: Alexa, Google, or Siri?

Rps
Oct 14th, 2018, 02:31 PM
When I was younger the question of the day was “which would you take, Tina or Maryann”. Today it seems to be Alexa, Google or Siri.

I’m looking for a home assistant for information and music not to run my household, so which would you choose?

Macfury
Oct 14th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Given all of their intention to spy on users and sell your information to others, I would choose none of them.

But Mary Ann is my choice over Ginger.

pm-r
Oct 14th, 2018, 02:47 PM
I’m looking for a home assistant for information and music not to run my household, so which would you choose?
To save reinventing the wheel yet again, maybe give this a try:
best home assistant Alexa, Google or Siri
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=best+home+assistant+Alexa,+Google+or+Siri&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And from what I've read, I'd skip Siri unless it's suddenly improved and become more useful lately.

- Patrick
======

SINC
Oct 14th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I would never allow somethig like this to have any control over any part of my system. When one gets too damn lazy to select their own music or get up and trun on a light, it's time to think really hard as in, "What the hell am I doing? - What's the matter with me?" ;)

And MaryAnn was always my pick. :D

eMacMan
Oct 14th, 2018, 05:06 PM
I would never allow somethig like this to have any control over any part of my system. When one gets too damn lazy to select their own music or get up and trun on a light, it's time to think really hard as in, "What the hell am I doing? - What's the matter with me?" ;)

And MaryAnn was always my pick. :D

Yep that's me as well.

FWIW I preferred Bailey to Jennifer on WKRP.

Macfury
Oct 14th, 2018, 05:17 PM
FWIW I preferred Bailey to Jennifer on WKRP.

Ditto.

Rps
Oct 14th, 2018, 05:52 PM
I’d take Bailey as well.

I’ve read a lot of articles on the three but I was looking for some actual users. While I would agree on the intrusion they can have, I have someone in my family who is visually impaired and I thought one of these might be of assistance. Any users out there.

pm-r
Oct 14th, 2018, 06:50 PM
I have someone in my family who is visually impaired and I thought one of these might be of assistance. Any users out there.

My very non-techy cousin bought the small Amazon Alexa on sale and just loves it. Actually, I think it was the Google Home Mini Smart Speaker she purchased, but calls it Alexa.

She mainly uses it to play music or change what's playing and maybe check the weather and similar stuff and ask some questions that pops into her head. Not much chance of any personal "intrusions" other than maybe her choice of music I'd think!!!

- Patrick
======

smashedbanana
Oct 14th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Whole bunch of old folgies here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk

Macfury
Oct 14th, 2018, 08:59 PM
What's a folgie?

Dr.G.
Oct 14th, 2018, 09:05 PM
What's a folgie?

A left-handed old fogie. :D

smashedbanana
Oct 14th, 2018, 10:23 PM
What's a folgie?

A folksy Fogie

The opposite of a young whipper snapper.

Macfury
Oct 14th, 2018, 10:30 PM
At which end of the scale would we find you?

A folksy Fogie

Dr.G.
Oct 14th, 2018, 10:48 PM
A folksy Fogie

:lmao::clap::lmao:

pm-r
Oct 14th, 2018, 11:01 PM
Well sorry Rps, it seems as though one can't even ask a normal computer type related question in these forums these days without it getting completely sidetracked.

Gheese… :-(

Macfury
Oct 14th, 2018, 11:28 PM
When I was younger the question of the day was “which would you take, Tina or Maryann”. Today it seems to be Alexa, Google or Siri.

Do you intend to subscribe to a music service or just play music in your iTunes library?

smashedbanana
Oct 15th, 2018, 12:02 AM
Well sorry Rps, it seems as though one can't even ask a normal computer type related question in these forums these days without it getting completely sidetracked.

Gheese… :-(

Well he did ask in the everything else section so stands to reason you get ... everything else.

But here's my serious answer. We have Google Home minis on the different floors. Love them. Have a chrome cast so we can yell at the the TV through them. They work great with spotify. Don't have android phones, so we use the Google Home app on our iphones. No issue.

Got them last Black Friday when they were $29US I think? at Walmart in the US.

TiltAgain
Oct 15th, 2018, 01:33 AM
What's a folgie?

An Australian coffee lover?

Cheers

Macfury
Oct 15th, 2018, 01:36 AM
Well he did ask in the everything else section so stands to reason you get ... everything else.

But here's my serious answer. We have Google Home minis on the different floors. Love them. Have a chrome cast so we can yell at the the TV through them. They work great with spotify. Don't have android phones, so we use the Google Home app on our iphones. No issue.

Got them last Black Friday when they were $29US I think? at Walmart in the US.

Yep, this is why I'm asking what sort of devices and music collections rps wants to activate.

polywog
Oct 15th, 2018, 09:33 AM

I trust neither Google nor Amazon with the data they get using their voice assistance. They have a vested interest in using that data for all kinds of things you probably never intended.

I'd go with Siri. With the other two, you're the product.

wonderings
Oct 15th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Siri really is bottom of the barrel. I have the Amazon Echo and use their music service as well as moderate control over the few smart things I have in my house (thermostat and a couple of lights). Questions I would ask Siri would bring up a google search, questions I would ask Alexa would get me a verbal reply with the answer. If I was strictly looking for a smart music player I would go with iTunes as they have the largest selection of music and from what I have read the best sounding speaker (better be for the price). Amazon has a huge eco systems of "skills" you can add to your device (basically apps). I use it for radio, old time radio dramas that I enjoy as well as music. Very impressed with the sound quality coming out of that little Echo 2. I have the echo sub coming in today that should give it richer bass.

SINC
Oct 15th, 2018, 10:11 AM
Following this thread has sure shown Apple pricing compared to others for the same type of device. Good grief, Apple is at least $300 more than any comparable competitor for essentially the very same abilities in a device.

Macfury
Oct 15th, 2018, 10:15 AM
I use it for radio, old time radio dramas that I enjoy as well as music.

Have you plied the vast collection of OTR at archive.org?

Rps
Oct 15th, 2018, 10:38 AM
Do you intend to subscribe to a music service or just play music in your iTunes library?

Not sure what they have....haven’t really looked into the Apple Music myself. I would think the music would come from their library.

Macfury
Oct 15th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Not sure what they have....haven’t really looked into the Apple Music myself. I would think the music would come from their library.

I understand that it can be difficult to get Alexa to work well with iTunes. If the intended user wants something to work without too much fuss, it's best to decide up front which music will be accessed.

wonderings
Oct 15th, 2018, 11:44 AM
I understand that it can be difficult to get Alexa to work well with iTunes. If the intended user wants something to work without too much fuss, it's best to decide up front which music will be accessed.

Don't think you can use Alexa with iTunes. I know I don't and just use Amazons streaming service which is much cheaper then Apples. If you have Amazon Prime you get free Amazon music which has a couple million songs or for about $6 a month if you pay for the full year you get 10's of millions of songs.

You have to decide on the eco system and as much as I like Apple they are just to closed in this space.

wonderings
Oct 15th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Have you plied the vast collection of OTR at archive.org?

I have not used that website but I have various apps on my iPhone as well as Alexa. I really like the old sci fi stuff, X-Minus 1 and stuff like that. Think I have listened to the entire catalogue of that show a few times.

eMacMan
Oct 15th, 2018, 12:34 PM

Thanks, way too much potential time waste awaits me there.

Macfury
Oct 15th, 2018, 12:40 PM
I have not used that website but I have various apps on my iPhone as well as Alexa. I really like the old sci fi stuff, X-Minus 1 and stuff like that. Think I have listened to the entire catalogue of that show a few times.

Yeah, X-Minus 1 is great stuff. Some of the horror series are still downright scary. Also have a soft spot for CBS Radio Mystery Theatre.

For anyone interested:

https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio

pm-r
Oct 15th, 2018, 01:03 PM
I'd go with Siri. With the other two, you're the product.

Wow, do you really believe they are actually so puritanical???

Wowzers…

polywog
Oct 15th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Following this thread has sure shown Apple pricing compared to others for the same type of device. Good grief, Apple is at least $300 more than any comparable competitor for essentially the very same abilities in a device.

Your data makes up the difference with Google and Amazon. Their devices are essentially loss leaders.

wonderings
Oct 15th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Your data makes up the difference with Google and Amazon. Their devices are essentially loss leaders.

They can take my data though not sure what they are getting from me data wise. I am sure they get much more from my searching on amazon.ca then me sitting around silently in my house.

WCraig
Oct 16th, 2018, 08:49 AM

Wowzers…

How anyone can even entertain the notion of Amazon or Google having a listening device in their homes beggars belief. Their business models compels them them to rape you for your personal information. Apple's does not.

Craig

polywog
Oct 16th, 2018, 01:22 PM

Wowzers…

Apple wants to sell you their products and their services.
Google monetizes your data.
Amazon wants to sell you all kinds of stuff.

It's not about being puritanical. That's their business models. Two of those three names benefit directly from your data.

smashedbanana
Oct 16th, 2018, 02:18 PM
How anyone can even entertain the notion of Amazon or Google having a listening device in their homes beggars belief. Their business models compels them them to rape you for your personal information. Apple's does not.

Craig

It's the world we live in. Amazon and Google pale in comparison to Facebook. But everyone is there and never questions the free service with literally all your info.

You either live with it and get connected or I guess you build a cabin in the woods and wait out the zombie apocalypse.

Macfury
Oct 16th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Many people question that free service. For example, I refuse to get a Gmail account and have an extremely limited Facebook presence, designed to contact people who can be reached only through that channel. I also use a VPN.

It's obviously your business if your privacy is for sale at a low price, but it's more important to me than a mobile speaker, or a light that turns on when I yell at it.

It's the world we live in. Amazon and Google pale in comparison to Facebook. But everyone is there and never questions the free service with literally all your info.

You either live with it and get connected or I guess you build a cabin in the woods and wait out the zombie apocalypse.

Dr.G.
Oct 16th, 2018, 02:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk

Cute ..............

WCraig
Oct 17th, 2018, 08:50 AM

For multiple reasons,I have never had a Facebook account. Recently, I've noticed a few people announcing that they are deleting their Facebook accounts over privacy and security concerns. Not "everyone" is there. Multiple commentators are questioning the new Facebook screen thingy (with good reason).

Regardless, an always-on microphone in my home from either Amazon or Google is not happening.

Craig

wonderings
Oct 17th, 2018, 09:13 AM
Does the google device offer something similar to the Amazon devices with their "skills"? Have to say it is a great way of giving more and more use to my Echo. Just saw that SiriusXM now has a skill for the Amazon Echo. I added it and can now just say "Alexa play..." and say whatever station i want on Sirius. Also the new echo sub fills out the audio with some nice bass. I am not audiophile, but it sounds great to me especially for a little tube sitting on a table.