: Can I search for terms within an email message?

krs
Jun 13th, 2018, 09:47 PM
I'm using Apple Mail with OS 10.11.6

Is it possible to search for text within the email messages themselves?
Googled for that and checked Mail preferences but could not find a way to do that.

TiltAgain
Jun 14th, 2018, 02:17 AM
Well, I tried a quick search for a specific term that is within an email, and Spotlight showed that email. So, I am guessing, there house not be any problem for you - unless I am not quite understanding your specific meaning?

Cheers

krs
Jun 14th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Thanks TA,

I guess I should have been a bit more specific.

For instance - I had sent an mail a few months ago with Joe Doe's address in the text.
Now I need that address again so I'm trying to find that email in my sent box

If I type "Joe Doe Address" into the search field, from what I see I get
All emails sent to Joe Doe (which I know will not include his address), I also seem to get any email that has Joe or Doe or Address in it.

I want to find the specific email (or emails) that have the term Joe Doe's Address in the body of the email to get his address again.
I tried using the AND operator in the search but that didn't work.

pm-r
Jun 14th, 2018, 05:09 PM
I guess I should have been a bit more specific.

For instance - I had sent an mail a few months ago with Joe Doe's address in the text.
Now I need that address again so I'm trying to find that email in my sent box

When using Mail's search function, it should provide a dropdown as to where it should look, such as From or To address and it also provides an option you have to select for where, like All or a particular mailbox.

For other Mac OS X searches, have a look and try either or both:
Find Any File.app
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File (http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php)
and
EasyFind.app
https://www.devontechnologies.com

PS: Mail's search functions are almost next to basic useless and as the kids would say it sucks, big time!!!

PPS: Find Any File has a preference to keep recent searches available, so you could set it up so that a mail search only searches in your mail folder for example. FAF nor EF does not use ant parts of Apples Spotlight indexing and can be very precise and they can also search and find everywhere, something that Spotlight (aka Stoplight) doesn't do.

- Patrick
======

krs
Jun 14th, 2018, 06:29 PM
I tried FAF

It doesn't seem to find anything in an email - not even an email subject if I use that as the search term.

pm-r
Jun 14th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I tried FAF

It doesn't seem to find anything in an email - not even an email subject if I use that as the search term.

Then I'm guessing that Mac OS X 11. and Mail changed something so try some Googling searches for searching Mail's email I guess.