: Time Machine Restore Becomes Glacial

Gene B
Jun 3rd, 2018, 11:24 AM
What are the reasons that a Time Machine restore becomes slower than molasses?

Over a period of around 14 to 16 hours, the restore speed went from about 50MB/s, where it was for a couple of hours, gradually down to 2MB/s. And the time of completion went from about 2 hours, to the 19 hours that are now shown.

The restore has progressed to about half way in about 22 hours.

I have already spent a good three hours total searching for any recent reasons or solutions, with no viable reasons or solutions.

This question has been up on the Apple forums for over an hour. Four views, no answers.

eMacMan
Jun 3rd, 2018, 12:41 PM
I have always viewed TimeMachine as a bad back-up strategy. Just too many ways for it to fail. I will be interested to hear if the restore fails or succeeds, given what you've told us.

I like to maintain a separate partition for all of my personal stuff. Only the OS is on the boot partition. I use Super Duper (could use CCC) to make a disk image of the boot partition about every 2 months to back up the OS. You can also do clones. Either way the secondary partition with all my files is then just drag and drop to another HD. That is done monthly. Daily back-ups of active files to a memory stick.

Last time I had to do a full OS recovery it took about 15minutes, as my files were all intact and it was just the OS that was suspect.

monokitty
Jun 3rd, 2018, 04:13 PM
Bad internal drive, bad TM drive, corrupt backup, lot of possibilities. But it's definitely not a TM problem if it never finishes.

hexdiy
Jun 3rd, 2018, 06:44 PM
What are the reasons that a Time Machine restore becomes slower than molasses?

Over a period of around 14 to 16 hours, the restore speed went from about 50MB/s, where it was for a couple of hours, gradually down to 2MB/s. And the time of completion went from about 2 hours, to the 19 hours that are now shown.

The restore has progressed to about half way in about 22 hours.

I have already spent a good three hours total searching for any recent reasons or solutions, with no viable reasons or solutions.

This question has been up on the Apple forums for over an hour. Four views, no answers.
Which Mac model do you have? Prime usual suspect is the internal SATA cable for 2010-2012 13" A 1278 MBPs, see this thread:

https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-iphone-ipad-ipod-help-troubleshooting/152737-2010-macbook-pro-issues.html

Good luck!