: Apple continues its slide into Oblivion

eMacMan
May 13th, 2018, 09:27 PM
https://www.digitaltrends.com/apple/macbook-pro-ownes-recall-keyboard/

Let's be brutal Apple has had problem machines in the past. The first generation eMac comes to mind. But up until now they have usually taken the hit and made things right, before someone had time to put a class action lawsuit together.

Looks like the times they are a changin'.

pm-r
May 14th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Let's be brutal Apple has had problem machines in the past.

No need to be brutal, just being honest is showing the way of the NEW Apple.
Only the super serious Apple Fanboys are in denial and not in really in touch with reality.

As for class action lawsuits, no shortage there as a quick websearch on 'apple total number of class action lawsuit' will show:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=apple+total+number+of+class+action+lawsuit&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

But I'm thankful they replaced my kaput 2007 MBPro logic board under an extended repair extension that I just squeezed under thanks to a good local Authorized Apple Tech. But that was eleven years ago and Steve Jobs was still alive and active, if that had anything to do with the recall.

Regardless, as stated, things do seem to be a changin', and not exactly for the better.

Sloppy programming and dropping some software features also seems to be a current trend, but hard to sue for that, even in the sue/lawsuit crazy US!!

lebeau99
May 18th, 2018, 12:51 PM
It does seem to be happening alright. My grandson is on about it all the time, suggesting I change platforms. My only response up to now is that I donít want to. Feeble really.
If a person did accept change, what would you change to? MS is out of the question. For me anyway.
David

pm-r
May 18th, 2018, 02:08 PM
It does seem to be happening alright. My grandson is on about it all the time, suggesting I change platforms.

I dare say that many grandsons are into gaming, and the Mac and its OS is not the best for that I'm told.

But to get other normal things done better, the Mac OS usually wins with most polls.

Personally I prefer and find using an older OS version works better for me, but I don't need or use nor depend on all the iDevice and integrated stuff either.

One thing I find quite surprising is how many switchers there are switching from Windows to Mac usually.

What does your grandson say about that, and those are actual facts!!! ;-)

It's not the perfect OS, but one that suits many and its still growing with new users, and many fed up with the other OS choices.

- Patrick
======

polywog
May 19th, 2018, 06:48 AM
If a person did accept change, what would you change to? MS is out of the question. For me anyway.
David

That really depends on what you use your computer for. There are lots of nice Linux desktop distros that are very useable. However the commercial software support really isn't there. So, you'll be learning both a new operating system, and new applications.

There are quite a few articles on switching from OS X to Linux out there.

I recommend downloading a live DVD and booting from that. Let's you "try before you buy."

I dare say that many grandsons are into gaming, and the Mac and its OS is not the best for that I'm told.

The OS is fine. Up until recently video cards were too anaemic to handle anything but simple (or really old) games. And, a lot of the decent games out there aren't ported directly, they're wrapped in a compatibility layer (wineskin for example) that lets a windows game run in OS X.

pm-r
May 19th, 2018, 12:25 PM
The OS is fine. Up until recently video cards were too anaemic to handle anything but simple (or really old) games. And, a lot of the decent games out there aren't ported directly, they're wrapped in a compatibility layer (wineskin for example) that lets a windows game run in OS X.

I don't do games, but I'm led to believe the recent Macs will support games very well with the latest macOS and the new Metal environment with better graphics cards.

But I have no idea if that would interest lebeau99 or not, but more likely his grandson if he could get over his OS bias. ;-)

- Patrick
======

HowEver
May 19th, 2018, 05:56 PM
I've used keyboards on recent MacBook Pros, and MacBooks, and that insignificant sample has been perfectly fine. Branding all 2016 Mac keyboards, in the class action suit, as "defective" seems kind of excessive doesn't it?

pm-r
May 19th, 2018, 06:52 PM
I've used keyboards on recent MacBook Pros, and MacBooks, and that insignificant sample has been perfectly fine. Branding all 2016 Mac keyboards, in the class action suit, as "defective" seems kind of excessive doesn't it?

And especially so considering so many of those "defective" sticking keyboards have been found that the cause was usually dirt buildup which I would think would be rather embarrassing to the users that they let things get to such a state. :confused: :(

- Patrick
======