: Ford shaking up it's lineup: buy-bye, sedans :O

CubaMark
Apr 25th, 2018, 09:06 PM
Ford to stop selling every car in North America but the Mustang and Focus Active (https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/25/ford-to-stop-selling-every-car-in-north-america-but-the-mustang-and-focus-active/)

Ford today announced it will phase out most cars it sells in North America. According to its latest financial release, the auto giant “will transition to two vehicles” — the Mustang and an unannounced vehicle, the Focus Active, being the only traditional cars it sells in the region. Ford sees 90 percent of its North America portfolio in trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Citing a reduction in consumer demand and product profitability, Ford is in turn not investing in the next generation of sedans. The Taurus is no more.

The press release also talks about a new type of vehicle, though it sounds like a crossover. This so-called white space vehicle will “combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as higher ride height, space and versatility.”

Currently, Ford sells six sedans and coupes in North America: the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, C-Max, Mustang and Taurus. This lineup hits multiple segments, from the compact Fiesta to the mid-size Focus, C-Max and Fusion to the full-size Taurus. The Mustang stands alone as the lone coupe.

It’s likely Lincoln’s sedans will also disappear...

(TechCrunch ("https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/25/ford-to-stop-selling-every-car-in-north-america-but-the-mustang-and-focus-active/))

Macfury
Apr 25th, 2018, 09:59 PM
That's because Lincoln and so many of these vehicles are already represented as sports utilities--which are just a different sort of car.

macintosh doctor
Apr 25th, 2018, 10:24 PM
These americans are finally learning. - if i want luxury it will always be German :cool:
They will never be able to match value and quality so they might as well stick to Trucks.

Rps
Apr 26th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Fiat did this as well. This is a large risk. It will only work as long as gas prices and CAFE requirements keep fairly low and stable. Good luck with that!

SINC
Apr 26th, 2018, 11:02 AM
These americans are finally learning. - if i want luxury it will always be German :cool:
They will never be able to match value and quality so they might as well stick to Trucks.

Not so. Every single person I know who bought German, especially Mercedes, Audi and BMW regretted their decision in a few short years. Dealers rape owners on the costs of maintenance on these overrated vehicles. There are many luxurious options out there that do not penalize their customers with outrageous service charges.

Rps
Apr 26th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Sinc, I have to laugh at all these people who think certain lines have more quality than others. I have known people who own Mercedes and BMW and they wouldn’t buy another one. What is funny is when you drive by the dealers they all have service bays filled with their brands vehicle.......wonder what they are there for hmmmmmm mm

Macfury
Apr 26th, 2018, 12:10 PM
All businesses are trying to leverage "recurring revenue" following a sale!

Sinc, I have to laugh at all these people who think certain lines have more quality than others. I have known people who own Mercedes and BMW and they wouldn’t buy another one. What is funny is when you drive by the dealers they all have service bays filled with their brands vehicle.......wonder what they are there for hmmmmmm mm

monokitty
Apr 26th, 2018, 02:45 PM
What is funny is when you drive by the dealers they all have service bays filled with their brands vehicle.......wonder what they are there for hmmmmmm mm

That's literally true of every single dealership representing every brand of vehicle, but sure...

chasMac
Apr 26th, 2018, 02:49 PM
Not so. Every single person I know who bought German, especially Mercedes, Audi and BMW regretted their decision in a few short years. Dealers rape owners on the costs of maintenance on these overrated vehicles. There are many luxurious options out there that do not penalize their customers with outrageous service charges.

I get 5 years of complete service on my BMW (yes, I know I pay for it upfront - but I've done the same with all cars I've purchased, foreign and domestic), then I buy a new one. I suspect most people who buy German cars follow a similar plan. Service charges are not an issue.

macintosh doctor
Apr 26th, 2018, 02:57 PM

i must be a serious exception
i have had over 14 VWs/Audis and 4 Benzes - never once did i regret the purchases
loved them and the customer service is beyond white gloves..
Americans lack empathy and care for their customers

Rps
Apr 26th, 2018, 03:13 PM
i have had over 14 VWs/Audis and 4 Benzes - never once did i regret the purchases

In a few words....you have been lucky. However you are 100% right on how customers are treated by North American manufacturers, yes some individual cases get outstanding service, but from my experience, overall once you buy they don’t care.

SINC
Apr 26th, 2018, 03:19 PM

If you can afford to buy that many vehicles you must trade for new every couple of years, so no, it would not affect you. That noted my buddy with a 2009 Benz with very low mileage just got whacked for $1,100 to change a small battery that went bad (not the main battery). That that is the kind of thing I hear about.

I bought my loaded 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited brand new for $30,000 cash. I have towed it over 200K behind my motor home and driven it 114K. Since new I have spent $500 on a tune up, $500 on the exhaust system and $500 on the front brakes. That's under $100 a year since new to keep it in top shape. Still drives and looks like new but for an average total cost per year of just under $1,900 to own and drive it to date. Also one battery and two sets of tires, but that is maintenance, not repairs. It will serve me well for another decade or more.

macintosh doctor
Apr 26th, 2018, 03:47 PM
If you can afford to buy that many vehicles you must trade for new every couple of years, so no, it would not affect you. That noted my buddy with a 2009 Benz with very low mileage just got whacked for $1,100 to change a small battery that went bad (not the main battery). That that is the kind of thing I hear about.

I bought my loaded 2001 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited brand new for $30,000 cash. I have towed it over 200K behind my motor home and driven it 114K. Since new I have spent $500 on a tune up, $500 on the exhaust system and $500 on the front brakes. That's under $100 a year since new to keep it in top shape. Still drives and looks like new but for an average total cost per year of just under $1,900 to own and drive it to date. Also one battery and two sets of tires, but that is maintenance, not repairs. It will serve me well for another decade or more.

i have had great luck then, but i usually keep my cars about 5 yrs or so.. rare occasion 8 but that said never i have been mistreated by the dealer..

my benz needed almost $4k work but they covered under warranty for me.. i guess it depends on the dealer