: Comparison shopping

Macfury
Sep 14th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Was trying to fix a malfunctioning microwave oven and the part I needed is a specific door switch--easy install.

Purchased as a microwave oven part, I could buy it on Amazon Canada for $148.10 each. A local parts supplier was offering a pair for $71 plus $16 delivery. A hole-in-the wall parts place I regularly use was selling the identical switch for... $3.95.

I find it amazing that in an Internet-enabled age, such price disparities are still common.

eMacMan
Sep 14th, 2018, 11:14 AM
I have heard speculation, that when you find a price that out of whack on Amazon, or eBay, it might be related to money laundering. Not sure how it works, but who knows?

Macfury
Sep 14th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I have heard speculation, that when you find a price that out of whack on Amazon, or eBay, it might be related to money laundering. Not sure how it works, but who knows?

I guess that's possible. Still, the local price disparity is 25-fold.

BReligion
Sep 14th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Was trying to fix a malfunctioning microwave oven and the part I needed is a specific door switch--easy install.

Purchased as a microwave oven part, I could buy it on Amazon Canada for $148.10 each. A local parts supplier was offering a pair for $71 plus $16 delivery. A hole-in-the wall parts place I regularly use was selling the identical switch for... $3.95.

I find it amazing that in an Internet-enabled age, such price disparities are still common.

I think with Amazon or eBay you need to look at the Seller... I have seen all kinds of stuff people are selling on Amazon that is waaaay out of line for a logical price of the item (or even what the manufacturer is selling it for).

This goes without saying that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.... and desperate enough, not knowing enough or just to lazy to look, those prices may make sense to some people.

I know a few independent business owners that you can make have a near stroke if you tell them when buying or trying to sell them based on "on eBay it's selling for xxxxxx" :lmao:

BReligion

Macfury
Sep 14th, 2018, 04:19 PM
I know a few independent business owners that you can make have a near stroke if you tell them when buying or trying to sell them based on "on eBay it's selling for xxxxxx" :lmao:

BReligion

My answer to that one--they're ASKING that much. How many are they selling at that price?

eMacMan
Sep 14th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Good day to have brought that up. Now that the smoke has cleared was looking to replace the air filter and do an oil change on the mini van. One place AF was $27, OF was $19. Second location AF $13, OF $8. Different brands but quality was certainly comparable.

BReligion
Sep 15th, 2018, 12:55 AM
My answer to that one--they're ASKING that much. How many are they selling at that price?

Oh 1000%... and that’s their answer... that and good luck with your sale on eBay.

Prime example, sister in law had some Star Wars game she got super excited about. She won these things in a kind of auction years ago. Figured they would be worth something so she looked on ebay. It’s up on eBay for $100 to $250. I have a friend who is an avid toy collector and in the biz. Said “sadly I see those at all the shows for $50, and never in anyone's hands...”

BReligion

smashedbanana
Sep 15th, 2018, 02:46 AM
Nobody repairs anything anymore. So that is one issue.

Amazon prices sky rocket on discontinued, out of stock, difficult to source and other items.

I think it has to do with them still wanting the search traffic directed but not the order on that item.

Macfury
Sep 15th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Somebody once gave me an original unrolled Empire Strikes Back poster as the movie was coming out. I think $100 is the best price i've ever heard for it--asking price, not selling.

I also have a boxed Jabba the Hutt that I put on my desk years ago to protest a workplace office decoration policy. I bought it at a discount place sending end-of-line merchandise for $1.99. Probably doubled my investment on that one!

Oh 1000%... and that’s their answer... that and good luck with your sale on eBay.

Prime example, sister in law had some Star Wars game she got super excited about. She won these things in a kind of auction years ago. Figured they would be worth something so she looked on ebay. It’s up on eBay for $100 to $250. I have a friend who is an avid toy collector and in the biz. Said “sadly I see those at all the shows for $50, and never in anyone's hands...”

BReligion

pm-r
Sep 15th, 2018, 02:07 PM

A good reason to check and shop locally and I have found the same thing to be true quite often, especially for appliance parts — if they even exist and can be used for a repair.

Purchased as a microwave oven part, I could buy it on Amazon Canada for $148.10 each.
And I wouldn't be surprised if one couldn't purchase a new replacement microwave oven for the same amount or less.

As mentioned, how do they ever sell such parts at such a high price???

Crazy yes!!!

Macfury
Sep 15th, 2018, 03:43 PM
I just picked up the patrs this morning for $3.95--they were real!

pm-r
Sep 15th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I just picked up the patrs this morning for $3.95--they were real!

Now that's a more realistic price if not super reasonable.

A local appliance supply store listed the dishwasher pump cover SS screws I needed at $6.40 each!! Nothing really special, but luckily the repair guy I got to help with the fix had some but sure didn't charge anywhere close to that amount, if he even charged anything for them.

I couldn't do the work due to my very bad back condition.

Glad you got the parts you wanted and needed for a decent cheap price.

Macfury
Sep 15th, 2018, 05:12 PM
Now that's a more realistic price if not super reasonable.

A local appliance supply store listed the dishwasher pump cover SS screws I needed at $6.40 each!! Nothing really special, but luckily the repair guy I got to help with the fix had some but sure didn't charge anywhere close to that amount, if he even charged anything for them.

I couldn't do the work due to my very bad back condition.

Glad you got the parts you wanted and needed for a decent cheap price.

Good for you!

I got a new dehumidifier for nothing at the end of a church rummage sale last year. The problem was that the default for the unit was to leak water out of a hose outlet in back. Only if it was plugged would water drain into the pan. With delivery, the plug would be $23.00.

I made my own out of a nickel and two garden hose gaskets.

pm-r
Sep 15th, 2018, 05:48 PM
I made my own out of a nickel and two garden hose gaskets.

Clever!! :clap: :clap: :lmao: