: Timothy Leary and the 2017 15" MacBook Pro

MonMonque
Jul 21st, 2018, 06:20 PM
I discovered some very peculiar behaviour with the 2017 MacBook Pro (15", touch bar model). When I booted into safe boot mode, I would get lots of non-Apple-like horizontal banding and flickering during the boot process and login screen. Then, if I went back to the login screen, the colours would be inverted. Upon logging in again, the screen would display in a bizarre sort of LSD trippy way. It defies description – see the attached pic. The actual desktop is a picture with orange-brown grass and lots of blue sky.

Okay, the two Apple reps that saw it told me it was a motherboard issue and so I got the MB replaced (they also replaced the "top case," which basically means I have a brand new computer aside from the display :-/ ).

I've got the new computer back, and out of curiosity, went through the steps to reproduce the problem. Turns out, replacing the motherboard didn't fix the issue, I am seeing the exact same visual glitches.

Does anyone out there have one of these machines? Can you reproduce this? I'm wondering if it's a built in design flaw or maybe I'm just really unlucky with AppleCare repairs (long story, but I have the current machine as a replacement for one of the ill-fated 2011 MacBooks with the graphics chip failure – four failed motherboards on that one and I was able to convince them that they owed me a new computer).

Again, the sequence is
• safe boot (start up with the shift key held down)
• go back to the login screen (are the colours inverted?)

I'd appreciate hearing from you either way (problems or no).

Thanks!

pm-r
Jul 22nd, 2018, 03:23 PM
I've got the new computer back, and out of curiosity, went through the steps to reproduce the problem. Turns out, replacing the motherboard didn't fix the issue, I am seeing the exact same visual glitches.

Be sure to let the Apple techs know and get them to record it as well — for your future protection.

Some google searching provide various graphics problems with those Macs, but not quite the same from what I found.

What macOS version are you running??
And personally I'd download and run the latest COMBO Update for that version even if it is up to date.

Also, I'd suggest trying the PRAM an NVRAM resets. It might help considering it got a replacement logicboard.

- Patrick
======

MonMonque
Jul 22nd, 2018, 09:38 PM
Thanks, Patrick – Just got back from the Apple Store, where this time the Genius was of the opinion that it looked weird but probably wasn't an indication of a real problem. Interesting that two other Apple Support people thought it merited a logic board replacement. I made sure that he added the visit to the service record for this Mac, just in case.

Anyway, I am going to follow your suggestion to apply the combo updater (I'm still on OS 10.12), just to see what happens.

MM

pm-r
Jul 22nd, 2018, 11:04 PM
Thanks, Patrick – Just got back from the Apple Store, where this time the Genius was of the opinion that it looked weird but probably wasn't an indication of a real problem.

Hmmm…??? Maybe he's still on and using some of that Tim's acid or equivalent. :D :rolleyes:

- Patrick
======

MonMonque
Jul 22nd, 2018, 11:26 PM
His take on it was that safe boot mode doesn't enable all aspects of the graphics card (any distortions of the explanation are due to my foggy memory), so some display glitches are normal.

MM

pm-r
Jul 22nd, 2018, 11:43 PM
His take on it was that safe boot mode doesn't enable all aspects of the graphics card (any distortions of the explanation are due to my foggy memory), so some display glitches are normal.

MM

That's partially true, but not to the extent that your MBPro is displaying AFAIK.

See this:
Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT203889

In each of these modes, the graphics performance of your Mac is limited. This is expected behavior. You might see these differences in graphics performance until you restart your Mac or log in to a regular user account:

- Patrick
======

MonMonque
Jul 22nd, 2018, 11:58 PM
That link definitely covers the first two glitches I was seeing, namely the banding and flickering. I agree that the more extreme stuff I see later is not exactly listed there, unless it's under "video anomalies"...

I'm still hoping to hear from someone with this machine that can reproduce this!