: Your connection is not secure

krs
Jul 12th, 2018, 11:25 PM
In the last few days I'm starting to get this error message - complete message is attached.

Initially it happened when I wanted to use paypal to pay for an order from a store in the US, so I contacted them assuming it's an issue on thier side. but just now, I bought something on ebay.com and get the same message when trying to pay.

The strange thing is that I bought three items from ebay earlier today and used paypal - no problem
For the last purchased all I did change the shipping address in paypal to one that was already registered and now I have the problem.

This issue happened with Firefox - since Firefox Quantum is a bit screwed uo I tried using Waterfox, same problem.
Then tried Chrome - still the same problem.

When googling, the Mozilla support team seems to blame the various anti-virus programs; I don't have any on my Mac.
Then they give a link to bypass the message but the link just repeats the blame of the anti-virus programs.

Anyone have that issue and knows what is going on?

krs
Jul 12th, 2018, 11:44 PM
When I click on advanced in the window I attached, I get this:

www.paypal.com uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is only valid for the following names: *.adnxs.com, adnxs.com
Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Does that mean the connection to paypal.com is somehow being intercepted?

krs
Jul 13th, 2018, 12:42 AM
I just tried logging into paypal directly - same message

Then I tried the Maxthon browser, it brings this up:
This webpage is not available
The connection to www.paypal.com was interrupted.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.
Add Maxthon as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: See more benefits of signing in to Maxthon.
Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset.

SINC
Jul 13th, 2018, 05:34 AM
I just tried logging in to PayPal with Safari. All is normal.

polywog
Jul 13th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Could be a dns hijack. Who provides your DNS?
Also worth checking your local DNS settings, and your /etc/hosts to see if they've been tampered with.

krs
Jul 13th, 2018, 01:25 PM
I'm a bit confused now...

To start with, paypal was fine again after midnight and it's also OK this morning.
I had no problem with any other sites

But...
When I just looked at the DNS servers in Network preferences, it shows 192.168.1.1 dimmed
Nothing else
That is the IP address of the router here.

I'm currently at a different location than normal - but I have been here many times before and used this router and set up
At home the DNS servers are 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 which are google.
Here I guess it's the DNS services provided by the ISP

Anything I should be worried about?
I have been accessing my bank accounts from here in the last few days

krs
Jul 13th, 2018, 01:37 PM
OK - further to what I just posted.

The location in Network preferences was set to the name of my cellphone.
No clue how or when that happened.

I just changed it to "Automatic" and now the DNS server entries do show 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8

So I guess the Mac software is smart enough to ignore that Cellphone name setting otherwise I wouldn't be able to access the internet at all.
I'm going to leave it at "Automatic" for now to see if there are any problems.

I know when I want to use the Mac on the Via train, one needs to use a setting where the DNS servers are not assiged to a fixed DNS server but one needs to let Via assigne them. That is a setting I called "Public WiFi" and I have to use that in some public places.

krs
Jul 13th, 2018, 03:22 PM
I don't believe it!

When I tried to log into my paypal account right now, I get that original message again.

I also received a call from one of the ebayers I bought from that he received the paypal money I paid, but on ebay it still shows the item I purchased as available. He says he can't change that and ebay and paypal tell him just to send me the money back and ask me to buy the item again.
So I see his refund and purchased the item again.

Then I get a message that I forgot one item in my ebay shopping bag.
I remember it being paid for via paypal earlier, but now, when I wanted to double check I get that firefox message again about paypal.
What an ongoing screw up