: It looks like user and/or non-Apple repairs are now kaput on new MBPros

pm-r
Oct 5th, 2018, 12:21 AM
Apple's New Proprietary Software Locks Kill Independent Repair on New MacBook Pros.

Apple's New Proprietary Software Locks Kill Independent Repair on New MacBook Pros
Failure to run Apple's proprietary diagnostic software after a repair "will result in an inoperative system and an incomplete repair."
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/yw9qk7/macbook-pro-software-locks-prevent-independent-repair

Another Apple restricted era I guess...

- Patrick
======

polywog
Oct 5th, 2018, 01:31 PM
In the case of Touch ID I complete agree with the workflow; I wouldn't want someone stealing my phone, replacing the Touch ID sensor and getting access... On an MBP, not so much.

SINC
Oct 6th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Seems to me this is all part of the 'right to repair' movement evolving in certain areas of the USA now and will surely come to all things in all countries if not halted in its tracks.

Some years back John Deere began making tractors that prevented farmers from doing self repir on the farm and forcing them to deleiver the tractor to a dealer many miles away to replace a simple $10 part that cost the farmer as much as $1,000 or more to truck the tractor on a flatbed to the dealer to install the small part.

Apple's greed is evident here by making products that are all but impossilbe for nyone but Apple or an suthorized delear to repair. It's pur and simple greed that eliminates individuals and repair shops from obtaining the necessary software to reprogram an OS after a parts change.

John Deere now have thousands of hackers who develop ways to bypass their software and allow farmers to do simple repairs right on the farm, a huge black market that charges owners a fee to buy the program to save themselves thousands.

It ought to be outlawed by governments as illegal. People need to rise up and resist this type of goughing by launching their own bid for a 'right to own' devices free from control by Apole or anyone else who try this method.

Just how much damn money does Apple or any large corporation need?

eMacMan
Oct 6th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Seems to me this is all part of the 'right to repair' movement evolving in certain areas of the USA now and will surely come to all things in all countries if not halted in its tracks.

Some years back John Deere began making tractors that prevented farmers from doing self repir on the farm and forcing them to deleiver the tractor to a dealer many miles away to replace a simple $10 part that cost the farmer as much as $1,000 or more to truck the tractor on a flatbed to the dealer to install the small part.

Apple's greed is evident here by making products that are all but impossilbe for nyone but Apple or an suthorized delear to repair. It's pur and simple greed that eliminates individuals and repair shops from obtaining the necessary software to reprogram an OS after a parts change.

John Deere now have thousands of hackers who develop ways to bypass their software and allow farmers to do simple repairs right on the farm, a huge black market that charges owners a fee to buy the program to save themselves thousands.

It ought to be outlawed by governments as illegal. People need to rise up and resist this type of goughing by launching their own bid for a 'right to own' devices free from control by Apole or anyone else who try this method.

Just how much damn money does Apple or any large corporation need?

Since there are other tractors on the market I would bet this has cost John Deere a lot of sales. I can assure Apple I will not buy any product of theirs that is crippled in that manner.

eMacMan
Oct 8th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Which brings us to the new Mac Pros, should they ever come to pass. If they do magically appear we can only hope they do not go John Deere on those as well.

I can't imagine driving 200+ miles round trip to a dealer to upgrade a video card or RAM, or swap out a HD.