: OS 10.11 bootable installer

yeeeha
Jun 6th, 2018, 07:53 PM
My friend bought a refurb late-2015 model of 27-in. iMac earlier today. He doesn't know what OS is pre-installed on the machine. I looked up the model. When Apple first issued the iMac it came with OS 10.11.

Should one day my friend needs to reinstall OS 10.11, where is he going to get the installer? I know how to create a bootable OS installer and have made one for OS 10.11 for myself. He can use my copy of bootable installer to do the reinstallation. But my friend lives a few hours of driving distance from me, so it might be wise for him to have a bootable installer that he can use in case of emergency and I give him instructions over the phone.

CubaMark
Jun 6th, 2018, 08:05 PM
Apple has made El Capitan (10.11) available for download, even if you don't have it listed in your Mac App Store purchases:

How to download OS X El Capitan (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886)
OS X El Capitan remains available for Mac computers that can't upgrade to macOS High Sierra, or that need to upgrade to El Capitan first.

yeeeha
Jun 6th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Thanks CubaMark.

I see that the file is OS 10.11.6, and is 6.21GB large. That must be the installer with all the security updates too?

pm-r
Jun 7th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Thanks CubaMark.

I see that the file is OS 10.11.6, and is 6.21GB large. That must be the installer with all the security updates too?

Not necessarily.

Always run the Software Update after any OS X install, and do so repeatedly until no more are listed.

Assuming one wants all the updates that might be available.

Should one day my friend needs to reinstall OS 10.11, where is he going to get the installer?
Just make a copy of the installer before running it if it's sitting in the Applications folder, and keep it somewhere safe.