: OSX updating issues.

Brianhasamac
May 9th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Hello all,

I have a late 2013 27"Imac with Mavrics 10.9.5. Since I have had the Imac I was falsely assuming that it was automatically upgrading the OS. This is particularly embarrassing because Im fairly tech savvy.

In any case I ran the Update to Sierra which it says it has installed. But Im still running 10.9.5.
I have tried most of the fixes that I could find in various forums including re installing Mavrics.
Could someone point me into a solid direction for how I can successfully get this updated.
If I had fewer things on my machine I would just start over but it would take weeks to get this all back to where it is now.
Please help!

rgray
May 9th, 2018, 05:15 PM
Sounds suspisciously like you don't have any sort of backup....??!?

Get an external drive and create a Time Machine backup (there is also other kinds of backup),

Create a USB installer for HighSierra - lots of instructions all overthe web.

The wie the iMac drive completely and runthe installer from your USB.

Then reel back you stuff from the backup.

monokitty
May 9th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Hello all,

I have a late 2013 27"Imac with Mavrics 10.9.5. Since I have had the Imac I was falsely assuming that it was automatically upgrading the OS. This is particularly embarrassing because Im fairly tech savvy.

In any case I ran the Update to Sierra which it says it has installed. But Im still running 10.9.5.
I have tried most of the fixes that I could find in various forums including re installing Mavrics.
Could someone point me into a solid direction for how I can successfully get this updated.
If I had fewer things on my machine I would just start over but it would take weeks to get this all back to where it is now.
Please help!

You probably only downloaded the update, not installed it. You can find the installer under Applications. Run it from there.

pm-r
May 9th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Sounds suspisciously like you don't have any sort of backup....??!?

Get an external drive and create a Time Machine backup (there is also other kinds of backup),

+1!!! For Gods sake follow rgray's suggestion, and I'd suggest using CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) if you aren't doing so already.

PS: I've never needed or bothered using any USB installer and don't understand the logic for doing so. Especially with a bootable clone available.

Brianhasamac
May 9th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I do have Time a machine backup but haver never tried to rebuild the system from it. I will look into all your suggestions and see where I end up.

Thanks again, Fingers crossed.

pm-r
May 9th, 2018, 11:40 PM
Thank you all for your suggestions. I do have Time a machine backup but haver never tried to rebuild the system from it.

You might want to even consider creating a separate partition and create the new macOS on it and then use Migration Assistant immediately you get the presumably High Sierra 10.13.x installed.

Then you'd still have your Mavericks partition to boot from in case needed, and HS make some pretty drastic OS X changes.

Also be aware that some of your current apps, printer etc. may not even work. :(

Yes, I'm mainly still using Mavericks on my 2011 27" iMac. ;)