: Safari 12 disables extensions, now I see ads :(

TiltAgain
Sep 18th, 2018, 03:13 AM
Just updated Safari, and it disabled all ad blockers and tracker blockers. Now I see ads in all the webpages and it is irritating.

Safari says it disables extensions because they slow the system down; how about the ads themselves - don't they slow the system down?

Yes I know I can use some other browser, but I happen to be among the few who actually prefers Safari!

Bummer.

Cheers

John Clay
Sep 18th, 2018, 08:51 AM
So re-enable the extension, or install one of the new content blockers.

SINC
Sep 18th, 2018, 10:32 AM
Yep, I just re-enabled Ad Blocker and restarted Safari. Done.

I hate it when Apple plays big brother and makes decisions that are mine alone to make. :ptptptptp

pm-r
Sep 18th, 2018, 03:58 PM

I hate it when Apple plays big brother and makes decisions that are mine alone to make. :ptptptptp

I dare say it's going to get worse and of course Apple will say it's to do with "security" and "improve your Apple OS experience".

Yeah, right!!! Not always….

Safari says it disables extensions because they slow the system down;
Really, Apple has actually said that somewhere????

- Patrick
======

SINC
Sep 18th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Really, Apple has actually said that somewhere????
- Patrick
======

Yep they say it right in the Safari prefs when you try to enable Ad Block:

pm-r
Sep 18th, 2018, 04:28 PM
Yep they say it right in the Safari prefs when you try to enable Ad Block:

Son of a gun, how about that. I guess they added that to a later OS than the Mavericks I am using:

SINC
Sep 18th, 2018, 09:28 PM
Not in the OS, only in the Safari 12 prefs far as I can tell, but you DO have to click "enable" to get the message.

pm-r
Sep 18th, 2018, 11:09 PM
but you DO have to click "enable" to get the message.

No such message with Safari 9.1.3 in Mavericks 10.9.5.

And I tried with several Safari extensions.

SINC
Sep 19th, 2018, 05:06 AM
It's a Safari 12 thing..

TiltAgain
Sep 19th, 2018, 01:13 PM
So re-enable the extension, or install one of the new content blockers.

Any suggestions on the new content blockers?

Cheers

pm-r
Sep 19th, 2018, 01:49 PM

Cheers

Go back to using your previous macOS version until all the stuff you need catches up — if Apple will even allow them. :(

- Patrick
======

polywog
Sep 19th, 2018, 03:12 PM

Cheers

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.el1t.uBlock-3NU33NW2M3

John Clay
Sep 19th, 2018, 05:06 PM

Those aren't content blockers. Content blockers are a new type of extension that are bundled with applications.

An example would be Wipr.

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/wipr/id1320666476?mt=12

SINC
Sep 19th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Just do not understand 'going back' to an obsolete OS unless your hardware won't support it. Isn't that counter productive? It seems to me it is more like stubborn resistance to change.

rgray
Sep 19th, 2018, 11:01 PM
No such message with Safari 9.1.3 in Mavericks 10.9.5.

And I tried with several Safari extensions.

if you insist on using an archaic form of the OS you cannot expect the newest features.....?? :confused:

pm-r
Sep 19th, 2018, 11:45 PM
Just do not understand 'going back' to an obsolete OS unless your hardware won't support it. Isn't that counter productive? It seems to me it is more like stubborn resistance to change.

I was NOT suggesting "'going back' to an obsolete OS" at all. Just the previous one or app that worked as expected.

if you insist on using an archaic form of the OS you cannot expect the newest features…..?? :confused:
99.9% of the time I don't need the "new features" and what's the point for those who could if they don't bloody well work properly!!

maximusbibicus
Sep 20th, 2018, 01:02 AM
Just updated Safari, and it disabled all ad blockers and tracker blockers. Now I see ads in all the webpages and it is irritating.

Safari says it disables extensions because they slow the system down; how about the ads themselves - don't they slow the system down?

Yes I know I can use some other browser, but I happen to be among the few who actually prefers Safari!

Bummer.

Cheers

Just go into the App Store and download the ad blocker from there. It was pretty self explanatory and took all of 3 min.

macintosh doctor
Sep 20th, 2018, 12:15 PM
DNS servers
Use these servers to block ads, tracking and phishing
Or use IPv6 addresses
2a00:5a60::ad1:0ff
2a00:5a60::ad2:0ff
Family protection
Default + blocking adult websites + safe search
Or use IPv6 addresses
2a00:5a60::bad1:0ff
2a00:5a60::bad2:0ff

by adguard

TiltAgain
Sep 20th, 2018, 01:35 PM

This, uBlck Origin, is exactly what I normally use, and this is what is also blocked.

Cheers

TiltAgain
Sep 20th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Go back to using your previous macOS version until all the stuff you need catches up — if Apple will even allow them. :(

- Patrick
======

Unfortunately that is not an option now for me :).

Cheers

TiltAgain
Sep 20th, 2018, 01:37 PM
DNS servers
Use these servers to block ads, tracking and phishing
Or use IPv6 addresses
2a00:5a60::ad1:0ff
2a00:5a60::ad2:0ff
Family protection
Default + blocking adult websites + safe search
Or use IPv6 addresses
2a00:5a60::bad1:0ff
2a00:5a60::bad2:0ff

by adguard

Thank you, I shall try these.

Cheers

sch
Sep 20th, 2018, 06:41 PM

Same problem with Safari 12 and running Sierra. Adblock was not still in preferences to enable. I downloaded Adblock Plus but still having ads, so not sure if it is working. Two files where added, Adblock Plus 2.0.1 and Adblock Plus Icon 2.0.1. Adblock Icon says I can control settings within Safari. I do not see where or how.
I seldom use Safari, mainly use Epic and Firefox.
Which version of Ad Blocker did you use? Should I use another free blocker?
Thanks,
Sonny

Edit- OOPS - I just saw the Adblock Icon in the tool bar. Should I allow acceptable ads?

Sonny

SINC
Sep 20th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Edit- OOPS - I just saw the Adblock Icon in the tool bar. Should I allow acceptable ads?

Sonny

I don't YMMV.

sch
Sep 20th, 2018, 11:50 PM
I don't YMMV.

Thanks, I should wear my glasses at 76. No more ads.
What is YMMV?

Sonny

pm-r
Sep 21st, 2018, 12:33 AM
What is YMMV?

Normally it stands for: Your Milage May Vary.

And as google will offer to your question:
"YMMV" stands for "your mileage may vary". It is used as a disclaimer that "this claim for results will be different for every person". It is commonly used when answering technical-type questions in online conversations.

- Patrick
======

polywog
Sep 21st, 2018, 05:32 AM
This, uBlck Origin, is exactly what I normally use, and this is what is also blocked.

Cheers

I'm not sure I understand. I'm running Majove, and I installed directly from that link without any issues? There's still a 'slowdown' warning in the preference pane, but I should haven't noticed a slowdown.

CubaMark
Sep 21st, 2018, 08:52 AM
I've been using Ghostery for a few years now, and find it quite helpful in blocking ads, tracking, etc.

It works under Safari 12: Ghostery (https://www.ghostery.com/faqs/ghostery-vanished-from-safari-12-how-do-i-get-it-back/).

macintosh doctor
Sep 21st, 2018, 05:57 PM
I've been using Ghostery for a few years now, and find it quite helpful in blocking ads, tracking, etc.

It works under Safari 12: Ghostery (https://www.ghostery.com/faqs/ghostery-vanished-from-safari-12-how-do-i-get-it-back/).

problem with Apps vs DNS servers.. i find apps use up processing power and cause issues with sites. When i use DNS servers, they blocked it before it reaches you, meaning less power and bandwidth required to the same job.

TiltAgain
Sep 22nd, 2018, 09:48 AM
I'm not sure I understand. I'm running Majove, and I installed directly from that link without any issues? There's still a 'slowdown' warning in the preference pane, but I should haven't noticed a slowdown.

I already had this blocker running, it got disabled by Safari saying it will slow down the system. I re-enabled it, got the warning again, ignored it.

I did not ned to download it again.

]My original response to you was merely emphasising the=at what you suggested was indeed the blocker I was using and that it did give me the warning, that's all.

Cheers

polywog
Sep 22nd, 2018, 11:58 AM
I already had this blocker running, it got disabled by Safari saying it will slow down the system. I re-enabled it, got the warning again, ignored it.

I did not ned to download it again.

]My original response to you was merely emphasising the=at what you suggested was indeed the blocker I was using and that it did give me the warning, that's all.

Cheers

Gotcha, I was under the impression that the link was a more recent version than what was in the store. My bad.