: The Baseball Thread!

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Rps
Mar 21st, 2019, 12:23 PM
Well, we have Hu in MLB. Watt in NFL, Ware in NHL....all we need is Why and When.

Rps
Mar 21st, 2019, 12:31 PM
Not sure which has the most class...the team or the player... as Ichiro retires.

I have achieved so many of my dreams in baseball,Ē Ichiro said in a statement, ďboth in my career in Japan and, since 2001, in Major League Baseball. I am honored to end my big league career where it started, with Seattle, and think it is fitting that my last games as a professional were played in my home country of Japan."
The 45-year-old Ichiro retires as baseball's active hits leader with 3,089.

Dr.G.
Mar 21st, 2019, 06:38 PM
Well, we have Hu in MLB. Watt in NFL, Ware in NHL....all we need is Why and When.

:lmao::clap::lmao:

Dr.G.
Mar 21st, 2019, 06:38 PM
Not sure which has the most class...the team or the player... as Ichiro retires.

I have achieved so many of my dreams in baseball,Ē Ichiro said in a statement, ďboth in my career in Japan and, since 2001, in Major League Baseball. I am honored to end my big league career where it started, with Seattle, and think it is fitting that my last games as a professional were played in my home country of Japan."
The 45-year-old Ichiro retires as baseball's active hits leader with 3,089.

:clap::clap::clap:

He shall be missed. A great player.

Dr.G.
Mar 22nd, 2019, 09:12 AM
Talk about four great NYC baseball team outfielders!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily, I saw everyone other than Joe D. play.

Rps
Mar 23rd, 2019, 02:37 PM
Talk about four great NYC baseball team outfielders!!!!!!!!!!!!! Luckily, I saw everyone other than Joe D. play.

Is that a personal photograph Marc?

Dr.G.
Mar 23rd, 2019, 04:22 PM
Is that a personal photograph Marc?

Sadly, no, Rp. But I do have an autographed pic of Willie Mays and Leo D. that my wife got for me in Cooperstown, NY. :love2:

Rps
Mar 24th, 2019, 09:22 AM
This might bring a smile to Giant fans......little whispers sez the Giants want Kevin Pillar......hmmmmmm

Dr.G.
Mar 24th, 2019, 10:53 AM
This might bring a smile to Giant fans......little whispers sez the Giants want Kevin Pillar......hmmmmmm

I like Pillar. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Mar 24th, 2019, 11:26 AM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/giants-make-roster-moves-as-opening-day-nears

Dr.G.
Mar 26th, 2019, 04:42 PM
Well, with the start of the 2019 season upon us, we need to make predictions.

Of course, I am hoping for the Giants, the Mets or the Jays to win the World Series. If I had to bet, I would bet on either the Yankees or Houston representing the AL, and Washington representing the NL ................... with the AL team winning it all. We shall see.

Rps
Mar 26th, 2019, 04:52 PM
So, itís a bit early for the NL in my book, but as for the AL.....Iím leaning to Cleveland again. Yanks have power but I think their pitching will be suspect, Jays medium power and less inclined to run, average pitching, Boston has both power and pitching but Iím wondering on the hunger over 162 games....and they and the Yanks will burn each other out.

Awaiting the NL, I still like Atlanta, but SD have such a great farm. Phillies have acquired some talent...but I still think Harper detracts. That said I had picked them last year. The Cards. need pitching but got the best player in the pool. So should be interesting. Giants and Dodgers wonít be in it Iím afraid.

Dr.G.
Mar 26th, 2019, 05:20 PM
So, itís a bit early for the NL in my book, but as for the AL.....Iím leaning to Cleveland again. Yanks have power but I think their pitching will be suspect, Jays medium power and less inclined to run, average pitching, Boston has both power and pitching but Iím wondering on the hunger over 162 games....and they and the Yanks will burn each other out.

Awaiting the NL, I still like Atlanta, but SD have such a great farm. Phillies have acquired some talent...but I still think Harper detracts. That said I had picked them last year. The Cards. need pitching but got the best player in the pool. So should be interesting. Giants and Dodgers wonít be in it Iím afraid.

We shall see. Bonne chance, mon ami.

SINC
Mar 26th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Giants and Dodgers wonít be in it Iím afraid.

We shall see. Bonne chance, mon ami.

Soon as I saw Rp's comment, I thought, them's fighting words with Marc! :D

Play nice now boys! :heybaby:

Dr.G.
Mar 26th, 2019, 05:33 PM
Soon as I saw Rp's comment, I thought, them's fighting words with Marc! :D

Play nice now boys! :heybaby:

Well, the Dodgers not making it = :clap::clap::clap::clap:
The Giants not making it = :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

Dr.G.
Mar 26th, 2019, 05:50 PM
On the 50th anniversary of the Exposí first season, those involved are now talking more seriously about the prospect of MLBís permanent return to Montreal, upping lobbying efforts and negotiating for land for a new stadium.

Dr.G.
Apr 2nd, 2019, 01:02 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/jays-trade-kevin-pillar-to-giants-1.5081250?fbclid=IwAR0hDUTmnMYnQO3RWTPPNrqsMqdNt9w bSweHqYxkMcMeSq9SC5ZzzBIbmA8

Good to hear. I liked Kevin Pillar on the Jays, and shall like him even more now that he is a SF Giant.

Rps
Apr 2nd, 2019, 01:07 PM
Hate to gloat but..........the Giants just picked up a player who will help them immediately. Shapiro is draining the swamp...not expecting much from the Jays for about 3 years.....

Dr.G.
Apr 2nd, 2019, 03:55 PM
Hate to gloat but..........the Giants just picked up a player who will help them immediately. Shapiro is draining the swamp...not expecting much from the Jays for about 3 years.....

Yes, Pilar will be a fine addition to the outfield, especially his clutch fielding. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Apr 2nd, 2019, 07:11 PM
April 2, 2017: Madison Bumgarner becomes the first pitcher to hit two home runs on Opening Day.

Dr.G.
May 2nd, 2019, 07:53 PM
May 2, 1939 (80 years ago today) - Lou Gehrig consoles Babe Dahlgren for replacing Gehrig in the line-up ending his consecutive-game streak at 2,130.

Dr.G.
May 4th, 2019, 02:26 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/giants-beat-reds-in-historic-comeback?fbclid=IwAR1Gr8N15h4Dc-6iKWjGwmgrpdYuG-KY0Z9spjpUexYhnmNTMr4kei9klbg

"It matched the largest comeback win in Giants history and marked the fifth time the club has accomplished the feat. San Francisco also came back from an eight-run deficit on Sept. 8, 1947 at Pittsburgh; April 14, 1970 at Atlanta; Sept. 23, 1970 at Los Angeles; and Sept. 4, 1989 at Cincinnati."

Dr.G.
May 13th, 2019, 07:55 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-giants-madison-bumgarner-can-reportedly-block-deals-to-these-eight-contenders/

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! Not "Mad Bum"

Rps
May 13th, 2019, 08:51 AM
I would trade him. The Giants arenít that deep farm-wise. I donít look at games as much as series. If the normal series is 3 games the Giants are 4 series out.....which is a lot. There will be many moves by the end of July....rebuild, rebuild, rebuild.

Dr.G.
May 13th, 2019, 09:53 AM
I would trade him. The Giants arenít that deep farm-wise. I donít look at games as much as series. If the normal series is 3 games the Giants are 4 series out.....which is a lot. There will be many moves by the end of July....rebuild, rebuild, rebuild.

Maybe, but I still don't want to see him traded.

Dr.G.
May 15th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Interesting. Watching the SF Giants vs the TO Blue Jays right now on TSN.

Today, Shaun Anderson became the first Giants pitcher since 1900 (per Elias) to record 2 hits in his MLB debut.

Dr.G.
Jun 5th, 2019, 04:13 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/bruce-bochy-records-1000th-win-with-giants?fbclid=IwAR0FDljdf_SEihiN3SvU2TIWfTNQaetnrH SduOl5SyXrLcoHpXB1hBdSaRI

Good for him.

Rps
Jun 5th, 2019, 07:05 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/bruce-bochy-records-1000th-win-with-giants?fbclid=IwAR0FDljdf_SEihiN3SvU2TIWfTNQaetnrH SduOl5SyXrLcoHpXB1hBdSaRI

Good for him.

You think Hall of Fame for him?....

Dr.G.
Jun 5th, 2019, 08:53 PM
You think Hall of Fame for him?....

Maybe. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jul 15th, 2019, 04:12 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/san-francisco-giants-colorado-rockies-390715227/

Wow!!! The SF Giants getting good pitching AND great hitting in the same game. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rps
Jul 15th, 2019, 04:56 PM
And in Colorado......

You think the Stro-man is heading to the Yanks?

Dr.G.
Jul 15th, 2019, 08:09 PM
And in Colorado......

You think the Stro-man is heading to the Yanks?

I hope not.

Rps
Jul 15th, 2019, 10:22 PM
Well the recent trade history of the Jays under the Shapiro era hasnít been ...... how shall I put it......stellar. Stro will be gone and the Jays will get jack for him. Look what they got for Happ, Pearce, Encarnacion, Urshela...and the list goes on.

Dr.G.
Jul 16th, 2019, 06:46 AM
Well the recent trade history of the Jays under the Shapiro era hasnít been ...... how shall I put it......stellar. Stro will be gone and the Jays will get jack for him. Look what they got for Happ, Pearce, Encarnacion, Urshela...and the list goes on.

Sad, but all too true, Rp. :(

Rps
Jul 16th, 2019, 09:56 AM
So itís about time for predictions.....

Marc, what two teams from each league do you think will be in the finals....

Dr.G.
Jul 16th, 2019, 01:37 PM
So itís about time for predictions.....

Marc, what two teams from each league do you think will be in the finals....

The Yanks will fight it out with Houston in the AL, with the Yanks winning (if their players can stay healthy by the end of the season). In the NL, The Dodgers will beat out Atlanta to go to the World Series, setting up a classic Yankees/Dodgers World Series rematch. We shall see.

Rps
Jul 16th, 2019, 03:36 PM
I think in series, so the Dodgers have 3 series up in their division...but the wild card is open. I havenít ruled out Philly, which depends on who in their pitching staff they shore up. Washington needs a spark plug. That said, the Brewers are still in it and I fear them. While the NL Central is still fully open ( last place only 5.5 out )....the Cubs seem like a lock. So in the NL I see Cubs vs Brewers with the Brewers taking the NL.

The AL appears all Yanks, but the Rays could make life interesting for the Yanks....who need pitching. The Twins surprised me and I wouldnít rule them out. So it comes down to surprises for me...I wouldnít be surprised if it is a Twins and Aís final. The Aís are another fear team. Flipping a coin here...but I think the AL goes to the Twins.

The WS would be Brewers-Twins. My Braves need pitching, I donít think they can afford it. Cleveland may be out as well .

Dr.G.
Jul 16th, 2019, 04:35 PM
I think in series, so the Dodgers have 3 series up in their division...but the wild card is open. I havenít ruled out Philly, which depends on who in their pitching staff they shore up. Washington needs a spark plug. That said, the Brewers are still in it and I fear them. While the NL Central is still fully open ( last place only 5.5 out )....the Cubs seem like a lock. So in the NL I see Cubs vs Brewers with the Brewers taking the NL.

The AL appears all Yanks, but the Rays could make life interesting for the Yanks....who need pitching. The Twins surprised me and I wouldnít rule them out. So it comes down to surprises for me...I wouldnít be surprised if it is a Twins and Aís final. The Aís are another fear team. Flipping a coin here...but I think the AL goes to the Twins.

The WS would be Brewers-Twins. My Braves need pitching, I donít think they can afford it. Cleveland may be out as well .

We shall see. My SF Giants need hitting and pitching like they had yesterday .... and have it for the remainder of the season.

Dr.G.
Jul 16th, 2019, 07:41 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/trade-deadline-one-deal-every-team-should-make-including-madison-bumgarner-and-marcus-stroman-to-al-contenders/

Could Mad Bum be headed to the NY Yankees???????????????

Rps
Jul 17th, 2019, 10:35 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/trade-deadline-one-deal-every-team-should-make-including-madison-bumgarner-and-marcus-stroman-to-al-contenders/

Could Mad Bum be headed to the NY Yankees???????????????

Why not, they certainly need his bat! But I would be leaning more to the Mets two pitchers heading to the Yanks..... The Braves need pitching...and hey have an ex Jay GM....so..........

Dr.G.
Jul 17th, 2019, 01:57 PM
Why not, they certainly need his bat! But I would be leaning more to the Mets two pitchers heading to the Yanks..... The Braves need pitching...and hey have an ex Jay GM....so..........

I want Mad Bum to stay with the Giants. I did not like the way they treated Tim Lincecum . He helped the Giants win three World Series championships in a five-year span. We shall see.

https://www.mlb.com/news/tim-lincecum-released-by-texas-rangers-c280034796

Rps
Jul 17th, 2019, 02:07 PM
I think the Giants will be sellers in a buyers market. They will have a new manager next year so it should be getting young talent to develop.
The Padres have one of the best farm systems in the league....in fact, I thought this would be their year, but the Giants need to develop theirs to the Padres and Braves level if they are to move along. The Dodgers have a great system which keys on pitching...so they could sit......if I was them Iíd grab Smoak....he and Muncy would be deadly going into the playoffs.

Dr.G.
Jul 17th, 2019, 03:58 PM
I think the Giants will be sellers in a buyers market. They will have a new manager next year so it should be getting young talent to develop.
The Padres have one of the best farm systems in the league....in fact, I thought this would be their year, but the Giants need to develop theirs to the Padres and Braves level if they are to move along. The Dodgers have a great system which keys on pitching...so they could sit......if I was them Iíd grab Smoak....he and Muncy would be deadly going into the playoffs.

We shall see. I don't think that the Giants or the Jays should hold fire-sale trades and give away talent for little in return.

Rps
Jul 17th, 2019, 04:54 PM
Sadly, Marc, that has not been the case with the Jays lately.

Dr.G.
Jul 17th, 2019, 08:56 PM
Sadly, Marc, that has not been the case with the Jays lately.

Sad, but all too true.

Dr.G.
Jul 19th, 2019, 07:01 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-padres-a-serious-suitor-for-trevor-bauer-twins-have-checked-in-on-matt-boyd-shane-greene/

Some interesting names being considered. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jul 19th, 2019, 09:49 PM
Amazing. In Stroman's first ten games pitching for the Jays this season, they scored ten runs for him. Tonight, the Jays have given him 12 runs. As well, he is shutting out the Tigers so far into the 7th inning.

Rps
Jul 20th, 2019, 10:31 AM
Amazing. In Stroman's first ten games pitching for the Jays this season, they scored ten runs for him. Tonight, the Jays have given him 12 runs. As well, he is shutting out the Tigers so far into the 7th inning.

Donít think deGromm will be shedding any tears. But I see the Stro-man in pin stripes.

Dr.G.
Jul 20th, 2019, 11:24 AM
Donít think deGromm will be shedding any tears. But I see the Stro-man in pin stripes.

We shall see. Giants are now at .500 for the season. :clap::clap::clap::clap::love2:

Rps
Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:37 PM
Going over the numbers, I think the AL East is over. The Yanks have a 9 game lead on the Rays.....but the Rays have only 2 games left with the Yanks, so at the current win ratio TB is done. That said, the Red Sox have 12 games left with the Yanks and are 10 games back. So at current win ratio and if the Sox can sweep the Yanks...Sox win. But if that happens Iím not sure which team I would request the urine tests from....

Dr.G.
Jul 23rd, 2019, 01:40 PM
Going over the numbers, I think the AL East is over. The Yanks have a 9 game lead on the Rays.....but the Rays have only 2 games left with the Yanks, so at the current win ratio TB is done. That said, the Red Sox have 12 games left with the Yanks and are 10 games back. So at current win ratio and if the Sox can sweep the Yanks...Sox win. But if that happens Iím not sure which team I would request the urine tests from....

A valid speculation, Rp. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jul 27th, 2019, 07:10 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-deadline-rumors-mets-could-swap-out-syndergaard-for-stroman-in-separate-trades-dodgers-eye-vazquez/

Interesting possibility. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jul 27th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Wow, just saw the Blue Jays beat Tampa with 6 home runs after being down 9-2 in the 6th inning.

pm-r
Jul 28th, 2019, 01:59 PM
I'm guessing this would be classified as a good catch... with maybe some luck thrown in as well...

https://hayhogi.vn/386f437d10deec72/baseball-flying-audience-towards-holds-baseball-with-hand

Hmmm... sorry, the URL doesn't allow mw to access the site when posted here for some reason. Maybe it might work for some, but doubtful. Sorry.

- Patrick
======

Rps
Jul 28th, 2019, 02:14 PM
Patrick, Iíll say!

pm-r
Jul 28th, 2019, 05:24 PM
@RPS
Patrick, Iíll say!

Were you actually able to get to the site to see the video RP???

For some reason I don't seem to be allowed to and all I get is this:
You have no permission to access this site!

Anyway, I hope the link works for some.

- Patrick
======

SINC
Jul 28th, 2019, 06:27 PM
@RPS

Were you actually able to get to the site to see the video RP???

For some reason I don't seem to be allowed to and all I get is this:

Anyway, I hope the link works for some.

- Patrick
======

I got there and watched the vid, no issues.

Dr.G.
Jul 28th, 2019, 06:28 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/mlb-blue-jays-mets-trade-marcus-stroman-1.5228398?fbclid=IwAR2LPt26CX1i4wvdg5NoHK9ex2wxKxb P9I7oDn9ngc0FglHx320mG190mU4

Well, that was expected, but not this particular trade.

pm-r
Jul 28th, 2019, 07:00 PM
I got there and watched the vid, no issues.

Thanks, and the URL works when I use my Firefox, but not so with one normally used Google Chrome.

That's the second serious goof up I've had with Google Chrome lately.

I wonder what's causing the problem on this one???

EDIT:
Strange... If I double click the URLIn the post above I get:

If I copy the URL and paste it into Chrome, It takes me right to the page without any problem.

A little bit bazaar...

- Patrick
======

Rps
Jul 29th, 2019, 09:39 AM
Well that is interesting. Wonder if he will stay or will be traded in a package further this week. Syndergaard is open....Matz is open as well. The Mets have almost as dysfunctional a management team as the Jays.

I think they will get squat for Stro from the Mets. Shapiro and Co. have got to go...and you watch they will get zip in return....so if you are keeping track...Stro, Donaldson, Toot ( they may get a pass here as he has now retired ) the EN man...need I say more.

Dr.G.
Jul 29th, 2019, 10:49 AM
Well that is interesting. Wonder if he will stay or will be traded in a package further this week. Syndergaard is open....Matz is open as well. The Mets have almost as dysfunctional a management team as the Jays.

I think they will get squat for Stro from the Mets. Shapiro and Co. have got to go...and you watch they will get zip in return....so if you are keeping track...Stro, Donaldson, Toot ( they may get a pass here as he has now retired ) the EN man...need I say more.

Sadly, I agree. They are getting rid of quality players for little in return. :eek::(

Dr.G.
Jul 31st, 2019, 09:01 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-trade-deadline-2019-madison-bumgarner-noah-syndergaard-felipe-vazquez-among-big-names-not-dealt/

Interesting who is not going anywhere.

Rps
Aug 1st, 2019, 09:42 AM
I think a lot of this has to do with the Dodgers. In the NL, who would take a chance to go to the WC only to get wiped by the Dodgers. One thing is clear, the Mets and Jays have got to dump their management team.

Iím sorry but if you look at those two teams ( and they are classic examples of teams who people thought should be there ) they have made bone head moves which do not improve their team, only deplete it. I would expect the owners to get antsy.

Iím old school....you canít beat a strong farm system.....Atlanta, Yanks, San Diego....and watch Pittsburgh next year.... the Mets have a dreadful farm system and the Jays have a weak one and seldom use what they have until it doesnít matter.

Dr.G.
Aug 1st, 2019, 12:20 PM
"Iím old school....you canít beat a strong farm system....."

Me too. :clap::clap:

Rps
Aug 1st, 2019, 01:00 PM
What amazes me is that everyone talks about needing pitchers.....if I owned a team I would copy the Dodgers approach. Letís face it they have had about a dozen Cy Young winners and about 30 No Hitters......

Dr.G.
Aug 1st, 2019, 02:50 PM
What amazes me is that everyone talks about needing pitchers.....if I owned a team I would copy the Dodgers approach. Letís face it they have had about a dozen Cy Young winners and about 30 No Hitters......

That was the Dodgers approach once they moved to LA in 1958. They won it all in 1959, and had Kofax and Drysdale in the early 1960s to help them contend. The SF Giants relied on power, with Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, et al hitting home runs.

Dr.G.
Aug 2nd, 2019, 05:31 PM
Now the SF Giants need to focus upon getting that NL Wild Card spot.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27281076/how-giants-earned-keeping-madison-bumgarner?fbclid=IwAR32N2OhnPaOyp1LOO_CainITXccvn2 zSzVm5biwXYBHh7d0vp4dtGUO_Qc

Dr.G.
Aug 8th, 2019, 08:31 PM
The NY Yankees have hit 19 home runs in their last four games ................ and tonight's game against the Jays is only half over.

Rps
Aug 9th, 2019, 10:39 AM
I think the Yanks have it. Boston losing that series to the Yanks May have killed their season. They are 5 games out of a WC spot and I donít see them making that up....in reality they have 3 teams ahead of them. Houston has it locked but the Twins and Cleveland will make it interesting....much to Bostonís dismay I think. Dodgers have a lock, Braves canít seem to shake Washington so that will be interesting. Chicago has two on their tale. All this hurts the Giants run for a WC as there are 4 teams in front of them despite only being 3.5 out. The Mets seem interesting as does Cincinnati ,

Dr.G.
Aug 9th, 2019, 12:13 PM
I think the Yanks have it. Boston losing that series to the Yanks May have killed their season. They are 5 games out of a WC spot and I donít see them making that up....in reality they have 3 teams ahead of them. Houston has it locked but the Twins and Cleveland will make it interesting....much to Bostonís dismay I think. Dodgers have a lock, Braves canít seem to shake Washington so that will be interesting. Chicago has two on their tale. All this hurts the Giants run for a WC as there are 4 teams in front of them despite only being 3.5 out. The Mets seem interesting as does Cincinnati ,

Well, we shall see. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G.
Aug 12th, 2019, 03:47 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ranking-the-top-10-mlb-rotations-of-all-time-zack-greinke-gives-astros-one-of-the-best-in-baseball-history/

Baltimore in 1971 or the Indians in 1954 would be my top two selections.

Rps
Aug 12th, 2019, 04:36 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/ranking-the-top-10-mlb-rotations-of-all-time-zack-greinke-gives-astros-one-of-the-best-in-baseball-history/

Baltimore in 1971 or the Indians in 1954 would be my top two selections.
Iím kind of partial to Oakland and the Mets...

I surprised the Expos never got a mention.

Dr.G.
Aug 12th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Iím kind of partial to Oakland and the Mets...

I surprised the Expos never got a mention.

The Mets and the Giants were my sentimental favorites. At least the 1954 NY Giants made a mess of the Cleveland Indians' pitching staff in the World Series.

Dr.G.
Aug 25th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Watched some games on TV yesterday and this afternoon. What is with the black and white uniforms with nicknames instead of real names on their backs?

Rps
Aug 26th, 2019, 09:21 AM
Hi Marc, it was ďplayers weekendĒ. Players could wear different shoes and used personal styled bats and gloves. This was too bring out their personalities. They did this last year but the teams had their normal H/A uniforms. Also with their nick names. Some genius ( who knows it could be Mr. T as it was so dumb ) thought they all should wear black and white. Dreadful uniforms.

Dr.G.
Aug 26th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Hi Marc, it was ďplayers weekendĒ. Players could wear different shoes and used personal styled bats and gloves. This was too bring out their personalities. They did this last year but the teams had their normal H/A uniforms. Also with their nick names. Some genius ( who knows it could be Mr. T as it was so dumb ) thought they all should wear black and white. Dreadful uniforms.

I did not mind the nicknames on the uniforms, but the black and white uniforms were, as you contend, "dreadful". :eek:XX)

Dr.G.
Sep 1st, 2019, 03:23 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/gametracker/live/[email protected]/

Verlander has a no hitter going into the 9th inning.

Rps
Sep 1st, 2019, 03:26 PM
Iím watching it now. If he gets it, it will be his second against the Jays.

Dr.G.
Sep 1st, 2019, 04:57 PM
Iím watching it now. If he gets it, it will be his second against the Jays.

He did it, and is only the third pitcher in baseball history to do it against the same team.

Dr.G.
Sep 2nd, 2019, 07:27 AM
It's not easy to become the first player in New York Yankees history to do something. Yet on Sunday, first baseman Mike Ford did just that. Ford, who won the game against the Oakland Athletics, became the first Yankees rookie to ever hit a pinch-hit walk-off home run.

Rps
Sep 3rd, 2019, 09:50 AM
Marc, thatís the joy of baseball.....the creating of records to be broken. I think it was in Major League that the Uke played that up. But you are right with the Yanks ( and Dodgers and Giants ) history itís hard to find something unique.

Dr.G.
Sep 3rd, 2019, 10:44 AM
Marc, thatís the joy of baseball.....the creating of records to be broken. I think it was in Major League that the Uke played that up. But you are right with the Yanks ( and Dodgers and Giants ) history itís hard to find something unique.

So true, Rp. Still, one of my earliest real memories was being tossed up in the air on Oct. 3rd, 1951. I still have fear of heights ................. but have been a Giants fan ever since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs

Dr.G.
Sep 11th, 2019, 09:04 PM
Wow!!!!! Jays getting both hitting AND pitching tonight.

Rps
Sep 18th, 2019, 09:32 AM
So.......it is possible this season to have 4 teams with 100 wins and 4 with 100 losses. MLB states the number of home runs is not the ball, but check out the home runs in the minor leagues.....also up.....I guess those clubs have analytics as well.........

Dr.G.
Sep 18th, 2019, 05:07 PM
So.......it is possible this season to have 4 teams with 100 wins and 4 with 100 losses. MLB states the number of home runs is not the ball, but check out the home runs in the minor leagues.....also up.....I guess those clubs have analytics as well.........

Interesting stats, Rp.

Dr.G.
Sep 22nd, 2019, 11:03 AM
On this day, back in 1969, Willie Mays became the 2nd player in MLB history to reach 600 home runs.

Dr.G.
Sep 25th, 2019, 04:31 PM
With his nine strikeouts last night, Madison Bumgarner now has 203 strikeouts this year, giving him four career 200+ strikeout seasons.

The four 200+ strikeout seasons ties him for the second-most in SF-era (1958-pres.) history with Tim Lincecum and Gaylord Perry.

Dr.G.
Sep 27th, 2019, 08:34 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-will-experiment-with-robot-umpires-during-arizona-fall-league-games/

Not sure if this will work. We shall see.

Rps
Sep 28th, 2019, 12:15 PM
Iím a moderate purist....but Iíve come to see replays as game delayers in any sport where they are used. That said, umpires are as integral to the essence of baseball as are the players. MLB is going down the wrong road here and are going to ruin the game....you might as well watch a video game.

Rps
Sep 28th, 2019, 12:23 PM
While most pundits are saying it will be the Dodgers in the NL, Washington and St. Louis would scare me if I was a Dodger. The Yanks need to look at Houston and Oakland. This might be an interesting playoff with the big guns going down early. I donít think my Braves have the pitching staff to compete in this soirťe....hoping they do but they have been losing games they should have won....really should have won the NL but didnít....that is a trend thatís hard to shake.

SINC
Sep 28th, 2019, 01:05 PM
I used to watch and enjoy the playoffs and the world series every year, but haven't done so now in many years. Perhaps it is time to reinvest some time in baseball this fall, we shall see.

I still remember the way KMON radio 560 AM (pronounced c'mon radio) back in the 1950s used to attract baseball listeners with this slogan:

"Whether you have a national interest in the American League, or a purely American interest in the National League, KMON radio is your place for baseball."

Probably still fits well about 70 years later now. ;)

KMON is still going strong: https://streema.com/radios/KMON

I used to listen to it every day on my very own tiny first transistor radio that I carried everywhere as a kid.

Dr.G.
Sep 28th, 2019, 04:36 PM
Iím a moderate purist....but Iíve come to see replays as game delayers in any sport where they are used. That said, umpires are as integral to the essence of baseball as are the players. MLB is going down the wrong road here and are going to ruin the game....you might as well watch a video game.

Agreed. :eek::(:(

Dr.G.
Sep 28th, 2019, 04:38 PM
While most pundits are saying it will be the Dodgers in the NL, Washington and St. Louis would scare me if I was a Dodger. The Yanks need to look at Houston and Oakland. This might be an interesting playoff with the big guns going down early. I donít think my Braves have the pitching staff to compete in this soirťe....hoping they do but they have been losing games they should have won....really should have won the NL but didnít....that is a trend thatís hard to shake.

We shall see. I still feel that a NY/LA World Series is possible. Will we see a replay of 1955 or 1956????????????

Dr.G.
Sep 28th, 2019, 04:44 PM
I used to watch and enjoy the playoffs and the world series every year, but haven't done so now in many years. Perhaps it is time to reinvest some time in baseball this fall, we shall see.

I still remember the way KMON radio 560 AM (pronounced c'mon radio) back in the 1950s used to attract baseball listeners with this slogan:

"Whether you have a national interest in the American League, or a purely American interest in the National League, KMON radio is your place for baseball."

I used to listen to it every day on my very own tiny first transistor radio that I carried everywhere as a kid.

I recall being in public school when the principal came on the school-wide PA and apologized to all the teachers for the interruption, but he wanted to pipe in the possible final out of this game back on Oct. 8th, 1956. I was a NY Giants fan back then (and still root for the SF Giants to this day) and wanted to see the Yankees beat the Brooklyn Dodgers. As a baseball fan, I wanted to hear that whomever was pitching and for whatever team, pitch this perfect game. He did ........... and no one else has ever matched this great accomplishment. :clap::clap::clap::clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crTFMCkG7cU

https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/october-8-1956-don-larsen-s-perfect-game

eMacMan
Sep 28th, 2019, 08:18 PM

Listened to it as well. With old tube radios in my car that station boomed into Calgary all the way from great Falls. Most days I caught Paul Harvey during my lunch break, I think he came on at around 12:30. I went to see him talk live in a little town Cascade Montana, was most likely July 4th 1970. Vietnam was still in full swing and I recall he painted a particularly vicious stereotype of the Canadian draft dodgers. I knew three of them at the time and none of them remotely resembled his portrayal. I was standing next to an old rancher and he surprised me by saying he wished his son had gone to Canada instead of being drafted.

Rps
Oct 2nd, 2019, 10:43 AM
So the NL is set: St Louis vs my Braves, Nats vs Dodgers. Donít think my guys have the arms in the late innings. So Iím thinking the Cards will surprise. As for the Nats/Dodgers.....Iím thinking the Nats May be thinking they are the team of destiny here. Either way my NL choice for the Series is still the Cards......for the AL we shall see. Iíve been thinking the Aís for a while now so we will see...Tampa Bay has been lost in the coverage lately.

Dr.G.
Oct 2nd, 2019, 10:49 AM
Listened to it as well. With old tube radios in my car that station boomed into Calgary all the way from great Falls. Most days I caught Paul Harvey during my lunch break, I think he came on at around 12:30. I went to see him talk live in a little town Cascade Montana, was most likely July 4th 1970. Vietnam was still in full swing and I recall he painted a particularly vicious stereotype of the Canadian draft dodgers. I knew three of them at the time and none of them remotely resembled his portrayal. I was standing next to an old rancher and he surprised me by saying he wished his son had gone to Canada instead of being drafted.

Interesting account of Paul Harvey, Bob. He would have made a great baseball radio announcer due to his style of speaking. "And that's the rest of the story". Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G.
Oct 2nd, 2019, 10:51 AM
So the NL is set: St Louis vs my Braves, Nats vs Dodgers. Donít think my guys have the arms in the late innings. So Iím thinking the Cards will surprise. As for the Nats/Dodgers.....Iím thinking the Nats May be thinking they are the team of destiny here. Either way my NL choice for the Series is still the Cards......for the AL we shall see. Iíve been thinking the Aís for a while now so we will see...Tampa Bay has been lost in the coverage lately.

Interesting. I am rooting for the Washington Nationals to win one for both DC and Montreal. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 3rd, 2019, 04:15 AM
Today is the 68th anniversary of "The Shot Heard Round the World", which is my earliest authentic and verified (by my mother) memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09BVTJD4STQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHSdzb37uOg

Trivia question -- Who was on deck after Thompson hit his home run? Hint --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayajfyt90mE

Dr.G.
Oct 4th, 2019, 08:35 PM
Interesting playoff games today.

Dr.G.
Oct 6th, 2019, 08:01 PM
Rp, your Braves have taken a playoff lead for the first time since 2002.

Rps
Oct 6th, 2019, 08:39 PM
Rp, your Braves have taken a playoff lead for the first time since 2002.

Well I must say that was one of the best games Iíve seen in a while.

Dr.G.
Oct 6th, 2019, 09:13 PM
Well I must say that was one of the best games Iíve seen in a while.

True. Close to the very end.

Dr.G.
Oct 7th, 2019, 12:40 PM
This year's playoffs are full of expected outcomes ........... and some surprises. Good baseball is being played, with some great pitching performances and clutch hitting.

Dr.G.
Oct 7th, 2019, 05:23 PM
Rp, your Braves have again pulled ahead of the Cards.

Dr.G.
Oct 7th, 2019, 07:21 PM
Rp, your Braves lost a close one in extra innings.

Rps
Oct 7th, 2019, 10:51 PM
Rp, your Braves lost a close one in extra innings.

Marc in a prior post my thoughts were the Braves didnít have it in the pitching area. I also indicated they should fear the Cards. The Dodger need to watch the Nats. As I said earlier, I think the big guns will go down. Yanks-Houston will be interesting. Iím leaning to the Stros....and for the NL, picking the Cards.

Dr.G.
Oct 8th, 2019, 03:59 AM
Marc in a prior post my thoughts were the Braves didnít have it in the pitching area. I also indicated they should fear the Cards. The Dodger need to watch the Nats. As I said earlier, I think the big guns will go down. Yanks-Houston will be interesting. Iím leaning to the Stros....and for the NL, picking the Cards.

We shall see, mon ami. If Washington loses, I might just have to start rooting for the Yanks as my hometown favorite. I only rooted for them when they played the Dodgers.

BReligion
Oct 8th, 2019, 01:36 PM
...If Washington loses, I might just have to start rooting for the Yanks...

Booo .. There's never a good justification for rooting for the yankees ;)

BReligion

Dr.G.
Oct 8th, 2019, 03:41 PM

BReligion

True. Sadly, my SF Giants, TO Bluejays and NY Mets are not in the playoffs. :-( Wait until next year.

Rps
Oct 8th, 2019, 04:11 PM

BReligion

BR, whatís your call for the Series?

Dr.G.
Oct 9th, 2019, 01:42 PM

Have to go with the home team -- NYC all the way. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 9th, 2019, 08:14 PM
Rp, your Braves are getting blown away by the Cards tonight. :(

Rps
Oct 9th, 2019, 10:04 PM
Yup. If a guy went out for a beer at first pitch it would be 5 zip by he got back. I picked the Cards over the Braves. I also think if the Dodgers can finish the Nats, the Cards could take them.

Dr.G.
Oct 9th, 2019, 10:08 PM
Yup. If a guy went out for a beer at first pitch it would be 5 zip by he got back. I picked the Cards over the Braves. I also think if the Dodgers can finish the Nats, the Cards could take them.

I think that we will see a rematch of the 1955/56 World Series ............. with no perfect game and I am not sure who will win. We shall see. Paix, mon ami.

Rps
Oct 9th, 2019, 10:20 PM
We will see. But the TV execs sure as hell want that matchup.

Dr.G.
Oct 10th, 2019, 04:25 AM
We will see. But the TV execs sure as hell want that matchup.

True ............... but that is out of the picture now. Kershaw allowed 2 HRs to blow Game 5. Such is Life.

I shall be rooting for Washington to win it all ................ in memory of the Montreal Expos ..................... and Walter Johnson. We shall see.

SINC
Oct 10th, 2019, 05:41 AM
Check out the daily gif baseball pitches today!

Dr.G.
Oct 10th, 2019, 07:49 AM
Check out the daily gif baseball pitches today!

:eek::eek::eek::eek: What a difference between the two pitches!!!

BReligion
Oct 10th, 2019, 09:30 AM

I am hoping Astros vs Nationals, but I fear it will be Yanks VS Cards.

BReligion

Rps
Oct 10th, 2019, 09:30 AM
This the reason itís hard to hit them. TBS had a piece on the release with 3 pitches and the motion was identical for all 3 but there was a curve, slider, and fast ball....very interesting.

Still picking the Cards....but the Nats could see themselves as the team of destiny....those are hard to beat. Mark my words, all the sure things will be going down. Donít be surprised if it is a Cards/Tampa series.

Dr.G.
Oct 10th, 2019, 06:35 PM
I am hoping Astros vs Nationals, but I fear it will be Yanks VS Cards.

BReligion

We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 10th, 2019, 06:36 PM
This the reason itís hard to hit them. TBS had a piece on the release with 3 pitches and the motion was identical for all 3 but there was a curve, slider, and fast ball....very interesting.

Still picking the Cards....but the Nats could see themselves as the team of destiny....those are hard to beat. Mark my words, all the sure things will be going down. Donít be surprised if it is a Cards/Tampa series.

Interesting.

We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 11th, 2019, 03:48 AM
Cole pitched a great game last night. A Yankees-Houston series will be the highlight of this playoff schedule. May the best team win.

Rps
Oct 11th, 2019, 09:44 AM
I agree it will be a fun series. The Yanks are an interesting team in that over all batting averages donít seem to match their homerun records.

Dr.G.
Oct 11th, 2019, 11:09 AM
I agree it will be a fun series. The Yanks are an interesting team in that over all batting averages donít seem to match their homerun records.

True ............ and the Twins had one more home run this season than the Yanks. :eek:

Rps
Oct 16th, 2019, 10:14 AM
Well I didnít see the Cards going in 4......guess Iíll go work as a political pundit .

Dr.G.
Oct 16th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Well I didnít see the Cards going in 4......guess Iíll go work as a political pundit .

:clap::clap::clap:

Dr.G.
Oct 17th, 2019, 11:20 AM
October 17, 1989: Game 3 of the '89 World Series.

31 minutes prior to the scheduled first pitch at Candlestick Park, a 6.9 earthquake shook the Bay Area like never before.

Rps
Oct 17th, 2019, 12:06 PM
I remember that...I was at a Kinsmen meeting and suddenly there was a blackout.....about 30 minutes later the power came on and we heard what happened. What was weird was the game broadcast crew of Al Michaels and team was he only feed that was still broadcasting.

Dr.G.
Oct 17th, 2019, 04:04 PM
I remember that...I was at a Kinsmen meeting and suddenly there was a blackout.....about 30 minutes later the power came on and we heard what happened. What was weird was the game broadcast crew of Al Michaels and team was he only feed that was still broadcasting.

Interesting.

Dr.G.
Oct 17th, 2019, 04:04 PM
Still one of the greatest.

https://time.com/3878589/babe-ruth-color-photos-of-the-yankees-legend-late-in-his-career/?fbclid=IwAR0Hm3JelI-gny2nSxLWlgaHiWHMzX6BQmbxTQX8BzoiNncoMQxBGpT_PGk

Dr.G.
Oct 18th, 2019, 04:28 PM
#s 4, 7 and 9 are my favorites, for obvious reasons.

https://www.mlb.com/news/world-series-of-2010s-ranked

https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/buster-posey-2019-season-overview

Rps
Oct 18th, 2019, 06:37 PM
For me, 69 Mets and 80 Phillies......and maybe 72 Aís......

Dr.G.
Oct 18th, 2019, 07:50 PM
For me, 69 Mets and 80 Phillies......and maybe 72 Aís......

The list was for the 2010-19 decade. Still, the 69 Mets were "The Amazing Mets". :love2::love2::love2:

Dr.G.
Oct 18th, 2019, 07:50 PM
The Yanks jumped on Verlander in the first inning tonight.

Dr.G.
Oct 19th, 2019, 04:25 AM
The Yanks have survived to play another day. We shall see.

Rps
Oct 19th, 2019, 10:31 AM
Should be a good game .... coin flip I think.

Dr.G.
Oct 19th, 2019, 11:26 AM
Should be a good game .... coin flip I think.

I agree. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 19th, 2019, 08:53 PM
So far, the coin flip is not going in favor of the Yanks.

Dr.G.
Oct 20th, 2019, 04:47 AM
Stayed up late to see a wild 9th inning last night ................. and a Yankees loss. Such is Life. Now I shall root for the Nats. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 20th, 2019, 06:19 PM
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-october-13-2019-1.5313465/revisiting-the-black-sox-scandal-of-1919-1.5317754?fbclid=IwAR2_L2xqsPsRgo-6xmT5Za30xk1p8egKaBnCeTWTBGjWf3-DYuTl0980POU

An interesting article if you know about the Black Sox scandal.

Rps
Oct 21st, 2019, 11:03 AM
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayedition/the-sunday-edition-for-october-13-2019-1.5313465/revisiting-the-black-sox-scandal-of-1919-1.5317754?fbclid=IwAR2_L2xqsPsRgo-6xmT5Za30xk1p8egKaBnCeTWTBGjWf3-DYuTl0980POU

An interesting article if you know about the Black Sox scandal.

Yup, baseball lore is wonderful. I find it interesting that in the NFL they never wanted a team in Vegas due to ďgamblingĒ.....but if you watch their broadcasts much are sponsored by betting sites....injury lists....probably to even out the betting. Gambling has always been part of league sports....as is the sports lore....Ēsay it ainít soĒ

Dr.G.
Oct 21st, 2019, 01:59 PM
Yup, baseball lore is wonderful. I find it interesting that in the NFL they never wanted a team in Vegas due to ďgamblingĒ.....but if you watch their broadcasts much are sponsored by betting sites....injury lists....probably to even out the betting. Gambling has always been part of league sports....as is the sports lore....Ēsay it ainít soĒ

Sad, but all too true.

Dr.G.
Oct 22nd, 2019, 10:06 AM
Nats in 7. We shall see.

FeXL
Oct 22nd, 2019, 01:49 PM
It's Time For Automated Ball And Strike Calls In MLB (http://ace.mu.nu/archives/383869.php)

The Yankees got beaten fair and square, and they have nobody to blame but themselves. And the crap calls at the plate hurt both teams last night, so this isn't a partisan gripe about the inherent unfairness of MLB toward The Yankees (that's for another rant).

But the strike zone last night was pathetic, and it affected the play of both teams. When a batter has to wonder where the strike zone is, in addition to having just a split-second to decide whether to swing, it plays havoc with the essence of the game.

Dr.G.
Oct 22nd, 2019, 02:55 PM
It's Time For Automated Ball And Strike Calls In MLB (http://ace.mu.nu/archives/383869.php)

I am torn on this one, FeXL. I watch the games and see the box that they superimpose in front of the batter. Then watch the image that replicates the trajectory of the ball. There are times when I have thought "that was a strike" or "that was no strike". Still, I guess I am a bit of a purist when it comes to calling balls and strikes. Still, instant replay has helped in determining if a runner reached base before or after the throw. We shall see. Paix, mon ami.

BReligion
Oct 22nd, 2019, 04:14 PM
I am torn on this one, FeXL. I watch the games and see the box that they superimpose in front of the batter. Then watch the image that replicates the trajectory of the ball. There are times when I have thought "that was a strike" or "that was no strike". Still, I guess I am a bit of a purist when it comes to calling balls and strikes. Still, instant replay has helped in determining if a runner reached base before or after the throw. We shall see. Paix, mon ami.

+1

It's part of the game and part of the adjustment that all players need to make as the game goes on.

As long as an umpire is consistent that's all that should matter. You are getting the outside of the plate or the high fastball, or you are not. IF an umpire isn't consistent that's a problem and really they shouldn't be behind the plate at this level.

BReligion

FeXL
Oct 22nd, 2019, 08:58 PM
I don't really have an opinion on it. It just happened to be the latest of a few articles I've read on the subject in the last couple months or so.

I am torn on this one, FeXL.

Dr.G.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 05:11 AM
This wasn't the pitching duel I thought it might be for game 1. Max Scherzer versus Gerrit Cole both ran out of gas mid-game. Still, the Nats won and they are closer to a World Series title than they were at this time yesterday. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 05:12 AM
+1

It's part of the game and part of the adjustment that all players need to make as the game goes on.

As long as an umpire is consistent that's all that should matter. You are getting the outside of the plate or the high fastball, or you are not. IF an umpire isn't consistent that's a problem and really they shouldn't be behind the plate at this level.

BReligion

A valid point. So long as the batters and pitchers can expect a high or low strike zone, both may adjust throughout the game.

Dr.G.
Oct 23rd, 2019, 07:46 PM
Strasburg vs Verlander .................... this should be quite the pitching matchup tonight. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 24th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Washington really poured in on to Houston last night. Wow!!!!!!

Dr.G.
Oct 24th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Players with 3-HR games in World Series history:
Babe Ruth (1926 & 1928)
Reggie Jackson (1977)
Albert Pujols (2011)
Pablo Sandoval (2012)
- end of list -

Dr.G.
Oct 27th, 2019, 05:46 PM
Max Scherzer is not starting Game 5 for the Nationals -- not good new for the Nats. :(

Dr.G.
Oct 27th, 2019, 09:48 PM
Washington's hitters are not doing their part tonight. :(

Dr.G.
Oct 28th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Strasburg vs Verlander once again tomorrow .................... this should be quite the pitching match up. We shall see.

Rps
Oct 28th, 2019, 09:57 AM
Hopefully I can get to see what may be the final game. The Stros have hitting through their line up. But this has been an away series so far so it may continue but I doubt it.

Dr.G.
Oct 28th, 2019, 11:07 AM
Hopefully I can get to see what may be the final game. The Stros have hitting through their line up. But this has been an away series so far so it may continue but I doubt it.

We shall see. Washington's bats need to wake up if they are to have any chance. :yawn:

Dr.G.
Oct 30th, 2019, 04:44 AM
Great game last night. Strasburg should have been allowed to go for a complete game. Still, it is all on the line tonight. Go Nats!!!!

Rps
Oct 30th, 2019, 10:31 AM
Well I would like to see the Nats win as I lean more to the NL game....but for many they are cheering for them as the ghost of the Expos...but after 15 years these guys are not the ĎSpoís. Letís hope the Monday Curse can be avoided. Verlander is now, what, 0 and 6 in World Series play? Wonder if that will hurt his HoF chances.

So, who you picking for MVP in each league? For me it would be Springer in the AL. And as much as I like Freeman, Iím thinking Rendon in the NL.

Best acquisition this year, hands down for me was Goldschmidt.

Dr.G.
Oct 30th, 2019, 10:39 AM
Well I would like to see the Nats win as I lean more to the NL game....but for many they are cheering for them as the ghost of the Expos...but after 15 years these guys are not the ĎSpoís. Letís hope the Monday Curse can be avoided. Verlander is now, what, 0 and 6 in World Series play? Wonder if that will hurt his HoF chances.

So, who you picking for MVP in each league? For me it would be Springer in the AL. And as much as I like Freeman, Iím thinking Rendon in the NL.

Best acquisition this year, hands down for me was Goldschmidt.

If the Nats win, it will be a first -- each home team lost each game played at home. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 30th, 2019, 04:50 PM
Max Scherzer starts for the Nationals, and he's opposed by Houston's Zack Greinke. This will mark the first time ever that two former Cy Young winners have started a World Series Game 7.

Rps
Oct 30th, 2019, 05:24 PM
Donít see Scherzer going 3.

Dr.G.
Oct 30th, 2019, 05:44 PM

We shall see. So long as the Nats win, I shall be happy.

Dr.G.
Oct 30th, 2019, 08:36 PM

Sadly, you might be right. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Oct 31st, 2019, 04:35 AM
The Washington Nationals finally won. Too bad they could not have done this when they were the Montreal Expos. Such is Life.

Dr.G.
Oct 31st, 2019, 08:57 AM
An interesting article about the Nats.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/10/22/washington-baseball-history-beginners-guide-senators-grays-nationals/

Rps
Oct 31st, 2019, 09:44 AM
I got nuthiní.

Dr.G.
Oct 31st, 2019, 10:32 AM
I got nuthiní.

Well, I told you not to bet on Houston. :D

Dr.G.
Nov 1st, 2019, 05:03 PM
What a game!!! https://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july-2-1963-marichal-outduels-spahn-16-inning-thriller?fbclid=IwAR1Zt2j5pCWlNGNshxjSSt4LOovP98hl 4_jCt3rp0VcR00XZ2Q9o_ukSA6g

Dr.G.
Nov 1st, 2019, 05:06 PM
November 1, 2010: "For the first time in 52 years, the Giants are World Champions!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk5pGUEOMn8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmFxg7M7Yg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cozyVqGdDjo

Dr.G.
Nov 1st, 2019, 10:37 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/new-york-mets-name-carlos-beltran-new-manager/

An interesting choice.

Rps
Nov 1st, 2019, 10:57 PM
True, but I believe their issues are based a level higher.

p.s. I think Calloway will come back to haunt them.

Dr.G.
Nov 2nd, 2019, 04:59 AM
True, but I believe their issues are based a level higher.

p.s. I think Calloway will come back to haunt them.

We shall see. I always wanted to see Willie Mays manage some teach. Such is Life.

Rps
Nov 2nd, 2019, 10:53 AM
Now that would be a good selection I think. Who I think could help the Mets is Ron Washington......his age might be a factor though as more and more old school guys are being ignored. I really liked what Atlanta did with Snickers......an .org-man getting a shot.

Dr.G.
Nov 2nd, 2019, 01:13 PM
Now that would be a good selection I think. Who I think could help the Mets is Ron Washington......his age might be a factor though as more and more old school guys are being ignored. I really liked what Atlanta did with Snickers......an .org-man getting a shot.

Yes, Willie Mays certainly knew all aspects of the game. Ron Washington would also be a good choice, as would Dusty Baker.

Dr.G.
Nov 2nd, 2019, 02:40 PM
Big parade for the Nats taking place right now in Washington, DC

Dr.G.
Nov 5th, 2019, 01:06 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/madison-bumgarner-will-smith-qualifying-offers

We shall see.

Rps
Nov 5th, 2019, 02:57 PM
B-man is only 30, so might be worth a look on the market. The issue I see is with the new rule changes they are looking at, especially when it comes to pitching changes, I think lefties will be a thing of the past....you donít want his contract running over potential rule changes.That said, baseball seems to have swallowed more than itís share of dumb pills. Pitchers do not slow the game down as much as, pick off plays, foul balls, and TV broadcasts. You want to speed the game up, limit the number of foul balls.....I mean a foul ball on a third strike on a bunt and you are gone....but fouling off 23 pitches is exciting?

Dr.G.
Nov 5th, 2019, 06:42 PM
B-man is only 30, so might be worth a look on the market. The issue I see is with the new rule changes they are looking at, especially when it comes to pitching changes, I think lefties will be a thing of the past....you donít want his contract running over potential rule changes.That said, baseball seems to have swallowed more than itís share of dumb pills. Pitchers do not slow the game down as much as, pick off plays, foul balls, and TV broadcasts. You want to speed the game up, limit the number of foul balls.....I mean a foul ball on a third strike on a bunt and you are gone....but fouling off 23 pitches is exciting?

My SF Giants include Bumgarner and Smith.

Limit foul balls ................... interesting, but I guess I am a purist. Let me stay at bat until I get a hit or am called out.

Dr.G.
Nov 6th, 2019, 08:14 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-braves-targeting-madison-bumgarner-red-sox-yet-to-talk-extension-with-mookie-betts-this-offseason/

:eek::(:(:(

Rps
Nov 7th, 2019, 03:36 PM
Not sure how I feel about this.....I could see Syndergaard.....but Bumgarner...hmmmmmm big bucks maybe. If I was Atlanta Iíd be thinking Betts, their internal pitching system seems to be working just fine and you would bet the Giants would want a pitcher or two and an infielder for him....plus future draft picks. Too expensive for me.

Dr.G.
Nov 7th, 2019, 06:49 PM
Not sure how I feel about this.....I could see Syndergaard.....but Bumgarner...hmmmmmm big bucks maybe. If I was Atlanta Iíd be thinking Betts, their internal pitching system seems to be working just fine and you would bet the Giants would want a pitcher or two and an infielder for him....plus future draft picks. Too expensive for me.

We shall see. :confused::confused::confused:

BReligion
Nov 8th, 2019, 01:14 PM
Limit foul balls ................... interesting, but I guess I am a purist. Let me stay at bat until I get a hit or am called out.

+1 as long as you get a piece (and said piece doesn't go into the catchers mit) your still alive for as long as it takes

BReligion

Dr.G.
Nov 8th, 2019, 01:23 PM
+1 as long as you get a piece (and said piece doesn't go into the catchers mit) your still alive for as long as it takes

BReligion

I agree.

Rps
Nov 8th, 2019, 01:24 PM

BReligion

Would that not be the exact description of a third strike bunt foul?

Rps
Nov 8th, 2019, 01:58 PM
You could speed up the game using in subtle ways such as:

Standardise the foul space in each ball park, I know this would take years to accomplish....much like my view that all new arenas in the NHL be the size in Europe, but larger more accessible foul areas would mean more foul outs and....as seen in London, more active outfielders.

Once in the batter box if a batter steps out other than avoiding being hit by a ball call it a strike.

Really enforce pitch clock rules

All review calls should have a 20 second rule.....if it is not obvious in replay let the call stand.

Move to a point system....3 points for a win and 1 for a tie ( now that will upset purists )

Allow pitcher substitutions for pitchers who have already have been in the game....but no warm up.

Okay, unleash the hounds......

Dr.G.
Nov 8th, 2019, 02:43 PM
You could speed up the game using in subtle ways such as:

Standardise the foul space in each ball park, I know this would take years to accomplish....much like my view that all new arenas in the NHL be the size in Europe, but larger more accessible foul areas would mean more foul outs and....as seen in London, more active outfielders.

Once in the batter box if a batter steps out other than avoiding being hit by a ball call it a strike.

Really enforce pitch clock rules

All review calls should have a 20 second rule.....if it is not obvious in replay let the call stand.

Move to a point system....3 points for a win and 1 for a tie ( now that will upset purists )

Allow pitcher substitutions for pitchers who have already have been in the game....but no warm up.

Okay, unleash the hounds......

I don't think your first point will ever be considered, along with the point system, but the others are possibilities. Paix, mon ami.

"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war."

Dr.G.
Nov 14th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Astros' Justin Verlander wins AL Cy Young Award over teammate Gerrit Cole.

Mets' Jacob deGrom takes NL Cy Young for second straight year.

Rps
Nov 14th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Astros' Justin Verlander wins AL Cy Young Award over teammate Gerrit Cole.

Mets' Jacob deGrom takes NL Cy Young for second straight year.

Personally, I would have given it to Cole....but hard to argue really. DeGrom was my choice as well.

Dr.G.
Nov 14th, 2019, 03:03 PM
Personally, I would have given it to Cole....but hard to argue really. DeGrom was my choice as well.

Agreed. Wait until next year. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Dec 9th, 2019, 04:45 PM
Interesting news ...........

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-winter-meetings-rumors-strasburg-signs-record-deal-with-nationals-bumgarner-wants-nine-figures/

Rps
Dec 10th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Interesting news ...........

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-winter-meetings-rumors-strasburg-signs-record-deal-with-nationals-bumgarner-wants-nine-figures/

Well, I agree that Rendon is gone.....and really I would have kept him over Strasburg who I think will age out over his contract...even with about 90 million held back....not worth it.

Bumgarner might be in the same boat as well. Donaldson is indeed the benefactor....but he has a booster in Atlanta....but Atlanta does have some money issues.

To me, and he does have a few issues, Iíd be looking at Syndergaard....might be a bargain pickup with the market today.

Rendon would look good in a Dodgers uni.....or....a Giants.

Dr.G.
Dec 10th, 2019, 01:09 PM
Well, I agree that Rendon is gone.....and really I would have kept him over Strasburg who I think will age out over his contract...even with about 90 million held back....not worth it.

Bumgarner might be in the same boat as well. Donaldson is indeed the benefactor....but he has a booster in Atlanta....but Atlanta does have some money issues.

To me, and he does have a few issues, Iíd be looking at Syndergaard....might be a bargain pickup with the market today.

Rendon would look good in a Dodgers uni.....or....a Giants.

Well, the SF Giants need a variety of player if they are to be a contender once again. We shall see.

Rps
Dec 12th, 2019, 11:11 AM
Well I had the state right with Rendon.....any takers on whether the Angels will win the league....theyíve got to be favourites going into the season.....and they might not be done yet either.....look for another pitcher grab.

Dr.G.
Dec 12th, 2019, 04:27 PM
Well I had the state right with Rendon.....any takers on whether the Angels will win the league....theyíve got to be favourites going into the season.....and they might not be done yet either.....look for another pitcher grab.

The big market teams have the money to spend. We shall see what the Yanks do now.

Rps
Dec 12th, 2019, 04:59 PM
The big market teams have the money to spend. We shall see what the Yanks do now.

Well after signing Cole to $350 mil, not sure what else they can afford.

Dr.G.
Dec 13th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Well after signing Cole to $350 mil, not sure what else they can afford.

We shall see.

Dr.G.
Dec 18th, 2019, 03:20 PM
https://www.mlb.com/giants/news/giants-2020-rotation-without-madison-bumgarner

:( :( :(

Rps
Dec 18th, 2019, 03:25 PM
Me thinks they will do some shopping....Mets and Yanks look good for the picking.....the Jays already emptied their closet.

Dr.G.
Dec 18th, 2019, 08:46 PM
Me thinks they will do some shopping....Mets and Yanks look good for the picking.....the Jays already emptied their closet.

We shall see.

Dr.G.
Jan 2nd, 2020, 07:36 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/yankees-legend-don-larsen-only-pitcher-with-perfect-game-in-world-series-history-dies-at-age-90/

Sad. The principal of my public school piped in the last half inning of Larsen's perfect game since he knew that many of the students were either Yankee, Dodger or Giants fans. I still get goose bumps when I see the video clips of the last batter striking out.

Dr.G.
Jan 2nd, 2020, 08:28 AM
https://theweek.com/captured/578968/most-joyous-yogi-berra-hugs-baseball-history?fbclid=IwAR09fTrJHDQJDNUp6HtMwEBiuosViANck nUUrYskjZpkN0JBbwDgVDEAw9w

Rps
Jan 2nd, 2020, 10:25 AM
Strange that with all the No Hitters tossed, about 300, and only about 20 Perfect Games, there was only one in the WS. Quite a feat!

SINC
Jan 2nd, 2020, 11:54 AM
Don Larsen, Only Pitcher To Throw Perfect World Series Game, Dies At 90

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/02/792963548/don-larsen-only-pitcher-to-throw-perfect-world-series-game-dies-at-90

Sorry Marc, did not realize you had posted as I did not click the link. I always include the story headline when I post a link to let others know what subject I posted. ;)

Dr.G.
Jan 2nd, 2020, 11:56 AM
Strange that with all the No Hitters tossed, about 300, and only about 20 Perfect Games, there was only one in the WS. Quite a feat!

True. That was the highlight of his career. Quite the accomplishment. :clap::clap::clap:

eMacMan
Jan 2nd, 2020, 02:10 PM
Don Larsen, Only Pitcher To Throw Perfect World Series Game, Dies At 90

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/02/792963548/don-larsen-only-pitcher-to-throw-perfect-world-series-game-dies-at-90

If memory serves, Mickey Mantle described Larsen somewhat like this. Scary wild. He would stare down at the hitters through those coke bottle glasses lenses, and during his warm-up pitches every so often one would sail over the back stop.

SINC
Jan 2nd, 2020, 03:25 PM
If memory serves, Mickey Mantle described Larsen somewhat like this. Scary wild. He would stare down at the hitters through those coke bottle glasses lenses, and during his warm-up pitches every so often one would sail over the back stop.

I just realized Marc had posted this news first since I did not click the link to know the story details. I always include the headline to show the subject matter of the link as many links leave no clue as to its content. Sorry about that Marc! :o

Dr.G.
Jan 2nd, 2020, 04:14 PM

You are describing Ryne Duran. Yogi would tell him to sail one about five feet over the umps head when he was warming up, and then Yogi would tell the batter to be careful since RD was a bit wild today. Sadly, RD also pitched many games quite drunk. :(

Dr.G.
Jan 2nd, 2020, 04:15 PM
I just realized Marc had posted this news first since I did not click the link to know the story details. I always include the headline to show the subject matter of the link as many links leave no clue as to its content. Sorry about that Marc! :o

No problem. Paix, mon ami.

SINC
Jan 14th, 2020, 12:18 PM
I did not realize this was common in baseball.

https://www.sportscasting.com/baseball-players-who-were-caught-cheating/

Dr.G.
Jan 14th, 2020, 12:53 PM

:eek::(:(:(:(:( Sadly, true for some teams.

Rps
Jan 14th, 2020, 02:39 PM

Don, baseball is legendary for its cheating. If you want some hypocrisy check out football....camera and pictures and what not during games.....even tablets....all recording the offensive and defensive line up. And we wonít even discuss holding and other interference in the scrum. If you get paid to win you will find cheating somewhere in the game.

Dr.G.
Jan 14th, 2020, 03:02 PM
Don, baseball is legendary for its cheating. If you want some hypocrisy check out football....camera and pictures and what not during games.....even tablets....all recording the offensive and defensive line up. And we wonít even discuss holding and other interference in the scrum. If you get paid to win you will find cheating somewhere in the game.

:(:(:( Add to this gambling. :-(

SINC
Jan 14th, 2020, 03:08 PM
Since I never saw you two discussing it before, I was surprised when it was all over the news this morning.

eMacMan
Jan 14th, 2020, 03:31 PM
Since I never saw you two discussing it before, I was surprised when it was all over the news this morning.

It's like corrupt politicians. The practice is so common no one thinks it worth discussing.

I still think Barry Bonds home run total should have a syringe next to it. Ditto A-Rod. At least Henry and the Babe came by their records a bit more honestly.

Dr.G.
Jan 14th, 2020, 05:13 PM
It's like corrupt politicians. The practice is so common no one thinks it worth discussing.

I still think Barry Bonds home run total should have a syringe next to it. Ditto A-Rod. At least Henry and the Babe came by their records a bit more honestly.

Yes, I forgot to add steroids to the plight of gambling.

Dr.G.
Jan 14th, 2020, 05:25 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/pete-rose-chimes-in-on-astros-cheating-scandal-i-was-wrong-for-gambling-but-i-didnt-taint-the-game/

An interesting view on this cheating from Pete Rose.

Rps
Jan 15th, 2020, 12:02 PM

I agree on the practise....but the Babe used what was available as well. What I have always contended was sport is entertainment....do they kick stars out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for using drugs....what about the Oscars, Tonyís, Golden Globes.

Itís entertainment ..... that said, gambling raises its ugly head here. What would have been interesting is if the Commish yanked the WS from them. Wonder if the Astroís won two years in a row if he thought about that......

Beltran should be looking over his shoulders. Nothing worse than a Commish on a moral mission.

Rps
Jan 15th, 2020, 12:06 PM

Sinc, eMacManís comment nails it....Quasimodo was a hunchback.

BReligion
Jan 15th, 2020, 02:20 PM
Yup.. it's like figuring out a poker players tell.. If you can do it, good on you... it only becomes illegal when you use something other then your own ability to figure it out and communicate it.

I.E. Thermal Imaging Camera on said poker player, when he gets a good hand his temp rises so you relay that to an ear piece at the table... vs noticing a twitch, card stacking, chip fiddling or opening your Oreos a certain way :)

BReligion

Dr.G.
Jan 16th, 2020, 03:17 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/16/us/carlos-beltran-mets-astros-scandal/index.html

Rps
Jan 17th, 2020, 12:20 PM
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/16/us/carlos-beltran-mets-astros-scandal/index.html

The knives will be out for Jessica Mendoza as well. Sadly they will take an NFL approach and have ear pieces in the catcher and pitchers ear...pitches called by the pitching coach.

The video game that baseball is becoming will destroy the game I feel.

I think of the many rules changes I would like to see is the advent of the point system....3 for a win and 1 for a tie....I donít care if they steal signs....they all do it.

Dr.G.
Jan 17th, 2020, 04:25 PM
The knives will be out for Jessica Mendoza as well. Sadly they will take an NFL approach and have ear pieces in the catcher and pitchers ear...pitches called by the pitching coach.

The video game that baseball is becoming will destroy the game I feel.

I think of the many rules changes I would like to see is the advent of the point system....3 for a win and 1 for a tie....I donít care if they steal signs....they all do it.

:( :( :(

Add to this fantasy baseball leagues where a person does not care what team wins, just if the player he/she selected does well. :eek:

Dr.G.
Jan 21st, 2020, 06:24 PM
Derek Jeter and Larry Walker voted into baseball Hall of Fame.

Good for both of them. Well earned.

Rps
Jan 22nd, 2020, 10:35 AM
Derek Jeter and Larry Walker voted into baseball Hall of Fame.

Good for both of them. Well earned.

Jeter was a no-brainer. Walker, on the other hand, was late in coming. Glad to see he made it.

I personally am not a HoF fan, but baseballs is at least the hardest to get into.

I would like to see a HoF structure as follows....100 slots, if somebody goes in someone has to come out.....this is the all timers. Then have 10 slots for ďerasĒ. Once the 10 in an era is filled if someone new goes in someone has to come out. The number of eras would be the question....Iím thinking a period of 20 years per era......some might say 10.

Dr.G.
Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:50 AM
Jeter was a no-brainer. Walker, on the other hand, was late in coming. Glad to see he made it.

I personally am not a HoF fan, but baseballs is at least the hardest to get into.

I would like to see a HoF structure as follows....100 slots, if somebody goes in someone has to come out.....this is the all timers. Then have 10 slots for ďerasĒ. Once the 10 in an era is filled if someone new goes in someone has to come out. The number of eras would be the question....Iím thinking a period of 20 years per era......some might say 10.

Well, I am in favor of whomever puts up HoF stats should get in .............. so long as they are steroid clean. As for Pete Rose, I would let him in now.

Rps
Jan 22nd, 2020, 11:53 AM
Well, I am in favor of whomever puts up HoF stats should get in .............. so long as they are steroid clean. As for Pete Rose, I would let him in now.

Would you say his chances are Astro-nomical.

Dr.G.
Jan 22nd, 2020, 02:13 PM
Would you say his chances are Astro-nomical.

:confused::eek::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dr.G.
Jan 26th, 2020, 11:18 AM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2872907-robot-umps-can-help-restore-fans-eroded-faith-in-mlbs-credibility?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

It should prove to be an interesting experiment. We shall see.

Rps
Jan 26th, 2020, 11:31 AM
Actually, I donít like it as it spoils a major aspect of the game....MLB, in its video game mind set, is missing the point that the umps are as much a part of baseball as the players. All this talk of tech is a way to capture the interest of the gamers. Take the NFL with itís data tracks, now the NHL with trackers on the players.

Baseball is a human game....it teaches us how to deal with failure....MLB is going down the wrong path here. In 10 years there wonít be any umps and that will be a loss in the humanity of the game.

If you wish to grow the game, then ensure that kids can not only play it....but see it....either on TV or in person. I remember when we lived in Bowmanville, Dominion Stores.....and later Miracle Mart had general admission tickets for 99cents ( for the Blue Jays and the Argos ). The stands were filled with parents and their kids. We took our guys to many games. In Edmonton the Eskimos used to have Woodwardís ( which was a department store ) Knothole Gang....a section in the end zone where kids could watch the game for a quarter.....all those kids grew up to buy the high priced seats in later years.

MLB has to win the culture of playing-watching back.

Dr.G.
Jan 26th, 2020, 01:23 PM
"Baseball is a human game....it teaches us how to deal with failure....MLB is going down the wrong path here. In 10 years there wonít be any umps and that will be a loss in the humanity of the game. " I strongly agree with you here, Rp. Paix, mon ami.

Dr.G.
Jan 28th, 2020, 02:31 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/why-2028-could-be-the-year-that-reshapes-expands-and-completely-alters-major-league-baseball/

Quite the speculations.

Rps
Jan 28th, 2020, 04:20 PM
Hi Marc, yes ...some are going to happen for sure. I believe the Rays will move....having said that I donít think there will be any team left in Florida...same reason attendance. Not sure if Montreal will get a team....Vancouver is a maybe and is nicely set geographically moving down. Montreal is like St. Louis in the NFL....nice city but better offer elsewhere.

154 game season is a lock...no one wants to play baseball in November anywhere. Wild Cards...agreed. Have two in each league.

DH...harder sell....but you might as well turn MLB into the NHL......have league play which means nothing then a tourney for the cup....

Dr.G.
Jan 29th, 2020, 04:15 AM
Hi Marc, yes ...some are going to happen for sure. I believe the Rays will move....having said that I donít think there will be any team left in Florida...same reason attendance. Not sure if Montreal will get a team....Vancouver is a maybe and is nicely set geographically moving down. Montreal is like St. Louis in the NFL....nice city but better offer elsewhere.

154 game season is a lock...no one wants to play baseball in November anywhere. Wild Cards...agreed. Have two in each league.

DH...harder sell....but you might as well turn MLB into the NHL......have league play which means nothing then a tourney for the cup....

I think that Montreal could and would support a team.

As for a shorter season, I am all for it as well. We shall see.

Dr.G.
Feb 6th, 2020, 04:51 PM
I know it is not about baseball, but still it is a TO achievement.

"Raptors set franchise record with 12th straight win in wild rally against Pacers.

The Raptors' streak is one of the longest in Toronto sports history. The Toronto Blue Jays won 11 in a row five times. The Maple Leafs' longest win streak is 10 games in 1993. The Argonauts won 10 straight in 1997. "

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors-indiana-pacers-basketball-recap-1.5453506?fbclid=IwAR1aOiPfFRCQibMRxAkPKbUvAx9NQQ_ I_qxV0pqiDqlYmUXAD-J6CyczWXo

Dr.G.
Feb 10th, 2020, 05:15 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/report-red-sox-trade-mookie-price-to-dodgers-in-amended-deal/ar-BBZOLRL?ocid=spartanntp

AND Boston has to pay millions to get rid of Price.

Rps
Feb 10th, 2020, 10:25 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/report-red-sox-trade-mookie-price-to-dodgers-in-amended-deal/ar-BBZOLRL?ocid=spartanntp

AND Boston has to pay millions to get rid of Price.

Hmmmmmmmm! Something goiní On here......not sure what but the Red Sox have the coin.....the fact the Dodgers bought tells me the owners are fiddling here.....letís see what the Yanks are going to do......I wonder if there is an under the table deal due to the Astros .

Dr.G.
Feb 10th, 2020, 01:31 PM
Hmmmmmmmm! Something goiní On here......not sure what but the Red Sox have the coin.....the fact the Dodgers bought tells me the owners are fiddling here.....letís see what the Yanks are going to do......I wonder if there is an under the table deal due to the Astros .

We shall see. Seems like a bad financial deal to me. :confused::eek:

Dr.G.
Feb 11th, 2020, 04:07 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2875682-14-team-expanded-playoff-format-is-perfect-fix-to-reinvigorate-mlb-for-a-new-era?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Not sure if I want to see most of the actual season nullified with this playoff format.

Rps
Feb 11th, 2020, 04:49 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2875682-14-team-expanded-playoff-format-is-perfect-fix-to-reinvigorate-mlb-for-a-new-era?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Not sure if I want to see most of the actual season nullified with this playoff format.

Iím thinking, for the most part, more WC teams will make the regular season more meaningful for the non division winning teams. I liked the 2 WC teams...not sure if I like 3 with the 162 game season....drop to 154 and I can see this.

BReligion
Feb 12th, 2020, 08:57 AM

"...Attendance was down for the 7th straight season..."
I know this is a radical crazy idea but you want to put asses in seats...How about you NOT pay someone $330 million dollars to play a game, take a fraction of that savings and drop overall ticket prices to something like $10-$50 a ticket across all of MLB... or even more crazy, Kids (12 and under) are free. Take the rest of that savings and attack the concession stand prices or transportation (speaking specifically about Toronto here).

Overall make it so it's more financially feasible for families to go to more than a ballgame or two a year and inspire generations to come about the ballpark experience.

I know the last time I took the wife and my oldest boy, between go train, tickets, food we were nearly $300 or more. That's just not sustainable.
Don't get me wrong, Rogers centre lets you bring in your own food now. So thankfully I bring snacks for my son and empty water bottles for drink, so its just pizza and hotdogs and maybe a pop (not even a beer). That's still almost $50.

In Hamilton at least, the HSR (bus system) is free across the entire city (not just shuttle stations) on game day if you show a TiCats Ticket to the driver.

It's sure not MLB or even AAA but if my son and I are in a mood to watch some decent live baseball, we can go watch the IBL league in Hamilton for $10 adult, kids are free, hotdog is $2, pizza is $4 and parking is free.

BReligion

SINC
Feb 12th, 2020, 09:13 AM
^

Great post BReligion!

You have hit the nail on the head and your observations apply to almost every pro sport with the exception of the CFL which is bordering on crossing the line of 'family affordable' and are having difficulty putting bums in seats in some markets for this very reason. It's time to stop paying pro athletes obscene amounts of money and making sports a family event again. Our daughter buys an eight-game two-seat package per year with a group buy that sets her back $340 a game for two nose\bleed seats at Rogers Place where beer is $10.50 and a hot dog $13. It pushes over $400 a game for parking, food and the LRT ride downtown.

Rps
Feb 12th, 2020, 09:44 AM
^

Great post BReligion!

You have hit the nail on the head and your observations apply to almost every pro sport with the exception of the CFL which is bordering on crossing the line of 'family affordable' and are having difficulty putting bums in seats in some markets for this very reason. It's time to stop paying pro athletes obscene amounts of money and making sports a family event again. Our daughter buys an eight-game two-seat package per year with a group buy that sets her back $340 a game for two nose\bleed seats at Rogers Place where beer is $10.50 and a hot dog $13. It pushes over $400 a game for parking, food and the LRT ride downtown.

Yuppers! Don were you in the Edmonton area when they had The Knothole Gang?
The Jays used to have Toonie Tuesday, and back further were the 99 cent Jay and Argo tickets in general admission. The irony here is that higher prices mean lower attendance which moves to TV.....but those salaries increase tv commercial time which makes the game longer and turns off the fans.

A solution would be a hard cap......no tax as in baseball. But that said, take the hard cap and say we donít care how big your roster is.....but you canít go over the cap..so you might have a 40 man team...but the cap is the same...long run....more players less individual salary, lower ticket prices in the future.

eMacMan
Feb 12th, 2020, 09:59 AM
^

Great post BReligion!

Yep! I will add that limiting CFL exposure to cable TV has essentially removed the league from the radar of more than a few potential customers. That said the CFL does provide employment for many athletes who lack the physical size to make the big league. It also provides others a proving ground. And it provides great entertainment value at the same time.

I am more and more convinced that many Canadian cities would benefit from an all Canadian hockey league that serves a similar purpose and structure to the CFL. But what do I know?

Rps
Feb 12th, 2020, 10:02 AM
Yup....cable has killed my watching any CFL here in Windsor. Iím old enough to remember when both CBC and CTV carried CFL games and they did a joint broadcast of the Grey Cup......

Dr.G.
Feb 12th, 2020, 04:07 PM
Yup....cable has killed my watching any CFL here in Windsor. Iím old enough to remember when both CBC and CTV carried CFL games and they did a joint broadcast of the Grey Cup......

It does not look like Halifax will be getting a CFL team. We shall see.

Rps
Feb 12th, 2020, 04:54 PM
It does not look like Halifax will be getting a CFL team. We shall see.

Marc, no one is going to build a stadium in Halifax....toooooooooo much money.
NB has one that can expand with portable stands...you would need around 25000 to make money....I donít this the maritimes has that fan base. Look at Toronto, you could put a big crowd at an Argo game in the hockey rink.

Dr.G.
Feb 12th, 2020, 06:14 PM
Marc, no one is going to build a stadium in Halifax....toooooooooo much money.
NB has one that can expand with portable stands...you would need around 25000 to make money....I donít this the maritimes has that fan base. Look at Toronto, you could put a big crowd at an Argo game in the hockey rink.

True. The team wanted the land for free, tax breaks and funds to help build the stadium, that the city/province could rent if they needed the venue.