: Apple watch display steps instead of calories?

wonderings
Jun 26th, 2018, 11:35 AM
I have the Apple Watch 3. One thing I do not like is that for the rings it displays calories burned based on movement. I would like the ring to display steps to know how close I am to that goal. Google searching did not bring up any answers. Is this really not an option? The one thing I like about the fitbit was the step counter and a goal to easily set for how many steps a day you want to take. If this is not here it seems like a real misstep from Apple as this is way easier to try and achieve then a calorie burn wheel.

polywog
Jun 26th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Steps without context isn't much of an indicator. It's a pity though that you can't add steps a complication. Or at least I couldn't find it.

SINC
Jun 27th, 2018, 06:14 AM
I too detest those stupid rings and simply disable the entire Activity app. I also want just steps and the easiest way is to download the 'Pedometer' app. It tells you steps toward your target and also stair levels climbed in a day. At least it works well for me. It is a lime green icon with a person walking, sorry the pic did not load. Have reported the issue but no one has fixed it yet.

wonderings
Jun 27th, 2018, 09:46 AM
I too detest those stupid rings and simply disable the entire Activity app. I also want just steps and the easiest way is to download the 'Pedometer' app. It tells you steps toward your target and also stair levels climbed in a day. At least it works well for me. It is a lime green icon with a person walking, sorry the pic did not load. Have reported the issue but no one has fixed it yet.

Thanks will check that out. Apple just seems so engrained in doing things their own way they miss some basic simple little things people want. Can be very frustrating.

BReligion
Jun 27th, 2018, 10:50 AM
You guys should check out the Carrot Rewards App (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/carrot-rewards/id1057346824?mt=8).

Residents of ON, BC, NL, and soon all Canadians can start living healthier with Carrot Rewards.* Collect SCENE® points, Aeroplan® Miles, Petro-Points™, or More Rewards® points by completing surveys, quizzes and learning about how to lead healthier lives. Participants using iOS 9 or above or iPhone 5S or newer can also connect their phones to Apple Health to track their daily activity and be rewarded for achieving daily step goals.

All offers are designed by sources you can trust like the BC Ministry of Health, Newfoundland and Labrador Government, the Heart and Stroke Foundation, the Canadian Diabetes Association, and YMCA.

New and exciting offers come out every week. Create an account, invite friends and start earning! Don’t live in ON, BC or NL? Stay tuned for our national rollout!

It basically monitors yours steps for a week then sets you a goal.. and if you hit that daily step goal you get a few points for the program you have it linked to. I have it linked up to my Scene card and have gotten about 2500 points or so since I started up... As you reach your goal a number of times it increases the goal periodically. They also have a social aspect of you can link up with friends see their progress.. do joint challenges etc.

It links to both Fitbit and/or your phone for your preferred step tracking... I have it linked to my phone which I have my Apple watches activity linked so yeah it technically is linked to the watch via Activity

Sorry SINC, hopefully AB will be next on the roll out!

BReligion

SINC
Jun 27th, 2018, 02:33 PM
You guys should check out the Carrot Rewards App (https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/carrot-rewards/id1057346824?mt=8).

It basically monitors yours steps for a week then sets you a goal.. and if you hit that daily step goal you get a few points for the program you have it linked to. I have it linked up to my Scene card and have gotten about 2500 points or so since I started up... As you reach your goal a number of times it increases the goal periodically. They also have a social aspect of you can link up with friends see their progress.. do joint challenges etc.

It links to both Fitbit and/or your phone for your preferred step tracking... I have it linked to my phone which I have my Apple watches activity linked so yeah it technically is linked to the watch via Activity

Sorry SINC, hopefully AB will be next on the roll out!

BReligion

Actually if it sets goals for me BR, I am not very interested. I much prefer to set my own distance goals and gradually increase it depending on the condition of my hip which can give me great pain when walking at times. I can even reduce my goal for a couple weeks if it flairs up. Thanks for the link though, I will take a look at it and as I mentioned earlier, Apple just does not get it that the silly rings just don't work for too many people.

BReligion
Jun 29th, 2018, 09:40 AM
Actually if it sets goals for me BR, I am not very interested. I much prefer to set my own distance goals and gradually increase it depending on the condition of my hip which can give me great pain when walking at times. I can even reduce my goal for a couple weeflairs up.

Absolutely true.. not much use if you want full control.. but it would be interesting to see what it's calculated goal would be against the goal you set, and again when it re-cacls based on your activity if say your having a bad week with your hip.... and hey free rewards are free rewards :)

BReligion

wonderings
Jun 29th, 2018, 11:13 AM

I did download this and it is exactly what I was looking for. So simple and yet Apple missed the boat on it. Anyways thanks for the suggestion much appreciated.