: LTE calls over WiFi

macintosh doctor
Jun 11th, 2018, 01:43 PM
so that was interesting -
i have enabled LTE over wifi on my iPhone as in some areas - LTE is horrid so the calls are automatically transferred to your wifi connection.. brilliant. but bad news.

I put my iPhone into airplane mode - because i wanted 3 mins of sanity from all the calls..
then my iPhone rang!!!!! - i blurted out WTF!?! - how am i getting calls?
then i remembered LTE over wifi is on.. d'oh..
so much for total peace and off grid for 3 mins a day.

John Clay
Jun 11th, 2018, 11:47 PM
"LTE calls over WiFi" isn't a thing.

The call is either over LTE, or it's over WiFi. It can't be both.

polywog
Jun 12th, 2018, 08:18 AM
"LTE calls over WiFi" isn't a thing.

The call is either over LTE, or it's over WiFi. It can't be both.

True that. Actually, given the state of VoLTE in Canada, calls over LTE isn't a thing everywhere, either :)

macintosh doctor
Jun 12th, 2018, 01:58 PM
check your settings under cellular - wifi calling. I have it enabled. so any calls while i am on wifi are switched to wifi.

John Clay
Jun 12th, 2018, 02:33 PM
check your settings under cellular - wifi calling. I have it enabled. so any calls while i am on wifi are switched to wifi.

Yup. That's called WiFi Calling - not LTE over WiFi.

macintosh doctor
Jun 13th, 2018, 06:14 PM
Yup. That's called WiFi Calling - not LTE over WiFi.

my point is when that is enabled you will still receive calls even with airplane mode on and wifi on

WCraig
Jun 14th, 2018, 07:21 AM
my point is when that is enabled you will still receive calls even with airplane mode on and wifi on

When would it ever make sense to turn wifi back on while in "Airplane Mode"? The point of Airplane Mode is to turn off ALL wireless systems.

Craig

macintosh doctor
Jun 15th, 2018, 01:17 PM
When would it ever make sense to turn wifi back on while in "Airplane Mode"? The point of Airplane Mode is to turn off ALL wireless systems.

Craig

there are many reasons
- when traveling in the US for the day - we have airplane mode on and communicate by wifi
for sip, emails and FaceTime etc
- when in meetings or place of worship - i have it in airplane mode but wifi on..

BReligion
Jun 15th, 2018, 03:19 PM

Craig

Okay... not to be Captain Obvious... but on an airplane if you wanted to use inflight WiFi? :lmao:

BReligion

macintosh doctor
Jun 15th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Okay... not to be Captain Obvious... but on an airplane if you wanted to use inflight WiFi? :lmao:

BReligion

it would be the only time i actually do the opposite. i leave it in LTE mode, because the crappy planes that air canada uses to fly out east - its seats 10 and flies 800 ft above ground - so most of the time i get LTE and surf lol

Moscool
Jul 20th, 2018, 09:35 AM
I had this switched on a few years ago but ended up canning it: It would grab any crappy wifi signal out there (including in cafés) and switch over: cue for bad calls, lost calls etc. Only use was on the London Tube which has wifi in most deep train stations but no 4G.

macintosh doctor
Jul 21st, 2018, 12:20 PM
I had this switched on a few years ago but ended up canning it: It would grab any crappy wifi signal out there (including in cafés) and switch over: cue for bad calls, lost calls etc. Only use was on the London Tube which has wifi in most deep train stations but no 4G.

very true but i have a 10 GB LTE package so i avoid "cafe" wifis etc but only use more stable ones, that are managed and maintained.