: Installing a new OS

Brianhasamac
Aug 19th, 2018, 01:04 PM
Fist off, I would like to thanks all the members who have help me out here in the past. This is such a great place to get information. So cheers to you all!

I have created a new partition on my hard drive in order to create a new OS. Could some one please guide me to a link where I can get detailed directions and a download and bootable OS? I would like to be running the latest High Sierra.

My system is a Late 2013 27inch Imac.

This is all the result of a problem on my existing OS, which will not allow me to update.

SINC
Aug 19th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Here is the latest combo update from Apple for High Sierra:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1970?locale=en_CA

Brianhasamac
Aug 19th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I have downloaded the recommended file 3 times but keep getting this message:

macOSUpdCombo10.1 corrupt

Also, it is not clear to me that I can do a NEW installation on a fresh partition in order to have a dual boot OS using a Combo update? Can this be done? Is there a reason that I am getting a corrupt file from an official MAC site? Should I down load this file directly to the new partition and open it from there?

SINC
Aug 19th, 2018, 04:17 PM
Sorry my fault you cant upgrade my bad. Go to the App Store and download HS from there. Sheesh what was I thinking!

pm-r
Aug 19th, 2018, 04:33 PM
My system is a Late 2013 27inch Imac.

This is all the result of a problem on my existing OS, which will not allow me to update.

First off, what OS X version are you currently using???

That can make a difference on the upgrade path you'll need to take.

Assuming you're at least using Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, you might want to use Restore OS X in the Recovery HD and fix your existing problem(s).

Or at least download and use the Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion COMBO Update.
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1676?locale=en_CA

- Patrick
======

Brianhasamac
Aug 19th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Thanks SINC for the clarification.

Hi PM-R,

Thanks for your response.

Currently I am on 10.9.5. However I cannot update it. I have tried a host of suggestions of how I might be able to get it to upgrade but none of them have been successful.
So I have created a new partition and am wanting to create a new OS on it. The idea is to keep my current OS, (because it has a lot of software on that may or may not run on HS).

I want to start fresh with a new OS (like it is a brand new Computer)

"Regarding the recovery HD"

Could I use this to install an OX on my new partition and then upgrade to HS? I am reluctant to try this because I am worried that I will loos my current OS.

Thoughts?

pm-r
Aug 19th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Could I use this to install an OX on my new partition and then upgrade to HS? I am reluctant to try this because I am worried that I will loos my current OS.

I don't see why not but just be aware as to what partition it would install on.

You shouldn't loose anything from your current partition but you'd be crazy to be fiddling around with stuff if you don't have a current up to date and working backup.

And I'd strongly recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) to make an existing and bootable clone. That will also help preserve all your data plus it can be used as a boot drive to duplicate what you're currently using. Or just use it as an archived system, your choice once its created.

- Patrick
======

Brianhasamac
Aug 19th, 2018, 10:14 PM
Thanks Patrick,

I do have a time machine backup but I will take you advice and build a CCC backup as well. Il give this all a whirl and see where it takes me.

Cheers.