with the power point application.
When I reinstalled MS Office, there were obviously some files somewhere that were not deleted and replaced with the new install - so now I will focus on redoing that install properly, ie get rid of all the old MS Office installation.

pm-r
Nov 26th, 2018, 08:01 PM
When I reinstalled MS Office, there were obviously some files somewhere that were not deleted and replaced with the new install - so now I will focus on redoing that install properly, ie get rid of all the old MS Office installation.

You might want to involve and use the Find Any File.app (FAF) to seek and destroy all associated MS Office files and folders before any new reinstall:
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File (http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php)

- Patrick
======