: The Baseball Thread!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Rps
Apr 19th, 2018, 03:08 PM
As long as I can remember the first true signs of spring were: kids playing ball hockey, robins, and the ďOpening DayĒ of Major League Baseball.

As a kid in public school, it seemed everyone played the game. Now, where there used to be baseball diamonds there are soccer pitches. Fewer and fewer kids seem to be playing the game.

In this day and age of computer games with their flash and all too common violent based themes, no one seems to pickup a ball and glove and just enjoy tossing outside.

Which makes me wonder, is Baseball doomed, and if so, whatís wrong with the game?

Thoughts....

BReligion
Apr 19th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Well I am hoping to keep the tradition alive and well... my son who is now 8 is registered to play ball again this summer (4th year, second outside of boooring Tball), and is actually signed up for a pre season weekly pitching clinic.

First nice "spring day" a few weeks ago we got the ball and gloves out and tossed it around for 45 minutes to start getting back into the motions.

In fact... for the first time in ~20 years (good lord... 20 years) I am hoping to play in an adult league this year.

I can't say there is a problem with the game, but I am biased. I love it. I love watching it, playing it, helping to coach it so I can't say as there is a problem with it... but then again, I don't see the appeal of some other sports.

BReligion

Rps
Apr 19th, 2018, 05:41 PM
BReligion good for you! My grandkids live many many miles away so no playing ball with them, and alas, my eyes are not as good as they used to be so I think my ball playing days are over. But I love to watch the game.

I have often thought that baseball is one of the few pro sports left that has any actual grace in its play. It is also one of the few sports that has something for a fan to do.....which is score the game. Scoring, I think, fully engages a fan with the game.

FeXL
Apr 19th, 2018, 06:06 PM
As early grade schoolers our children played on the local t-ball & baseball teams. While they didn't mind the sport for a couple years, they preferred soccer & that's where they headed. School & club basketball & volleyball took over late in grade school, junior high & senior high, although one still plays league & club soccer. One played high school slow pitch last year & will likely make the team again this year. With all the heavy, late snow this year, they've had a slow start.

Growing up I never played organized ball but my brother & I always had a glove each and a baseball to play catch with, either at home or at school. We always looked forward to the times dad came home early from the field & he'd get the old, beat up wooden bat out (that my uncles had used growing up) & play "500" with us in the small pasture across from the house.

Rps
Apr 19th, 2018, 06:17 PM
FeXL, I remember playing 500 and P.I.G. vividly in my youth up to my teens. I also played a little organised ball in my teens. Later, when my wife and me got our first home the new neighbourhood established a Lob Ball league to get people to know each other. At that time many companies had Lob Ball leagues for their employees.

Macfury
Apr 19th, 2018, 09:15 PM
I coached a local league for 8 years while my son qualified to play. That league is still going strong.

Dr.G.
Apr 19th, 2018, 10:20 PM
ďOpening DayĒ of Major League Baseball was always a thrill for me. I lived in hope that the NY Giants would win the World Series. They did when I was 6 years old ............... and then I had to wait until 2010 for them to do it again.

I played little league baseball, but recall just playing at various places where kids of all ages, races, religions, nationalities .......... and lovers of either the NY GIants, the Brooklyn Dodgers or the NY Yankees, would play make-shift games. Loved those Spring and Summer days of my youth.

macintosh doctor
Apr 20th, 2018, 11:27 AM
ďOpening DayĒ of Major League Baseball was always a thrill for me. I lived in hope that the NY Giants would win the World Series. They did when I was 6 years old ............... and then I had to wait until 2010 for them to do it again.

I played little league baseball, but recall just playing at various places where kids of all ages, races, religions, nationalities .......... and lovers of either the NY GIants, the Brooklyn Dodgers or the NY Yankees, would play make-shift games. Loved those Spring and Summer days of my youth.

love that story..
i remember when the Jays won back to back.. that was spectacular.. at least one of our sports teams 'made it ' :)

SINC
Apr 20th, 2018, 11:30 AM
I played baseball on a school team in 1957 and 1958 teams. No sissy softball for us back then (and fastball was unknown). :D

Dr.G.
Apr 20th, 2018, 11:53 AM
love that story..
i remember when the Jays won back to back.. that was spectacular.. at least one of our sports teams 'made it ' :)

Yes, I recall the Jays going back to back. Maybe this year for a "three peat"? We shall see.

Aurora
Apr 20th, 2018, 01:28 PM
I was in the nosebleed section when Carter hit the '93 Series homer to win the Series. What a thrill that was. I was up over third base and couldnt see the ball land and it was Joe jumping up and down that told me the World Series was ours for the second time.

BReligion
Apr 20th, 2018, 03:29 PM
One of my families nuggets of history, was my great grandmother was such an avid fan of baseball, she had season tickets right from the get go of April 1977 when the Jays opened at home @ Exhibition stadium (snow and all) right until she passed in the early 80's.

BReligion

BReligion
Apr 20th, 2018, 03:35 PM

I try to make opening day a thing in our house hold too... Every year the healthies of Hotdogs and snacks for supper. Try to see the Jay's and Sox first pitches of the regular season (even if watching form my phone on the way home...)

and lovers of either the NY GIants, the Brooklyn Dodgers or the NY Yankees..
See I had no problem with you Dr. G, until now... *sigh* Ah well, until October we must be enemies... Go Red Sox :lmao:

BReligion

Dr.G.
Apr 20th, 2018, 05:55 PM
I was in the nosebleed section when Carter hit the '93 Series homer to win the Series. What a thrill that was. I was up over third base and couldnt see the ball land and it was Joe jumping up and down that told me the World Series was ours for the second time.

:clap::clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Apr 20th, 2018, 05:56 PM
One of my families nuggets of history, was my great grandmother was such an avid fan of baseball, she had season tickets right from the get go of April 1977 when the Jays opened at home @ Exhibition stadium (snow and all) right until she passed in the early 80's.

BReligion

:clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Apr 20th, 2018, 05:57 PM
I try to make opening day a thing in our house hold too... Every year the healthies of Hotdogs and snacks for supper. Try to see the Jay's and Sox first pitches of the regular season (even if watching form my phone on the way home...)

See I had no problem with you Dr. G, until now... *sigh* Ah well, until October we must be enemies... Go Red Sox :lmao:

BReligion

BR, I grew up a NY Giants fan in NYC .............. born to hate the Dodgers and dislike the Yankees. I root for Boston whenever they face the Yanks. Paix, mon ami.

BReligion
Apr 20th, 2018, 08:42 PM
BR, I grew up a NY Giants fan in NYC .............. born to hate the Dodgers and dislike the Yankees. I root for Boston whenever they face the Yanks. Paix, mon ami.

Okay we are good again ;)

BReligion

Dr.G.
Apr 20th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Okay we are good again ;)

BReligion

Yanks against Jays tonight .................. Go Jays!!!!!!!!!!!!

BReligion
Apr 21st, 2018, 09:42 AM
Yanks against Jays tonight .................. Go Jays!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes sir... itís unfortunate that my two favouite teams are in the same division (AL East: Sox and Jays) but that does mean twice the thumping of the Yankees.

Also... AL East, I think is the toughest division in all sports. Year after year power houses like Boston, New York, Toronto, (Baltimore has played spoiler a few times).... itís never an easy division to win.

BReligion

Dr.G.
Apr 21st, 2018, 09:47 AM
Yes sir... itís unfortunate that my two favouite teams are in the same division (AL East: Sox and Jays) but that does mean twice the thumping of the Yankees.

Also... AL East, I think is the toughest division in all sports. Year after year power houses like Boston, New York, Toronto, (Baltimore has played spoiler a few times).... itís never an easy division to win.

BReligion

So true, BR. Over the years, I have rooted for the Cubs and the Red Sox to win the World Series just to break the jinx. Both have succeeded. :clap:

Rps
Apr 21st, 2018, 03:04 PM
Okay, so we have some fans and some players here....Great!

Question for you, there has been some fear that HRs will be down this year. I know itís early, but some are suggesting that the season is too long. The cold weather is affecting the HR totals. It may be too early to say but it does open up an interesting question....is the season too long?

I can remember sitting in the ball park at the CNE in early April wiping the snow off seats and man was it cold!,,, this year they started the season in March.....should we back off some games say to a 154game season? Could we do this if we kill the Inter-League games ( which I do like seeing ) or leave it. Somehow a game 7 in November seems weird.

Dr.G.
Apr 21st, 2018, 08:26 PM
Okay, so we have some fans and some players here....Great!

Question for you, there has been some fear that HRs will be down this year. I know itís early, but some are suggesting that the season is too long. The cold weather is affecting the HR totals. It may be too early to say but it does open up an interesting question....is the season too long?

I can remember sitting in the ball park at the CNE in early April wiping the snow off seats and man was it cold!,,, this year they started the season in March.....should we back off some games say to a 154game season? Could we do this if we kill the Inter-League games ( which I do like seeing ) or leave it. Somehow a game 7 in November seems weird.

Yes, the season is way too long. When the playoffs and World Series stretch into November, it is something that needs to be corrected.

Dr.G.
Apr 21st, 2018, 08:37 PM
Question -- who are some of the baseball players you have seen play in person and who ended up in the Baseball Hall of Fame???? For me =

Willie Mays
Hank Aaron
Jackie Robinson
Sandy Kofax
Warren Spahn
Mickey Mantle
Roberto Clemente
Ernie Banks
Yogi Berra
Whitey Ford
Bob Gibson
Willie McCovey
Stan Musial
Tom Seaver
Ted Williams
Carl Yastrzemski (sp?)

For me, I was lucky in that I was able to see these men play at Yankee Stadium, The Polo Grounds, Ebbets Field and Shea Stadium.

Rps
Apr 22nd, 2018, 11:13 AM
That's quite a list ! I have one notably story for my HOF player. I remember seeing Reggie Jackson at CNE Stadium when he was with the Angels. A group of us went to see the Jays play the Angels. We were on the first base side, four rows up from the Angels bull pen. Jackson was in the outfield warming up with some toss. A father came down holding an infant son, who would have been in the line of the toss. Jackson yelled at him to move his son because if there was a muff catch the ball would hit his son... it was noisy and I guess the father didn't hear or get it. Jackson ran up and jumped up on the railing and told the dad to please move to protect the child. We heard it quite clear but the 20K others at the ball park only saw Jackson running up and " yelling at a fan"...the jeering and booing was almost deafening. Little did they know Jackson was doing the father a favour.

Jackson was up the next inning and the booing was incredible...every pitch they got on him. He struck out in one of his famous "screwed into the ground swings" and the noise was incredible. I felt sorry for him, as they didn't know he was actually being a good guy.

That same game, Luis Sanchez was in the bull pen. When he stood up, and remember we were four rows back, you could look straight into his eyes...man was he tall. Well some idiot fan ran down beside up and tossed an almost full beer can at the bull pen bench hitting Sanchez in the shoulder. Sanchez got up with another pitcher to see who it was and he thought it was us. They two started throwing toss and we knew what they were thinking...and that a "ball would get away" and hit us. Again Jackson stepped in and indicated it wasn't us but the jerk now running up the stairs. They security actually got the guy.

I remember that game vividly....no matter what you thought of Reggie, we knew something the 20,000 other fans didn't...he was a good guy.

Dr.G.
Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:24 PM
That's quite a list ! I have one notably story for my HOF player. I remember seeing Reggie Jackson at CNE Stadium when he was with the Angels. A group of us went to see the Jays play the Angels. We were on the first base side, four rows up from the Angels bull pen. Jackson was in the outfield warming up with some toss. A father came down holding an infant son, who would have been in the line of the toss. Jackson yelled at him to move his son because if there was a muff catch the ball would hit his son... it was noisy and I guess the father didn't hear or get it. Jackson ran up and jumped up on the railing and told the dad to please move to protect the child. We heard it quite clear but the 20K others at the ball park only saw Jackson running up and " yelling at a fan"...the jeering and booing was almost deafening. Little did they know Jackson was doing the father a favour.

Jackson was up the next inning and the booing was incredible...every pitch they got on him. He struck out in one of his famous "screwed into the ground swings" and the noise was incredible. I felt sorry for him, as they didn't know he was actually being a good guy.

That same game, Luis Sanchez was in the bull pen. When he stood up, and remember we were four rows back, you could look straight into his eyes...man was he tall. Well some idiot fan ran down beside up and tossed an almost full beer can at the bull pen bench hitting Sanchez in the shoulder. Sanchez got up with another pitcher to see who it was and he thought it was us. They two started throwing toss and we knew what they were thinking...and that a "ball would get away" and hit us. Again Jackson stepped in and indicated it wasn't us but the jerk now running up the stairs. They security actually got the guy.

I remember that game vividly....no matter what you thought of Reggie, we knew something the 20,000 other fans didn't...he was a good guy.

Interesting stories, Rp. :clap:

Dr.G.
Apr 22nd, 2018, 06:32 PM
Wow. A unique record.

Brandon Beltís 1st inning AB: 21 pitches, a new MLB record for an at-bat. This breaks the previous modern history record of 20 between Ricky Gutierrez and Bartolo Colon on 6/26/98. Belt's at-bat lasted approximately 12 minutes, 45 seconds.

Rps
Apr 22nd, 2018, 07:23 PM
Wow. A unique record.

Brandon Beltís 1st inning AB: 21 pitches, a new MLB record for an at-bat. This breaks the previous modern history record of 20 between Ricky Gutierrez and Bartolo Colon on 6/26/98. Belt's at-bat lasted approximately 12 minutes, 45 seconds.

I always thought it a strange rule that you can foul off balls all day but if you bunt a ball foul on your third strike you are out. The Angels must be fuming as Barria must have tossed 50 pitches in the first. Not that people would like this and if you did the rules committee would butt in, but if I was a manager I would waste the first inning on their starters by just fouling balls off...yeah I know itís difficult but if you have some guys who can do it you will burn through their pitching staff.

Dr.G.
Apr 22nd, 2018, 08:35 PM
I always thought it a strange rule that you can foul off balls all day but if you bunt a ball foul on your third strike you are out. The Angels must be fuming as Barria must have tossed 50 pitches in the first. Not that people would like this and if you did the rules committee would butt in, but if I was a manager I would waste the first inning on their starters by just fouling balls off...yeah I know itís difficult but if you have some guys who can do it you will burn through their pitching staff.

An interesting suggestion, Rp. I recall going to a NY Mets game back in 1963 when their rookie second baseman, Ron Hunt, fouled off a dozen pitches with an 0-2 count on him. The Giants pitcher, Gaylord Perry, threw one of his classic spit balls in an attempt to strike him out, but it curved so much it hit Hunt in the ass. :clap::lmao:

Dr.G.
Apr 22nd, 2018, 09:47 PM
Brandon Belt's 21-Pitch At-Bat Breaks MLB Record for Most Pitches Seen in an AB | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2771932-brandon-belts-21-pitch-at-bat-breaks-mlb-record-for-most-pitches-seen-in-an-ab?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial)

Rps
Apr 23rd, 2018, 11:45 AM
Marc, I thought this interesting....and something you probably knew. Although the Atlanta Braves are considered the oldest continuously run organization in the MLB...... i take exception to this as the Phillies have held the same name in the same city, but thatís another story....the Giants are the team which has won the most games with 11,015 wins!

Dr.G.
Apr 23rd, 2018, 01:19 PM
Marc, I thought this interesting....and something you probably knew. Although the Atlanta Braves are considered the oldest continuously run organization in the MLB...... i take exception to this as the Phillies have held the same name in the same city, but thatís another story....the Giants are the team which has won the most games with 11,015 wins!

Yes, I knew most of this Rp. Still interesting ............... especially the fact of the Giants with so many wins. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :love2:

Rps
Apr 23rd, 2018, 04:20 PM
And just to show you how much of a numbers game baseball is, and of course their lack of meaning....the Toronto Blue Jays have the highest winning percentage in World Series play of .667%.....somehow it doesn't match to the 27 titles the Yanks have won.

What is also astonishing is how much baseball is an inner city game. If you look at its history, the beginning teams all came from big cities. Chicago, Philadelphia, St. Louis and of course New York. New York is unique I think in its attachment to the sport. When you review the World Series play, outside of the Yanks 27 wins, from around 1949 to 1958 every World Series had a New York team in it. And if you add the Dodgers, who had moved to Los Angeles that number goes to 1966. Additionally almost half of all World Series games have had a team that was either based in New York or was based at one time ( Dodgers, Giants) quite an attachment don't you think.

Dr.G.
Apr 23rd, 2018, 05:49 PM
And just to show you how much of a numbers game baseball is, and of course their lack of meaning....the Toronto Blue Jays have the highest winning percentage in World Series play of .667%.....somehow it doesn't match to the 27 titles the Yanks have won.

What is also astonishing is how much baseball is an inner city game. If you look at its history, the beginning teams all came from big cities. Chicago, Philadelphia, St. Louis and of course New York. New York is unique I think in its attachment to the sport. When you review the World Series play, outside of the Yanks 27 wins, from around 1949 to 1958 every World Series had a New York team in it. And if you add the Dodgers, who had moved to Los Angeles that number goes to 1966. Additionally almost half of all World Series games have had a team that was either based in New York or was based at one time ( Dodgers, Giants) quite an attachment don't you think.

Yes, I grew up in a baseball crazy city to a NY Giants family. Amazingly, my dad was born and raised in Brooklyn, and my mom was born in Montreal, so there would have been a natural link to the Dodgers. :D

Rps
Apr 24th, 2018, 03:53 PM
With all this talk about home runs..... does anyone else find them a boring part of the game? Personally, I prefer hit and runs, stealing bases, manufacturing runs. While , indeed, the old Negro Leagues had hitters, they changed how the game was played. They were in constant movement on the bases not the stage to stage playing of the MLB of the day. I think this is why I like the National League....they manufacturer runs as opposed to the American League which is content to whack the ball. That said, the Yankees were noted for heavy hitters and have 27 WS rings to prove it.

So, Iím wondering how many ehMacers lean towards the home run, or do you like to see manufactured runs....AL or NL.

Dr.G.
Apr 24th, 2018, 04:29 PM
With all this talk about home runs..... does anyone else find them a boring part of the game? Personally, I prefer hit and runs, stealing bases, manufacturing runs. While , indeed, the old Negro Leagues had hitters, they changed how the game was played. They were in constant movement on the bases not the stage to stage playing of the MLB of the day. I think this is why I like the National League....they manufacturer runs as opposed to the American League which is content to whack the ball. That said, the Yankees were noted for heavy hitters and have 27 WS rings to prove it.

So, Iím wondering how many ehMacers lean towards the home run, or do you like to see manufactured runs....AL or NL.

You would have loved the Chicago White Sox back in 1959. I lost interest in home runs when the steroid crisis made a mockery of the 1961 Roger Maris home run record.

SINC
Apr 24th, 2018, 04:35 PM
I have to admit that I am usually only a baseball fan come October and the playoffs and World Series. But I am also really enjoying the education I am receiving through this thread. Thanks for the stories and please keep it up. I may become a serious fan yet.

Dr.G.
Apr 24th, 2018, 04:56 PM
I have to admit that I am usually only a baseball fan come October and the playoffs and World Series. But I am also really enjoying the education I am receiving through this thread. Thanks for the stories and please keep it up. I may become a serious fan yet.

Well, that is great news. Try watching some of the highlights on some of the sports channels. That cuts through the boring bits.

Rps
Apr 24th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Don, Marcís idea of watching highlights is quite a good idea. Another thing is select a team and review its history. My favourite team, the Braves, have a rich history. They were one of the last teams around when the NAB or National Association Baseball Players failed. They were in Boston and were called the Red Stockings, or Reds. They later changed their name to the Braves when the Cincinnati team began begining called the Red Stockings. The Boston team may have even been called the Red Caps....now a beer lover should know this 🤣🤣🤣. The Braves were not as successful fan wise as the other Boston team......hmmmm forget who they are. The Braves changed to the Boston Bees, the Doves, the Rustlers, then the Boston Beaneaters, back to the Braves....then they moved to Milwaukee, another beer reference......and finally back to Atlanta as the Braves. They are considered the oldest continuously run ball club in MLB. Actually, they are right up there with the Argos as North Americaís oldest professional sports franchise. The Braves were the last team that the Babe played on in 1935.

Urban Legend has it that the owner of the Boston Red Sox made money on the production of No No Nannette. He then financed a failure called Yes, Yes, Yvette which went no where and he sold the Babe to the Yanks.....the rest, as they say is history.

Dr.G.
Apr 24th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Don, Marcís idea of watching highlights is quite a good idea. Another thing is select a team and review its history. My favourite team, the Braves, have a rich history. They were one of the last teams around when the NAB or National Association Baseball Players failed. They were in Boston and were called the Red Stockings, or Reds. They later changed their name to the Braves when the Cincinnati team began begining called the Red Stockings. The Boston team may have even been called the Red Caps....now a beer lover should know this 🤣🤣🤣. The Braves were not as successful fan wise as the other Boston team......hmmmm forget who they are. The Braves changed to the Boston Bees, the Doves, the Rustlers, then the Boston Beaneaters, back to the Braves....then they moved to Milwaukee, another beer reference......and finally back to Atlanta as the Braves. They are considered the oldest continuously run ball club in MLB. Actually, they are right up there with the Argos as North Americaís oldest professional sports franchise. The Braves were the last team that the Babe played on in 1935.

Urban Legend has it that the owner of the Boston Red Sox made money on the production of No No Nannette. He then financed a failure called Yes, Yes, Yvette which went no where and he sold the Babe to the Yanks.....the rest, as they say is history.

Yes, luckily for the NY Yankees, that urban legend is correct.

Rps
Apr 24th, 2018, 07:04 PM
Yes, luckily for the NY Yankees, that urban legend is correct.

Actually, it isnít. Frazeeís problem was more to do with Johnson the president of the American League. They got into a shooting war over baseball issues. The Yanks actually were a supporter of Frazee as were the White Sox, but the other teams sided with Johnson. Frazee didnít own Fenway at that time and had to borrow to buy the team. Eventually he had to get cash to buy Fenway or he would have been squeezed out of the league....thus why Ruth was sold ( along with the fact Frazee and Ruth didnít get along ) ...the Yanks actually fronted the mortgage for Frazee. Frazee wound up selling the team for twice what he paid...not a bad return.

Dr.G.
Apr 24th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Speaking of hitting home runs and fielding, these are two of the best moments in the history of baseball ............. especially if you are a NY Giants fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK6zPbkFnE

Dr.G.
Apr 24th, 2018, 08:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RatKhtboq2E

And now, for something completely different ................... :lmao::clap::lmao:

Rps
Apr 24th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Speaking of hitting home runs and fielding, these are two of the best moments in the history of baseball ............. especially if you are a NY Giants fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dK6zPbkFnE

Yup! I get the ďshot heard round the worldĒ, but I think Iíve mentioned this before Mayís ďcatchĒ wasnít as great as the throw back in.....THAT WAS OUTSTANDING!:clap::clap::clap:Doby had to hold on the tag up.

Rps
Apr 24th, 2018, 08:53 PM
Marc, correct me if Iím wrong, but isnít Mazeroskiís the only come from behind game 7 home run winner. Carter had one in game 6 of the Jays series. Itís funny but when we were kids playing we always mentally saw ourselves in a bottom of the ninth, game 7 situation when we batted.....who knew it was only done once.....1960.

Dr.G.
Apr 24th, 2018, 09:09 PM
Yup! I get the ďshot heard round the worldĒ, but I think Iíve mentioned this before Mayís ďcatchĒ wasnít as great as the throw back in.....THAT WAS OUTSTANDING!:clap::clap::clap:Doby had to hold on the tag up.

That is exactly what Mays said about the catch and then the throw.

Dr.G.
Apr 24th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Marc, correct me if Iím wrong, but isnít Mazeroskiís the only come from behind game 7 home run winner. Carter had one in game 6 of the Jays series. Itís funny but when we were kids playing we always mentally saw ourselves in a bottom of the ninth, game 7 situation when we batted.....who knew it was only done once.....1960.

The score was tied 9-9 in the bottom of the 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65Og0gUKfvc

Rps
Apr 25th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Well, April is almost done and some of my predictions need a little work. My teams selection for the post season were New York, Cleveland, Philadelphia and San Diego. SD needs some work. When you think about it, 162 games is a long season. Mentally it is difficult to think in game wins. Iíve always thought you need to win series....each team plays around 26 in a season. If you think of winning series a team can handle that...but if you have to get down to games.....thatís too much pressure.......

Dr.G.
Apr 25th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Well, April is almost done and some of my predictions need a little work. My teams selection for the post season were New York, Cleveland, Philadelphia and San Diego. SD needs some work. When you think about it, 162 games is a long season. Mentally it is difficult to think in game wins. Iíve always thought you need to win series....each team plays around 26 in a season. If you think of winning series a team can handle that...but if you have to get down to games.....thatís too much pressure.......

Well, think of the pressure the average fan has to go through to try to buy 2-4 tickets for his/her family at certain ball parks .............. all to watch third-string utility infielders earning $2 million a year. Ticket prices and salaries are way out of balance. :greedy:

Rps
Apr 28th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Baseball curiosity of the day.....did you know that the Phillies, at one time, were going to change their name to...........wait for it........the Blue Jays!

Dr.G.
Apr 28th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Baseball curiosity of the day.....did you know that the Phillies, at one time, were going to change their name to...........wait for it........the Blue Jays!

:confused::eek::clap:

Rps
Apr 28th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Yes, in the early days of MLB, which is 1870s on, teams were called by their city. So in the case of Boston, the NL teams would be called the Boston Nationals and the AL Boston would be called the Boston Americans.

Philly was originally with the National Association and were called the Quakers. When they joined the NL most often they were called the Philadelphians but it was thought that that name was too long for newspapers so it was shortened to the Phillies. They didnít have a great record and during the early 1940s the owner wanted to call them the Blue Jays.... infact the uniforms of that era had a Blue Jay on the sleeve. It didnít take and they were always going to be called the Phillies.

Dr.G.
Apr 28th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Yes, in the early days of MLB, which is 1870s on, teams were called by their city. So in the case of Boston, the NL teams would be called the Boston Nationals and the AL Boston would be called the Boston Americans.

Philly was originally with the National Association and were called the Quakers. When they joined the NL most often they were called the Philadelphians but it was thought that that name was too long for newspapers so it was shortened to the Phillies. They didnít have a great record and during the early 1940s the owner wanted to call them the Blue Jays.... infact the uniforms of that era had a Blue Jay on the sleeve. It didnít take and they were always going to be called the Phillies.

Interesting history, Rp. :clap::clap:

Rps
Apr 28th, 2018, 08:12 PM
Interesting history, Rp. :clap::clap:

Not only interesting but very very rare

Here is a rendering as I canít seem to lift a photo of the actual 1943 jersey.

. 86130

Dr.G.
Apr 28th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Very interesting. I do like the evolution of the jerseys of some teams, especially the NY to SF Giants.

Rps
May 8th, 2018, 11:26 AM
I read with interest Liam Caseyís article from the Canadian Press stating that Canada produces more left handed hitters for MLB than anywhere else in the world. In fact, Casey states that 9 of the 13 Canadian players in the MLB in 2016 were lefties.....or 69%. American players sit at about 37%, and the other countries range from 25% to 30%. The reason for this, based on a study from the U of T is hockey. Further, the study has documented that since 1917, there were 154 Canadian players with 53% being lefties. 1917 is significant as it was the start date to the NHL. The rationale is that skills in one sport help the other and that hockey uses both right and left hands. What is curious in the study is that, while these players bat left, most throw with their right hand.....which shows dominance.

The righty/left argument has waged for some time. Personally, while there is some logic to the success of being a lefty hitter ( closer to 1st, 3-4 hole) I donít really buy it. Many of my sabrmatrician friends will point to the slight increase in batting average for lefties. I on the other hand look at the number of players who hit right. Baseball is all about numbers, if Managers actually thought that they would have a distinct advantage, especially in championship games, they would beat the bushes for lefties and pad their roster......since they donít I have a hard time buying the argument.

Thoughts......

SINC
May 8th, 2018, 11:45 AM
I am right handed. Do everything with that hand.

But when it came to baseball ( or golf or hockey ) I shot left.

Not many righties bat left, or do they?

FeXL
May 8th, 2018, 11:51 AM
I'm RH, as well.

However, playing hockey or splitting firewood, I do both LH.

Rps
May 8th, 2018, 12:02 PM
I am right handed. Do everything with that hand.

But when it came to baseball ( or golf or hockey ) I shot left.

Not many righties bat left, or do they?

Well there are switch hitters, I know Iíd cutoff my right arm to be ambidextrous...
What is interesting is the link to ďhandednessĒ in hitting to hockey. They collected data in states with strong hockey backgrounds and there was also a slight increase in left handed hitters...but not a major increase. They authors felt that hockey being ubiquitous in Canada helped in the skill development...however hand-dominance, to me, is an involuntary act....at least for most. I grew up in a time that everyone in school was taught writing as right handed. My sister was a southpaw and she had a devil of a time learning to write.

Rps
May 8th, 2018, 12:03 PM
I'm RH, as well.

However, playing hockey or splitting firewood, I do both LH.

I guess Iím the anti-Canadian, as I bat and shoot right.

BReligion
May 8th, 2018, 12:19 PM

Same.

I tried switch hitting for a while when I was younger. I could make contact, but I always found I was better off to stay on the right and push to the opposite field or place the ball right centre rather then bat left and try to pull it.
Occasionally I would do it just to throw a pitcher off because he wasn't expecting it (easy walk most of the time).. but if you really you want to feel awkward, try shifting to place a bunt from the opposite side... that just feels wrong in every which way lol

BReligion

Rps
May 8th, 2018, 12:31 PM
BReligion, I couldnít bunt to save my soul...no matter which side. Personally I always liked Ichrioís drag swing style. This, to me, is the consummate left handed swing. Many many options open. If I managed I would stress the contact style....but Iím showing my preference to the NL game I guess.

FeXL
May 8th, 2018, 12:44 PM

I bat & shoot firearms right. It's only a hockey stick & axe that go LH. Yet, a bokken feels correct RH.

I have no explanation. :confused:

Years ago as a construction labourer I tried to teach myself to be ambidextrous, just because one is not always in a position to run a tool RH. I was mostly successful with power tools & nearly all hand tools. Hammering with my LH was the most difficult. I could hit hard or have accuracy. Not both...

I have a friend who does everything RH except shoot long guns, which goes LH. I don't know how he shoots handguns.

Dr.G.
May 8th, 2018, 01:36 PM

Same with me. Still, I don't consider myself "anti-Canadian" ............. just right handed for everything re sports. :D

Dr.G.
May 8th, 2018, 01:38 PM
BReligion, I couldnít bunt to save my soul...no matter which side. Personally I always liked Ichrioís drag swing style. This, to me, is the consummate left handed swing. Many many options open. If I managed I would stress the contact style....but Iím showing my preference to the NL game I guess.

Bunting was one of the few things I did really well in Little League. To this day, I think that I could bunt to any spot you designate for the bunt to ultimately land and "drop dead".

Dr.G.
May 8th, 2018, 01:40 PM

If you have a preference for the NL game, might we assume that you do not like the designated hitter rule?

Rps
May 8th, 2018, 01:48 PM
If you have a preference for the NL game, might we assume that you do not like the designated hitter rule?

Actually, I donít! I think it devalues pitchers, if you have one who can bunt or hit, it provides movement in the game. The current thoughts on pitchers is that you go 6 or 7 innings and the staff takes over. Unless you got a no hitter going you wonít see many complete games. In the AL, pitchers get pulled all the time. Here the debate is which is harder to Manage the NL or AL.....I think because of the pitcher use the AL might be harder. I also think home runs are one of the more boring parts of the game, as I have previously stated, but, fans seem to like them.... I on the other hand like the small game, constant movement, steals, bunts, hit and runs....all absent from the AL game AND , more recently becoming absent from the NL.

Dr.G.
May 9th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Actually, I donít! I think it devalues pitchers, if you have one who can bunt or hit, it provides movement in the game. The current thoughts on pitchers is that you go 6 or 7 innings and the staff takes over. Unless you got a no hitter going you wonít see many complete games. In the AL, pitchers get pulled all the time. Here the debate is which is harder to Manage the NL or AL.....I think because of the pitcher use the AL might be harder. I also think home runs are one of the more boring parts of the game, as I have previously stated, but, fans seem to like them.... I on the other hand like the small game, constant movement, steals, bunts, hit and runs....all absent from the AL game AND , more recently becoming absent from the NL.

I remember Roger Craig, who pitched for the NY Mets after the Dodgers released him. Craig lost 24 games in 1962 and 22 games in 1963. Still, he completed 13 games in '62 and 14 games in '63. I recall his frustration when Casey Stengel would not take him out when his team was behind by 10 runs to my beloved Giants.

His manager, Casey Stengel, told him, "You've gotta be good to lose that many."

Dr.G.
May 9th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Speaking of bunts and hit and run plays ..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaRRK-Cyoy4

BReligion
May 9th, 2018, 09:55 AM
Speaking of bunts and hit and run plays ..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaRRK-Cyoy4

Such a great movie!

BReligion

Rps
May 9th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Such a great movie!

BReligion

I think the phrase, ďJust outsideĒ will for ever live from that movie. Next to Bang The Drum Slowly, itís one of the best baseball movies Iíve ever seen.

Rps
May 9th, 2018, 10:06 AM
Marc, Craig was also a great coach and manager...... a lot of guy are in the Hall due to his teachings. Didnít he go on the win a WS with St. Louis after the Mets stint.

BReligion
May 9th, 2018, 10:21 AM
On the baseball subject, I would be remiss to point out last night James Paxton, threw a no hitter against the Jays and becme only the second Canadian in MLB history to do so. The last one was 73 years ago!

BReligion

Dr.G.
May 9th, 2018, 10:22 AM
Marc, Craig was also a great coach and manager...... a lot of guy are in the Hall due to his teachings. Didnít he go on the win a WS with St. Louis after the Mets stint.

Craig was the starting pitcher for the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game One of the 1959 World Series, a series in which he also started Game Four. Craig was also the starting pitcher for one game apiece in the 1955 and 1956 World Series with the Brooklyn Dodgers, and he also pitched in relief in two World Series games for the St. Louis Cardinals in 1964, winning one game. Craig's overall World Series record was two wins and two losses, and his teams won three of the four series.

Rps
May 9th, 2018, 10:51 AM
Not a bad record would you say Marc.

Rps
May 9th, 2018, 10:53 AM
On the baseball subject, I would be remiss to point out last night James Paxton, threw a no hitter against the Jays and becme only the second Canadian in MLB history to do so. The last one was 73 years ago!

BReligion

Yup, that would be Dick Fowler. What is interesting to me is that the Aís are no longer in Philly and the Browns are no longer in St. Louis. I think only hockey could match team movement to baseball.

Dr.G.
May 9th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Not a bad record would you say Marc.

I always liked him when he pitched for the Mets and was the manager of the SF Giants.

Rps
May 28th, 2018, 04:51 PM
While I am a purist at heart, it is with some sadness that I don't see our ball diamonds filled with kids playing the game. It seems that I am not alone. MLB and USA Baseball are running a modified version of the game to not only attract, but instruct and keep kids playing it. This, to me, is a good thing. According to Ralph Russo of AP the game has the following format changes:

1. six inning games
2.four batters per inning
3.three swings per batter with no balls or strikes called on taken pitches and a coach can side toss to the player and if no contact you can use a Tee.
4. six players who rotate positions with no outfielders but a centre field rover.
5. no catchers, but the coach can also catch.

The idea is to make the game such that the kids have more actual play and interactive.

Personally, I like the concept. This seems like a format to be active and teach fundamentals.

Thoughts.....

Dr.G.
May 28th, 2018, 05:45 PM
While I am a purist at heart, it is with some sadness that I don't see our ball diamonds filled with kids playing the game. It seems that I am not alone. MLB and USA Baseball are running a modified version of the game to not only attract, but instruct and keep kids playing it. This, to me, is a good thing. According to Ralph Russo of AP the game has the following format changes:

1. six inning games
3.three swings per batter with no balls or strikes called on taken pitches and a coach can side toss to the player and if no contact you can use a Tee.
4. six players who rotate positions with no outfielders but a centre field rover.

The idea is to make the game such that the kids have more actual play and interactive.

Personally, I like the concept. This seems like a format to be active and teach fundamentals.

Thoughts.....

Interesting. As a kid, I played pick-up games with my friends in the school playgrounds or at the various ball fields for public use around Flushing Meadows, where the 1939/40 World's Fair grounds were located and where they put the 1964/65 World's Fair. Back then, it was more about playing rather than keeping score or stats. We just had fun.

Rps
May 29th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Marc, I think sometimes we over think it as adults..... but I agree having fun is the key. Here in Windsor we are so diverse culturally, that I am beginning to see kids playing cricket in the parks. Nothing against that..... I see football ( both Soccer and North American ) Cricket, Tennis...but baseball not so much....this approach might get more kids into it.

Dr.G.
May 29th, 2018, 10:42 AM
Marc, I think sometimes we over think it as adults..... but I agree having fun is the key. Here in Windsor we are so diverse culturally, that I am beginning to see kids playing cricket in the parks. Nothing against that..... I see football ( both Soccer and North American ) Cricket, Tennis...but baseball not so much....this approach might get more kids into it.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

BReligion
May 29th, 2018, 02:23 PM

1. six inning games

Thoughts.....

My son (8) is playing a modified version of Softball (Fastpitch) now for all 7-9 year olds. They call it 4 Pitch. It's exactly as you said above, a fundementals league. Transitioning from T-Ball to full on Fastpitch.

6 Innings (or 7 if they really motor through it). Game starts at 6:15, no new inning can start past 8:00pm.
Field a full team (including "Fielding Pitcher", rover)
Safety Bag at 1st.
Hitting team to supply own pitcher, throwing 4 pitches, underhand (but no lob like slowpitch) per batter
Full catcher (all kids want to wear the gear!)
Play is dead like normal if there is one batter/runner, or when the ball is returned to the fielding pitcher or in the pitcher circle.
Only can cycle once through the batting order, "Last Batter" for the last kid who hasn't hit that inning.
Co-Ed.

It's a fun league, he had a blast last year.

BReligion

Dr.G.
May 29th, 2018, 02:24 PM
My son (8) is playing a modified version of Softball (Fastpitch) now for all 7-9 year olds. They call it 4 Pitch. It's exactly as you said above, a fundementals league. Transitioning from T-Ball to full on Fastpitch.

6 Innings (or 7 if they really motor through it). Game starts at 6:15, no new inning can start past 8:00pm.
Field a full team (including "Fielding Pitcher", rover)
Safety Bag at 1st.
Hitting team to supply own pitcher, throwing 4 pitches, underhand (but no lob like slowpitch) per batter
Full catcher (all kids want to wear the gear!)
Play is dead like normal if there is one batter/runner, or when the ball is returned to the fielding pitcher or in the pitcher circle.
Only can cycle once through the batting order, "Last Batter" for the last kid who hasn't hit that inning.
Co-Ed.

It's a fun league, he had a blast last year.

BReligion

An interesting format, BR. :clap:

Rps
Jun 23rd, 2018, 11:49 AM
If you are an American League East fan I feel sorry for you. Both Tampa Bay and Toronto are 6 games below 500 but are an amazing 17 games back. Baltimore is even worse....they are so far back that they are in another century,

The sad part is the Yanks and Sox. The Yanks and Sox, if they keep the same winning pace, are on track to win 112 and 106 games respectively. Keep in mind the Yanks had an extraordinary number of games rained out and have 4 to make up. That said, one of those teams will be a Wild Card, and as such, their great season will come down to one game........Western CFL fans understood this heartbreak for a long time. Maybe the answer is in having the top two teams in each division play and do away with the Wild Card......but you have to admit the WC race is exciting. Not sure what to think....... thoughts or is it just me on this?

Dr.G.
Jun 23rd, 2018, 01:57 PM
If you are an American League East fan I feel sorry for you. Both Tampa Bay and Toronto are 6 games below 500 but are an amazing 17 games back. Baltimore is even worse....they are so far back that they are in another century,

The sad part is the Yanks and Sox. The Yanks and Sox, if they keep the same winning pace, are on track to win 112 and 106 games respectively. Keep in mind the Yanks had an extraordinary number of games rained out and have 4 to make up. That said, one of those teams will be a Wild Card, and as such, their great season will come down to one game........Western CFL fans understood this heartbreak for a long time. Maybe the answer is in having the top two teams in each division play and do away with the Wild Card......but you have to admit the WC race is exciting. Not sure what to think....... thoughts or is it just me on this?

An interesting observation, Rp. Personally, I like the Wild Card.

Rps
Jun 24th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I think baseball is now approaching ďbrothismĒ. Brothism is a term I use to describe too much meddling . Baseball, in an attempt to speed up the game has changed a number of things, to the detriment many purist would think. But the latest ďrumourĒ is the MLB will move to the DH in both leagues. I, personally, think this will destroy the charm of the WS. But with the increasing amount of inter league play I think they have already started down that path. Much of this comes down to two things, in my opinion....1. the belief that baseball must be a homerun derby to bring in fans, and 2. Pitchers being hurt when they get on base ( the cure for this of course is getting in shape ). Thoughts....

Dr.G.
Jun 24th, 2018, 11:03 AM
I think baseball is now approaching ďbrothismĒ. Brothism is a term I use to describe too much meddling . Baseball, in an attempt to speed up the game has changed a number of things, to the detriment many purist would think. But the latest ďrumourĒ is the MLB will move to the DH in both leagues. I, personally, think this will destroy the charm of the WS. But with the increasing amount of inter league play I think they have already started down that path. Much of this comes down to two things, in my opinion....1. the belief that baseball must be a homerun derby to bring in fans, and 2. Pitchers being hurt when they get on base ( the cure for this of course is getting in shape ). Thoughts....

An interesting observation, Rp. Sadly, I see your point re home runs. Gone are the days when a well pitched game by both pitchers, who both pitched complete games, is now gone ......... and is not appreciated. I am torn re the DH. I do like inter-league play in that the NY Mets and NY Yankees get to go head-to-head.

Rps
Jun 24th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I think inter league was a fan ploy when attendance was down. They are having too many IL games in my opinion. What they should do is....

1. Limit the number of IL games played
2. Rotate through the leagues...it might take 6 years to have a fan see every team in the opposite league.
3. Reverse the rules.... you would play by the visiting teams rules not the home team. That way many teams will be able to see the other rules in their home fields. NY, Chicago, LA has the luxury of an AL and NL team, many do not.

Dr.G.
Jun 24th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I think inter league was a fan ploy when attendance was down. They are having too many IL games in my opinion. What they should do is....

1. Limit the number of IL games played
2. Rotate through the leagues...it might take 6 years to have a fan see every team in the opposite league.
3. Reverse the rules.... you would play by the visiting teams rules not the home team. That way many teams will be able to see the other rules in their home fields. NY, Chicago, LA has the luxury of an AL and NL team, many do not.

Interesting ideas, Rp. Not sure if the BB Commissioner's office will listen, however.

Dr.G.
Jul 2nd, 2018, 09:41 AM
44 years ago on April 8th, Hank Aaron became the Home Run King. Personally, I don't recognize the home run records set by Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa. Aaron, Mays, Mantle, et al .............. they were real champs.

Rps
Jul 2nd, 2018, 10:52 AM
44 years ago on April 8th, Hank Aaron became the Home Run King. Personally, I don't recognize the home run records set by Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire or Sammy Sosa. Aaron, Mays, Mantle, et al .............. they were real champs.

Ahhh the age of innocence. While the advanced drugs used today didnít exist in their era, it is unfortunate that when athletes get paid to win they ALL find a way to sneak an advantage. Aaron, Mays, Mantle probably had such an item...... the leagues just couldnít catch it, or more likely, they refused to look. But I will give you this..... if you were going to have 3 Aís heroes...... you would be hard pressed to find any better.

I always like Wills and Carew!

Dr.G.
Jul 2nd, 2018, 02:50 PM
Ahhh the age of innocence. While the advanced drugs used today didnít exist in their era, it is unfortunate that when athletes get paid to win they ALL find a way to sneak an advantage. Aaron, Mays, Mantle probably had such an item...... the leagues just couldnít catch it, or more likely, they refused to look. But I will give you this..... if you were going to have 3 Aís heroes...... you would be hard pressed to find any better.

I always like Wills and Carew!

Yes, Mays, Aaron, Mantle, et al, had an "item" ............... it was called ability.

Rps
Jul 2nd, 2018, 02:57 PM
Yes, Mays, Aaron, Mantle, et al, had an "item" ............... it was called ability.

Well you canít argue about that...they certainly had talent.

There is a rumour going around that MLB will start to change rules regarding the shift. They see it as slowing the game and limiting scoring. So it will be infielders with one foot on the infield. What a bunch of crap. Watching the games many players have such an open away that if they bunted a cripple without a cane could beat the throw. Why they do not bunt amazes me. What they need is more fundamental play.

Dr.G.
Jul 2nd, 2018, 04:53 PM

There is a rumour going around that MLB will start to change rules regarding the shift. They see it as slowing the game and limiting scoring. So it will be infielders with one foot on the infield. What a bunch of crap. Watching the games many players have such an open away that if they bunted a cripple without a cane could beat the throw. Why they do not bunt amazes me. What they need is more fundamental play.

Not sure how they can control this sort of shift. They used it against Ted Williams back in the 40s and 50s ............ did not help stop his hitting it all over the field. :clap:

Dr.G.
Jul 2nd, 2018, 04:56 PM
On this day, back in 1963, Juan Marichal outlasted Warren Spahn ............... for 16 innings. SIXTEEN! This is when starting pitchers could last more than their "allotted" 100 pitches per game.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july-2-1963-marichal-outduels-spahn-16-inning-thriller

Rps
Jul 2nd, 2018, 05:02 PM
Not sure how they can control this sort of shift. They used it against Ted Williams back in the 40s and 50s ............ did not help stop his hitting it all over the field. :clap:

True, but Williams played in an era where pitchers pitched inside, went 9 innings and the flow of the game was ďmove the line alongĒ. Today, we see basically 2 pitch pitchers. No one pitches inside, or high. In Williams day they were much crueller pitching and he had the sense to use the whole field. So if you tried to pitch inside he could opposite field the thing. His batting skill was amazing and again HE USED THE WHOLE FIELD. It is almost a catholic view today to hit for the ďlaunch angleĒ. Again home runs are what baseball sees as entertaining not player movement.

I mean really, what would you rather see a home run or a player trying for a triple?

In todayís world, even though the pitchers are stronger and faster, the fact that they arenít as mean, donít pitch high or inside, the guy would hit 700.

Rps
Jul 2nd, 2018, 05:05 PM
On this day, back in 1963, Juan Marichal outlasted Warren Spahn ............... for 16 innings. SIXTEEN! This is when starting pitchers could last more than their "allotted" 100 pitches per game.

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july-2-1963-marichal-outduels-spahn-16-inning-thriller

Never happen again. What you will see more of is 3 innings and out. Take SD, varied pitching...not great starters but in a 3 and out situation and their bull pen they should be up in the standings more than where they are.

Dr.G.
Jul 2nd, 2018, 05:20 PM
True, but Williams played in an era where pitchers pitched inside, went 9 innings and the flow of the game was ďmove the line alongĒ. Today, we see basically 2 pitch pitchers. No one pitches inside, or high. In Williams day they were much crueller pitching and he had the sense to use the whole field. So if you tried to pitch inside he could opposite field the thing. His batting skill was amazing and again HE USED THE WHOLE FIELD. It is almost a catholic view today to hit for the ďlaunch angleĒ. Again home runs are what baseball sees as entertaining not player movement.

I mean really, what would you rather see a home run or a player trying for a triple?

In todayís world, even though the pitchers are stronger and faster, the fact that they arenít as mean, donít pitch high or inside, the guy would hit 700.

An interesting observation, Rp. I remember asking my father why they called Sal Maglie "The Barber", and he told me that he would pitch so far inside and near a batter's head, that it was close enough to give the batter a shave.

Hall of Fame pitcher Don Drysdale credited Maglie with teaching him the art of brushing back batters while the two were teammates in Brooklyn.

Personally, I love to watch a batter hit triples. Those are my favorite hits. :clap:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_single-season_triples_leaders

Dr.G.
Jul 2nd, 2018, 05:26 PM
Never happen again. What you will see more of is 3 innings and out. Take SD, varied pitching...not great starters but in a 3 and out situation and their bull pen they should be up in the standings more than where they are.

True. Sometimes they let a pitcher go past 5 innings if they are pitching really well, or just 5 if the game is close. This way, the starting pitcher has a chance to get the win. I remember when Whitey Ford won 25 games in 1961, with Luis Arroyo his "saver". Ford would go 7 innings and then he would hand the ball over to Arroyo, who won 15 games on his own that year.

BReligion
Jul 3rd, 2018, 10:25 AM

Hopefully.. HOPEFULLY (but doubtful) players will start taking some damn BP and work at beating the shift, not just constantly trying to over power it.

When I used to play... yes.. pull the ball if your a pull hitter... but guess what after a couple of games against the same team they learn the hitters and shift the field to adjust.. always have. The "shift" is just a drastic adjustment of this on the infield. So baseball fundamentals, you learn to hit where they are not standing. :)
So what if your a power hitter.. the idea of the shift is percentages. So chop a single (or bunt as you say RPS) the other way. Yes a power hitter won't hit a dinger or extra bases, but you won't get out and the smallball over and over and over will beat the shift.

The other problem with the shift is now they are shifting everyone. When Madden first stared doing it, it was just to the big boys and it was radical and new. People didn't have a clue what was happening... now its ever other damn hitter it seems like.

BReligion

Rps
Jul 3rd, 2018, 11:05 AM
Breligion, right on! The issue is that they are forgetting how to play the game and relying on sabremeteics too much. Take the rumour that the NL will go to the DH....why, because pitchers get hurt running bases. The cure, get in better shape. As for the shift.....hitum where they ainít. The trouble is the NL is getting like the AL. No run manufacturing just home runs. We also donít value great pitching today.

BReligion
Jul 3rd, 2018, 11:26 AM
Breligion, right on! The issue is that they are forgetting how to play the game and relying on sabremeteics too much. Take the rumour that the NL will go to the DH....why, because pitchers get hurt running bases. The cure, get in better shape. As for the shift.....hitum where they ainít. The trouble is the NL is getting like the AL. No run manufacturing just home runs. We also donít value great pitching today.

It will be really interesting to see what people like Bumgarner, Greinke, Ohtani (he's in the AL so doesn't count) who want to hit will have to say if that changes... but as you say.

A) get in better shape. You know you are going to have to hit and run at some point so be ready.

B) I am just not as familiar.. but at what level to pitchers stop hitting? As kids, and throughout high school pitchers hit? And I believe in NCAA it's up to the coach and pitcher? So why does this suddenly stop?

I don't blame the pitchers, if you didn't hit and just played defensive position for years you would loose the hitters eye and mechanics. I think pitchers should take BP just like everyone else. So don't let them loose it. In the AL/NL have all pitchers take BP before the fielding players, every game..

BReligion

Rps
Jul 3rd, 2018, 03:50 PM
Breligion, there is something weird with ehMac and my iPad lately. Iíve posted some stuff and it has disappeared...and today I noticed an email response that you replied to a post here but your post is missing.

Oh well, I agree that in most cases in youth baseball and up pitchers hit. I think all pitchers should take batting practice and all players take bunting practice. In fact if I had an MLB team I would setup targets around the infield and have competitions as to see who could knock them down with bunts. And I donít mean BP pitchers, iíd Send out starters .

BReligion
Jul 3rd, 2018, 05:50 PM
Breligion, there is something weird with ehMac and my iPad lately. Iíve posted some stuff and it has disappeared...and today I noticed an email response that you replied to a post here but your post is missing.

It's not just your iPad.. happened to me as well today. Something up with the site.

...all players take bunting practice. In fact if I had an MLB team I would setup targets around the infield and have competitions as to see who could knock them down with bunts. And I donít mean BP pitchers, iíd Send out starters .

100% agree with the bunting... you think hitting homers is exciting to watch.. how about watching a suicide squeeze.. when was the last time you saw one of those? I think there was a safety squeeze in the Jays Tigers game on Saturday if I remember right. Bunting is a lost art form in today's game that's for sure.

BReligion

Dr.G.
Jul 3rd, 2018, 09:25 PM

Very good points, Rp. Location, location, location ............. basics, basics, basics.

Rps
Jul 4th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Now that we are in July, time to see how my predictions are doing. The Yanks are right there. However their 4 left rain out days may come back to hurt them, but I think everyone agrees that their last series, which is with Boston, will tell the tale. I got my easy chair all prepared.

My second choice in the AL, which are the Indians, are right where they should be...Detroit is a surprise, but I still think the Indians will take the WS.

Philly was my choice for the NL, and they, again, are right there. My team, Atlanta, is certainly surprising me......not a bad thing.

My last pick the Padres are last but I expect great things from them. What they are is actually 3 1/2 series out of it. They have a great pitching staff but the schedule is brutal. Not so sure if Arizona can hang on.

Iím still hearing rumours from my friends that the Mets will swap Syndergaard to the Giants for McCutcheon...... I know the Mets will be sellers, but he certainly will add to their selling power....which seems to be the requirements of all New York teams. The Yanks will be looking for a leftie..... good luck with that....who would trade one of those away.

Breligion, a friend of mine was a scout with the Expos. He stated that all rookies, and pitchers, had to learn the basics and he spent 2 weeks teaching them to slide into the bases .... I would bet the teams donít do that today.

So Iíve been tracking my choices for the WS. Would be interested in your 4 picks...two from each league.

Dr.G.
Jul 4th, 2018, 11:25 PM
Now that we are in July, time to see how my predictions are doing. The Yanks are right there. However their 4 left rain out days may come back to hurt them, but I think everyone agrees that their last series, which is with Boston, will tell the tale. I got my easy chair all prepared.

My second choice in the AL, which are the Indians, are right where they should be...Detroit is a surprise, but I still think the Indians will take the WS.

Philly was my choice for the NL, and they, again, are right there. My team, Atlanta, is certainly surprising me......not a bad thing.

My last pick the Padres are last but I expect great things from them. What they are is actually 3 1/2 series out of it. They have a great pitching staff but the schedule is brutal. Not so sure if Arizona can hang on.

Iím still hearing rumours from my friends that the Mets will swap Syndergaard to the Giants for McCutcheon...... I know the Mets will be sellers, but he certainly will add to their selling power....which seems to be the requirements of all New York teams. The Yanks will be looking for a leftie..... good luck with that....who would trade one of those away.

Breligion, a friend of mine was a scout with the Expos. He stated that all rookies, and pitchers, had to learn the basics and he spent 2 weeks teaching them to slide into the bases .... I would bet the teams donít do that today.

So Iíve been tracking my choices for the WS. Would be interested in your 4 picks...two from each league.

will have to give this some thought. we shall see

BReligion
Jul 5th, 2018, 09:51 AM
The Yanks will be looking for a leftie..... good luck with that....who would trade one of those away.

The rumour mill is the Jays will probably trade Happ to the Yanks at the deadline. He's a free agent at the end of the year so they could and probably would bring him back if he wanted to.

Probably not... a snowflake could get injured sliding into a base so why even train them to do so.... Oh I know! Because they WILL get hurt if they don't do it right. I believe Hill (pitcher) for the dodgers did just that last night (he is on my Fantasy Baseball team) and had to leave the game.

BReligion

Rps
Jul 5th, 2018, 12:01 PM
The rumour mill is the Jays will probably trade Happ to the Yanks at the deadline. He's a free agent at the end of the year so they could and probably would bring him back if he wanted to.

BReligion

Yanks have a great farm, but Seattle might be more likely. That said both he and Donaldson ( really a question mark on the trade market right now ) might be heading to the NL. Jays need arms and outfielders..... so I would look to Atlanta.

BReligion
Jul 5th, 2018, 12:56 PM
Yanks have a great farm, but Seattle might be more likely. That said both he and Donaldson ( really a question mark on the trade market right now ) might be heading to the NL. Jays need arms and outfielders..... so I would look to Atlanta.

They do have a great farm system, I think they (Yankees) are probably in the "Rent-A-Player" mode with Happ for the playoff run this year. If it weren't a free agency year for Happ I don't think the Jays would consider moving him as he's possibly the best pitcher they have at the moment.

BReligion

Dr.G.
Jul 5th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Houston, Boston, Cleveland and the Yankees will battle it out in the post-season, with Houston winning the AL pennant. The Cubs, Dodgers, Atlanta and Milwaukee will battle it out with the Cubs taking the NL pennant. While I will be rooting for the Cubs in this scenario, I think that Houston will take it all. We shall see.

Rps
Jul 7th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Houston, Boston, Cleveland and the Yankees will battle it out in the post-season, with Houston winning the AL pennant. The Cubs, Dodgers, Atlanta and Milwaukee will battle it out with the Cubs taking the NL pennant. While I will be rooting for the Cubs in this scenario, I think that Houston will take it all. We shall see.

Interesting picks Marc. While I picked Houston last year, Iím leaning toward Cleveland this year. Yanks and Boston will be interesting and, in a one game series such as the WC anything can happen. Cubs are also moving in the right direction. Not sure if Atlantaís pitching will hold up, they have hitting. The Cubs seem more rounded to me. Houston and Cubs would be fun to watch. As a wise man once said, ďweíll seeĒ

Dr.G.
Jul 7th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Interesting picks Marc. While I picked Houston last year, Iím leaning toward Cleveland this year. Yanks and Boston will be interesting and, in a one game series such as the WC anything can happen. Cubs are also moving in the right direction. Not sure if Atlantaís pitching will hold up, they have hitting. The Cubs seem more rounded to me. Houston and Cubs would be fun to watch. As a wise man once said, ďweíll seeĒ

Yes, we shall see, mon ami. Paix.

Rps
Jul 9th, 2018, 02:35 PM
A little baseball trivia for you. The Washington MLB baseball team became 3 MLB teams....what are their names. No cheating now!

Dr.G.
Jul 9th, 2018, 04:37 PM
A little baseball trivia for you. The Washington MLB baseball team became 3 MLB teams....what are their names. No cheating now!

The Washington Nationals, the Washington Senators and the current Washington Nationals.

Rps
Jul 9th, 2018, 04:46 PM
The Washington Nationals, the Washington Senators and the current Washington Nationals.

Well, that is a yes but no answer. I was going to wait to see if others would join in but what the h.......

Washington has an interesting history as one of the original MLB teams. Originally, they were called the Senators. Many called them the Nationals. And like most early ball teams were called by their city...thus the W which they still use today with the current Nationals. However, Washington had a history of poor teams and they relocated a number of time. When the Senators first moved from D.C. they went to Minnesota and became the Twins. The Senators/ Nationals resurfaced later in Washington but again poor records doomed the team and they moved to Texas to become the Rangers.

So Washington was the root for the Senators, Twins, Rangers......and if you count the current Nationals ( but they shouldnít count as they were relocated from Montreal ) and the old Nationals...5 teams.

Dr.G.
Jul 9th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Well, that is a yes but no answer. I was going to wait to see if others would join in but what the h.......

Washington has an interesting history as one of the original MLB teams. Originally, they were called the Senators. Many called them the Nationals. And like most early ball teams were called by their city...thus the W which they still use today with the current Nationals. However, Washington had a history of poor teams and they relocated a number of time. When the Senators first moved from D.C. they went to Minnesota and became the Twins. The Senators/ Nationals resurfaced later in Washington but again poor records doomed the team and they moved to Texas to become the Rangers.

So Washington was the root for the Senators, Twins, Rangers......and if you count the current Nationals ( but they shouldnít count as they were relocated from Montreal ) and the old Nationals...5 teams.

Oops. I misread the initial question. I could have answered it correctly, but mea culpa.

Rps
Jul 10th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Another baseball trivia for you. What team was the indirect granting of the Blue Jays?

Dr.G.
Jul 10th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Another baseball trivia for you. What team was the indirect granting of the Blue Jays?

Is "indirect granting" the same as naming? If so, "Blue Jays" was chosen by majority owner Labatt Breweries, an overt tie-in with its feature brand of beer at the time, Labatt Blue.

Rps
Jul 10th, 2018, 08:14 PM
Is "indirect granting" the same as naming? If so, "Blue Jays" was chosen by majority owner Labatt Breweries, an overt tie-in with its feature brand of beer at the time, Labatt Blue.

Actually I was looking for the Seattle Pilots. Seattle was granted a franchise but had little money, in fact they declared bankrupcy during their first and only season. They played at Sickís Field, how ironic. The team cut a deal with Seattle to build a new stadium....which was the Kingdome. But with the bankrupcy the city went after MLB. The Pilots moved to become the Brewers. MLB had a problem, if they relented and gave Seattle a new team there would be an imbalance. Kansas City was slightly involved as they didnít want to have KC without a team which expedited the Pilots into existence. So MLB granted Seattle The Mariners and granted Toronto the Blue Jays to balance the schedule. Thius if it wasnít for the Pilots we probably wouldnít have the Blue Jays.....interesting no?

Aurora
Jul 10th, 2018, 08:20 PM
I thought the Bluejays was named after a contest in which a couple won and was granted permanent seats at the Skydome. (The Bluejay being the bird of Ontario)

Dr.G.
Jul 10th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Actually I was looking for the Seattle Pilots. Seattle was granted a franchise but had little money, in fact they declared bankrupcy during their first and only season. They played at Sickís Field, how ironic. The team cut a deal with Seattle to build a new stadium....which was the Kingdome. But with the bankrupcy the city went after MLB. The Pilots moved to become the Brewers. MLB had a problem, if they relented and gave Seattle a new team there would be an imbalance. Kansas City was slightly involved as they didnít want to have KC without a team which expedited the Pilots into existence. So MLB granted Seattle The Mariners and granted Toronto the Blue Jays to balance the schedule. Thius if it wasnít for the Pilots we probably wouldnít have the Blue Jays.....interesting no?

Very interesting, Rp. :clap::clap:

Rps
Jul 10th, 2018, 10:34 PM
I thought the Bluejays was named after a contest in which a couple won and was granted permanent seats at the Skydome. (The Bluejay being the bird of Ontario)

If you mean the official bird of Ontario, I think it is the loon. The Blue Jays was the name that the owner of the Phillies wanted for the team but didnít name them as such.. if you check out older uniforms you will see a Blue Jay on the sleeve. As for the Toronto teamís name you are right the team had a contest and Labatts picked the name.

Dr.G.
Jul 18th, 2018, 05:41 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/commissioner-rob-manfred-hopes-mlb-expands-to-32-teams-names-potential-markets/

...certainly Montreal, maybe Vancouver, in Canada ...." We shall see.

Rps
Jul 18th, 2018, 07:56 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/commissioner-rob-manfred-hopes-mlb-expands-to-32-teams-names-potential-markets/

...certainly Montreal, maybe Vancouver, in Canada ...." We shall see.

Personally, I think Montreal is a non starter. The Olympic Stadium is a junk pile for baseball . To me Las Vegas seems the key to baseball expansion and alignment. Vancouver and Seattle would be like Chicago (Cubs and Sox ). But I donít see it happening. Seattle down is a weird setup. Padres, Dodgers, Giants in the NL then the Aís and Angels in the AL. Arizona and Rockies might like a Las Vegas team to cut down on travel.

If I was a betting man, Mexico would be the most logical next step.

Dr.G.
Jul 18th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Personally, I think Montreal is a non starter. The Olympic Stadium is a junk pile for baseball . To me Las Vegas seems the key to baseball expansion and alignment. Vancouver and Seattle would be like Chicago (Cubs and Sox ). But I donít see it happening. Seattle down is a weird setup. Padres, Dodgers, Giants in the NL then the Aís and Angels in the AL. Arizona and Rockies might like a Las Vegas team to cut down on travel.

If I was a betting man, Mexico would be the most logical next step.

I am rooting for Montreal. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jul 19th, 2018, 01:16 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786264-2018-world-series-odds-for-every-mlb-team-at-the-all-star-break?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide7

An interesting analysis. Sadly, my SF Giants stand at 99-1. We shall see.

Rps
Jul 19th, 2018, 01:34 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786264-2018-world-series-odds-for-every-mlb-team-at-the-all-star-break?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial#slide7

An interesting analysis. Sadly, my SF Giants stand at 99-1. We shall see.

Iím still holding a Cleveland Phillies series with a Cleveland win.

Dr.G.
Jul 19th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Iím still holding a Cleveland Phillies series with a Cleveland win.

We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jul 19th, 2018, 05:01 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/giants-in-contention-for-nl-west-title/c-286249496

"Where there is Life, there is hope." We shall see.

Rps
Jul 19th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Marc the Giants are really a series and a half out. They are in a strange division. The Dodgers have played 3 less games than the Giants and those games could bite them if they were made up against SF and SF swept.....not out of line. Rumours abound about Syndergaard going to them. Many are thinking deGromm....but the Cubs have the inside track if the Mets pull the trigger. Donít think I would, but Syndergaard for McCutchon doesnít seem to want to go away....... as a wise man once said, ďwe shall seeĒ.

Dr.G.
Jul 19th, 2018, 08:23 PM
Marc the Giants are really a series and a half out. They are in a strange division. The Dodgers have played 3 less games than the Giants and those games could bite them if they were made up against SF and SF swept.....not out of line. Rumours abound about Syndergaard going to them. Many are thinking deGromm....but the Cubs have the inside track if the Mets pull the trigger. Donít think I would, but Syndergaard for McCutchon doesnít seem to want to go away....... as a wise man once said, ďwe shall seeĒ.

True. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G.
Jul 26th, 2018, 05:00 PM
https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-have-deal-in-place-for-ja-happ/c-287460642

Wonder if this will come to pass? We shall see.

Rps
Jul 27th, 2018, 10:49 AM
https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-have-deal-in-place-for-ja-happ/c-287460642

Wonder if this will come to pass? We shall see.

Nice pickup for the Yanks.....but it signals defeat for the Jays. With 2 months left the Toronto fans will stay away in droves now. Time to bring up Big G if they want to have anyone there.

Still think Syndergaard is on the block, rumours have deGrom but why would you trade him. Been looking at the Aís, they could be a surprise.

Dr.G.
Jul 27th, 2018, 11:00 AM
Nice pickup for the Yanks.....but it signals defeat for the Jays. With 2 months left the Toronto fans will stay away in droves now. Time to bring up Big G if they want to have anyone there.

Still think Syndergaard is on the block, rumours have deGrom but why would you trade him. Been looking at the Aís, they could be a surprise.

Yes, sad to see Happ go ......... especially to the NY Yankees. :mad:

BReligion
Jul 27th, 2018, 12:17 PM
Yes, sad to see Happ go ......... especially to the NY Yankees. :mad:

Boooo Yankees :ptptptptp.. and they picked up Britton from the Orioles...that's a nasty looking pen now.

BReligion

Rps
Jul 27th, 2018, 01:11 PM
Boooo Yankees :ptptptptp.. and they picked up Britton from the Orioles...that's a nasty looking pen now.

BReligion

I donít think they are done yet. I think they are looking for any one Boston would key on to sword them. Rumour has it Granderson is next.....would think that a great pickup....heís a calming influence guy. Now with Judge out....might be interesting in the compensation department with Toronto as Toronto didnít exactly get any star power for Happ. Now the Yanks could really stone everyone if they went after deGromm.....and it might just happen.

Dr.G.
Jul 27th, 2018, 01:24 PM

BReligion

I agree. I am still hoping for a Blue Jays/SF Giants world series. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jul 27th, 2018, 07:30 PM
I have never understood why teams that are out of the pennant race rush to trade their stars away rather than to try and build around them. I also do not understand why teams put a noose around their necks with long-term multi-multi million dollar salaries that drain them year after year after year.

Rps
Jul 27th, 2018, 08:08 PM
I have never understood why teams that are out of the pennant race rush to trade their stars away rather than to try and build around them. I also do not understand why teams put a noose around their necks with long-term multi-multi million dollar salaries that drain them year after year after year.

Well those are both $64,000 questions. Dumping tends to be stars who are in the last year of their contract who the team thinks wonít stay...so they trade them away in hopes of getting some players who will. Thatís who they will build around. You here the term ďunder controlĒ, which means their contracts extends for a few years and the team controls their destiny. Happ wasnít one of those. He was in the renewal year.

As for huge contracts two things. The publication of what a player makes and greed.
If no one knew what the other players were making the salaries would probably be lower. Itís the I had a better year complaint. As for greed, itís both player and owner. Salaries were held in check ( or collusion depending on who you talk to ) . Then came the break with the unwritten agreement....you may remember when Philly signed Pete Rose....that opened up the floodgates again. In short dumb owners. Remember teams are held by big ego owners who use it as a toy, or held by media companies as a form of cheap programming. If the owners of teams actually had their team as their only form of business.....you wouldnít need to ask that question. I donít think there is a pro team anywhere that it is the only business the owner has.

Dr.G.
Jul 27th, 2018, 09:16 PM
Well those are both $64,000 questions. Dumping tends to be stars who are in the last year of their contract who the team thinks wonít stay...so they trade them away in hopes of getting some players who will. Thatís who they will build around. You here the term ďunder controlĒ, which means their contracts extends for a few years and the team controls their destiny. Happ wasnít one of those. He was in the renewal year.

As for huge contracts two things. The publication of what a player makes and greed.
If no one knew what the other players were making the salaries would probably be lower. Itís the I had a better year complaint. As for greed, itís both player and owner. Salaries were held in check ( or collusion depending on who you talk to ) . Then came the break with the unwritten agreement....you may remember when Philly signed Pete Rose....that opened up the floodgates again. In short dumb owners. Remember teams are held by big ego owners who use it as a toy, or held by media companies as a form of cheap programming. If the owners of teams actually had their team as their only form of business.....you wouldnít need to ask that question. I donít think there is a pro team anywhere that it is the only business the owner has.

Valid points, Rp. I recall when the NY Mets signed George Foster for 3 million dollars ............... and he never played a single game for them. He was not injured, but just did not want to play anymore. The Mets were on the hook for the whole sum of money due to some strange clause in his contract. :confused::eek::mad:

Dr.G.
Jul 29th, 2018, 01:22 PM
Happ set for Yankees debut vs. Royals. I wanted him to win when he was with Toronto ............. now, I am not so sure.

Rps
Jul 29th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Happ set for Yankees debut vs. Royals. I wanted him to win when he was with Toronto ............. now, I am not so sure.

Well not so sure the Yanks canít use the win. They are 3.5 games out ( if you take into consideration the 3 rainout games yet to play) which makes their last series all the more important. They need to be 2 games over pace to have control on that series. So while it is early....I always maintain that teams should focus on winning series as games are unpredictable.... that said you donít want it to come down to playing games. The Yanks might be in the games range soon if they are not careful.

And my thought of the day......the Nationals fires Dusty Baker because........., that team is in trouble....I think itís headspace problems. If I owned the team Baker would still be there and Harper would be gone.

Dr.G.
Jul 29th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Well not so sure the Yanks canít use the win. They are 3.5 games out ( if you take into consideration the 3 rainout games yet to play) which makes their last series all the more important. They need to be 2 games over pace to have control on that series. So while it is early....I always maintain that teams should focus on winning series as games are unpredictable.... that said you donít want it to come down to playing games. The Yanks might be in the games range soon if they are not careful.

And my thought of the day......the Nationals fires Dusty Baker because........., that team is in trouble....I think itís headspace problems. If I owned the team Baker would still be there and Harper would be gone.

A valid point, Rp.

Re Dusty Baker, I always liked him when he managed my SF Giants.

Rps
Jul 29th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Weíve been hearing some talk lately about MLB adding two more teams...1 per league so they could have a balanced league....4 divisions 4 teams in each. I think that approach would hurt the game as many now love the 2 Wild Card teams. If they have 4 x 4 that would kill the WC and turn off many fans. Thoughts.

Dr.G.
Jul 29th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Weíve been hearing some talk lately about MLB adding two more teams...1 per league so they could have a balanced league....4 divisions 4 teams in each. I think that approach would hurt the game as many now love the 2 Wild Card teams. If they have 4 x 4 that would kill the WC and turn off many fans. Thoughts.

I like the wild card race. I am not a fan of the designated hitter, but do see some changes as important ................. especially those that speed up a game. Three plus hours to watch a game is insane.

Dr.G.
Jul 30th, 2018, 01:43 PM
This week: Bruce Bochy passed Casey Stengel for 11th place on the all-time managerial wins list!

Rps
Jul 30th, 2018, 02:32 PM
This week: Bruce Bochy passed Casey Stengel for 11th place on the all-time managerial wins list!

Thatís because Bochy never managed the Mets!:lmao:

Dr.G.
Jul 30th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Thatís because Bochy never managed the Mets!:lmao:

:lmao::clap::lmao:

"There are three things you can do in a baseball game. You can win, or you can lose, or it can rain." Casey Stengel

"The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed."
Casey Stengel

Dr.G.
Jul 30th, 2018, 03:10 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788408-what-if-mlb-teams-could-loan-their-biggest-superstars-at-the-deadline?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

I am NOT in favor of this idea.

Rps
Jul 30th, 2018, 03:21 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2788408-what-if-mlb-teams-could-loan-their-biggest-superstars-at-the-deadline?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

I am NOT in favor of this idea.

I have to agree with you here...although there are the ďcomebacksĒ for dead line trades. But, soccer is about the sport where baseball is about the team. Loaning also opens the door for collusion and series fixing and bad boys and gambling.

Now I would be open to a relegation system. I think baseball could do it with ďAĒ, ďAAĒ and ďAAAĒ.

Dr.G.
Jul 30th, 2018, 05:53 PM
I have to agree with you here...although there are the ďcomebacksĒ for dead line trades. But, soccer is about the sport where baseball is about the team. Loaning also opens the door for collusion and series fixing and bad boys and gambling.

Now I would be open to a relegation system. I think baseball could do it with ďAĒ, ďAAĒ and ďAAAĒ.

An interesting idea, Rp. I still fondly remember the two league, 8 teams in each league days ................... along with the six teams in the NHL. Such is Life. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G.
Jul 31st, 2018, 11:37 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-trade-deadline-rumors-nationals-make-slugger-available-indians-check-in/

I don't understand their willingness to trade Harper. We shall see.

Rps
Jul 31st, 2018, 03:05 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/bryce-harper-trade-deadline-rumors-nationals-make-slugger-available-indians-check-in/

I don't understand their willingness to trade Harper. We shall see.

Iíve heard rumours that he was on the block before. Personally, I would trade him for two reasons.... he will soon be a free agent and most important of all... he doesnít strike me as a team guy, and if he goes that will be the reason why...heís not a team guy.

Dr.G.
Jul 31st, 2018, 03:36 PM
Iíve heard rumours that he was on the block before. Personally, I would trade him for two reasons.... he will soon be a free agent and most important of all... he doesnít strike me as a team guy, and if he goes that will be the reason why...heís not a team guy.

I see your point, especially with his not being a "team player". We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jul 31st, 2018, 11:05 PM
The NY Mets are losing to the Washington Nationals 24-1. Hard to watch this game since I still like the Mets. :(

Dr.G.
Aug 1st, 2018, 09:12 AM
25 to 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a blowout. :(

Rps
Aug 1st, 2018, 10:54 AM
25 to 4 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a blowout. :(

I watched it as well. Man what a blow out and you could see it coming. They were soul less. I didnít get the Nats play either prior to last night, they arenít that far out and played so poorly...maybe the passing of the trade line woke them up. As for the Mets, I think the management tossed in the towel this year. I donít believe in marking trades for trades sake but they have some gaps and donít seem to be bringing guys up from their system. You would think Atlanta would have been the example.

Dr.G.
Aug 1st, 2018, 11:20 AM
I watched it as well. Man what a blow out and you could see it coming. They were soul less. I didnít get the Nats play either prior to last night, they arenít that far out and played so poorly...maybe the passing of the trade line woke them up. As for the Mets, I think the management tossed in the towel this year. I donít believe in marking trades for trades sake but they have some gaps and donít seem to be bringing guys up from their system. You would think Atlanta would have been the example.

Sadly, all too true, Rp. :(:-(

Dr.G.
Aug 1st, 2018, 01:57 PM
Mets are now losing 3-0. :(

Dr.G.
Aug 1st, 2018, 03:39 PM
Yankees losing to Baltimore 7-1 in the third inning. :)

Dr.G.
Aug 2nd, 2018, 07:46 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-releases-postseason-schedule-and-it-doesnt-include-any-november-baseball/

Very good to hear.

Dr.G.
Aug 2nd, 2018, 08:02 PM
Yankees about to start a 4 game series against Boston at Fenway. Should be interesting. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Aug 3rd, 2018, 09:57 AM
Yanks get blown away by Boston ............ and the Giants and Jays win.

Rps
Aug 3rd, 2018, 11:27 AM
Yanks get blown away by Boston ............ and the Giants and Jays win.

Man ! There were some wild scores last night...10, 17, 21 run wins.....

This is an important week for Atlanta and New York as they make up some of the rain out games....a loss on those could do much damage to their hopes of staying out of the wild card.....

Dr.G.
Aug 3rd, 2018, 02:04 PM
Man ! There were some wild scores last night...10, 17, 21 run wins.....

This is an important week for Atlanta and New York as they make up some of the rain out games....a loss on those could do much damage to their hopes of staying out of the wild card.....

Yes, ever since the Nationals blew away the Mets 25-4 on July 31st, there seems to be more double digit run games by certain teams. Strange.

Dr.G.
Aug 3rd, 2018, 09:51 PM
Things are not looking good for the Yankees again tonight. :)

Dr.G.
Aug 4th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Yankees lose another one to Boston. Looks as if the Wild Card spot is their last hope to make the playoffs. We shall see.

Rps
Aug 5th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Yankees lose another one to Boston. Looks as if the Wild Card spot is their last hope to make the playoffs. We shall see.

Itís not over yet but with the Aís and Mariners chugging along it might just be the Yanks win 100 plus games and not make the playoffs. That would be wild. They are in need of pitching and the DL hasnít been kind either. Still my money is on Cleveland.

Dr.G.
Aug 5th, 2018, 11:48 AM
Itís not over yet but with the Aís and Mariners chugging along it might just be the Yanks win 100 plus games and not make the playoffs. That would be wild. They are in need of pitching and the DL hasnít been kind either. Still my money is on Cleveland.

We shall see, mon ami. Should be an interesting finish.

Rps
Aug 5th, 2018, 12:04 PM
We shall see, mon ami. Should be an interesting finish.

And then come the firings. Iíve got to think Gibby is done in Toronto. While I didnít like his management style much I have to say he has done a pretty good job duck taping the Jays this year. Would love to see Dusty here, but we might just see an ex-Yankee manager here if he is not working in Florida.

As for the Jays, Iíd dump their management team. The Jays have a history of firing general managers to soon....just ask Ash, and some guy in Atlanta. Both built good teams but didnít hang around long enough to get the credit they deserved.

Rps
Aug 5th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Marc, your Giants are an interesting team standings wise. They are only what 5 games out and at 500, how would you like to be Tampa at +1 and 20 games out.....

Dr.G.
Aug 5th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Marc, your Giants are an interesting team standings wise. They are only what 5 games out and at 500, how would you like to be Tampa at +1 and 20 games out.....

I just want to see the Giants in the World Series again .......... regardless of how they get there.

Dr.G.
Aug 6th, 2018, 09:49 AM
The Yankees get swept by Boston at Fenwick. Going to be a long summer in The Bronx this year.

Rps
Aug 6th, 2018, 11:29 AM
The Yankees get swept by Boston at Fenwick. Going to be a long summer in The Bronx this year.

Could be. The issue here is that they have lost their pitching. They are a fairly rounded team in these usual times ( read Phillies leading in errors and leading their division). However they are burning through the games in hand. Unless they right the ship they could run out of runway. And the Aís just keep rollin. Is it even possible to think the Yanks could win 100 games and not being one of the two WC teams........

Dr.G.
Aug 6th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Could be. The issue here is that they have lost their pitching. They are a fairly rounded team in these usual times ( read Phillies leading in errors and leading their division). However they are burning through the games in hand. Unless they right the ship they could run out of runway. And the Aís just keep rollin. Is it even possible to think the Yanks could win 100 games and not being one of the two WC teams........

We shall see, mon ami ............... we shall see. Still a great many games to play.

Dr.G.
Aug 7th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Can't believe that the SF Giant's bullpen blew their 1-0 lead in the 9th inning. :(

Rps
Aug 7th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Can't believe that the SF Giant's bullpen blew their 1-0 lead in the 9th inning. :(

Yup, that one hurts.

Dr.G.
Aug 7th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Yup, that one hurts.

:(:(:(

Dr.G.
Aug 7th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Can't believe that the SF Giant's bullpen lost another game, after a good performance by MadBum, this time in the 8th inning. :(

Rps
Aug 7th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Can't believe that the SF Giant's bullpen lost another game, after a good performance by MadBum, this time in the 8th inning. :(

That is why it gave credence to the rumour of Syndergaard heading there....I was surprised they didnít shore up their pitching staff. If they donít do it soon they are done.

Dr.G.
Aug 7th, 2018, 11:22 PM
That is why it gave credence to the rumour of Syndergaard heading there....I was surprised they didnít shore up their pitching staff. If they donít do it soon they are done.

A valid point, Rp.

Dr.G.
Aug 7th, 2018, 11:22 PM
Looks like the Toronto bullpen failed them as well. Such is Life. :(

Rps
Aug 8th, 2018, 11:40 AM
Looks like the Toronto bullpen failed them as well. Such is Life. :(

Well, what else is new. Itís strange that fans can see the team gaps but management canít...or refuses to do anything.

Gibby is done for sure,and as I previously said I donít like his style but with the way the team was hit by injuries and such this certainly wasnít his team. I wouldnít fire him as I donít think he deserves it. This could be the Dusty Syndrome, just in Toronto,

The Jays could use a bat.....Bautista seems to be doing as nicely as one can with the Mets....and they had him.

I do not like their General Manager and President. Also, as Iíve previously posted they had ďa guyĒ ...letís see..he was with the Dodgers....what did they do....then the Braves....what did they do......

One could ask about the Jayís brain trust.......what have they done!

Dr.G.
Aug 8th, 2018, 12:37 PM
Well, what else is new. Itís strange that fans can see the team gaps but management canít...or refuses to do anything.

Gibby is done for sure,and as I previously said I donít like his style but with the way the team was hit by injuries and such this certainly wasnít his team. I wouldnít fire him as I donít think he deserves it. This could be the Dusty Syndrome, just in Toronto,

The Jays could use a bat.....Bautista seems to be doing as nicely as one can with the Mets....and they had him.

I do not like their General Manager and President. Also, as Iíve previously posted they had ďa guyĒ ...letís see..he was with the Dodgers....what did they do....then the Braves....what did they do......

One could ask about the Jayís brain trust.......what have they done!

Again, all valid points, Rp.

BReligion
Aug 9th, 2018, 10:51 AM

Such is the curse of Toronto FranchisesÖ the fans don't mean anything, corporate money talks. The majority of seat sales are corporate so arses will be in seats, money will be made without having to spend major bucks on producing anything of quality on the field/ice/court.

The Jays made a run of spending money... ramp up the merch (jersey) sales, now sit back and ride that wave until the next time it's needed and sales are down. Pretty nice when your the only game in town/country.. I always thought there were antitrust laws/rules in business :rolleyes:

With that in mind, I was at the game last night.. sure were lots of people lined up for a free jersey.

Great game however (well mostly for the guy who was proudly wearing his sox jersey and hat)Ö The wife who was wearing her Martin Jersey told me to shut up several times lol.

BReligion

Rps
Aug 9th, 2018, 11:28 AM
BR, for the most part pro sports have always been a cash box in Toronto. About the only reasonable pro sport in the city is the Argos. Notice that a number of NFL cities are beginning to promote discount food this year. The Mets have a Coco-Cola value pack, a ticket, cap, dog and coke for $15. Iíd go for that. I think Chicago or is it Philly has $1 dog days. As long as the suits buy the tickets there will be a team. Regular fans have to show up for their dollars to be noticed, again I remember the Knot Hole Gang in Edmonton in Clarke Stadium, kids tickets were $.25....but that was a long time ago.....those kids grew up to buy the high price seats. I also remember the general admission seats for the Jays and Argos $.99 we often took the whole family to the games. The Jays and Argos are in trouble and they need to bring those type of promotions back or the video game world of todayís youth will not come out to the games.

BReligion
Aug 9th, 2018, 12:00 PM
Oh that's what I mean.. I was told about a period in TO a while ago.. were residents of Toronto were given a special card, and could go to Jays games for that price just to be able to have the appearance of fans in seats.

Don't get me wrong, the rogers center has done some good things.. You are allowed to bring in your own food (I still have to buy the $11 garrison footlong dog, so that's never going to change) but at least when I take the family I can bring snacks for the boy and not have to leave completely broke. You can bring in your own empty water bottle (have to find a fountain, unfortunately they haven't installed water stations)Ö but still the wife likes a cold pop.. $6.25 for a 300ml bottle is outrageous. Next time bringing that too from the outside. I will never understand why they feel the need to charge so much. Make it more accessible you will sell more.... i am sure someone with some degree has weigh out the cost analysis and it's still in their favour. I won't get into the Beer prices, because that's crazy anywhere.

I really like that here in Hamilton, a ride on the HSR (Bus system) is free with a valid TiCats ticket on game day. When we had seasons tickets for the Cats a few years ago, we took the bus to almost every game rather then dealing with parking (and there is free parking by the stadium if you go early enough, unlike TO). It would be amazing if the Toronto sports teams partnered with Metrolinx and the TTC to do something like that! I haven't driven to a Jays game in years... saving me $40 on GO Train transport would be awesome.

BReligion

BReligion

Rps
Aug 9th, 2018, 01:14 PM
BR, when you consider that somewhere in the value chain for the Toronto Sports teams there is Civic, Provincial, and probably Federal money I would not be opposed to the free transit to the games as we probably paid for it anyway.

Rps
Aug 9th, 2018, 01:15 PM
BR, when you consider that somewhere in the value chain for the Toronto Sports teams there is Civic, Provincial, and probably Federal money I would not be opposed to the free transit to the games, as we have paid for it anyway.

Rps
Aug 9th, 2018, 02:23 PM
Lifted from todayís TSN. Amen Brother itís Werth the read...

Super nerds" are killing the game of baseball.
That is the assessment of the modern game from former All-Star outfielder Jayson Werth.
Werth, 39, recently espoused his views on an edition of Philadelphia's WIP-FM personality Howard Eskin's podcast.
"They've got all these super nerds in the front office that know nothing about baseball but they like to project numbers and project players," Werth said of teams' usage of analytics. "...I think it's killing the game. It's to the point where just put computers out there. Just put laptops and what have you, just put them out there and let them play. We don't even need to go out there anymore. It's a joke.
A native of Springfield, IL, Werth spent 15 years in the big leagues with the Toronto Blue Jays, Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies and Washington Nationals. He won the World Series as a member of the Phillies in 2008.
Werth had been playing with the Tacoma Rainiers of the Pacific Coast League, the Seattle Mariners' Triple-A affiliate, but stepped away from the team in June. He has yet to officially retire.
Werth decries the usage of expertise from people who have never played the game before at a high level.
"When they come down, these kids from MIT or Stanford or Harvard, wherever they're from, they've never played baseball in their life," Werth said. "When they come down to talk about stuff like [defensive shifts] ... should I just bunt it over there? They're like, 'No, don't do that. We don't want you to do that. We want you to hit a homer.' It's just not baseball to me."
A career .267 hitter, Werth believes the reliance on analytics is hurting the game's entertainment value.
"We're creating something that's not fun to watch," Werth said. "It's boring. You're turning players into robots. They've taken the human element out of the game."

Dr.G.
Aug 9th, 2018, 03:03 PM

That is the assessment of the modern game from former All-Star outfielder Jayson Werth.
Werth, 39, recently espoused his views on an edition of Philadelphia's WIP-FM personality Howard Eskin's podcast.
"They've got all these super nerds in the front office that know nothing about baseball but they like to project numbers and project players," Werth said of teams' usage of analytics. "...I think it's killing the game. It's to the point where just put computers out there. Just put laptops and what have you, just put them out there and let them play. We don't even need to go out there anymore. It's a joke.
A native of Springfield, IL, Werth spent 15 years in the big leagues with the Toronto Blue Jays, Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies and Washington Nationals. He won the World Series as a member of the Phillies in 2008.
Werth had been playing with the Tacoma Rainiers of the Pacific Coast League, the Seattle Mariners' Triple-A affiliate, but stepped away from the team in June. He has yet to officially retire.
Werth decries the usage of expertise from people who have never played the game before at a high level.
"When they come down, these kids from MIT or Stanford or Harvard, wherever they're from, they've never played baseball in their life," Werth said. "When they come down to talk about stuff like [defensive shifts] ... should I just bunt it over there? They're like, 'No, don't do that. We don't want you to do that. We want you to hit a homer.' It's just not baseball to me."
A career .267 hitter, Werth believes the reliance on analytics is hurting the game's entertainment value.
"We're creating something that's not fun to watch," Werth said. "It's boring. You're turning players into robots. They've taken the human element out of the game."

I have to agree. I saw the movie "Moneyball" and wondered how they could break down baseball to a matter of math stats. As well, I never saw the reason for a manager suffering the fate of being fired when his players did not perform as a team.

Rps
Aug 9th, 2018, 03:16 PM
The problem is that players have forgotten basic skills and have relied too much on analytics. You notice that if they donít know a hitter there is no shift. You want to stop the shift, use the whole field and BUNT once in a while. And soooooooooooo many base running errors. The Met game had a classic error. Also, I wish they would dump the video review....only keep it for the long home runs on the wall. I mean if you canít tell in 30 seconds then donít overturn the call. And donít get me on about sliding into bases........

BReligion
Aug 9th, 2018, 03:18 PM

"They've got all these super nerds in the front office that know nothing about baseball but they like to project numbers and project players," Werth said of teams' usage of analytics.

+1

One of my favourite quotes of all time from The Simpsons about statistics...

Kent Brockman: "Mr. Simpson, how do you respond to the charge that petty vandalism such as graffiti is down 80%, while heavy sack beatings are up a shocking 900%."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent, forfty per cent of all people know that."

I know this has been discussed before in this thread and he said it in the interview (which is awesome!), but I must have said a half dozen times last night out loud at the Rogers Centre last night "Bunt... just drop a bunt and beat the hell out of that stupid shift... no one will see it coming..." Alas, no bunt, not even a show of one to adjust the infield and keep them honest.

BReligion

Dr.G.
Aug 9th, 2018, 08:53 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Jays are leading the Red Sox, the best team in baseball. Now, let's see what happens in the next seven innings.

Dr.G.
Aug 9th, 2018, 11:02 PM
The bullpen held and the Jays beat Boston. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

BReligion
Aug 10th, 2018, 11:20 AM
The bullpen held and the Jays beat Boston. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup great game... and not to take away from the Jays Win, but Mookie Betts hit for the cycle :clap:

BReligion

Dr.G.
Aug 10th, 2018, 12:14 PM
Yup great game... and not to take away from the Jays Win, but Mookie Betts hit for the cycle :clap:

BReligion

Yes, a great game for Mookie Betts.

SINC
Aug 13th, 2018, 06:22 AM
A little something for you baseball fans.

_IYq-asSpyw

Rps
Aug 13th, 2018, 09:35 AM
Sinc, I saw that! That might just beat out Cespedesí toss when he was a ďAĒ. And it didnít dip...right into the glove chest high...what a throw!

BReligion
Aug 13th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Heck of a throw!

BReligion

Dr.G.
Aug 13th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Sinc, I saw that! That might just beat out Cespedesí toss when he was a ďAĒ. And it didnít dip...right into the glove chest high...what a throw!

Heck of a throw!

BReligion

Reminds me of a throw I saw Willie Mays make against the Ron Hunt of the NY Mets in the old Polo Grounds in 1963. He caught it going to his left in deep center field ... spun around and got Hunt, who was tagging up, out at the plate. Hunt did not even have time to slide and was tagged out a few feet up towards third base. Quite the "closeline throw", :eek::clap::clap:

Rps
Aug 13th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Yup there have been some great throws in baseball history, and Mays has had a few of them.

Your Giants won last night against Pittsburgh, a team ahead of them. They are 7 out of a WC, they have 6 games left with the Rockies and 3 I think with the Dodgers. If they do a run they could squeeze in.

Just checked and they are only 6 games out. However I think they are done with Arizona, not sure but a nice run would certainly help them.

Dr.G.
Aug 13th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Yup there have been some great throws in baseball history, and Mays has had a few of them.

Your Giants won last night against Pittsburgh, a team ahead of them. They are 7 out of a WC, they have 6 games left with the Rockies and 3 I think with the Dodgers. If they do a run they could squeeze in.

Just checked and they are only 6 games out. However I think they are done with Arizona, not sure but a nice run would certainly help them.

Well, the Giants need everyone to play up to their potential and to stay healthy. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Aug 13th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!! NY Mets sticking it to the NY Yankees tonight ................... and IN Yankee Stadium.

Dr.G.
Aug 14th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Giants beat the Dodgers and the Mets beat the Yankees. A fine day today. :)

Rps
Aug 14th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Giants beat the Dodgers and the Mets beat the Yankees. A fine day today. :)

Yes, I watched some of the Mets game, was interesting. They had the ESPN crew doing the broadcast on MLB...Oberman was actually quite good, and they used the 3 person crew quite well. I really like the Met regulars...they call a game the way fans talk to each other.

Dr.G.
Aug 14th, 2018, 10:54 AM
Yes, I watched some of the Mets game, was interesting. They had the ESPN crew doing the broadcast on MLB...Oberman was actually quite good, and they used the 3 person crew quite well. I really like the Met regulars...they call a game the way fans talk to each other.

Yes, the Mets have always had those sorts of announcers, going back to the days of Lindsey Nelson and Ralph Kiner. Loved when Casey would be interviewed in "Kiner's Korner" after another Mets loss in 1962 and he would try to explain why they lost. :confused::(

Rps
Aug 14th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Will be watching the Mets and the Browns 😅😅😅 tonight. The Mets need to beat these teams, if not, might be time to change the GMs .

Dr.G.
Aug 14th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Will be watching the Mets and the Browns 😅😅😅 tonight. The Mets need to beat these teams, if not, might be time to change the GMs .

We shall see, mon ami.

Rps
Aug 15th, 2018, 11:22 AM
Okay, so letís play General Manager..... Curtis Granderson just cleared waivers, currently he has appeared in 94 games , batting .234 has 10 home runs and 31 runs batted in and an OPS of .747.

More importantly he is a stabilizing force in the Club House, so, which team can use him for the playoffs. My choice would be Washington, use him as a pinch hitter, maybe backup in right field. There is something fundamentally wrong in that club house which is impacting their play. My own belief is it is Harper, but that said....what team are you and would you sign Granderson.

Dr.G.
Aug 15th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Okay, so letís play General Manager..... Curtis Granderson just cleared waivers, currently he has appeared in 94 games , batting .234 has 10 home runs and 31 runs batted in and an OPS of .747.

More importantly he is a stabilizing force in the Club House, so, which team can use him for the playoffs. My choice would be Washington, use him as a pinch hitter, maybe backup in right field. There is something fundamentally wrong in that club house which is impacting their play. My own belief is it is Harper, but that said....what team are you and would you sign Granderson.

Yes, I agree. Washington would be a good fit for CG. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Aug 15th, 2018, 10:50 PM
Mets are swamping Baltimore while the Yankees are losing to Tampa Bay in Yankee Stadium. :) Now, if the Giants and Jays win tonight I shall truly be happy. We shall see.

Rps
Aug 16th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Well you almost got your wish.

Dr.G.
Aug 16th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Well you almost got your wish.

Well, you can't win them all. :(

Dr.G.
Aug 16th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Yankees lose to Tampa Bay 3-1 ..................... Mets destroying the Phillies 24-4 in the 9th inning.

Rps
Aug 16th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Yankees lose to Tampa Bay 3-1 ..................... Mets destroying the Phillies 24-4 in the 9th inning.

Itís weird but I canít get that game on MLB, will have to watch it later. Their double header will be a killer.....

Dr.G.
Aug 16th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Itís weird but I canít get that game on MLB, will have to watch it later. Their double header will be a killer.....

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/boxscore/[email protected]/ :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dr.G.
Aug 17th, 2018, 08:24 PM
The Mets' bats have certainly cooled off in the past couple of games since blasting out 24 runs in one game. :(

Dr.G.
Aug 17th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Jays beating up on the Yanks 4-0 ............. and in the first inning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr.G.
Aug 18th, 2018, 10:48 AM
Well, the Mets, Jays and Giants all lost yesterday. :( Still, today may be different. We shall see.

Rps
Aug 18th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Donít think so. The Yanks might be interested in CG, but Oakland is certainly on their tail. Giants are playing like itís over. They have 12 games left with the front runners to make up 6 .... tough. Jays are done and they are playing like it. Iím thinking they have to move their management team. Look at Atlanta, they brought up everything but the kitchen sink last year and made some astute moves such as Markakis. Even Baltimore traded the house on newbies.....what have the Jays done.

Moves arenít always about the team....you really need to work the fan base. Miami is in a rough spot, only drawing Expo sized numbers lately ( around 9000 per game ) but are fully rebuilding the team.....if they can survive they might be a force 2 years from now. The Giants just had the wheels fall off....it happens. The Mets are injury prone and have a huge held over payroll., but the Jays havenít done much.

Iím still curious about Washington.....donít get that team....I think there are some drastic changes which need to be made, so look out!

Dr.G.
Aug 18th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Donít think so. The Yanks might be interested in CG, but Oakland is certainly on their tail. Giants are playing like itís over. They have 12 games left with the front runners to make up 6 .... tough. Jays are done and they are playing like it. Iím thinking they have to move their management team. Look at Atlanta, they brought up everything but the kitchen sink last year and made some astute moves such as Markakis. Even Baltimore traded the house on newbies.....what have the Jays done.

Moves arenít always about the team....you really need to work the fan base. Miami is in a rough spot, only drawing Expo sized numbers lately ( around 9000 per game ) but are fully rebuilding the team.....if they can survive they might be a force 2 years from now. The Giants just had the wheels fall off....it happens. The Mets are injury prone and have a huge held over payroll., but the Jays havenít done much.

Iím still curious about Washington.....donít get that team....I think there are some drastic changes which need to be made, so look out!

All valid points, Rp. Maybe Miami will move to Montreal???? That would be nice.

Dr.G.
Aug 18th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Giants can't even get a single hit to support MadBum through five innings. :(

Rps
Aug 19th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Giants can't even get a single hit to support MadBum through five innings. :(

Sad but true , the Reds should have been a lock for the Giants. You think the baseball
G_ds will look kindly on their injury record or is their Manager done.

It is all but certain Gibby is done. And as I say, not a fan but he has done a great job in Toronto this year when you consider the roster. The Jay issue is their President and GM. AA prime the pump, if you will, with the farm hands.....

Dr.G.
Aug 19th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Sad but true , the Reds should have been a lock for the Giants. You think the baseball
G_ds will look kindly on their injury record or is their Manager done.

It is all but certain Gibby is done. And as I say, not a fan but he has done a great job in Toronto this year when you consider the roster. The Jay issue is their President and GM. AA prime the pump, if you will, with the farm hands.....

The Giants will stay with their manager, but I can't say the same for the TO manager, at least not at this moment. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Aug 19th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Both the Giants and the Jays took it on the chin this afternoon. :(

Dr.G.
Aug 20th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Sadly, the Giants are fading .................. but I can only imagine what the fans in Baltimore are feeling with their team out of 1st place by 50 games.

Rps
Aug 20th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Well at least the Oís have a better winning history than the Browns ever did. Take the Rays they are sitting +2 and are 24 out. Strange balance this year. Oakland and the Brewers are interesting....wonder if they are holding or going to trade at the dead line. Yanks could use some help, which is funny when you consider their record.

Dr.G.
Aug 20th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Well at least the Oís have a better winning history than the Browns ever did. Take the Rays they are sitting +2 and are 24 out. Strange balance this year. Oakland and the Brewers are interesting....wonder if they are holding or going to trade at the dead line. Yanks could use some help, which is funny when you consider their record.

I lived through the NY Mets 1962 season .............. even went to about 13 games at the Polo Grounds .............. never did see the Mets win a game there. Still, 7 years later the Miracle Mets won the World Series over the favored Baltimore Orioles. :clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Aug 21st, 2018, 10:56 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2791455-i-find-it-very-difficult-to-watch-why-mlb-greats-think-baseballs-in-trouble?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Interesting .............. and sad. :(

"There were more strikeouts than hits in a month for the first time in MLB history in April and, through early August, MLB had accumulated more strikeouts than hits overall. The race is on for whether it will happen in a full season for the first time."

Rps
Aug 21st, 2018, 11:13 AM
Well there is some truth to this. But, remember when they decreased the height of the mound .... it didnít take clubs too long to adjust. But the clubs are no different than football teams.....stats rule. As for take outs, when you pay a guy 24 million a year you donít want him hurt. So where does this leave us..... most baseball fans will lament at the poor training of the players and that the fundamentals seem like a thing of the past. No hit and run, no bunts, no excitement. Very few pitchers toss high inside, you would think with the ďlaunch angleĒ some coach would find a way around it....oh yeah! high and inside. Also. Letís get rid of the review process....not every call is the bottom of the 9th in game 7. I donít mind the 45 second rule but you want to make the game go faster....you step out of the batters box for other than avoiding being hit....call it a strike! Batters waste soooooo much time between swings. The key to filling stands is quite simple IMO .... run, steal, bunt, base hit.

Dr.G.
Aug 21st, 2018, 11:33 AM
"I donít mind the 45 second rule but you want to make the game go faster....you step out of the batters box for other than avoiding being hit....call it a strike! Batters waste soooooo much time between swings. The key to filling stands is quite simple IMO .... run, steal, bunt, base hit." Good idea .......... I agree.

Dr.G.
Aug 22nd, 2018, 05:41 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2792108-rainbow-appears-during-tigers-moment-of-silence-for-aretha-franklin?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Wow!!!

Dr.G.
Aug 22nd, 2018, 06:15 PM
Jays beat Baltimore today 6-0. The Orioles are now 37-90. With 35 games to go they are within striking distance of the NY Mets record of 42-120 set in 1962, but I doubt that they will go 4-31 the rest of the season. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Aug 23rd, 2018, 05:07 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-market-breaking-down-key-potential-targets-that-have-cleared-trade-waivers/

Some interesting names on this list.

Rps
Aug 23rd, 2018, 05:30 PM
I think that the Mets left it too late to get some one, I heard that Andrew McCutchen was being moved for Syndergaard, but didnít pull the trigger, nor the Giants. Granderson is a lock to go somewhere and I still think it is the Yanks. Cleveland has been quiet....might be a nice home for Flores. The Tigers have 3 so they could go to rebuild mode in a week. Maur might go if it is Boston, same with Andrew Jones but both are homers with no trade contracts. A name not on the list is Bautista now with the Mets, Yanks could use him as well. Iím not sure that the Yanks will move heaven and earth this year with the WC standings as they are. The Phillies need some pop, the Brewers are in the hunt and so are the Aís ( which would be a nice home for McCutchen and Jones ).

Dr.G.
Aug 23rd, 2018, 05:37 PM
I think that the Mets left it too late to get some one, I heard that Andrew McCutchen was being moved for Syndergaard, but didnít pull the trigger, nor the Giants. Granderson is a lock to go somewhere and I still think it is the Yanks. Cleveland has been quiet....might be a nice home for Flores. The Tigers have 3 so they could go to rebuild mode in a week. Maur might go if it is Boston, same with Andrew Jones but both are homers with no trade contracts. A name not on the list is Bautista now with the Mets, Yanks could use him as well. Iím not sure that the Yanks will move heaven and earth this year with the WC standings as they are. The Phillies need some pop, the Brewers are in the hunt and so are the Aís ( which would be a nice home for McCutchen and Jones ).

Well, this is going to be an interesting run for the final playoff spots for certain teams. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Aug 25th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Happ is doing well as a Yankee these days.

Rps
Aug 25th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Happ is doing well as a Yankee these days.

Yes he is a nice fit. Maybe the Yanks would be interested in Bautista instead of Granderson, should be fun watching next week as some of the clubs who are close really arenít. You got to think Washington is out of it. I think the Spiders record is secure, I donít think Baltimore will ďbeatĒ the Mets record.

Dr.G.
Aug 25th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Yes he is a nice fit. Maybe the Yanks would be interested in Bautista instead of Granderson, should be fun watching next week as some of the clubs who are close really arenít. You got to think Washington is out of it. I think the Spiders record is secure, I donít think Baltimore will ďbeatĒ the Mets record.

No, the Mets' record will most likely remain in the hearts and minds of many New Yorkers of that era.

Dr.G.
Aug 25th, 2018, 09:38 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/giants-buster-posey-will-undergo-season-ending-hip-surgery-which-creates-some-questions-about-his-future-as-a-catcher/

Not good news for both Giants and baseball fans. :(

Rps
Aug 26th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Was thinking about the rumours of MLB expansion to 32 teams. That would mean a balanced sked of 4 divisions in each league with 4 teams in each division. So would the WC go or would you use an NFL format. 2 WC in each league play a one game knockout. The winner of that plays against division champs in a 5 game series. Once those teams are set then those teams a ranked by standing and the number one team enters the fray in a 7 game series

Dr.G.
Aug 26th, 2018, 04:13 PM
Was thinking about the rumours of MLB expansion to 32 teams. That would mean a balanced sked of 4 divisions in each league with 4 teams in each division. So would the WC go or would you use an NFL format. 2 WC in each league play a one game knockout. The winner of that plays against division champs in a 5 game series. Once those teams are set then those teams a ranked by standing and the number one team enters the fray in a 7 game series

This would mean the World Series would be played in November. :eek::(XX)

Dr.G.
Aug 26th, 2018, 04:26 PM
What is up with all of these brightly colored uniforms this weekend???

Dr.G.
Aug 26th, 2018, 04:30 PM
Quite the Wild Card race in the NL. Four teams, as of this morning, with only 1/2 game apart.

Dr.G.
Aug 26th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Mets are getting torn apart by Washington today. They have no hitting to speak of with two hits and their pitching has already given up 15 runs. :(

Rps
Aug 26th, 2018, 05:48 PM
What is up with all of these brightly colored uniforms this weekend???

Itís players weekend. Players can use Knick names, coloured bats, and teams can put some fun in the units.. I donít mind this. Bryce Harper has a foundation for kids with cancer and he uses bats that the kids have decorated. While I have concerns about Harper as a team mate, his bats are a great idea. mLB., Aís the NFL should be proud of the social work their player do.

Rps
Aug 26th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Iím wondering if any of the readers of this thread would be interested in some of the history of MLB. I know that you and I , Mark, talk quite a bit about baseball, just wondering if any other ehMacers are interested. Iíve been doing some research on the Browns lately and would be willing to post some of my stuff on the MLB is there are those interested in its history. My Braves would be a good example as would the Orioles.

Rps
Aug 26th, 2018, 05:53 PM
Iím wondering if any of the readers of this thread would be interested in some of the history of MLB. I know that you and I , Mark, talk quite a bit about baseball, just wondering if any other ehMacers are interested. Iíve been doing some research on the Browns lately and would be willing to post some of my stuff on the MLB if there are those interested in its history. My Braves would be a good example as would the Orioles,

Dr.G.
Aug 26th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Itís players weekend. Players can use Knick names, coloured bats, and teams can put some fun in the units.. I donít mind this. Bryce Harper has a foundation for kids with cancer and he uses bats that the kids have decorated. While I have concerns about Harper as a team mate, his bats are a great idea. mLB., Aís the NFL should be proud of the social work their player do.

Thanks for this explanation, Rp. I wondered about the uniform colors and new names on their backs.