: El cap Combo update

eMacMan
Oct 15th, 2018, 01:39 PM
So my newer MacPro 4,1 came with a fresh version of 10.11.0 installed. Attempted to update via app store, and failed!

Attempted to down load updater via Safari. Update button was inactive.

Currently downloading via FireFox. Looks like about 40 minutes total. Man have these things gotten bloated!

That's right the 10.11.6 combo updater download button on the Apple Website works in FireFox but not Safari. WTH is wrong with Apple these days

eMacMan
Oct 15th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Update from the downloaded combo updater was successful. Interestingly cured an issue with MS Excel where I could not embed links or images.

pm-r
Oct 16th, 2018, 12:01 AM
Update from the downloaded combo updater was successful. Interestingly cured an issue with MS Excel where I could not embed links or images.

Did it fix the download button on the Apple Website problem as well?

I'd say that's a pretty blatant Apple problem!!!

- Patrick
======

eMacMan
Oct 16th, 2018, 01:47 AM
Did it fix the download button on the Apple Website problem as well?

I'd say that's a pretty blatant Apple problem!!!

- Patrick
======

Have not booted from it since completing the update, since Safari seemed up to date I can see no reason updating the OS would have fixed it but who knows?

eMacMan
Oct 16th, 2018, 12:34 PM
Same issue with the April 2018 security update.

Knowing that if it had not already completely downloaded there was no point in trying to update via the App Store, I went straight to FireFox, but did also check with Safari. Again Safari did not have a active download button.

Again nearly a GB. Roughly a half hour download time. Using the laptop while I wait for te gears to finish grinding.

pm-r
Oct 16th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Knowing that if it had not already completely downloaded there was no point in trying to update via the App Store, I went straight to FireFox, but did also check with Safari. Again Safari did not have a active download button.

I have the same problem "no download button" with Safari 9.1.3 running Mavericks 10.9.5. But the link to the combo update works well with Safari from this macupdate site:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/54770/apple-os-x-el-capitan

PS: I'm sure you know, but do not attempt any installs without having a current working bootable backup!!!

- Patrick
======

eMacMan
Oct 16th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I have the same problem "no download button" with Safari 9.1.3 running Mavericks 10.9.5. But the link to the combo update works well with Safari from this macupdate site:
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/54770/apple-os-x-el-capitan

PS: I'm sure you know, but do not attempt any installs without having a current working bootable backup!!!

- Patrick
======

Yep. Created and tested a SuperDuper asr disk image before embarking then another once everything was together and working. Restore time from the latest disk image via Terminal is 8 minutes including the time it takes me to run the 'bless' command after the restore.

Back into Snow Leopard at the moment.

Interestingly The MacPro running ElCap has Safari 9.1.x with no updates showing in the App Store or when I open Safari. My laptop is showing Safari as version 10.0.x (also ElCap). Safari 10 does show the download button from the Apple Website. To say Apple has gotten a bit sloppy might be understating it.

Wonder what's going on there?

Anyways I now have the ElCap system built. Next step is seeing if I can get the 2002 Epson scanner to work or if I am going to be limited to Snow Leopard for that. That will have to wait for the FireWire 400-800 cable to arrive, or maybe I'll just dig out a USB cable and go that route. Not 100% sure the scanner has USB2 though.

EDIT: I see the scanner is USB 2 compatible so the FireWire cable is not really needed for that. Anyways that's a project for another day!

eMacMan
Oct 16th, 2018, 03:10 PM
:eek::eek::eek:
From Apple's website:
If you deleted Safari and don't have a Time Machine backup (https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201250) or other backup, reinstall macOS (https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201475) to put Safari back in your Applications folder. Reinstalling macOS doesn't remove data from your computer. If I can't copy Safari 10 from the Laptop to the MacPro, then the Pro stays at Safari 9.1.x Obviously there's a reason I don't normally use Safari!

If it takes close to an hour for 1GB to down load from Apple can't even imagine how long it would take to reinstall the entire OS.XX)

pm-r
Oct 16th, 2018, 05:56 PM
Back into Snow Leopard at the moment.

One of the best OS X versions Apple ever released!!! I still end up booting into it every so often to do some things the later OS X versions or its apps can't.

Interestingly The MacPro running ElCap has Safari 9.1.x with no updates showing in the App Store or when I open Safari.
Download and run the latest compatible 10.10.x COMBO Update. Again if done already.
https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

To say Apple has gotten a bit sloppy might be understating it.
Unfortunately, that seems to be a fairly common complaint comment at many different Mac discussion/support forums that occurring more and more!!!

Next step is seeing if I can get the 2002 Epson scanner to work or if I am going to be limited to Snow Leopard for that. That will have to wait for the FireWire 400-800 cable to arrive, or maybe I'll just dig out a USB cable and go that route. Not 100% sure the scanner has USB2 though.
Why bother with a FireWire Cable plus adapter when USB Cable should be more than adequate. And if your Mac's OS X doesn't support, you can always use the excellent ViewScan that will.

PS: What's your normal ISP's download rate that you are paying for, or are you using an old dial-up modem???
If it takes close to an hour for 1GB to down load from Apple can't even imagine how long it would take to reinstall the entire OS.

- Patrick
======

eMacMan
Oct 16th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Download is 5Mbps. On the combo it was going flat out. On the Security Update it was coming in at about 3.7Mbps.

Checked out your link. Did show the combo and security updates but no safari updates.

Thankfully the scanner is not so old that it is USB 1

eMacMan
Oct 20th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Still fine tuning the ElCap build. Some difficulty finding an add blocker that plays nice with every regular site, but other than that pretty much have it together.

FWIW I think it was this morning that a Safari update finally appeared in the App Store updates list. Version 11.1.2 and yes it's running just fine in ElCap. I think I may have hit a window when the sent out an earlier version 11 and were trying to fix some bugs.

pm-r
Oct 20th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Some difficulty finding an add blocker that plays nice with every regular site, but other than that pretty much have it together.

I found that both blockers I ended up using mostly worked fine:
Adblock Plus
https://adblockplus.org
and
AdBlock
https://getadblock.com

But I seem to have gone back to just using AdBlock for some reasons I don't really recall.

It works well enough for my use.

- Patrick
======

eMacMan
Oct 21st, 2018, 10:41 AM
uBlock Original seems to work best for me. Adguard is a close second. I do sometimes watch programs over the CTV and websites. Some ad blockers not only prevent viewing the videos there, but disabling or removing the blockers entirely won't reverse the problem. I have to use FindAnyFile to get to open `/Library, then delete the FireFox application support and cache folders to get things back to normal.

eMacMan
Oct 22nd, 2018, 02:04 PM
Interesting and not sure it is El Cap or something earlier.

The mouse scroll wheel direction in Snow Leopard is the exact opposite of what it is in El Cap. SL has no way to change it. The El Cap mouse pref panel says it is set to the natural scroll direction. Unchecking that box has the mouse scrolling the same in ElCap as it does in SL.

Both mice are simple USB Logitech M100s.

pm-r
Oct 22nd, 2018, 03:16 PM
Interesting and not sure it is El Cap or something earlier.
The mouse scroll wheel direction in Snow Leopard is the exact opposite of what it is in El Cap

Actually it's the other way around and Apple changed the "natural" scrolling direction as they call it starting with OS X Lion 10.7.x.

Apple just got the name and description reversed (i.e.: wrong) in OS X to match with their iOS direction. LOL!!! :D

- Patrick
======